• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please talk me into, or out of, an RV

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My stepdad had a pad poured in his huge back yard for his RV. He sold the RV, and I keep telling him he should buy a townhouse or something without all of the upkeep of his house. The RV pad makes his house a lot more valuable. It's really got the ability and space to add a shelter for the RV. He sold the RV because it was just him, and he took trips only once a year to visit his daughters in Georgia, all of whom had a guest room for him to use. I thought he would fly to Georgia after he sold the RV, but now he is driving his new little car.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We have had 2 RVs - one was a 32’ class C motorhome (it never needed any major repairs in the 5 years we owned it) and the current one is a 40’ luxury fifth wheel (no motor so it will need minimal repairs). Cost of storing is minimal. The fifth wheel feels like an upscale condo but with no property taxes. We spend about $1000 per year on our RV, mainly for storage. Storage is not that expensive. We keep our fifth wheel full time at Pismo Beach and pay someone about $80 to tow it to/from our spot when we visit. We pay no maintenance fees for the spot at Pismo Beach, which is direct oceanfront, because we own a share there. Pismo Coast Village is like a timeshare for RVs but with no maintenance fees. The RV park makes the money for taxes and maintenance by renting out half the spots to non-owners. Frankly, I like our fifth wheel at the beach better than our timeshares and it is less expensive, other than purchasing the RV and the share. But the fifth wheel will last virtually forever with minimal costs. I feel like I have more control over the RV than I do with a timeshare. And I can take our dogs with us. That was really why we bought it. The share at Pismo Coast Village appreciates over time. They are limited and demand for them exceeds supply. For non-owners, it is very hard to get a reservation there so that is why we bought a share. I was on a waiting list for 8 months before I could buy a share.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
We have had 2 RVs - one was a 32’ class C motorhome (it never needed any major repairs in the 5 years we owned it) and the current one is a 40’ luxury fifth wheel (no motor so it will need minimal repairs). Cost of storing is minimal. The fifth wheel feels like an upscale condo but with no property taxes. We spend about $1000 per year on our RV, mainly for storage. Storage is not that expensive. We keep our fifth wheel full time at Pismo Beach and pay someone about $80 to tow it to/from our spot when we visit. We pay no maintenance fees for the spot at Pismo Beach, which is direct oceanfront, because we own a share there. Pismo Coast Village is like a timeshare for RVs but with no maintenance fees. The RV park makes the money for taxes and maintenance by renting out half the spots to non-owners. Frankly, I like our fifth wheel at the beach better than our timeshares and it is less expensive, other than purchasing the RV and the share. But the fifth wheel will last virtually forever with minimal costs. I feel like I have more control over the RV than I do with a timeshare. And I can take our dogs with us. That was really why we bought it. The share at Pismo Coast Village appreciates over time. They are limited and demand for them exceeds supply. For non-owners, it is very hard to get a reservation there so that is why we bought a share. I was on a waiting list for 8 months before I could buy a share.
I love this! Even the tow for 80 bucks feels like a great deal. I have never heard of Pismo, but all you have to say is Beach, and I'm in favor. Dogs allowed is major bonus.

geekette

Reaction score
I love RVs and fantasize about them. Every year I go to the RV show in town. The big con for me is that I know that I’m not one for dealing with maintenance issues. Also, RV’s are not always a cost effective way to travel. Twice we did a 5 week road trip from Texas to Canada and back. We stayed in a combination of hotels, timeshares, and a few nights with family. It was cheaper than if we had done the trip in an RV. Still, I think they are really cool, and like timeshares it’s a lifestyle thing.

I would definitely do multiple rental trips before making a final decision.

This is how much I love RVs. I use the following photos as my virtual background in zoom meeting. Got it from the Airstream website.
Yay, Airstream! My uncle had a great Airstream in the 70s. I still love the shiny roundish buggies.

geekette

Reaction score
If you have a tow hitch on one of your cars, consider buying a pop up camper. Way cheaper, easy to haul, easy to set up and tear down, plenty of room for a family of 4. You can drop your 'home' and do your touristing in a car, easy parking for anywhere you wanna go. I am partial to Coleman brand.

Not quite as luxurious, but, easy to decide if you like camping enough to take a bigger step. You wouldn't have a bathroom but you'd have kitchen and dining table. Storage would be more limited than full size RV with storage bays, but less stuff is not always a bad thing...

Maintenance would be way cheaper, you'd be carrying a spare tire, and if you have some breakdown, you can dump the trailer and crawl the car to next exit.

Reactions: RX8

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also see the film “We’re the Millers.” Funny movie involves a RV trip.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned RVs for 40 years. Rent something to see if you like it.

Someone posted to look at a class B size RV. That is basically a small van conversion. Try renting a class A or C to see if you like it.

Happy travels!

geekette

Reaction score
We have owned RVs for 40 years. Rent something to see if you like it.

Someone posted to look at a class B size RV. That is basically a small van conversion. Try renting a class A or C to see if you like it.

Happy travels!
oops, that was me! thank you. A, try an A.

A C would fit me, the bunk above the driver (for my stuff, not a human).

We did have a conversion van with the pop up, and then went to what was then Winnebago Itasca ... something. It was between a Roadtrek'ish van and a class c. OK for 4 before the boys get much taller.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the points of view. Similar to looking at timeshares, I have done lots of research. Been leaning towards a Class B+ (essentially a Class C without the overhead bunk). Like the size and drivability.

I am concerned though with a couple of things. Unlike a vehicle, RV’s have multiple warranties in play (chassis, house components and structure). The RV manufacturer is really only on the hook for the structure and the warranty is short, as short as 12 months. Generally speaking, RVs are not subject to the same lemon laws. Also, I am reading many bad stories about getting warranty or general service from the dealers. Difficulties include getting appointments, units in for service for weeks at a time and in some cases shoddy work.

Still researching but my vision of traveling care free across the USA in an RV has dimmed.

The thread below is old as it is from 2010 and I am sure, actually hope, that it isn’t the norm. It is also very long but I couldn’t stop reading about the guy’s nightmare. Anyone considering an RV should be required to read this as something that could happen to them.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the points of view. Similar to looking at timeshares, I have done lots of research. Been leaning towards a Class B+ (essentially a Class C without the overhead bunk). Like the size and drivability.

I am concerned though with a couple of things. Unlike a vehicle, RV’s have multiple warranties in play (chassis, house components and structure). The RV manufacturer is really only on the hook for the structure and the warranty is short, as short as 12 months. Generally speaking, RVs are not subject to the same lemon laws. Also, I am reading many bad stories about getting warranty or general service from the dealers. Difficulties include getting appointments, units in for service for weeks at a time and in some cases shoddy work.

Still researching but my vision of traveling care free across the USA in an RV has dimmed.

The thread below is old as it is from 2010 and I am sure, actually hope, that it isn’t the norm. It is also very long but I couldn’t stop reading about the guy’s nightmare. Anyone considering an RV should be required to read this as something that could happen to them.

Your thoughts are good. The converse, however, is to buy a used RV that a mechanic certifies is in good shape - that include engine and chassis, the interior appliances and systems, tires and suspension, non-leaky roof and windows, and similar. Lemon laws may not apply, but any motorhome that has been well cared for will have systems that work right. A used RV with minimal mileage may be an indicator of a problem child to avoid. As in all things, people rarely post online when they've had a good experience. So the negative sites you're seeing may be an exception, rather than a rule.

One thing you might want to do is walk through an RV Park, and find the unit types that interest you. Talk to the owners about their experience. I've found RV folk to be generally very friendly, and many love to talk about their rigs - good or bad. They should give you a real world insight into the situation at hand.

An important factor to consider with driving, parking, and occupying the RV is weather in the areas you intend to visit. Extreme heat or cold, snow/ice, monsoons, or tornado-force winds in any location are all things to consider. Not every day will be a mild, sunny day at the beach. YMMV.

Good luck!
Dave

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Is there a recommended place to rent RVs or a service similar to turo? I just looked at a local rental. $1500 per week for a small RV plus nightly camping fees. Seems a bit rich compared to timesharing.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

Good heavens, ten years ago? I haven't followed the ownership of Winnebago, which was once a highly regarded name, but I had read that maybe the largest dealership network in the US doesn't have the best customer service.

Hopefully your research is helping you sort through who is more reputable and who is not. This is true for any industry.

If you buy used, it will be a lot easier to unwind your investment no matter what. Have you looked at private sales? I had a girlfriend years ago who saw an old motorhome sitting in a yard and eventually bought it. She's had many wonderful years of enjoyment. First, taking the little kids to campgrounds and later, music festivals. She's more than gotten her money's worth with all the happy memories and adventures.

Samantha Brown, the TV travel guru, has some nice features on her family's experiences. She also links the industry's GoRVing.com

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
From Kiplinger... https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/13-reasons-regret-rv-retirement-174922475.html

Like the OP I have also been considering an RV. After visiting friends at an RV park in Gold Canyon AZ, seeing the massive RV parks in and around Yuma AZ and Quartzsite AZ there is no way I want to be that close to a neighbor rig. As for dry camping I could make it a week and maybe two but my wife not so much and then pack up and head head home after two days or when the water runs low.

We will stick with hotels, resorts, timeshare getaways and Marriott's Residence Inns.

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
First off, I don't have one.
Have a cousin who had one, not the largest and not the smallest, but it was very nice, and he bought it brand new.
He bought it impulsively, and frankly I can understand that because every time I watch a show on TV
about the newest, latest greatest RVs, it's like a dream and I want one myself!
But then the next morning I always say, "What the heck was I thinking about?"
Anyway, after a few years my cousin was continually complaining about the costs, saying it was more than he ever bargained for,
but unfortunately there was nothing he could do. It obviously depreciated a lot, and after 15 years he sold it. Said it was a happy day.
He literally said, "the ball & chain is finally gone".

