• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please post all Coronavirus/Vistana discussions in this thread - thank you!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does that work? For example the points we used for Hawaii were borrowed from 2021. Do they now expire Dec 31. Can you book 120 days out on Dec 31 so a Feb reservation or do you need to book so your stay ends Dec 31. Sorry to be so clueless. We are good are borrowing ahead but have not had experience with cancelling.
When you cancel just see their behavior.

Others have commented that banked points have returned to their banked expiration.

Otherwise you may be able to use these as a owned used year at 12 months in 2021. Not sure they can take that right away from you.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
How does that work? For example the points we used for Hawaii were borrowed from 2021. Do they now expire Dec 31. Can you book 120 days out on Dec 31 so a Feb reservation or do you need to book so your stay ends Dec 31. Sorry to be so clueless. We are good are borrowing ahead but have not had experience with cancelling.
Sorry, I don't know how borrowing works for that and did not ask since it does not apply. You should call owner services for that.

My dashboard now shows expiration in 2021, plus some banked options that expire this year.
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 10.44.29.png

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
I'm glad I waited to cancel my May trip. I figured that Vistana would give in to all the requests eventually. The villa finder is still showing 60 days restricted, so I will give it a little time. I hate calling them...always on hold or call back!

Pipercub925

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone from Vistana, and they have extended the 60 day restriction to 120, and they are letting it go into 2021, but, the reservation had to be cancelled after March 12, 2021 or something like that. I may be wrong on the date so, please check with Vistana. Luckily I had written down the date I cancelled, and it it qualified for the new improved restrictions. My account balance shows it is still restricted to 2020, but hopefully once they have some time, all of that will be update.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
It still is not adequate. Both Wyndham and Diamond returned points with no penalties. I'm not impressed with Marriott.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Suzanne Clark, strangely familiar name. Was she with Wyndham or Disney before Vistana?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
It still is not adequate. Both Wyndham and Diamond returned points with no penalties. I'm not impressed with Marriott.
Diamond does have penalties...depends on the case. I called Diamond today to cancel our 3 May booking at Ka'anapali Beach Club. They told me they were giving full points back only for bookings arriving up through 20 April. Were we to cancel today, we would lose half our points.

FWIW, I'm not impressed with Marriott here either, and MCVI has contaminated Starwood.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Diamond does have penalties...depends on the case. I called Diamond today to cancel our 3 May booking at Ka'anapali Beach Club. They told me they were giving full points back only for bookings arriving up through 20 April. Were we to cancel today, we would lose half our points.

FWIW, I'm not impressed with Marriott here either, and MCVI has contaminated Starwood.
Wow that makes no sense. Maybe they too think the virus will disappear by Easter. Seriously I hope that if you wait to cancel they will extend that April 20 date.

Em_in_NJ

Reaction score
If you are unhappy with the way Vistana has been handling this situation, please contact their Customer Advocacy Department. I demanded a way to provide feedback on my last call with customer service, and they provided me the information below. I also asked for the names and contact info for their executive board, but the rep could only provide me one name, and no contact info - Stephen Weisz, President and CEO of Marriott Vacations Worldwide.

customeradvocacy@mvwc.com
800-860-9384

My husband just called the customer advocacy number and we did not have to wait on hold. We provided our feedback and disappointment in Vistana restricting options for these cancellations. The rep did confirm the very recent decision regarding the 120 day window and extension of those points into next year. He indicated that their systems still need to be updated for this change, and that they were going to retroactively apply this to cancellations from 3/13/20 onward.

Another place to provide feedback would be on the BBB site. I saw one complaint from 3/17/20 regarding the pandemic cancellation policy, and Vistana posted a public response the next day.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I just got off the phone from Vistana, and they have extended the 60 day restriction to 120, and they are letting it go into 2021, but, the reservation had to be cancelled after March 12, 2021 or something like that. I may be wrong on the date so, please check with Vistana. Luckily I had written down the date I cancelled, and it it qualified for the new improved restrictions. My account balance shows it is still restricted to 2020, but hopefully once they have some time, all of that will be update.
My husband just called the customer advocacy number and we did not have to wait on hold. We provided our feedback and disappointment in Vistana restricting options for these cancellations. The rep did confirm the very recent decision regarding the 120 day window and extension of those points into next year. He indicated that their systems still need to be updated for this change, and that they were going to retroactively apply this to cancellations from 3/13/20 onward.

Another place to provide feedback would be on the BBB site. I saw one complaint from 3/17/20 regarding the pandemic cancellation policy, and Vistana posted a public response the next day.

I'm glad they are making some concessions. And that I waited to cancel my 3/27 check-in until I was less than 2 weeks away. So I am fortunately within their 3/13 cutoff. But I think it still penalizes those who were being more pro-active by cancelling their travel more than 2 weeks in advance.
They should give same treatment on star options for all cancelled March check-in dates if cancelled within 30 days.

