• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help what to do with my SO

Quiding

Reaction score
Hi.

I don't know what to do with my TS, I live in Sweden and bought my TS in 2010 or something like that. I've been to several trips, Cancun, Colorado etc and I really liked it.
But now I've gotten a daughter and another one is on its way so we really don't prefer traveling to the US due to the long flights with children and I run my own business so I need to work while on vacation which means going up at 03-04 in the morning. But it is what it is, I'll manage, the big thing is that we won't be going to the US for a few years until our daughters are older.

So, I have 2weeks at SVV and get 162k SO every year with MF at around 1200-1300usd each.
I started banking but I just didn't use it and let it slip away, rather costly but it is what it is. Now I have 324k SO this year (162k that expires 2018) and then of course another 162k next year.

I don't prefer changing them to SP as I don't think the value is good enough. I believe I get 80-82k SP for my 2 TS.

I did buy from the developer. Don't even ask....... Should have found TUG earlier :)

ANYWAY, sorry for the wall of text but what can I do? Am I allowed to rent these 2 TS to someone? Cancun has become rather popular for Swedes so I can probably rent it to someone here through different channels but am I even allowed to? I know Cancun isn't my "home" TS but I think it would be the easiest location to rent to another Swede. Or am I only allowed to rent if I book at my home TS, SVV?
I don't want to sell my TS as I believe I will make good use for it in the future but it sucks paying 2500usd/year and not use it...

Any ideas?? :) English isn't my native language so might be some grammar issues and I'm writing from my phone :)

SteveS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVN (retro/resale upgrades): Lakeside Terrace, Harborside, Sheraton Flex; Disney Vacation Club (resale and direct): Bay Lake Towers, Riviera
Hi..You are allowed to rent only when the reservation is through home options , so you can only rent SVV. I’ve rented SVR and since it’s a flooded market the best you’ll get is about $800 for a 2 bedroom rental in a prime week like spring break or Christmas. So better than nothing but unfortunaltely still less than your fees..

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Have you considered utilizing Interval Exchange to get destinations in Europe or closer to home? There are a great number of destinations that can be easily exchanged if you're willing to travel out of peak season....

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
(duplicate)

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
only bank your SO's if you know you're going to use them before they expire, same for depositing in II -- both effectively give you two more years to book, but within completely different property pools.

converting to SPG points would give you six more years to book, but again, within a completely different property pool. the potential plus is that 80K SPG would convert to 240K points in the new system, which would give you 5nts at the most expensive SPG/Marriott properties under the new categories starting in Aug, and obviously more nights are lower valued properties. the catch would be that the most expensive properties will likely go up in 2019 as they introduce one new top redemption level, and peak/off-peak pricing.

bottom line, don't let your usage options expire!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For us, no matter how bad the exchange value to hotel points is, if we don't think we can use or trade in II, we turn them into hotel points. Hotel points are valuable to us when we redeem for travel package.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
For us, no matter how bad the exchange value to hotel points is, if we don't think we can use or trade in II, we turn them into hotel points. Hotel points are valuable to us when we redeem for travel package.

We do the same. We only bank what I refer to as "orphan" points . . . not enough points to book anything. Hotel points are certainly more valuable than allowing StarOptions to expire.