• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Polite way to say “no thanks” at timeshare presentation

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My (new) wife and I are in Las Vegas and scheduled to attend a timeshare presentation as part of obtaining a reduced cost of staying at a resort here. (Her idea...)

I’m a polite and considerate person and would appreciate advice on a way to gently but firmly say “thanks, but no thanks” to our host tomorrow after the two-hour presentation that’s part of our deal.

There’s no way we’re buying — just looking for a nice way to let the man or woman down.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts!

Guy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Honestly - it doesn't matter how you say it. They will not take no for an answer, and will have a response for every excuse for not buying. Be sure you spouse understands this before you go, and make sure she understands that buying is not a option.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
A polite way to say "no thanks" is just to say "no thanks". Keep saying it, with a smile, as often as needed.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Start your timeshare with the price of their unit on the secondary market followed by We are interested in buying if you can provide a lower cost. We have had a couple 20 minute timeshare meetings. Why waste their time. Be upfront and honest.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My (new) wife and I are in Las Vegas and scheduled to attend a timeshare presentation as part of obtaining a reduced cost of staying at a resort here. (Her idea...)

I’m a polite and considerate person and would appreciate advice on a way to gently but firmly say “thanks, but no thanks” to our host tomorrow after the two-hour presentation that’s part of our deal.

There’s no way we’re buying — just looking for a nice way to let the man or woman down.

Guy
Timeshare guy with a name like that you want to know how to deal with these situations. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh but best best is not to agree to these timeshare presentations. As a matter as a matter of fact within the last 30 minutes I received the call from Marriott inviting me to a presentation only because they are mining data that I am staying at a nearby Resort that was booked through Interval International. The resort I am staying at is not even affiliated with Marriott. However it appears that since Marriott has access to intervals data Marriott now knows where I am staying. and they hire these sweet talkin young ladies to call me and invite me to their nearby resort to sit down and learn all about their latest new. so I just decided to entertain this young lady and tell her all that I know about Marriott and Interval International. I think she got tired of my lecture and she knew I wasn't about to attend. You You you just need to say no. Now that you're committed you will have to just talk about golf your favorite subjects Sports the stock the the economy. Oh I a good a subject. Why don't you start talking about politics is that where to get interesting.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be easier for me than you. We are seniors, and I tell them that "we are in the liquidation phase rather than the acquisition phase of our lives. Would you like one if our timeshares?" But when they don't catch on, I have no qualms about resorting to simple insults about their hearing or comprehension. The easy ones accept a firm, NO for an answer. It usually has to be repeated

Jim

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hi everyone!

Guy
Just say, no thank you, practice as they will make it sound like they are giving you the deal of the century. They are not. You can but resale at most places for pennies on the dollar or get it for free.

Congratulations on your new marriage and show your wife all our responses too.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

Since you are already committed to this presentation, I will give you a heads-up regarding your situation. Sales people in situations like yours like to play one spouse against the other in an effort to break you down. They will boldly say to you right in front of your new spouse things along the lines of "Why don't you want the best for your beautiful new bride?" or "Do you really want do deny your precious wife the finer things in life like luxury travel?"

Another low-life measure they like to resort to is to keep your presentation gift from you until one of you starts to get restless and say to the other "Let's just sign the papers and get out of here." Then the other one just might feel compelled to comply in order to prevent a marital dispute during your precious holiday.

Again, just a heads-up as to what to possibly expect.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tell them what I know... I know where I can get resales. Then they tell me it's not the same... I'll miss out on _____ system or deals etc. Then I explain to them how the resales totally meet my desires for vacation. Then they give me grief for attending when I knew I wouldn't buy. And I tell them the gift enticed it to "listen to a sales update."

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just don't show up. There is no polite way to deal with these sharks.

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare guy with a name like that you want to know how to deal with these situations. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh but best best is not to agree to these timeshare presentations.

I agree. I know quite a bit about timeshare and even wrote a book entitled Timeshare Secrets a few years ago. My new wife booked this holiday hoping to save a little money by going to this presentation and I am just fishing for tips on letting these people down gently — that’s all. Thanks.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I agree. I know quite a bit about timeshare and even wrote a book entitled Timeshare Secrets a few years ago. My new wife booked this holiday hoping to save a little money by going to this presentation and I am just fishing for tips on letting these people down gently — that’s all. Thanks.
There is no gentle way. The timeshare sales people do this for a living. You say no, they make no commission.

