• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Poll: what is the rate of success with your rental listings on Redweek?

Rate of success Redweek listings . You list:

• 6+ weeks/year Average rate of success 0%-30%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are hundreds if not thousands of rental listings on Redweek. I am curious, as an owner, what is your rate of success with you listings on Redweek? Any details (resort, season etc) are appreciated.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On behalf of an elderly couple I know who have owned for years and years at Holiday Inn Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee, I rented a 3 BR, 3 bath early March week for $1250. I started advertising in December (more than sixty days out appears to be a sweet spot). They hoped for much more and had always assumed they could rent for much more....but I told them to forget about getting 1400 like others were trying to get for their 2 BRs. Go for $1250 and get it rented. And it got rented while I noticed other listings expired. Some 1400s allegedly did get "rented"...but I'm wondering if some lowball offers may have been involved. Or if the unit rented elsewhere. Or the person ultimately decided to (1) go after all or (2) bank it since it hadn't rented. No way to tell.

I've also used redweek for some of my own listings without success. Airbnb worked better for me, but I always had to net out just a little bit more than the MF. So, no, timeshares are not good rental property investments. :)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, Redweek just doesn't do it. I prefer Airbnb, with VRBO/Homeaway a close second.

Redweek doesn't come close to spending what's needed on advertising to the general public. That's where I look for the renters needed. Timeshares can be good investments as rentals if you understand the market and not overestimate the returns on those rentals. As with any real estate investment it's, location, location, location. Keep in mind with timeshares you must understand the time of year or week when the unit will be most popular. Also, know your competitor's asking price. That includes not only the resort, but other owners as well. Perhaps more so.

With the units I rent, very seldom will I lose money for the year. Should that happen, I'll turn to another unit owned for recovery of those funds. At the end of the day, never invest in any timeshare that you anticipate a return of investment of less than 20%. Anything less than that, it's simply not worth the time or effort.

Always know what you own, and know why you own it. Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing. ;)

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, never invest in any timeshare that you anticipate a return of investment of less than 20%. Anything less than that, it's simply not worth the time or effort.

I would argue that 20% is a poor return on your "investment" if it requires hours and hours of work to make. In that case, it's not just "investing" but pay for all the work you did.

You gotta spend significant time in preparing the Airbnb ad. Describing everything in glowing terms. Downloading tens of pictures, preferably those you took yourself of your own hopefully desirable timeshare unit and its precise location in the resort with the precise view they'll get. And being ever so careful that you don't make a mistake.

Mistakes can include:

• Not correctly blocking off unavailable days on the "calendar". And you'll have to block off everything for years out because all you're offering is one single week.
  • Mistakenly allowing someone to "instant book" so, if you had made a mistake on your calendar, someone will be able to book (via credit card charge) that random 2020 or 2021 week which you don't own
  • Without checking with the resort, accepting people's booking for only a partial week, then booking another person for some other days, only to find out the resort does NOT want to keep accepting and giving out keys, nor do they want to do a separate cleaning. For some resorts, it's no problem. For others, no just no.
When you add up all the time you spend preparing the ad, making sure you've done everything right, editing and updating, responding to inquiries, setting up a guest certificate (or multiple guest certificates), setting up a midweek cleaning if necessary, etc, etc., etc., you've put hours and hours of work into making a pittance. $200 over a $1000 maintenance fee is a pittance. I'd rather drive uber for a day to make that kind of nothing compensation.

And that's if you succeed at all. If not, you're out the MF. Gone. Poof.

So, no, don't think you'll become rich by just sitting back and letting the money roll in by "investing" in timeshares. :)

Last edited:

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the poll results. Somebody claims that they rent out 6+ timeshare units annually with a 70 to 100% success rate. On Redweek. Care to share?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would argue that 20% is a poor return on your "investment" if it requires hours and hours of work to make. In that case, it's not just "investing" but pay for all the work you did.

You gotta spend significant time in preparing the Airbnb ad. Describing everything in glowing terms. Downloading tens of pictures, preferably those you took yourself of your own hopefully desirable timeshare unit and its precise location in the resort with the precise view they'll get. And being ever so careful that you don't make a mistake.

