• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POLL - Wyndham Membership Composition

What is your VIP level and do you own resale? (Select One)

• Resale Only

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Non-VIP Retail only

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Non-VIP Both Retail and Resale

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • VIP-SILVER Retail only

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • VIP-SIVER Both Retail and Resale

• VIP-GOLD Retail only

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • VIP-GOLD Both Retail and Resale

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • VIP-PLATINUM Retail only

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • VIP-PLATINUM Both Retail and Resale

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • VIP-PR RESERVE Retail only

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • VIP-PR RESERVE Retail and Resale

• VIP-SILVER Resale Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VIP-GOLD Resale Only

• VIP-PLATINUM Resale only

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • VIP-PR Resale only

• Total voters

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Here's the text I received:

Hey there. It's been a while since I've seen the stats. Not sure they are putting that info out anymore. I know it used to be about 5% platinum (probably less than 1% PR due to inventory limitations), and around 15% gold. I would guess around 30% silver due to the fact that new owners automatically get silver with all but the minimum purchase. Resale is probably 5% of the owner base. I'll see if I can get some current info. I'm curious too.

I think he means 'member' when he writes 'owner'. 5% resale seems to be in line with 20k mentioned here.

As they say, DATA is beautiful. It has meaning to those who can interpret it.

Insiders info: P(PR)-G-S-N-R breakdown is 5(1)-15-30-45-5.
TUGBBS Poll: P(PR)-G-S-N-R breakdown is 29(9)-17-5-9-40.
Platinum and Resale only owners are overrepresented. They have the most to gain from this forum. They want to maximize the benefits of Wyndham TS.
Non-VIPs and VIP-Silver are underrepresented. I guess they may think they have the least to gain from this forum. They either regret their TS purchase or can't really maximize the meager benefits. Perhaps they do not know about TUGBBS or don't care to join it.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I validated with two different sales managers at sales updates this past weekend the following stats:

PR: 1%
VIPP: 3%
VIPG: 8%
VIPS: 42%
R: 5%

Using your breakdown: 3%(1%)-8%-42%-42%-5%=100%

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I validated with two different sales managers at sales updates this past weekend the following stats:

PR: 1%
VIPP: 3%
VIPG: 8%
VIPS: 42%
R: 5%

Using your breakdown: 3%(1%)-8%-42%-42%-5%=100%

So 95% of owners have at least some retail points?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d say you’re about right. In this poll it’s about the same number for resale only & resale with developer so overall it’s probably about 5% also.
That makes roughly 90% of all owners are retail purchasers only

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

So says Wyndham as I’ve asked several different Wyndhamites, including two executives how much resale is out there and the answer was around 20k owners. That’s out of 423k owners total, or around 5%. I question if this 5% includes owners who hold both retail and resale, but I don’t have an answer on this item just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many VIP points have been sold and have become resale points? I also would like to know how many resale points a year are sold private sale. Add another category the resale points Ovations takes back and then Wyndham sells as developer points? This could be another poll.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many VIP points have been sold and have become resale points? I also would like to know how many resale points a year are sold private sale. Add another category the resale points Ovations takes back and then Wyndham sells as developer points? This could be another poll.
Every resale contract over 400k had to be a VIP contract. It seems like it would be half of all points on eBay, but evidently not half or you’d think there’d be a higher percentage of VIP owners than discussed in the other thread

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every resale contract over 400k had to be a VIP contract. It seems like it would be half of all points on eBay, but evidently not half or you’d think there’d be a higher percentage of VIP owners than discussed in the other thread
If VIP owner sells their points private party they become resale points. If a VIP owner giveS back points to Ovations they become developer points that are actually developer resale points. Can these points also be Developer VIP RESALE POINTS?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If VIP owner sells their points private party they become resale points. If a VIP owner giveS back points to Ovations they become developer points that are actually developer resale points. Can these points also be Developer VIP RESALE POINTS?
The only points that I’d call Developer VIP resale points would be foreclosures & piggyback contracts.
We’ll never know how many points Wyndham gets from owners via Ovations & buying from owners like yourself, we’d all be making wild guesses with nothing to back it up. The only thing for sure is Wyndham does sell those points as retail purchases.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only points that I’d call Developer VIP resale points would be foreclosures & piggyback contracts.
We’ll never know how many points Wyndham gets from owners via Ovations & buying from owners like yourself, we’d all be making wild guesses with nothing to back it up. The only thing for sure is Wyndham does sell those points as retail purchases.
So are you saying Ovations is a way for Wyndham to sell resale points at developer pricing?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
So are you saying Ovations is a way for Wyndham to sell resale points at developer pricing?
No I think they eat them for lunch. Get real
What the heck do you think DVC, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt or any other developer does with contracts they take back??

Thank you Wyndham for having Ovations allowing owners to Deedback their contracts instead of having owners walking away leaving the rest of us owners with a bill for the higher cost involved when an owner walks away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Wyndham for Ovations so owners have a better option than using Exit Companies

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

If Wyndham uses Ovations to take back a paid retail contract from an owner, it's not a resale contract by definition. If an owner hands in a paid retail contract - they are eligible for the Limited Edition Ovations program. If an owner hands in a paid resale contract that they obtained via a third party - they are not eligible for the Limited Edition Ovations program because of the resale contract status. The definition of a resale contract is an existing owner using a third party to sell their paid contract to someone else without any developer involvement - it's a third party transaction. When the deed is changed as part of the ownership transfer - and then submitted to Wyndham for processing - Wyndham labels this contract as a resale transaction.

If an owner comes to Wyndham directly, via Ovations, to relinquish either their retail or resale contract(s) directly to Wyndham - Wyndham takes back the contracts - and processes the contracts back into their unsold points pool - which is then managed by their sales and marketing division - this is the division that handles all product sales for Wyndham Destinations.

I really do not understand why you're asking this question: So are you saying Ovations is a way for Wyndham to sell resale points at developer pricing?

What is your intention here? What are you trying to really get at? Do you not want Wyndham to provide an exit strategy to owners who no longer want their timeshare who don't want to entertain third parties? Honestly, you already know the answers to the questions you're asking here, I know you do, so why ask the question repeatedly in multiple threads over time? I really don't understand the logic behind what you seem to be doing here and would appreciate an open and honest explanation, as I'm sure others would as well.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
What the heck do you think DVC, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt or any other developer does with contracts they take back??

Thank you Wyndham for having Ovations allowing owners to Deedback their contracts instead of having owners walking away leaving the rest of us owners with a bill for the higher cost involved when an owner walks away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Wyndham for Ovations so owners have a better option than using Exit Companies
Eat them for lunch? I agree on Ovations it is very profitable to Wyndham shareholders. This helps @Fredflintstone way of traveling using dividends with the purchase of Wyndham stock.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

Agree, as much as it stinks, to pay all that money just to give it back - I am thankful Ovations is there.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
When a manufacturer refurbishes a returned product and resells it, it's explicitly labeled 'refurbished' because it's not a 'NEW' product.
When Ovation takes back a TS UDI, there's nothing to refurbish and it's indistinguishable from the original product. So there is no difference between NEW and USED.
From a COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) perspective, I would argue that COGS for a deed taken back by Ovations is more than their unsold deed. After all, Ovations incurs costs that must be allocated to the deeds taken back.

So, @dgalati, if your point is Wyndham is somehow no different from Exit companies and shouldn't be selling the deedbacks at full price again, it doesn't make sense.
Exit companies are like undertakers getting rid of dead corpses collecting fees for the disposal. Wyndham Ovation brings them back to full life endowed with VIP potential so as to protect its brand.
Ok, @Braindead, don't stretch my analogy and argue why 'resale' is not a dead corpse and how it still gets VIP Benefits or that I am calling Wyndham Dr. Frankenstein!
Please indulge me as I indulge in a cute/clever/stupid analogy!:)

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a manufacturer refurbishes a returned product and resells it, it's explicitly labeled 'refurbished' because it's not a 'NEW' product.
When you take back a TS UDI, there's nothing to refurbish and it's indistinguishable from the original product. So there is no difference between NEW or USED.
From a COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) perspective, I would argue that COGS for a deed taken back by Ovations is more than their unsold deed. After all, Ovations incurs costs that must be allocated to the deeds taken back.

So, @dgalati, if your point is Wyndham is somehow no different from Exit companies and shouldn't be selling the deedbacks at full price again, it doesn't make sense.
Exit companies are like undertakers getting rid of dead corpses collecting fees for the disposal. Wyndham Ovation brings them back to full life endowed with VIP potential so as to protect its brand.
Ok, @Braindead, don't stretch my analogy and argue why 'resale' is not a dead corpse and how it still gets VIP Benefits or that I am calling Wyndham Dr. Frankenstein!
Please indulge me as I indulge in a cute/clever/stupid analogy!:)
I think you have it correct @SNA27

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@CO skier @SNA27
As you know, I am a data-curious person. As attached, Gallup famously uses a sample of 1004 people to represent 260 million people, or 1 sample per 260k people.

I think @SNA27 ’s poll is useful and sticky-worthy. Obviously, tuggers are a self-selecting group. I find it interesting that while resale-only owners comprise 5 percent of all Wyndham owners but 42 percent on TUG.

Attachments

• 261F00DD-8B37-4B87-AFD3-4EEA78B8C472.png
    261F00DD-8B37-4B87-AFD3-4EEA78B8C472.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I find it interesting that while only resale only owners comprise 5 percent of all Wyndham owners but 42 percent on TUG.

This makes perfect sense to me, given the fact that TUG openly advocates for resale only timeshare ownership. Therefore a much higher percentage of TUG members are going to prefer and own only resale timeshare contracts. :)

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
It makes perfect sense to me too. The people on this forum are mainly the type of people who do their research before buying something since the forum itself is the main way to research the product. Resale is the most economical membership type. You can end up paying less over all with VIP over many years, but it requires a LONG commitment in order to start seeing the savings, making resale the most economical and appealing to the majority of people who do their research before buying something.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A well-chosen RANDOM sample will reflect the whole population with a great degree of accuracy. Statistics is a very interesting subject and well established Mathematical Science.

To quote a Tamil proverb: For a pot of rice, one grain is the test! That is, to see if a pot of rice is cooked, you need to test only one grain.
This proverb is really not a testament to sampling per se but it is more about inductive generalization from a sample.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
A well-chosen RANDOM sample will reflect the whole population with a great degree of accuracy. Statistics is a very interesting subject and well established Mathematical Science.

To quote a Tamil proverb: For a pot of rice, one grain is the test! That is, to see if a pot of rice is cooked, you need to test only one grain.
This proverb is really not a testament to sampling per se but it is more about inductive generalization from a sample.

As many have stated already, a sample of self-selecting respondents to an online poll on TUG, which is itself a self-selecting minor subset of the population of Wyndham owners, is likely to have quite a bit of bias in it. There may be some value to this poll, but it doesn't seem entirely random or representative of that population; I would question whether or not it is representative of TUG members as well.