You are going in knowing you will say no and a good sales rep will know that. I can understand why they would not be happy.

Yes, “many” are liars , etc.,etc. (not all). Unfortunately their companies follow the solicitation idea the more bodies we get the better our chances to sell. For the salesperson it is the luck of the draw.

After going to two of these presentations I do not go to these presentations anymore as I do not want to deal with harassment if I get one of those unrelenting salespeople. More because I was in real estate and never liked anyone wasting my time with just looking because they wanted to see decorations.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Who is giving the presentation, which system? Some of them can be really nasty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
just keep saying NO, until they walk you out the door.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I know quite a bit about timeshare and even wrote a book entitled Timeshare Secrets a few years ago.
Maybe gift the salesperson with an autographed copy of your book when you arrive?

DianneL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask no questions about the property, listen only. If they try to play on your sense of pity by saying they or family member has some type of medical issue, reply that you have a close friend in the same situation. We are seniors so we tell them at this point in our life there is no way we are purchasing another ts, and if we were it would be on resale market. And if they play the card that business has been slow with few sales, suggest to them because timeshares sold by developers are so overpriced. Just check TUG or other websites. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe gift the salesperson with an autographed copy of your book when you arrive?
Ha ha! That would be funny but also a bit cruel! Okay we survived! Got a nice young lady who was on her first day on the job. She learned some things from us. The price for what was on offer was astronomical. Plus US $1,500 per year maintenance fee! The “manager” said most Blue Green members work this off with a special credit card with points. Yeah right...

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am exactly like you. Being much older I have learned over the years that in some rare instances being polite just does not work. Time share presentations are more often than not one of these times. Be firm and polite and realize that the salesman is not doing you a favor. At some point rude may be the only option. I have a toggle. It takes an extreme amount of pressure to move that toggle but once it is flipped you do not want to be on the other side.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I am exactly like you. Being much older I have learned over the years that in some rare instances being polite just does not work. Time share presentations are more often than not one of these times. Be firm and polite and realize that the salesman is not doing you a favor. At some point rude may be the only option. I have a toggle. It takes an extreme amount of pressure to move that toggle but once it is flipped you do not want to be on the other side.

"Go with God, but just go" flipped my toggle when the third salesman/closer pulled that gem on me last year at a Diamond resort in Scottsdale. I guarantee that everyone in the room heard me say FUAH to him.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
"Go with God, but just go" flipped my toggle when the third salesman/closer pulled that gem on me last year at a Diamond resort in Scottsdale. I guarantee that everyone in the room heard me say FUAH to him.

Faith, you made me laugh right out loud with that perfect response. You need to take this coffee cup to your next presentation, and turn it around when you've had enough. :) https://dls-store.com/shuh-duh1?s=ceramic-11&c=White&p=FRONT

Dave

jbiza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blue Green

I went to a Bluegreen Vacations presentation last week & even though it was 3+ hours, (group presentation & then one-on-one with the sales rep), they actually took care of the ¨gift¨ when I checked in for the presentation.

That was pretty cool :thumbup: & made it even easier to say ¨no¨. i believe one can be gentle but FIRM in saying no to get done with the presentation ( even though the closer came back with at least 3 other packages :shrug:).

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
If I'm onsite for a week or more, I'll almost always go to an owner presentation. If it's less than a week, I skip it by saying 'no thanks' (however many times is necessary) during check-in/registration. I eat the (usually mediocre) meal & listen to the presentation to see if I can learn anything new. Then when they divide to conquer and you're eyeball to eyeball with the sales rep, I flat out tell them "I have everything I need, in fact MORE than I need. I am not going to buy anything from you today - or ever." Some of the less experienced will try out their well-rehearsed lines. The more experienced will sit back and say 'C'mon, you mean even if I throw in A, B, C or D you still won't go for it?' I tell them, 'that's right. You got it.' If I like them, I might offer a few 'insights' into vacation planning. And, if they like me, we'll probably shoot 'the breeze' long enough for the whole thing to appear legit to their handlers. I let them put the tablet in front of me and scratch out some figures - for show. Then I walk out and collect my gift card/dinner for two/what have you. Owner presentations are way more laid back I guess...

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark