• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point at Poipu units question

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As an aside (and not necessarily applicable to your case), you can request the twin beds be “bridged”. They will push the beds together, put a bridge down the center, and make them up as a king.
Great suggestion. Now can all resorts do this that have twin beds in the second bedroom ?

Reactions: awa

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That should be the weeks inventory assigned to THE Club that you see. That can explain what awa see.
As Silver Hawaii Collection member, I can see only the pure points Hawaii Collection inventory at 13 months.
I can't see the weeks inventory assigned to THE Club until 10 months but Platinum members of any collections can see it at 11 months.
Yes - that is Club Inventory. Which is what will fall through to general Club availability when the windows open.
I'm not sure I was completely clear in my previous reply.

What I am reporting is Club inventory. Inside the Club there is no distinction between weeks and points inventory. Any membership that is a deeded week added to the Club becomes a week that disappears into overall Club availability.

We have both a deeded week in the Club as well points from the Hawaii Collection. There is NO difference in what is available to us based on what the ownership. We receive Club points in exchange for the deed, and those points operate identically with the Hawaii Collection points.

As I understand, the only "weeks" inventory that exists at the resort is pool that is set aside for people who own deeded weeks and have not joined the Club. That inventory should not ever be offered to either Club members or Hawaii Collection owners, since neither the Club nor the Collection has usage rights for those weeks.

Here's how the system works, as I understand it. First, at the resort level the entire resort ownership is deeded weeks. Every unit has been carved into 50 one-week intervals. (2 weeks are reserved for maintenance). There is a deed for each of those intervals, which specifies the unit number and the associated calendar week. That is the basic inventory control method. There are five categories of deeds, based on the associated reservation right:
  • ocean front,
  • ocean view,
  • partial ocean view,
  • garden view, and
  • unrestricted (aka float-float)
The deeds grant the deed owner the right to reserve a week in their associated view type, and states that the unit # and calendar week on the deed is for inventory control purposes only and the owner does not have any special right to use that unit for that calendar week.

That deeded structure still exists and is the basis for the inventory control system. The Hawaii Collection does not own any "points" at the resort, because there is no such things as resort points. What the Hawaii Collection owns is a collection of deeds at the resort. The inventory made available to the Hawaii Collection is based entirely on what deeds it owns.

Points are created by the Hawaii Collection as its method of allocating and managing the inventory that it receives from the deeds it owns. The Collection manages it's inventory as a single usage block, using points as "currency", and allowing shorter or longer stays, and charging different numbers of points for different periods of the year. There might also a penalty incurred for check-in on a non-standard day. E.g., a seven-night stay Wed-Wed requires more points than a seven-night stay Sat-Sat. (That penalty does exist when making a Club reservation). That's because of some of the logistical issues that arise when departures and arrivals don't align with the resort operating schedule, which follows the weeks pattern regarding unit cleaning and servicing.

When someone joins the Club, they surrender the usage right for their ownership to the Club. So when a Hawaii Collection member joins the Club, the Club takes control of their Hawaii Collection points. Thus the Hawaii Collection inventory effectively gets divided into two pools - one pool for points controlled by the Club, and a second pool for Collection owners who are not part of the Club.

But note that what the Collection owns is a pool of deeded weeks, so the inventory they get is still denominated as whole weeks at the resort level.

When a deeded week owner joins the Club, a similar process occurs. The member surrenders their deeded week reservation right to the Club, and the Club then takes a week from the deeded weeks pool corresponding to the deeded usage right.

So you wind up with the following "deeded week" pools:

1. individual owners, non-club. Not available to Club or Hawaii collection.
  2. Hawaii Collection, non-club. Not available to Club members or individual deeded owners.
  3. Diamond Club, consisting of the Diamond Club share of the Hawaii Collection and the share of individual deeded weeks that have been added to the Club. Availability is to Club members only, in accordance with Club rules and policies.
All of that being said, there likely is some inventory swapping that occurs. As it gets close to check-in, if demand is slack for Hawaii Collection owners, but strong for Club members, I expect some of that short term Collection excess might get moved to the Club in exchange for Club inventory further out.

What you see when you go to make a reservation depends on which of those three pools you are in. And if you own in multiple pools (e.g., if you have some Hawaii Collection points that are in the Club and some that are not, then the inventory you should differ depending on which pool you are using.

Last edited:

awa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let us know if you get an ocean front for a full week with a check-in date of Aug 7, 2021 (11 months from tomorrow).
I would like to know if they keep some inventory for Platinum members of other collections at 11 months because at this moment (11 months +1 day), as Hawaii Collection Silver member, I see only Garden View units available for Aug 7, 2021.
So...yes, I was able to get three OF units and 3 OV units. (We have 24 people.) I was not able, however, to use any of my 3 platinum specific unit requests because apparently there's a limit on the number of those that can be used in a given week and they were all taken. I'm really happy with how that turned out overall, though!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So...yes, I was able to get three OF units and 3 OV units. (We have 24 people.) I was not able, however, to use any of my 3 platinum specific unit requests because apparently there's a limit on the number of those that can be used in a given week and they were all taken. I'm really happy with how that turned out overall, though!
Outstanding, please enjoy your stay on The Island.