• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Poll: what is the rate of success with your rental listings on Redweek?

Rate of success Redweek listings . You list:

• 6+ weeks/year Average rate of success 0%-30%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Here we go ........ Timeshare and ROI …….. in the same post again :wall:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Because some (most) of us didn’t buy a TS with ROI in mind. We bought to have the vacations we wanted.

Two of my weeks (WKV Plat+) just turned out to have a very positive ROI - and still going strong. And another, Maui OF (WKORV OFD) may not have a positive ROI, but renting the studio side has given us a great (if not the best) OF villa for ~$200/nite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because some (most) of us didn’t buy a TS with ROI in mind. We bought to have the vacations we wanted.

That's very true however, regardless of the reason for the purchase it is an "investment". Now, determining if it's a good or bad investment is an entirely different matter.

As for the "return", that depends on the individual investor. The return can be a nice vacation at a reasonable cost or it could be financial.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
That's very true however, regardless of the reason for the purchase it is an "investment". Now, determining if it's a good or bad investment is an entirely different matter.

As for the "return", that depends on the individual investor. The return can be a nice vacation at a reasonable cost or it could be financial.

The only truism that I heard coming from a TS Salesperson is that you are investing in vacation.
The rest is comparing apples and oranges (except they are both fruit).

My ‘investment’ in TSing is minimal compared to my other investments.
IMO - this should be a major factor in deciding to get into TSing (eg. Disposable Income)
And... Life isn’t all about money.

And... and this thread was about RedWeek success.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
As for timeshare salesperson, we agree.

As I noted before, understanding the location and desirability of the time of year, is very important along with other factors. I also agree, investing in timeshares is without doubt risky. Knowing how to reduce those risks, as with any investment, is key. If anyone is not willing to put in the time and effort to understand the market, simply don't do it. I would also disagree that getting a positive return on such an investment is impossible.

As for "Life isn't all about money", nothing could be more true. ;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I also agree, investing in timeshares is without doubt risky. Knowing how to reduce those risks, as with any investment, is key. If anyone is not willing to put in the time and effort to understand the market, simply don't do it. I would also disagree that getting a positive return on such an investment is impossible.

I did not say that investing in TSs is risky. I did not bring risk into the discussion. I was referring to disposable income - this comes without risk since in the premise is that it is disposable (gone).

In fact - without prior intent - it is possible to get a positive ROI.
I did...
But, that wasn’t the point.

Stating the obvious between investing and risk sounds to me that you are trying to sell something.
Especially when not aligned with OP.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that success should be defined. Some feel that recovering MFs is a success. Others feel that would be a failure, as there was no profit for the time invested.
Also RW seems to be very good for Marriott owners. For other resorts, there seems to be no or low demand.
So it would be helpful if people could answer with something like "I do 20% above MF with my ABC resort week during prime season" or "I am successful because I cover MFs"

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not say that investing in TSs is risky. I did not bring risk into the discussion. I was referring to disposable income - this comes without risk since in the premise is that it is disposable (gone).

In fact - without prior intent - it is possible to get a positive ROI.
I did...
But, that wasn’t the point.

Stating the obvious between investing and risk sounds to me that you are trying to sell something.
Especially when not aligned with OP.

If that's the case, perhaps we both misunderstood. An adult discussion about pointing out the risks of any investments is just that, a discussion. I have nothing to sell you and I certainly wouldn't use this format if I did.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I currently have Vistana , Marriott and Hawaii weeks for rent via RW. I will be thrilled to break even on our Hawaii and Westin week. If not, I will transfer to II.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I currently have Vistana , Marriott and Hawaii weeks for rent via RW. I will be thrilled to break even on our Hawaii and Westin week. If not, I will transfer to II.
My Marriott week has rented via VC. VC is definitely better for MVC.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
That has not been my experience with Redweek full service rental, unless they recently changed something. I did not respond to the rental offer for several days without issue. I don't know what was going on in the background. Perhaps they said to my prospective renter that the owner hasn't responded and the renter asked for more time.

And if you don't respond, there is no rental agreement for them to cancel. Redweek will continue to list the rental until there is a rental agreement signed by both parties or until the agreed upon time period expires. There is an upfront fee for them to list the rental whether the week gets rented or not. The rent commission is only charged if the unit rents. They don't take down your listing just because you don't respond within 24 hours.

I don't think that's what you were implying, but I could see how people could infer that from your post.
Same. They sent me an email saying to respond as soon as possible, or within 7 days maybe? Idk I sent the confirmation of name change within an hour so

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Vacation Candy gets $500 of your final rental price and 10% of any amount over $5k. They also have an option to extend the listing to VRBO for another 5%

I’ve rented my winter Marriott Maui weeks through them for three years now. Generally getting $5-6K for 2BR OF. Net to me has been around $4-5K. As noted previously, HI has a lot of taxes. I started being legit this year and Pay the TAT and GET tax of 14.5% out of my net. The 7% MF increase was a killer this year as rents aren’t rising. MF is about $3k.

That said, two 2020 weeks rented in excess of $6k early in 2019, but the studios have been hard to move. Usually last minute at $2-2500. Gross net dollars earned isn’t that great, but actual percent return isn’t bad. While it will take a while for all of these to sell when I’m ready, I don’t expect to lose money after taking rental income into account and I get to chose when I go each winter without any booking issues as they are all fixed weeks, except one.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
By VC you mean Vacation Club? Don't they take upwards of 30%? Do you get to set an asking price?
It’s Vacation Candy and you set your net price.