Mistakes can include:

• Not correctly blocking off unavailable days on the "calendar". And you'll have to block off everything for years out because all you're offering is one single week.
  • Mistakenly allowing someone to "instant book" so, if you had made a mistake on your calendar, someone will be able to book (via credit card charge) that random 2020 or 2021 week which you don't own
  • Without checking with the resort, accepting people's booking for only a partial week, then booking another person for some other days, only to find out the resort does NOT want to keep accepting and giving out keys, nor do they want to do a separate cleaning. For some resorts, it's no problem. For others, no just no.
When you add up all the time you spend preparing the ad, making sure you've done everything right, editing and updating, responding to inquiries, setting up a guest certificate (or multiple guest certificates), setting up a midweek cleaning if necessary, etc, etc., etc., you've put hours and hours of work into making a pittance. $200 over a $1000 maintenance fee is a pittance. I'd rather drive uber for a day to make that kind of nothing compensation.

And that's if you succeed at all. If not, you're out the MF. Gone. Poof.

So, no, don't think you'll become rich by just sitting back and letting the money roll in by "investing" in timeshares. :)

Seems you have your definition of time well spent and I have mine and I'm not going to debate that. Understanding not only what a ROI is and what a good ROI is, is key.
For most investors, a 15% ROI is good. I always expect more.

I've never spent "significant" time in preparing any Airbnb, VRBO/Homeaway or Trip Advisor listing. After the first few, most people understand the platform and I'm certainly not saying
that there's not a few, such as yourself, that struggle. Downloading photographs, with any basic computer knowledge, isn't a problem. Both Airbnb and VRBO/Homeaway offer easy
to understand directions for even the novice. Same goes for the calendar. Even in the beginning, I've never "put hours and hours of work" into any of my listings. Perhaps you're right, if listing on any site is that much of a struggle for you, you may want to look to Uber.

Investing some time and understanding risks involved are part of any investment and most people, apparently not all it seems, understand no investment will guarantee you become rich
while "just sitting back and letting the money roll in".

I'm sorry you didn't understand the sites but hey, good luck with that whole Uber idea. :thumbup:

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems you have your definition of time well spent and I have mine and I'm not going to debate that. Understanding not only what a ROI is and what a good ROI is, is key.
For most investors, a 15% ROI is good. I always expect more.

I've never spent "significant" time in preparing any Airbnb, VRBO/Homeaway or Trip Advisor listing. After the first few, most people understand the platform and I'm certainly not saying
that there's not a few, such as yourself, that struggle. Downloading photographs, with any basic computer knowledge, isn't a problem. Both Airbnb and VRBO/Homeaway offer easy
to understand directions for even the novice. Same goes for the calendar. Even in the beginning, I've never "put hours and hours of work" into any of my listings. Perhaps you're right, if listing on any site is that much of a struggle for you, you may want to look to Uber.

Investing some time and understanding risks involved are part of any investment and most people, apparently not all it seems, understand no investment will guarantee you become rich
while "just sitting back and letting the money roll in".

I'm sorry you didn't understand the sites but hey, good luck with that whole Uber idea. :thumbup:

The reason for my post was to express my opinion to those who may be contemplating getting into the timeshare rental business, perhaps based upon your representations, that this alleged "investment" may not be so great after all.

Whether or not it's a "struggle" for me to write an ad, maneuver through websites, or download pictures, is not at all relevant.

So we'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I didn’t see a ‘Poll’, but my success rate on RedWeek is 100% over the last 10+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I haven't used Redweek to rent my timeshares for maybe 4 years + and I didn't like it too much. I am not a fan of renting to total strangers even though I have. I did better sending emails when I wanted to rent out my unit. Occasionally I would mention a unit on Linkedin with fast results. I used facebook once but decided I have too many cheap low balling friends, lol.

