• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please Ideas for Saturday and Sunday in NYC???

natashateach

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: I am going to Grand Central station with a friend on Saturday and leaving Sunday afternoon. Can you suggest things to do that won't cost a ton. We considered the Statue of Liberty. What would we do to get there from Grand Central and can we buy tickets to avoid long lines? Thanks for any advice.

lawtechie

TUG Member
Reaction score
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: I am going to Grand Central station with a friend on Saturday and leaving Sunday afternoon. Can you suggest things to do that won't cost a ton. We considered the Statue of Liberty. What would we do to get there from Grand Central and can we buy tickets to avoid long lines? Thanks for any advice.

Alot of hotels sell tickets to the Statue of Liberty so stop in at a few. A taxi ride to Battery Park, where you catch the boat to Liberty Island where the Statue of Liberty is, would probably run you around $12. Seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island would cost around $20 total for each person.

You might want to catch the Bus Tours that take you all around Manhattan and you can get off anywhere they stop and catch the next bus tour when you want--up to a certain time. The buses are open air on the top level. The bus tours do take you to Battery Park where you could get off and then back on the next tour when you're done. I think a one day (24hrs) pass is around $39 to $48 each but it is well worth it. It is also narrated so you can learn alot about Manhattan very quickly. You will see alot more this way. They advertise these bus tours on the street as well as in many hotels. I would suggest starting as early as possible and save Times Square for night time.

Last edited:

stevelb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggest that you go to the website at :http://www.statuecruises.com/tickets-reservations.aspx?linkidentifier=id&itemid=2225

You really need to buy your tickets in advance, especially on a Saturday or Sunday this time of year.

Why not just take the Staton Island ferry for free. You get a good look at the Statute and then you can go on and do all kinds of neat things in New York for free or little money. Grand Central itself is a beautiful building so explore it a little and of course be sure to look up.

lawtechie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is also a boat tour that takes you around the entire Manhattan Island. It takes about 3 hours and it does go past the Statue of Liberty. It is narrated and they point out sites of interest. It has refreshments aboard and you can go inside if you get cold. It takes off near the Jacob Javits Convention Center. It's not that expensive either. Under $30 per person If I remember correctly.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Being a native New Yorker I second the Staten Island Ferry. Before you do anything, go to a Metro Pass vending machine in Grand Central Station and buy a two day unlimited trip subway/bus pass. Then walk up to Fifth Ave and take the number 1 bus to the end of the line. Hop on the Ferry and take all the pictures you want for free. The number 1 bus should be on everyone's to do list. It runs past many of the city's most interesting sights and it is really a pleasant ride.

After you get off the Ferry walk over to Chinatown and have lunch. Lunch for two, with really terrific food, should cost you less than $10. While you are there tour that area. Walk up a little bit to Little Italy and the rest of Chinatown, it has spread everywhere. Buy a wonderful Italian Pastry at Ferraro's. Don't worry about the line it will move quickly. If you want to walk up to the village or to South Street both are doable but better yet take advantage of your bus pass to take buses between venues. It will save your feet even if you are only riding a few stops.

After you have finished Downtown, take the subway or the bus uptown. If you take the First Avenue bus you will go through NYC's lower east side, midtown and the UN. Get off the bus at 34th Street and take the number 34 bus across town to the Empire State Building. Buy your tickets online before you leave your house. Do not go on that stupid ride.

Take the Madison Avenue Bus uptown to 50th Street. Walk one block west to Fifth Avenue. Take in Rockefeller Center, St Patrick's Cathedral, Sacks Fifth Avenue, Radio City, the Museum of Modern Art, the Museum of Television and Radio or any combination you can fit in.

Now get on the number 42 bus. It goes down Fifth and turns on 42nd Street. Get off on 42nd and 7th Avenue and look around Broadway. Stand on line at the new Tickets office and get half priced tickets for a Saturday night's show. Before you go into the show head down 42nd Street toward 8th Avenue. On the southwest corner, almost on the corner, will be the most outrageous Mc Donald's you have ever seen. It is in a converted theater and you sit in the orchestra, the loge or the balcony to eat your meal. The meals are almost the same price as any other Mc D's and the food is the same. While in there sit on the top floor and watch 42nd Street and Broadway go by.

After the theater go get a snack at Lindy's. Make sure you get the cheesecake. Lindy's is a Brooklyn institution but has a satellite restaurant right on 45th and Schubert Alley, in the heart of the shows.

The next day finish midtown and head uptown on the bus or subway to the museums. Of course you could shop instead, but I would rather do the museums myself.

Take care. I hope you have a great time.
Marylyn

Last edited:

stevelb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Icydog - That was really a nice tour. I have been to NYC many times and never tried that McDonalds on 42nd. Will be there soon for over a week and will have to give that place a try just for the fun of it.