Frankly I've never understood the appeal, all considered, except for the freedom it might offer, and even that is debatable.
I think for some, not all, it's the thought of having an RV more than the actual experience.
Many people adore the lifestyle it offers, but I see them as staying away from the best areas of any destination,
and not being able to have the comfort of a nice hotel or timeshare, and that immediately turns me off.

What you do get is the "same old, same old" rooms, which you have to clean yourself, and the never-ending maintenance,
sometimes while on the road. Talk about maintenance fees!!! A timeshare's maintenance fee is nothing compared to an RVs many "fees".
And the "worries" in the back of your mind when you embark on a trip are what "could happen", you cannot escape that thought,
and that alone kept me from ever considering one.
To arrive at a wonderful hotel or timeshare condo, use the facilities, and leave without looking back is the only way to travel for us.
We've been able to go to so many more places.
An RV definitely restricts your choices of destinations and experiences, and we are not going to sacrifice that.
We've had an amazing life of vacations, and our kids have too....frankly, not possible with an RV.

That said, if you want to see what it's like, rent one (more than once) and see how you like it.
It's the same advice I give for those considering timeshares!!!
Not much difference in that you never know about anything until you see how it does for YOUR family. We're all different.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Is there a recommended place to rent RVs or a service similar to turo? I just looked at a local rental. $1500 per week for a small RV plus nightly camping fees. Seems a bit rich compared to timesharing.
Outdoorsy.com (owner rentals)
Cruiseamerica.com (like a traditional rental car company)
elmonterv.com (same as Cruiseamerica)

I saw another one listed in another thread and I'll post it when I can find it.
Noted in another thread: https://rvshare.com/

Btw, we love camping and in fact, we just got back from tent camping this past weekend. But when you throw an RV into the mix, there is nothing low cost about camping. The site will be $25/nt minimum, gas is expensive because the RV's get terrible mileage, and if renting you pay extra if you use the generator. You also need equipment - for example a shade canopy - things that you don't anticipate. Camping is a labor of love. We love it but amongst our friends, we are in the minority.

Last edited:

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
It obviously depreciated a lot, and after 15 years he sold it. Said it was a happy day.
He literally said, "the ball & chain is finally gone".

I also have never owned an RV but in my younger days in Las Vegas I did own corvettes and speed boats. The second happiest days in my life were when I bought them... the very happiest was when I sold them. For me I think an RV would be much the same.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
One thought about camping - there is nothing like sleeping and hearing the wind in the trees all around you. Waking up with the birds is an excellent way to start the day. Sitting by the fire (both in the morning and at night) is one of the great joys of camping. Last Saturday night we saw more stars in the sky than I thought possible. We had a beautiful site at the top of an incline. My husband said that it was like stadium seating for stargazing. Of course it was a hike to the bathrooms but I just figured that I got more steps in, lol. If you choose your location correctly you can feel like you are all by yourself, or if you prefer, right in the middle of the party. (We prefer to be far, far away from others). There aren't a lot of distractions when camping - we don't use any electronics when we camp and phone coverage can be very hit and miss. It is a much slower pace than resorting. We are big hikers so camping offers us quick access to the trails.

That said, we are not above hanging out by the pool at a resort, but it is a different mindset because of the sheer volume of fellow vacationers. It is nice sleeping in a bed because no matter how nice our inflatable sleeping pads are they do not compare to a bed at a timeshare. It's nice to cook in a real kitchen and to also have choices of restaurants. Both styles of travel are great to us, but as I have said before, we seem to like camping more than any of our friends, so perhaps we are outliers when it comes to camping.

We only use RV's when we are camping in months where weather may be a consideration, especially potential snow. Otherwise tent camping is just fine by us. I certainly won't knock anyone who RV's and enjoys it because that's their business, but I think that renting an RV is the perfect compromise if you want to try it out before you drop a ton of money on a rig. And with kids, I wouldn't knock tent camping because there is a sense of adventure that comes with tent camping that kids especially love. We took our kids camping a lot, then made trips to Hawaii during the high school years, and they still talk about the camping trips with great fondness. They liked Hawaii a lot but loved the camping trips more. (Why did we even bother to spend the $$ to take them to Hawaii?? :p )

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Maybe this post will talk you into a fifth wheel. :love:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
CruiseAmerica usually has deal in the spring and the fall. Especially on one way rentals. In the spring they are bringing the vehicles out of the southern markets and up to the northern states. So out of Phoenix and Florida to all over the us. In the fall it is the return trek. They also have a rehab center in Toronto (Bolton) and Phoenix where the vehicles that are coming off rental and going to be sold are brought there are great deals on those trips too.

Obviously right now, especially with Covid and camping as a social distancing option, there are likely booked solid. But considering a rental from them in the fall, especially those one way deals.

The best deal I ever saw, was that they paid you $500 for gas, with no rental charge to return a vehicle from Vancouver to Toronto. You often see $29 or $39 a day rentals regardless of size, during these repositioning sales back into Phoenix or Florida.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you really want to be talked out of buying an RV all you need to go is Good "is an RV a good investment".

I'm sure this was already mentioned to you, but you might want to rent one before you decide whether or not to buy. Just like a timeshare. :D