Bill

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I just looked at the poll results. Somebody claims that they rent out 6+ timeshare units annually with a 70 to 100% success rate. On Redweek. Care to share?
In 2019 I was 9 for 11. For the 2 that did not rent I turned down a reasonable offer on one week (mistake on my part) and the 2nd was a posted Marriott Holding point reservation at Oceana Palms that did not rent in the 50 available days for the posting (received low ball offers that I turned down). Just redeposited the points back into my account and was able to get a reservation within 60 days at the Marriott Phuket Beach Club used for a vacation last October.

For 2020 I am 18 for 20. I have 2 postings (highlighted below) still active which were reserved using 2021 borrowed points. If they do not rent I will redeposit the points at 61 days so they don't go into the holding account.

All Marriott properties. All reservations were booked with points using the full service option as I don't want to deal with the paper work. I'm netting ~$0.66 per point after Redweek fees which is close to the going rate for Marriott point rentals. My maintenance fee's per point are calculated actuals based on my portfolio except for 2021 which are estimated.

The key is good properties, competitive pricing, early bookings (give 10 months advertising time as I plan to pull any reservations before the 60 day window to avoid points in the holding account) and using Redweek Full Service listings which will normally rent faster than those that are not.

I'm only renting now because we have more points than we can use until retirement. I treat it as a hobby and enjoy the time spent managing the Marriott Vacation portfolio along with rentals. I did not do this as a way to make money on an investment although it is nice to see some small return of capital.

Selective information from a spreadsheet I maintain for tax purposes.

1579572119204.png

Last edited:

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2019 I was 9 for 11. For the 2 that did not rent I turned down a reasonable offer on one week (mistake on my part) and the 2nd was a posted Marriott Holding point reservation at Oceana Palms that did not rent in the 50 available days for the posting (received low ball offers that I turned down). Just redeposited the points back into my account and was able to get a reservation within 60 days at the Marriott Phuket Beach Club used for a vacation last October.

For 2020 I am 18 for 20. I have 2 postings (highlighted below) still active which were reserved using 2021 borrowed points. If they do not rent I will redeposit the points at 61 days so they don't go into the holding account.

All Marriott properties. All reservations were booked with points using the full service option as I don't want to deal with the paper work. I'm netting ~$0.66 per point after Redweek fees which is close to the going rate for Marriott point rentals. My maintenance fee's per point are calculated actuals based on my portfolio except for 2021 which are estimated.

The key is good properties, competitive pricing, early bookings (give 10 months advertising time as I plan to pull any reservations before the 60 day window to avoid points I the holding account) and using Redweek Full Service listings which will normally rent faster than those that are not.

I'm only renting now because we have more points than we can use until retirement. I treat it as a hobby and enjoy the time spent managing the Marriott Vacation portfolio along with rentals. I did not do this as a way to make money on an investment although it is nice to see some small return of capital.

View attachment 16480
Thank you for that. It seems that those resorts, just by looking at the rates of weekly rent, are among the most desirable in the world.

Of course, under those circumstances, I would expect that you would be able to rent at significantly higher dollar amounts than your maintenance fees. But I'm assuming there was a pretty big upfront capital investment...no?

Lastly, you offered for rent 11 properties in 2019 (successfully renting 9) and 20 properties in 2020 (successfully renting 18). You seem to really be picking up the pace of offering timeshare units for rent. Indeed, 2020 has barely started and you've already offered 20 for rent!!! Did you just recently buy many, many more timeshare units....or was it that you were able to use past accumulated points (as well as future points as you described) to trade into/reserve more 2020 weeks?

Again, many thanks for being forthcoming.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Thank you for that. It seems that those resorts, just by looking at the rates of weekly rent, are among the most desirable in the world.

Of course, under those circumstances, I would expect that you would be able to rent at significantly higher dollar amounts than your maintenance fees. But I'm assuming there was a pretty big upfront capital investment...no?

Lastly, you offered for rent 11 properties in 2019 (successfully renting 9) and 20 properties in 2020 (successfully renting 18). You seem to really be picking up the pace of offering timeshare units for rent. Indeed, 2020 has barely started and you've already offered 20 for rent!!! Did you just recently buy many, many more timeshare units....or was it that you were able to use past accumulated points (as well as future points as you described) to trade into/reserve more 2020 weeks?