I will email to the address Em_in_NJ provided

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
I have a May 13-20 Staroption reservation for WPORV that I've been delaying to cancel until Vistana pulled its head out of its rear end. It sounds as if the new cancellation policy still needs the kinks worked out in terms of the dashboard being updated, etc. I know some owners who called to cancel when the options were restricted for 2020 use and a 60 day advance reservation was in place were fortunate to get a sympathetic agent on the phone who allowed them to re-reserve for fall. I doubt that will happen now and will just need to begin checking for September availability in May for our Kaua'i trip. Fortunately, I paid a higher rate for a Hertz reservation I could cancel and 'banking' my Alaska Airlines fares was pretty seamless. First world problems, right?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM!! I own at St. John, and I hate Vistana now!! They obviously do not care about their owners or the safety of people in the states people will be traveling to. Every other travel business cares about their customers. It is obvious the leadership at Vistana/Marriott is more concerned about their own profits. I wish I did not own with this horrible uncaring company. I like you want to cancel, and they are restricting my options which causes issues with airfare etc. STAY AWAY From them. I will tell everyone I know about how they are responding. You see a companies true colors during crisis. I would rate their response with a big F!! Good luck to everyone, and stay safe!!
Don't blame Vistana...blame Marriott Vacation Club. Marriott (now owner of Vistana) has imposed their policies on Vistana. Vistana was very good to us when the hurricanes closed St John, and I am sure they would treat us better now if they were allowed to. But Marriott is now screwing Vistana owners like they screwed their Frenchman's Cove owners after the hurricanes.

jimcelia

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali
Westin Kaanapali North
Westin Desert Willow
Westin Princeville
Hyatt Highlands Inn

Yes - and they're going to be completely integrated soon.

jimcelia

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali
Westin Kaanapali North
Westin Desert Willow
Westin Princeville
Hyatt Highlands Inn
I was told on the phone just now that the 120 day window and 12/21 expiration is in effect, it will take time to reflect on line. I will cancel my 3 hawaii trips now.
FINALLY!!! This is sounded better - at least they have moved. The window should still me more than 120 days, but its better. I'm still waiting to cancel my 4/9 & 4/13 reservations for at least a few more days.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Atlantis closed until May 15th. I would assume that would mean HRA as well.

Angelsfanjb

Reaction score
Don't blame Vistana...blame Marriott Vacation Club. Marriott (now owner of Vistana) has imposed their policies on Vistana. Vistana was very good to us when the hurricanes closed St John, and I am sure they would treat us better now if they were allowed to. But Marriott is now screwing Vistana owners like they screwed their Frenchman's Cove owners after the hurricanes.
I have to blame Vistana!! That is who I own from, and they are responsible. I am an original Starwood guy. Starwood was awesome!! Yes Marriott ruined Vistana, but.....I still shave to blame them. Last I checked....It's Vistana who is restricting my options....so not sure how you can say don't blame them. Makes zero sense!!!!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I have to blame Vistana!! That is who I own from, and they are responsible. I am an original Starwood guy. Starwood was awesome!! Yes Marriott ruined Vistana, but.....I still shave to blame them. Last I checked....It's Vistana who is restricting my options....so not sure how you can say don't blame them. Makes zero sense!!!!

I'm sorry but you don't understand. Vistana is now Marriott Vacations Worldwide! Former Vistana management is either no longer there or does not have the decision-making authority they previously had. That is now with senior management of Marriott Vacations Worldwide.

Angelsfanjb

Reaction score
I'm sorry but you don't understand. Vistana is now Marriott Vacations Worldwide! Former Vistana management is either no longer there or does not have the decision-making authority they previously had. That is now with senior management of Marriott Vacations Worldwide.
When I go online to book a vacation, I go to www.vistana.com. so yes...I do understand. Doesn't matter that Marriott are the leaders. I hate them and I know they suck. But....I book through Vistana not Marriott Vacations. So again....I can blame Vistana. That is who I pay my loan to. That is who I pay my homeowners fees to. You make no sense. Again, I know the parent company is Marriott, but everything I do goes through Vistana, so I rightfully blame Vistana. Not sure how it is so difficult for people to grasp.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I go online to book a vacation, I go to www.vistana.com. so yes...I do understand. Doesn't matter that Marriott are the leaders. I hate them and I know they suck. But....I book through Vistana not Marriott Vacations. So again....I can blame Vistana. That is who I pay my loan to. That is who I pay my homeowners fees to. You make no sense. Again, I know the parent company is Marriott, but everything I do goes through Vistana, so I rightfully blame Vistana. Not sure how it is so difficult for people to grasp.

So while they are still digesting the integration you will be booking on the legacy booking engine.

In time they surely will move all to a single booking engine to reduce costs.

Senior leadership is now MVW

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Some relatively good news (for SF Bay Area) and value of SAH/SIP.

We are at Day 10 of SAH here in SF Bay Area. Compliance has been excellent considering. I would recommend the same if your area has not already, and insist it from your leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:

Also... is the SF Bay Area curve flattening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlpa

Reaction score
If you are unhappy with the way Vistana has been handling this situation, please contact their Customer Advocacy Department. I demanded a way to provide feedback on my last call with customer service, and they provided me the information below. I also asked for the names and contact info for their executive board, but the rep could only provide me one name, and no contact info - Stephen Weisz, President and CEO of Marriott Vacations Worldwide.

customeradvocacy@mvwc.com
800-860-9384

Is there some legal action we can take? Class action lawsuit? I've tried emailing the powers that be, have now snail mailed the board. These are not normal times and to insist on minor modifications to a cancellation policy created in normal times is punitive to owners during a world health disaster. Vistana should waive all restrictions, especially for those who are FORCED beyond their control to cancel within the 60 day period