• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points vs. Fixed Week Timeshare

JudyMesko

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Villas
Palmera Vacation Club, Hilton Head, SC
My resort has been trying to convert my fixed week to points. The salesman said that it would easier to sell it in the future if it is in the points system rather than the fixed week system. Is this true?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Usually not and I can't think of any time when it would be worth more than what you paid to convert. So for example if they are asking $3995 to convert, it would probably be easier to pay someone $3995 in incentives to take your timeshare than it would be to pay to convert and then give away your timeshare for $0. Is it Palmera? I own a platinum EOY that gets 106,500 every other year (10,650). When I bought it 10 years ago I paid $0 and thought it would be easy to give away when I didn't want it anymore. Then they implemented a $1500 transfer fee for resale so my $0 value timeshare (already in points) went to -$1500 worth. MF are currently around $1000. Would love to get rid of it but not enough to pay the $1800 total that it would cost to pay the transfer fee and closing cost it would take to find someone who would take it.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My resort has been trying to convert my fixed week to points. The salesman said that it would easier to sell it in the future if it is in the points system rather than the fixed week system. Is this true?
If you can’t use it, find a new home for it. Paying money to convert to make it easier to sell is not true.

JudyMesko

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Usually not and I can't think of any time when it would be worth more than what you paid to convert. So for example if they are asking $3995 to convert, it would probably be easier to pay someone $3995 in incentives to take your timeshare than it would be to pay to convert and then give away your timeshare for $0. Is it Palmera? I own a platinum EOY that gets 106,500 every other year (10,650). When I bought it 10 years ago I paid $0 and thought it would be easy to give away when I didn't want it anymore. Then they implemented a $1500 transfer fee for resale so my $0 value timeshare (already in points) went to -$1500 worth. MF are currently around $1000. Would love to get rid of it but not enough to pay the $1800 total that it would cost to pay the transfer fee and closing cost it would take to find someone who would take it.
Thank you for your reply. I know my son doesn't want the timeshare after I pass. Does the transfer fee apply if my son files for Decline of Interest?

JudyMesko

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The salesman said that I could use points for airline flights. How easy has it been to get airline flights with your points? What airlines do they use?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying to convert to Points with the prospect of then potentially having to pay someone to take your Points off your hands down the road makes no sense to me...

George

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The salesman said that I could use points for airline flights. How easy has it been to get airline flights with your points? What airlines do they use?

Some systems permit timeshare weeks or points to be converted into hotel points, airline points, or cruises. The conversation rates are almost always lousy. I would never pay money to buy a timeshare or points with the idea of using them for anything other than timesharing.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
RCI discontinued the ability to use points for flights as of January 1, 2020. They did this without any notice. They are no longer affiliated with the vendor that did points partner transactions for RCI. Your sales person may not be aware of the change or may be but not disclosing the fact. Even when it was an option you had to have a particularly low MF high point ratio for it to be worth it; otherwise you would be paying $1000 in MF for the points that could get you $650 in airline tickets plus a $25 per ticket service charge.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your reply. I know my son doesn't want the timeshare after I pass. Does the transfer fee apply if my son files for Decline of Interest?
If your son doesn't want it, the executor of your estate would have to tell the resort everyone declined the inheritance and ask the resort to accept a deed back. I don't know what conditions they would put on accepting the deed back. The last time I checked they did not accept deed backs for living owners even with a fee.