Again, many thanks for being forthcoming.
Details in the link below:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've already rented 18 of 23 2020 listings with 85%-90% via RW and VacationCandy probably the 2nd most successful platform for me. I've been using RW for as long as I remember and have 100+ weeks through them. I have high demand Marriotts so don't have much trouble but not happy RW started renting weeks themselves a few years ago. Now starting to dabble with AirBnB and have landed one with them.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

The key is good properties, competitive pricing, early bookings (give 10 months advertising time as I plan to pull any reservations before the 60 day window to avoid points in the holding account) and using Redweek Full Service listings which will normally rent faster than those that are not.

View attachment 16480
are any upfront costs considered in your calculations?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
are any upfront costs considered in your calculations?
No upfront costs included in the calculations. Rental Amount less Redweek Fees less Maintenance Fees = Return on Capital

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I do 6+ with 100% success on Redweek. I have not used any other method. The only service I use from Redweek is the advertising. I use DocuSign for contracts and PayPal or personal check for payments. Also, I collect Transient Accommodations Tax and General Excise Tax (over 14%) and pay directly to the state taxing authority. The resort collects the Occupancy Tax. I don't think many owners are collecting these taxes.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I haven’t had luck w/ VC but will give it another try for our MVC.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I figure my return on capital this way:
(Total Fees Collected - Accommodation & Excise Taxes - Redweek Advertising Fees - Maintenance Fees - PayPal Fees) / (Purchase price + Closing Costs) x 100 = % Return on Investment
Once I got the process down, I don't spend a great amount of time doing it. As for investing, I would recommend the stock market over time shares. I try to use my timeshares as much as possible, and rent when I can't go.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Details in the link below:

Thanks again. I never learned anything about Marriott so some of what you wrote is not clear to me. There seems to be an upfront expense involved for (1) purchase price and (2) unless I'm mistaken, "enrolling". Am I right about that? I noticed that you wrote that you had learned all about this via TUG so a link to an article would be much appreciated.

I'm not planning on "investing", and I recognize that that's not what you did, either. I understand that the rentals are just "tiding you over" until you can enjoy the weeks yourself. Dem's a whole bunch of vacations!

But I do find this fascinating. And the whole "after retirement" lifestyle choice is fascinating.

And what about Phuket? I know that they had a horrific tsunami, that the tsunami was featured in the movie "The Impossible", but it's apparently an amazing resort town/city to which people from all over the world travel. I'm assuming, however, that it offers much more than a beach vacation. What might that be?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again. I never learned anything about Marriott so some of what you wrote is not clear to me. There seems to be an upfront expense involved for (1) purchase price and (2) unless I'm mistaken, "enrolling". Am I right about that? I noticed that you wrote that you had learned all about this via TUG so a link to an article would be much appreciated.

I'm not planning on "investing", and I recognize that that's not what you did, either. I understand that the rentals are just "tiding you over" until you can enjoy the weeks yourself. Dem's a whole bunch of vacations!

But I do find this fascinating. And the whole "after retirement" lifestyle choice is fascinating.

And what about Phuket? I know that they had a horrific tsunami, that the tsunami was featured in the movie "The Impossible", but it's apparently an amazing resort town/city to which people from all over the world travel. I'm assuming, however, that it offers much more than a beach vacation. What might that be?
Yes always an initial purchase from Marriott to enter the Destinations Program. In the past Marriott has run an “enrollment” special that allows one to enroll purchased resale week(s) in the Marriott Destinations program. If available (not currently) the enrollment special requires one to purchase from Marriott additional Destination points, a week or 2 at Marriott prices or a combination of the 2 called a hybrid package. This effectively gives one the option to convert a low cost resale week(s) into points allowing more flexibility and access to other resorts in the Marriott Vacation Club portfolio without having to deposit and go through Interval. It is expensive anytime you purchase directly from Marriott. Combining the Marriott purchase with resale purchases can significantly lower your per point costs. Still a big financial commitment for vacationing.

