• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please talk me into, or out of, an RV

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Been thinking about RV's as a possible new way to explorer life, especially with all that has happened in the last few months. Have two boys, 11 and 14. The thought of traveling the US visiting national parks and family members in the comfort of an RV seems appealing. I am not talking a huge expensive Class A diesel pusher but rather a small (25 foot), easy to drive and maneuver, decent MPG, Class B+/C motorhome. I am also not talking about 3 month trips at a time but maybe a one or two week trips combined with weekend trips.

I've been reading lots of information and watched way too many YouTube videos (the things you do during stay-at-home mandates). This looks like a fun way to spend family time making memories. I figure I don't have too much more time left with my "little" boys before they no longer want to do family stuff. Once they are off to college I can see myself and DW still using the RV.

Questions going through my head - Am I crazy? Is it worth the buy-in cost? Quality of the RVs? Gas or diesel? New or used? Is the small drivability of a Class B+/C a better choice than a truck towing a trailer? My head is about to explode.

I would appreciate any feedback/advice from all, especially those that might have done something similar or are having the same thoughts.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we had a 32 foot RV growing up. super fun. your boys are at the perfect age to enjoy it. but tons of mechanical issues and lots of $$ spent on repairs. ours was used, and maybe didn't have good maintenance or was at the end of its life.
definitely get smaller one. If I had one, I'd also plan at least several big trips. also, factor in the cost of RV parking/KOA campground fees/gas. Is it more cost effective to just drive and stay in a cabin and get a similar experience? that's what we decided in the end. we also did not see ourselves using an RV in retirement much vs. timeshares and foreign travel. Covid 19 makes an RV more appealing now, IMHO. our friends have a small one and use it for 2-3 months every year in retirement to go to the Rio Grande Valley in winter. They also did a 4 month USA/Canada trip and loved it.
I'd also post on an RV forum for expert advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: RX8

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have more than a little experience with this idea. And there are a million things to ask yourself. You'll want to be brutally honest with your answers.

When I first retired from the Navy, I sold my home and hit the road. I lived and traveled full time for thirteen months around eleven western states in an RV. It was a loaded 34-foot Class A, towing a Jeep. Larger than your idea, but the concept is the same. It was a lot of fun, it was a royal PITA, it was very expensive, and it was mostly worth the trouble, at the time. I doubt I'd want to do it again. I even wrote a webpage back in the day all about the pros and cons of it, titled "How To Live In A Motorhome." It was a no-nonsense approach to the entire concept.

Before you even start asking questions: The fastest way for you to quickly decide if you even want to do this is to rent an RV and give it a try. You will quickly know whether you want the hassle and expense. Because it IS a hassle, and it IS definitely expensive.

You can make a list during your trip of things you'd want to do in the future, things to buy, equipment to get, and things you don't want or need. You'll learn whether you actually enjoy the "doing" part of the experience, rather than the romance of the "concept" of doing it. You'll learn whether you enjoy your family that much, and whether they enjoy you, to be in constant contact every moment of every day during the trip. You'll discover how your family responds to the experience - they may not care for it nearly as much as you do. The question "Are we there yet?" takes on an entirely new meaning when traveling in an RV. You'll quickly learn where you can take an RV that size, and where you can't. You'll learn whether you need a tow vehicle, since you'd have to uproot the RV, pack everything up, often giving up your campsite, and get "road ready," every time you need to go to the grocery store or want to visit a scenic location. Parking and sleeping is one thing, but driving your house through a National Park is another experience altogether. RV parks in the vicinity of major scenic locations tend to fill up fast, so you may find yourself forced to park miles away from your destination. And that means driving the RV to see the spot, if they'll let you in with it.

Once you've done the rental trip, and if you think you'll want to dive in, the next biggest question: Can you afford it? The "cost per night" is huge, when you factor the buy-in, configuration, operating expense, and maintenance. Even a decent used RV can cost tens of thousands of dollars, before you start tweaking it to bring it up to date. It will then sit there to remind you it is costing you money, every single day you are not taking it on the road. Systems need maintenance, and an RV that sits unused will break down and fail faster than those that are used often. So how much will you use it?

Give all this some thought, and revisit things. RVing can be a ton of fun, but it isn't to be undertaken lightly. I have more to offer, if you want to ask. :)

Good luck!
Dave

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I would rent first. We did that and enjoyed our experiences but didn't have to worry about maintenance or storage. We rented from Cruise America, but recently found www.outdoorsy.com and that is where we plan to rent from next. If you try it and you like it, it also gives you an opportunity to discover what type/size of RV works best for you and what features you like.

Also your kids are the perfect age right now, but in five or six short years that window will start to close. School activities, college and friends will have to figure into the equation. We had a tent trailer when our kids were younger and used it like crazy in the beginning, but by the time they were in high school we started to use it less and less. We wound up selling it for more than we paid (buy resale of course and wait it out for a great deal - there's always someone looking to unload an RV). I also had friends who would buy a used RV in the late spring, use it all summer, then resell it at the end of the summer so that they didn't have to store it. It seemed like it really worked for them. We never tried.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I have no direct experience in this area but one thing I remembered when I stumbled across this thread was the price of campsites....you might want to check out those prices too as part of your decision making process.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother in law, has one and they loved it. He is a retired GM15 with the federal government. They have travel to California, the state of Washington, and all the forty-nine states, plus Canada and Mexico numerous times in the past thirty (30) years. They do not fly, they will only travel by their RV.

He loved to drive and his spouse is his navigator and chef.
No kids that even a dog for a pet.

They do not own a timeshare.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
There are numerous RVs in our neighborhood. Some of our friends think we are crazy for owning timeshares. Timeshares and RVs are both luxuries in my opinion. Texas is blessed with numerous state and federal parks, sporting events, and other outdoor recreational activities to be enjoyed. If you enjoy hunting, fishing, boating, tailgating, and camping; an RV might be ideal. I don’t particularly enjoy driving and find driving long distances to be quite stressful. However, DW and I enjoy stretching out in a nice hotel room or a timeshare after a long trip.
D739D79B-37F5-487F-A041-7B30E1811F0E.jpeg

Wishing you good health and fun vacations no matter what your choice of travel.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
An episode of "Mad About You" comes to mind right now. Carol Burnett played the mom of one of the kids, and she was sick and tired of the motorhome. Hilarious episode. After that show, my mom and stepdad bought one. They loved it, but most of the time, it needed something done. Kind of a big waste of money, if you ask me, but weigh the cost of hotels on the road, and it might be worth it.

We had a full-size van that had a conversion, but it got about 16 MPG, so it wasn't too bad in the 1990's. Our son was crazy about it and vacuumed the interior constantly. Pretty fancy for 1991. I loved it, too. It was pretty and tons of fun, but Rick and I took turns sleeping in it on the way to Orlando (1,800 miles), so we could keep going. I would never do that again. Arriving at our timeshare was always such relief, and we had a lot of sleep to make up for.

The kids fought a lot on the road. We would get off at an exit and have them run out their energy on a school playground or down a suburban street, and they thought we were evil for doing that, but it was Rick's idea, and I thought it was a great idea, but the kids today (in their 40's) kind of think of it as child abuse. I thought it was genius and still think of it that way.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
The only way I would think of buying an RV would be to go to music festivals. But those days are beyond me now!

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with renting first to try it. We owned a smaller 21 foot Winnebago Class C motorhome and traveled/camped a lot before timesharing and cottage up north. Loved it and our kids loved it too. Lots of great/fun memories. :cool: Good luck with your decision.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Before my wife and I chose to go the timeshare route, I had contemplated buying a used RV. I was thinking of investing perhaps $20 to 30K in a newer used one with low miles. Also, I didn't particularly want a huge 40 foot one either because some campgrounds limit the length to something around 30'. I was surprised that there are gas class B or C RVs out there with 5 to 10K miles on them and are in like-new condition for a fairly low cost.

I have a neighbor/friend who had an eight or ten year old (at that time) 39' Rexhall. When he first bought it, it was only a few years old and had 25K miles on it. I spent hours talking to him and gaining knowledge from his own experience.

I put together a spreadsheet comparing the cost of RV's to timeshares. Things like gas, tires, oil changes, campground fees, dumping fees, batteries, etc. My friend's RV required 4 transmissions by the time it got to 60K miles (he had to put in tranny #3 and #4). In his words: the transmissions on most GM or Ford based RVs were built for a large van and they don't hold up well pulling 30,000 pounds around on mountainous roads in summer heat. At 60K when the 3rd tranny went out, he went to a performance tranny shop and they re-built it with heavy duty parts, replaced the aluminum gears with steel gears, added a large transmission cooler, added a much bigger transmission reservoir and put in synthetic transmission fluid. Since then he has put another 80K miles on his rig and it is still going strong.

I think that the deciding factor for my wife was when I announced that if we were dry camping (i.e., no hook-ups for water or electricity) that she wouldn't be able to take her daily 20 minute hot shower and wash clothes every day. But, for a young family and the issue of Covid-19, perhaps an RV would make a lot of sense.

The advice given by others to rent an RV first, seems like a good idea.

geekette

Reaction score
Get a B, C isn't going to be comfortable with kids of those growing ages. Space gets cramped no matter what over 2 weeks. Towing, that's going to be vehicle-dependent. Diesel vs gas, I think that ends up being personal preference. I would want the easy pull out awning, will make things so much nicer in rain or very hot sun.

RV travel is a lot of fun. Make sure you have a reputable dealer/mechanic nearby, consider storage when not in use.

Get the annual park pass. Look at Woodall's for camp sites. They can be great on truth about amenities and costs. You can handle primitive camping, being self-contained, but might not want to park by a swampy pond but would love woodsy area with a great pool, arcade, camp store.

My biggest tip: give the kids "jobs". When we cruised with a pop up, my job was stabilizer feet and pulling the beds out and getting their frames set. When we did rv, my job was navigator and campsite finder, then on arrival, pulling out awning and other outdoor set up (5 chairs, our little grill, stuff from the outside bays). my sister did run-time snacks and cleanup. My brother fetched firewood and was activity director (he'd scope the amenities and decide if we should use the pool or row some boats, how the horses looked, how much mini golf cost... and where the amusement parks were).

You'll figure out how you like to roll, but definitely make it a group activity as otherwise, there are way too many chores involved in camping to stick it on mom and dad. It would be a great opportunity to teach the kids outdoor cooking, correct shut down of an outdoor fire before leaving it, not leaving trash around, etc. and a great chance to see wildlife. I could not recommend it highly enough, as your kids are great ages for this, you'll have amazing memories and family jokes around for decades.

Also, when you are at a spot with a water you like the taste of, definitely fill up your potable tanks. Even a top off, since you don't know how the next water will taste and might not want to drink it.

Sell it when you're done with it. And find reasons to use it. I'm sure there are interesting fairs and other events around that you've never gone to see but now just make a reason to go and do it. Find the lakes around you. Go to away games. The opportunities are endless.

Go for it. It would be hard to regret it, unless you just let it sit, or wrecked it first time out. Definitely shop around.

eta... I see others are saying rent first - caution, that is PRICEY. I would buy.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Never had an RV. All my friends that did ended up buying a small car to tow behind it. Had two trailers. Started with a 17 footer that could sleep 6. It was only for summer camping. It got a bit crowded with 3 kids. So each kid had a tent to have a place to get away from their siblings during the day. Every one slept inside at night. Traveled across USA twice in it. Moved onto a 22 footer bunk house. Much roomier. Kept it stocked with everything but food that needed refrigeration and clothes. Easy to hook up and go. My current wife (Patti) and I looked at 5th wheels many times but decided we preferred timesharea.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I would approach RVs similar to timeshares:

1) Rent to see if you like it
2) Research maintenance fees - storage, insurance, gas and repair can be huge. Is it worth paying all of this for only 2 weeks a year?
3) Buy Resale. Avoid paying developer. Buy only if there is a significant financial benefit compared to renting.
4) Be prepared to give it away when you are done.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I think small RVs are splendid!

Edited to add: My parents always had some form of RV ... from the early VW Camper/Van with Pop-up; trailers; large Class C; large Class B; returning to VW; ending on their 'dream' rig, diesel with Cummins + Alison. They traveled with family, they traveled alone and they traveled often with their church group. The church's RV group was a key factor in their enjoyment and success in RV'ing.

We tried RV'ing. We like the actual stay ... but aren't particularly good at the maintenance in between. Now and again we noodle getting a trailer ...? (I already pull a fairly large trailer for hay runs; I'm pretty good at managing the trailer including precision backing.)

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm with those saying RENT. At least the first 3 trips. By then I suspect you will change your mind.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love RVs and fantasize about them. Every year I go to the RV show in town. The big con for me is that I know that I’m not one for dealing with maintenance issues. Also, RV’s are not always a cost effective way to travel. Twice we did a 5 week road trip from Texas to Canada and back. We stayed in a combination of hotels, timeshares, and a few nights with family. It was cheaper than if we had done the trip in an RV. Still, I think they are really cool, and like timeshares it’s a lifestyle thing.

I would definitely do multiple rental trips before making a final decision.

This is how much I love RVs. I use the following photos as my virtual background in zoom meeting. Got it from the Airstream website.

Attachments

• 2A81F749-02C1-4FF5-BA54-CFF910F6A562.jpeg
    2A81F749-02C1-4FF5-BA54-CFF910F6A562.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 189DC90E-4B96-441D-A95A-5CE313D1ADB8.jpeg
    189DC90E-4B96-441D-A95A-5CE313D1ADB8.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We have been RV'ing longer than timesharing (+40yrs), first in a pop-up tent trailer then in a travel trailer after we had kids. We enjoy camping more than staying in hotels/motels for days, or a week or more, as we can get our own meals without needing to go out and I always know who has been sleeping in the bed and who has been using the bathroom and how well they were cleaned. We find we can often stay in or near some cities where there are no timeshares or limited availability. When we wanted to go to Boston and no timeshares were available we booked a campsite with electric hookups in a nearby state park for less than $20./night.

The cost of camping is climbing and in some cases driving a car that gets good gas mileage and staying in cheap hotels/motels is more economical. When you calculate the gas needed (some motorhomes only get 6-8mpg and tow vehicles not much more, when towing a big RV) to get to the destination and then the cost of a campsite (can be $25. to +$100./night) it can become an expensive vacation. Many people 'boondock' (camp on land with no facilities) to cut costs. We like to camp in State or Provincial Parks as they are cheaper than campgrounds but they have fewer or no amenities like a pool or games room.
When we camp we have our truck to leave the campground to explore the area and the 5th wheel owners have the same. With a motorhome a car would need to be towed, or rented at the destination, since it is a big pain to unhook and put everything away to drive the motorhome into town for groceries or to sightsee.

I agree with the others who suggest that renting an RV, be it a travel trailer or motorhome, for a week or more is the best way to see if that type of lifestyle suits you.

~Diane

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There's an absolutely guaranteed way to talk me into a RV. Just put my grandaughter inside and have her say, "Grandpa would you come here and read me a story?" I would be into the RV in a flash.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
It depends how much time you have to spend on these trips. You have young kids, you only have so many trips to take because of , well, so many other things. Then you have to realize how far you can go from home. Then you realize how few places there are near home where you actually want to go. Then you say, NOPE!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There's an absolutely guaranteed way to talk me into a RV. Just put my grandaughter inside and have her say, "Grandpa would you come here and read me a story?" I would be into the RV in a flash.
Me too! Any of my younger grandkids.

Our friends bought a truck and a trailer, and they love it. Keeping the mechanical part separate from the living part was important to them. That makes me think of The Long, Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend renting. If you find yourself renting several times per year and don't see an end to that in sight, then consider buying one. The benefit to owning is that you can have your own stuff stocked in the way that you like it. The down side to owning is that you have to park it somewhere and for some reason, there's always something that needs to be repaired when you are planning on taking a trip. It's like a small house on wheels and while it seems like there shouldn't be that much maintenance, there's always something that needs to be done.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I recommend renting. If you find yourself renting several times per year and don't see an end to that in sight, then consider buying one. The benefit to owning is that you can have your own stuff stocked in the way that you like it. The down side to owning is that you have to park it somewhere and for some reason, there's always something that needs to be repaired when you are planning on taking a trip. It's like a small house on wheels and while it seems like there shouldn't be that much maintenance, there's always something that needs to be done.

+1 Like a small house on wheels with all of the maintenance...but unlike a vacation home it has zero capital appreciation!

Has anyone compared the cost of maintaining and storing an RV with a timeshare? I believe it would be much more than MF. Of course you can use it all year but do most people use it that much given there are limited vacation weeks? A cost per week comparison would be interesting.

Last edited: