• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please post all Coronavirus/Vistana discussions in this thread - thank you!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is there some legal action we can take? Class action lawsuit? I've tried emailing the powers that be, have now snail mailed the board. These are not normal times and to insist on minor modifications to a cancellation policy created in normal times is punitive to owners during a world health disaster. Vistana should waive all restrictions, especially for those who are FORCED beyond their control to cancel within the 60 day period
You don't need to post the same statement over and over and over again. Once is enough to get the point across.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
The thing that surprises me is that Marriott/Vistana is trying to keep most of their resorts open. Wyndham has closed all of the resorts they manage (Worldmark, Shell, Margaritaville, Wyndham) effective no later than April 3. Hilton has closed a majority of their resorts. VI Resorts (Vacation Internationale) appears to be closing down their resorts (and closed their home offices in Washington due to the Washington State orders).

How is it that Marriott/Vistana thinks they can keep open most of their resorts?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The thing that surprises me is that Marriott/Vistana is trying to keep most of their resorts open. Wyndham has closed all of the resorts they manage (Worldmark, Shell, Margaritaville, Wyndham) effective no later than April 3. Hilton has closed a majority of their resorts. VI Resorts (Vacation Internationale) appears to be closing down their resorts (and closed their home offices in Washington due to the Washington State orders).

How is it that Marriott/Vistana thinks they can keep open most of their resorts?
Not sure it is a majority, looking at this list it is only 22. Far more are on the list of those that just stopped accepting new reservations.

Reaction score
Any majority of you deciding when you THINK you'll be able to vacation? I booked a Hawaii vacation the end of July? Do you think that will be too early? I know it's merely speculation, just wondering anyone's thoughts?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Any majority of you deciding when you THINK you'll be able to vacation? I booked a Hawaii vacation the end of July? Do you think that will be too early? I know it's merely speculation, just wondering anyone's thoughts?

July sure, but what year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I think things will slowly start to open in late May or early June. I fully expect restrictions and social distancing to continue, but with expanded testing and a gradual resumption of daily activities. I can’t imagine we won’t have a strategy in place by then which starts to mitigate the economic destruction that has taken place.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

It will not be until Maui (and likely the entire state) starts to show significant recover following the peak - which has not occurred yet. They were late to the SAH strategy.

I have a reservation for WKORV in mid-Sept. hopefully, we will know 60 days before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
We moved our April reservation to late June (for Kauai), knowing that there’s a good chance we’ll have to cancel.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Was thinking about aiming for Maui for Labor Day, but I think I will just try something closer.

I did just book one of the elusive 1bd at Nanea for next year. If that doesn't hold, then help us all..

blondietink

Reaction score
I booked for the beginning of November at WKORVN for early November for 11 days. Fingers crossed. Airfare is decent now, too.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about aiming for Maui for Labor Day, but I think I will just try something closer.

I did just book one of the elusive 1bd at Nanea for next year. If that doesn't hold, then help us all..

We have one of those booked for August. But haven't bought the air yet.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Updated data (April 17) comparing NYC and Santa Clara County. Interesting.
Day 35 SAH for us.

Note: The deaths are being under counted in SCC - reported deaths in SNFs is delayed (similar to NYC).
Seniors dying in Care Centers will become the next big numbers (and news cycles). The private ones are not required to report through same channels. But, will show up in increased deaths recorded by Coroner’s offices... eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'd definitely book airfare now while it's cheap. If your destination is still "closed" due to the pandemic, airlines have been ordered by the DOT to issue refunds . It was also mandated that any carrier accepting bailout money must continue flying (ie not lay off workers) as a condition of them accepting federal relief money, so there's little risk to you if you choose one of these airlines. (The ten airlines who accepted money are listed in the last link below.)

PS - If you have suppressed immunity or might be fearful of traveling even after stay-at-home orders are lifted, then you might do otherwise because you probably wouldn't be covered under the COVID-specific relief policies.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
It was also mandated that any carrier accepting bailout money must continue flying (ie not lay off workers) as a condition of them accepting federal relief money, so there's little risk to you if you choose one of these airlines. (The ten airlines who accepted money are listed in the last link below.)

The airlines only have to agree to not layoff employees through September 30, 2020.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'd definitely book airfare now while it's cheap. If your destination is still "closed" due to the pandemic, airlines have been ordered by the DOT to issue refunds . It was also mandated that any carrier accepting bailout money must continue flying (ie not lay off workers) as a condition of them accepting federal relief money, so there's little risk to you if you choose one of these airlines. (The ten airlines who accepted money are listed in the last link below.)

PS - If you have suppressed immunity or might be fearful of traveling even after stay-at-home orders are lifted, then you might do otherwise because you probably wouldn't be covered under the COVID-specific relief policies.

Perhaps. But the airlines are playing a lot of games to not cancel flights. Consolidating routes. Cancelling only the day of the flight. Basically doing everything they can to make is to the customer has to cancel first. Forcing them to take credits, not refunds.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The airlines only have to agree to not layoff employees through September 30, 2020.

Yes, but if COVID is still around, or loops back around in the fall, I'd expect a second bailout. The federal government is not going to let major airlines fail. Perhaps the smaller ones, but not the legacy ones. They are essential to America.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perhaps. But the airlines are playing a lot of games to not cancel flights. Consolidating routes. Cancelling only the day of the flight. Basically doing everything they can to make is to the customer has to cancel first. Forcing them to take credits, not refunds.

Yeah, but they were playing these games before COVID. I don't think I've ever booked a flight well in advance of travel date where they haven't altered my itinerary. Most of the time it's just a few minutes here or there but a few times they've changed it significantly. When it's the latter, they always allow you to cancel or re-book on another flight for free, which you can use to your advantage by calling, armed with the flight numbers you want to take. If a seat is available, they'll accommodate you. The only caveat is it has to be the same day of travel and the same airports.

The only time I've ever lost out was when one of the discount airlines (Frontier?) canceled my sweet, cheap direct flight from Cincinnati to San Francisco and re-booked me on a layover that significantly added to my commute time and would have ruined that entire day that my Cali friends and I had planned. So I canceled it and rebooked on another airline. But I found out the hard way that I only got the price of the ticket back and not the "Premium Plus" package price which upgraded me to economy plus and allowed me to pick my seat in advance.

Anyway, I'd still book now, but YMMV.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Pretty sure I saw on Alaska that any this year is eligible for cancellation with refund and waved change fees. Maybe I misread the fine print though. Originally had it for travel purchased by May 31st and I was hoping to buy some for next year with this restriction waived but they seemed to have revised it already.

For southwest, the "wanna getaway" fares were not refundable, but the regular ones were.

Edit: looks like tickets purchased for next year up to April 30th are eligible for cancellation with credit and no fees. For me, that's worth the risk of good price tickets as I fly alaska the most.

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Now that we essentially have most if not all resorts closed, what are folks updated thoughts on maintenance fees come fall billing time? Do you speculate we should see a decrease due to closure or do you feel Vistana/Marriott will find a way to keep it as is or even push for increases?? What’s your “over/under?”

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what Disney is doing.

Disney is doing a fantastic job in trying to accommodate its members. Pretty much waiving most of the rules and returning points to members accounts to be able to use after the parks/resorts reopen.

Apache49

Reaction score
Are Vistana still charging to bank this years option points? $100 or whatever?
I checked the web site and the Covid 19 info seems to be all about cancellations, nothing about owners being unable to travel this year to use their option points.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Are Vistana still charging to bank this years option points? $100 or whatever?
I checked the web site and the Covid 19 info seems to be all about cancellations, nothing about owners being unable to travel this year to use their option points.

Yes. $109.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Yes. $109.

Is $109 for Owner?
3-Star & 4-Star are usually discounted.
This year we moved to 5-Star which is supposed to be Free.