I have learned the Marriott Timeshare process over the last 13 years of ownership not just from TUG. Looking back I have made mistakes (should have joined TUG earlier) but overall feel I have developed a portfolio of weeks/points at a reasonable overall entry point and ongoing maintenance fees while continuing to take memorable vacations with family and friends. Unfortunately there is not one article summarizing everything on Marriott Timeshares but the Marriott Vacation Forum on TUG has a wealth of information and the best place to search.

Phuket tsunami was back in 2004. No major damage to the Marriott Phuket Beach Club at the time as it is north of the airport and at a higher beach elevation than the resorts to the South (many were near sea level) of the airport. Lots to do in Phuket and would suggest TUG and trip advisor for research. Opportunities for day trips to Krabi, Phi Phi, James Bond Island, Similian Islands (season dependent) plus local opportunities visiting Phuket Town, Phuket Weekend Night Market, Fantasia, Elephant Sanctuary, ATV riding, Horse Riding, Splash Jungle Water Park and many many more things to stay busy with. We spend most of our time just enjoying time at the Marriott Phuket Beach Resort and surrounding Mai Khao Beach area.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I find it easy to rent.
Hard part is profiting.
As a points owner I hand pick my weeks. Researching events and high demand slots. I've done my homework. Supply and demand.
I can even profit in Orlando.

I could rent more for others but I would worry about something going wrong and renter not getting vacation do to say, falling behind on MF's.

I need to be in control to assure nothing goes wrong with the rental.

Dave

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not rent out very often other than my Banff summer 2 bedroom week. In years past it was hard to get much more than maintenance fees on redweek so usually I used a direct exchange with a TUGGER. A few years ago I started using airbnb and allowing the week to be split in 2 segments and that has paid 2-3 times over my maintenance fees.
This year I have too many worldmark points as I rented in points to get a family member a vacation. They had to cancel it due to ridiculous airfares so I have tried to rent it on redweek with no luck. It is Mexico and I think that is just an easy place to rent into. I had also booked a July 4th week at Marina Dunes but a family vacation to Alaska has made me unable to go. Posted that on Redweek and it is already rented at about 150% over costs even including the high TOT on that location. Looks like that rental will go well. My problem is as a Canadian I cannot rent out US timeshares on airbnb without filling out some US tax forms. More aggravation than I want so I am forced to stick to Redweek for the occasional week I have to rent.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I'm not quite sure why "Timeshare" and "ROI" appears in the same posts.
ROI implies an investment and Timeshare is anything but; no one should buy a TS expecting to make money from it. If you do, great.
I'm currently net positive but that's only because I purchased at the lowest point; resale market is currently about 30% higher. That could easily change.
Marriott could make changes making the property less desirable for sale.

We have 5 weeks and rent out two each year. Have had 100% success with Redweek every time. I have the two renting weeks listed for sale at high price. If someone bites, I'm fine with that.
We list 2 consecutive 2BR Island View Ko Olina weeks for early July every year.
There are always 6-12 competing ads. We ask $100 less than the lowest one and have never failed to rent.

Regarding the poll, I have to ask: what is deemed a non-success?
In addition to zero bites to a Redweek ad, I would consider having to rent through Redweek for less than MF unsuccessful.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just had three weeks on redweek.

I rented two of them and the third was rented by RW but I didn't respond to their email in time and they let the rental go.

Be Aware with redweek, when they find a renter you have 1 full day to respond back to them or they will cancel the rental. AND they still expect their fee

The third unit I rented thru craig's list

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Be Aware with redweek, when they find a renter you have 1 full day to respond back to them or they will cancel the rental. AND they still expect their fee

That has not been my experience with Redweek full service rental, unless they recently changed something. I did not respond to the rental offer for several days without issue. I don't know what was going on in the background. Perhaps they said to my prospective renter that the owner hasn't responded and the renter asked for more time.

And if you don't respond, there is no rental agreement for them to cancel. Redweek will continue to list the rental until there is a rental agreement signed by both parties or until the agreed upon time period expires. There is an upfront fee for them to list the rental whether the week gets rented or not. The rent commission is only charged if the unit rents. They don't take down your listing just because you don't respond within 24 hours.

I don't think that's what you were implying, but I could see how people could infer that from your post.