• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point at Poipu & Diamond Resorts Int'l

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Remember that Sunterra didn't do a lot of maintenance and deferred upgrades and repairs. One of the excuses was that the didn't want to spend any money in case Hilton picked up the resorts when they bought Embassy.
Exactly what the resort manager in Ka'anapali said to me about eight years ago (during Sunterra days).

Last edited:

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
Just got this in my e-mail in box. I'm assuming they didn't film him at the Point in Poipu:

How do you improve from really good to absolutely great?

How about sending the Boss to see how it's all working?

That's what we did at Diamond Resorts International®. Our Chairman and CEO, Stephen J. Cloobeck, is on the season premiere of UNDERCOVER BOSS on CBS, January 15.

We invite you to watch as Mr. Cloobeck goes undercover to explore every aspect of the Diamond experience, seeing what's good and what could be even better. As a result, we'll take everything he learns to make your vacation the ultimate hospitality experience—that's what "The Meaning of Yes®" culture is all about.

Watch as we discover what it takes to achieve a higher standard of excellence. We think you'll be entertained, fascinated and pleased to know what it's like to be a part of the Diamond family.

Remember to watch UNDERCOVER BOSS on CBS, Sunday, January 15, at 8pm/7pm CST. Please check your local listings to make sure you don't miss it!

The Diamond Resorts Hospitality Team

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
FAQ from the Board of Directors

I got email today referring me to the DRI HOA site, where I found this document.

The board might have reduced the bad reaction they got if they had distributed this information sooner.

pseda

Reaction score
Sheila – Fortunately the SA for us was at the trust rate of about 17 cents/point. It did result in doubling our fees for 2012, but we only needed to come up with an additional $1,800 and NOT $5,900 or more; amounts less than $2,000 were due in full this first year. We were not at all happy about it, but as I have said before, timeshare is a love/hate thing. There is a great line by Meryl Streep as she is dying of cancer in One True Thing that I think is a great rule for life and it goes something like this:

"It is so much easier to be happy about all of the things you have, instead of being miserable about the things you do not have, or perceive that you do not have." (empahasis mine - I love that part!)

As for Murrell’s Inlet, we were looking ahead about 10 months, and there were ONLY two dates available, so we quickly booked the single. I suppose there is some limited availability because it is only an “affiliate” resort. Based on what you have experienced, I’m glad we took the opening! There was plenty of availability of every size unit in Gatlinburg which made it easy to select a consecutive week, and put together a great trip.

Please, go right ahead and explain to everyone how all of the dots are connected, and how the PR disaster in the UK and the assessment at Poipu are part of a deliberate and coordinated strategy by DRI. If they are truly out to methodically break the law and victimize members and owners, enquiring minds need to know.

Why are the owners in both countries (US/UK) speaking out? Loss of rights and inability to be involved in making decisions affecting their ownership. Why, at the PP, will DRI not release for owner review; maintenance documents, engineer reports re: WI, insurance denial letter or an owners list? Tell me these factors aren't signs of poor management. We are the owners and they are our managers who have forgotten the proper order of things. There is a redweek blogger, documented on angry poipu owners on facebook, who in 2008 as an owner at KBC, clearly laid out the plan DRI had for its hawaii properties. You must read it.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The gripes with DRI remind me of elements of this businessweek article about a huge Las Vegas scam that got taken down.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, I will be watching from the sidelines and not picking up one of the "cheapies" of Ebay. I fear of another assessment to make up for the short fall on the first round of assessment.

Any info on ROFR by DRI on auctions on eBay?
I would be surprised if DRI were exercising ROFR on any sales at the resort, considering that they are not accepting deedbacks. Why would they pay money to acquire a deed when they can have one for free if they wanted it?

Reaction score
We kept our deed but aren't willing to pay the SA

If you're interested, I can post a listing of the owners of ~45% of the deeds at Point at Poipu.

I was one of the deeded owners that was threatened by the sales people that we were doomed if we didnt give up the deed and exchange for points about 4 years ago.

I told them then they wouldn't see another $5k out of me until I saw them putting some money into units that would make me feel ok about bringing friends and family there. And the points idea just didn't resonate with me.

Now this whole crazy scam for the special assessment is just another way to line DRI executives pockets. They do not issue any guarantee that this is the one and only SA you'll receive. Why are people so gullible and just paying this?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was one of the deeded owners that was threatened by the sales people that we were doomed if we didnt give up the deed and exchange for points about 4 years ago.

I told them then they wouldn't see another $5k out of me until I saw them putting some money into units that would make me feel ok about bringing friends and family there. And the points idea just didn't resonate with me.

Now this whole crazy scam for the special assessment is just another way to line DRI executives pockets. They do not issue any guarantee that this is the one and only SA you'll receive. Why are people so gullible and just paying this?

They held up their end of the bargain, though not in the way you'd hoped...

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

So I'm a little confused. One the one hand, you acknowledge that Sunterrea failed to improve or even maintain the resort. On the other hand you feel you're being ripped off when the new management company comes in, discovers that Sunterra had badly neglected the resort (and kept MF's artifically low since they weren't fixing anything), and now you're mad at the new management for addressing and fixing the problems left by Sunterra?

If you ask me, it's Sunterra who lined their pockets with owners money by NOT maintaining the resort. DRI is just the messenger. What's that saying? Don't shoot the messenger?

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Meet the Manager

Just returned from the Point. For those of you visiting there this year, I highly recommend that you attend the “Meet the Manager” meeting on Wednesday mornings at 9:30. Jamie will go over the water intrusion presentation that is on the web and answer any questions you have. She is excellent at this. It is well worth the time.

On the other hand, when you arrive, as usual, they try to get you to sign up for an “update” and say they will answer your questions on the water intrusion. This is the usual sale pitch. We did not sign up for this “update” and people who attended it complained about it.

Reaction score
On the other hand, when you arrive, as usual, they try to get you to sign up for an “update” and say they will answer your questions on the water intrusion. This is the usual sale pitch. We did not sign up for this “update” and people who attended it complained about it.

Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

PRICELESS !!! :rofl:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug: The problem with Diamond, in my opinion, is the way they went about notifying folks of the incredible special assessment.

Rather than a year ago sending out a notice something like "folks we have some terrible news. There is significant damage that must be addressed and unfortunately it will cost a lot to make it right. But it would be even more expensive to continue waiting.

We have attached some engineering analyses, photos, etc to show the extent of the problem.

We're sorry about this bad news and our best estimate at this time is the damage will be about $5000 payable over five years. We will keep you updated monthly.

Signed Manny, Moe, Jack, Pete, and Dianna Board of Directors."

Here is how Diamond went about the special assessment. "THERE WILL BE A SPECIAL ASSESSMENT OF $,6000/WK DUE IN 90 DAYS. IF YOU DON'T PAY WE WILL RUIN YOUR CREDIT AND BREAK BOTH LEGS" AND MAKE YOU WIFE A WIDOW. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Diamond has the manners of storm troopers.

Sterling

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Doug: The problem with Diamond, in my opinion, is the way they went about notifying folks of the incredible special assessment.

Rather than a year ago sending out a notice something like "folks we have some terrible news. There is significant damage that must be addressed and unfortunately it will cost a lot to make it right. But it would be even more expensive to continue waiting.

We have attached some engineering analyses, photos, etc to show the extent of the problem.

We're sorry about this bad news and our best estimate at this time is the damage will be about $5000 payable over five years. We will keep you updated monthly.

Signed Manny, Moe, Jack, Pete, and Dianna Board of Directors."

Here is how Diamond went about the special assessment. "THERE WILL BE A SPECIAL ASSESSMENT OF $,6000/WK DUE IN 90 DAYS. IF YOU DON'T PAY WE WILL RUIN YOUR CREDIT AND BREAK BOTH LEGS" AND MAKE YOU WIFE A WIDOW.

Diamond has the manners of storm troopers.

Sterling

I never said I agreed with how DRI presented the bill to owners. I only disagree when someone says it's a scam or it's DRI's fault. It's neither a scam or DRI's fault. The intrusion is a real problem that was all but ignored and allowed to grow worse by Sunterra.

Everyone was happy when Sunterra kept MF's artificially low. Now they're all ticked off because Sunterra filed bankruptcy and left everyone else holding the bag.

When DRI bought Sunterra out of bankruptcy, they didn't pick and choose which resorts they'd keep and which ones they'd dump. They took everyone. They took the good with the bad. Now owners want to blame DRI for Sunterra's failings? THAT'S what I can't understand.

I suppose the ownes at the Pointe would have been much happier if DRI told them, "Hey, you have a nice resort in a great location but, there's to much damage to repair at reasonable cost and, well, Sunterra kind of screwed you over so, you're no longer part of the group. P@P owners, you're on your own. Deal with it how you see fit and best of luck." If they'd have done that, then they'd have been weasels for bailing out on the owners when times where tough. There would have been a group of owners lawyering up to force DRI to keep P@P in the system and they'd have been called cowards for cutting and runing on the properties that were to far gone to mess with. For DRI, this was a no win situation.

Yes, I agree your HOA/BOD at the Pointe should have done a better job keeping owners updated and, yes I agree that DRI has a strong presence on that HOA/BOD. I'm not particulary pleased that they just sprung this on everyone but, that's not what most are complaining about and it's not what I was responding too. I was responding to a post saying the assesment was a scam and the DRI executives are just lining their pockets with money. Any reasonable person understand that is NOT true.

I also find fault with your engratiating DRI's SA bill with words that where obviously not part of the billing. I'm pretty certain they never said they'd break you legs, make your wife a widow et.... Drama does not make a point any better than straying from the facts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
...then they'd have been weasels for bailing out on the owners when times where tough. There would have been a group of owners lawyering up to force DRI to keep P@P in the system and they'd have been called cowards for cutting and runing on the properties that were to far gone to mess with. For DRI, this was a no win situation.

Yes, the classic Kobayashi Maru. I can't believe you wrote this! Can I take the helm?

Captains Log: stardate 14.724 – 7

In an alternate universe somewhere, DRI never imposed the SA at the P@P. In subsequent years the head-in-the-sand approach to the severe structural problems had become evident, and the viability of the resort was in serious question. It was to become a complete and total loss.

Owners became livid; why wasn’t the property being properly maintained? A very disgruntled group attempted to organize legal action against DRI for lining their pockets with salaries and profits while neglecting their obligations to protect and maintain the owners’ interests. Board members were accused of being “insiders” who helped kick the can down the road in the interest of not stirring up trouble. There were even rumors of secret insurance policies that would make DRI come out the winner if the resort were to close and be torn down.

The owners were left holding the now empty bag. (At least they had their voting rights!)

As attempts were made to compile a list of owners to take part in a lawsuit and an attempt a vote to keep the resort open, they were met with a roadblock at every turn because the diabolical Steven J. Klingon and DRI would not comply with the owners’ demands.

++++++++++++

Sound familiar? Different events yield the same outcome.

People don’t like bad news when it means money out of their pocket. As long as sombody else pays its OK. Give them a venue to solicit support for their grievances and you get an angry crowd. Some talk as if the board should have chosen the equivalent of walking away from an underwater mortgage. It’s sort of like the “if I can’t get my way then nobody should” attitude. By now everyone should have chosen to either suck it up and fork over the cash, or to quit and go home. Can we get over it already?

Voting rights and board representation (or now manners?) can be endlessly discussed, but it’s conjecture and speculation assuming that somehow a different outcome or reality would exist. Hindsight is better than 20/20 when viewed thru the lens of would’a, could’a and should’a and it is the gentleman’s version of casting blame. Why should the presence of one or two different people on a board necessarily mean a different outcome?

How many timeshare owners who post on this very forum are guilty of putting off maintenance on the homes or cars they own? And how many when confronted with an issue on their home or car have chosen a quick fix or taken a shortcut rather than commence with a large unwanted expense? “Oh, I’ll just run on my spare for now because I would rather buy a new big screen TV this week instead of getting new tires.”

We are all guilty and no amount of discussion or rationalization can put more tread onto old tires. How many people who sit in board rooms all over have opted for the easier road on occasion by requiring more analysis or deliberation to then delay a difficult decision? Or to insure there were enough votes?

Avoiding conflict or anything unpleasant is human nature. And humans first found it useful to point the finger at someone else a long time ago as they sat around in the close quarters of a cave after a big meal. Italian cars, pedigree dogs, trophy wives, and timeshare…the costs of ownership sometimes outweigh the benefits. So what’s new?

FYI - Points can now be used to book a one bedroom at the Holodeck! Free admission to Ten Forward is included but you’ll need to pay for your own drinks.

Tiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's interesting now that on Ebay quite a numper of Point weeks are being offered and bid on into the $ hundreds with all expenses paid including the special assesment. It seems to me that new owners are willing to have some faith in the new order. I have great sympathy for the current owners. I have 6 weeks in a nearby resort and the concept of $36,000 in special assements is rather overwhelming. Until the recent special assesment, while I viewed LBR as special I assumed a general equality in the two resorts.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's interesting now that on Ebay quite a numper of Point weeks are being offered and bid on into the $ hundreds with all expenses paid including the special assesment. It seems to me that new owners are willing to have some faith in the new order. I have great sympathy for the current owners. I have 6 weeks in a nearby resort and the concept of $36,000 in special assements is rather overwhelming. Until the recent special assesment, while I viewed LBR as special I assumed a general equality in the two resorts.
A question worth considering is whether Poipu is a harbinger of what might lie ahead for LBR.

I can't immediately recall the basic construction technology for the Coral, Alii, and Banyon buildings at LBR. If any of them are 1990s era cladded woodframe, I would be quite anxious about what the condition is under the cladding.

I'm almost sure Like Lani is cladded wood frame. If I owned in the Liki Lani building, I think I would be on pins and needles, pending results of an investigation.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never said I agreed with how DRI presented the bill to owners. I only disagree when someone says it's a scam or it's DRI's fault. It's neither a scam or DRI's fault. The intrusion is a real problem that was all but ignored and allowed to grow worse by Sunterra.

Everyone was happy when Sunterra kept MF's artificially low. Now they're all ticked off because Sunterra filed bankruptcy and left everyone else holding the bag.

When DRI bought Sunterra out of bankruptcy, they didn't pick and choose which resorts they'd keep and which ones they'd dump. They took everyone. They took the good with the bad. Now owners want to blame DRI for Sunterra's failings? THAT'S what I can't understand.

I suppose the ownes at the Pointe would have been much happier if DRI told them, "Hey, you have a nice resort in a great location but, there's to much damage to repair at reasonable cost and, well, Sunterra kind of screwed you over so, you're no longer part of the group. P@P owners, you're on your own. Deal with it how you see fit and best of luck." If they'd have done that, then they'd have been weasels for bailing out on the owners when times where tough. There would have been a group of owners lawyering up to force DRI to keep P@P in the system and they'd have been called cowards for cutting and runing on the properties that were to far gone to mess with. For DRI, this was a no win situation.

Yes, I agree your HOA/BOD at the Pointe should have done a better job keeping owners updated and, yes I agree that DRI has a strong presence on that HOA/BOD. I'm not particulary pleased that they just sprung this on everyone but, that's not what most are complaining about and it's not what I was responding too. I was responding to a post saying the assesment was a scam and the DRI executives are just lining their pockets with money. Any reasonable person understand that is NOT true.

I also find fault with your engratiating DRI's SA bill with words that where obviously not part of the billing. I'm pretty certain they never said they'd break you legs, make your wife a widow et.... Drama does not make a point any better than straying from the facts.

Doug I modified my post so those with no sense of humor will see the guy laughing hysterically will realize it is all a joke (except for the part about ruining your credit)

Laugh, you'll live longer.:cheer:

Sterling

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the water intrusion problem at Sedona Golf Resort was handled by DRI in a completely different manner - although it probably involved considerably less funding....:rolleyes:

dakotafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may not be the correct thread to be using but would it be a bad time to buy into the Hawaiian Collection? I don't know if the special assesment would have much to do with new owners. Thanks.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the water intrusion problem at Sedona Golf Resort was handled by DRI in a completely different manner - although it probably involved considerably less funding....:rolleyes:

There was a water intrusion problem at another resort? Eh, I smell a rat.

Tiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The construction at LBR is mostly concrete. The lower two floors were wiped out by Iniki then reconstructed. Over the last 4 years we have had an issue with construction, particularly in the Alii building. The rebar was starting to be affected near the surface, It was discussed through the newsletters and repairs in the hundreds of thousands $ were done. I believe pictures are posted on the LBR website. Complete upgrades new floors, new bathrooms, granite countetops etc. are being done over a 5 year period in Alii, a multimillion $ project, financed by a bank loan and paid through maintenance fees.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Yes, the classic Kobayashi Maru. I can't believe you wrote this! Can I take the helm?

Captains Log: stardate 14.724 – 7

In an alternate universe somewhere, DRI never imposed the SA at the P@P. In subsequent years the head-in-the-sand approach to the severe structural problems had become evident, and the viability of the resort was in serious question. It was to become a complete and total loss.

Owners became livid; why wasn’t the property being properly maintained? A very disgruntled group attempted to organize legal action against DRI for lining their pockets with salaries and profits while neglecting their obligations to protect and maintain the owners’ interests. Board members were accused of being “insiders” who helped kick the can down the road in the interest of not stirring up trouble. There were even rumors of secret insurance policies that would make DRI come out the winner if the resort were to close and be torn down.

The owners were left holding the now empty bag. (At least they had their voting rights!)

As attempts were made to compile a list of owners to take part in a lawsuit and an attempt a vote to keep the resort open, they were met with a roadblock at every turn because the diabolical Steven J. Klingon and DRI would not comply with the owners’ demands.

++++++++++++

Sound familiar? Different events yield the same outcome.

People don’t like bad news when it means money out of their pocket. As long as sombody else pays its OK. Give them a venue to solicit support for their grievances and you get an angry crowd. Some talk as if the board should have chosen the equivalent of walking away from an underwater mortgage. It’s sort of like the “if I can’t get my way then nobody should” attitude. By now everyone should have chosen to either suck it up and fork over the cash, or to quit and go home. Can we get over it already?

Voting rights and board representation (or now manners?) can be endlessly discussed, but it’s conjecture and speculation assuming that somehow a different outcome or reality would exist. Hindsight is better than 20/20 when viewed thru the lens of would’a, could’a and should’a and it is the gentleman’s version of casting blame. Why should the presence of one or two different people on a board necessarily mean a different outcome?

How many timeshare owners who post on this very forum are guilty of putting off maintenance on the homes or cars they own? And how many when confronted with an issue on their home or car have chosen a quick fix or taken a shortcut rather than commence with a large unwanted expense? “Oh, I’ll just run on my spare for now because I would rather buy a new big screen TV this week instead of getting new tires.”

We are all guilty and no amount of discussion or rationalization can put more tread onto old tires. How many people who sit in board rooms all over have opted for the easier road on occasion by requiring more analysis or deliberation to then delay a difficult decision? Or to insure there were enough votes?

Avoiding conflict or anything unpleasant is human nature. And humans first found it useful to point the finger at someone else a long time ago as they sat around in the close quarters of a cave after a big meal. Italian cars, pedigree dogs, trophy wives, and timeshare…the costs of ownership sometimes outweigh the benefits. So what’s new?

FYI - Points can now be used to book a one bedroom at the Holodeck! Free admission to Ten Forward is included but you’ll need to pay for your own drinks.

A Star Trek Comparisson? Really?

Let's keep this short.

Sunterra didn't keep up their resorts. They didn't collect enough in cash reserves for repairs. Sunterra failed, filed bankruptcy and they are no more.

New management would have a choice. Continue as was or make changes. DRI made changes.

Everything else is just a distraction.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't some of the consternation the lack of transparency by DRI?