• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help me decide between the two RCI approaches I've decided on.

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Innseason at Ogunquit Maine.
So I am going to try to buy peak weeks in Massanuten, and/or Grandview for RCI points, or Kahana and/or Grandview for the RCI TPU's. My intention is to leverage the points or TPU's to get more places to stay for longer times in other spots. My question is which of these approaches will require me to spend the least amount of money afterwards when I am making the arrangements for where we are going to stay.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Kahana? Which resort?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So I am going to try to buy peak weeks in Massanuten, and/or Grandview for RCI points, or Kahana and/or Grandview for the RCI TPU's. My intention is to leverage the points or TPU's to get more places to stay for longer times in other spots. My question is which of these approaches will require me to spend the least amount of money afterwards when I am making the arrangements for where we are going to stay.
Grandviews are good for points, but still expensive (eBay auction just closed two days ago for $1950). I think a regal vista redweek is a better option. Just not sure when you’ll see those come up. I haven’t seen any since last year and I check frequently.

If you want high TPU, you should look into the colonies. It trades in both RCI and II. Vacation village has TPU boost if you pay your MF early. Not sure how much TPU Grandviews get compared to other vacation village affiliates. You may want to post this in the vacation village sub forum.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@Eric B is a vacation village expert and can give you better insight

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandviews are good for points, but still expensive (eBay auction just closed two days ago for $1950). I think a regal vista redweek is a better option. Just not sure when you’ll see those come up. I haven’t seen any since last year and I check frequently.

If you want high TPU, you should look into the colonies. It trades in both RCI and II. Vacation village has TPU boost if you pay your MF early. Not sure how much TPU Grandviews get compared to other vacation village affiliates. You may want to post this in the vacation village sub forum.
Thanks. I think that info will help me make a better informed decision. I am basically looking for the places that give me the most points for dollars spent on maintenance fees but I want my purchase price to be no more than zero to 2k.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

I believe only Massanutten has the vacation boost. I have never seen it offered for VV Parkway, VV Williamsburg, Colonies or Grandview.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Even if you go for points, an EOY weeks resort in Massanutten makes a nice companion unit. Summit EOY would have MF's of under $500 per year. You can find ones where you pay every year and get a 4 BR lockoff every year or you pay every year and one year you get the 2BR full kitchen side and the other you get the partial kitchen. If you prepay your MF early you would get an additional 10-17 points boost every year and around 20-25 per 2 BR side you deposit or could choose to use those with points for deposit, I think getting around 65,000 for each 2 BR. You also get the advantage of the $159 exchange fee into other VV affiliates using your weeks account using VV affiliate tpu's. I usually make a few getaways to Massanutten fairly last minute so for under 9 tpu's and a $159 exchange fee it just about makes up for the per bed resort fee.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
So I am going to try to buy peak weeks in ... Kahana ... for the RCI TPU's. My intention is to leverage the points or TPU's to get more places to stay for longer times in other spots. ... Looks like they are studios and studio lockouts

Kahana Falls has studios, 1 BRs and 2 BRs. Based on listings, I suspect that most are 1 BRs.

If you look at ebay completed (not necessarily sold) listings, you'll see that a number never even got a $1 bid. So, I'd suggest looking at your "exit strategy" whether 10, 20, 30, etc. years down the road.

Hawaii TS are known to be decent "traders" but expensive in terms of $ per TPU. I looked at four 1-BR listings on Redweek and each listed a different MF. I looked on eBay and their numbers didn't match either. So, I don't know what the MF cost is. Perhaps if you are still interested, ask on TUG or call the management company.

Kahana Falls was sold as deeded weeks and were affiliated with Interval (plus also RCI). About 10 years ago the mgmt co. started converting weeks to TPU's through RCI. The conversion cost was pretty high - - like several thousand dollars. It is my understanding that upon sale, that the TPU points conversion does not convey. So, you may end up buying for points and ending up with "weeks". Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong. But if you are attempting to "leverage points or TPU's to get to more places", you need to be 100% certain of what you're getting.

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the perspective. These are the things I'm checking on before I start buying. Appreciate it.

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even if you go for points, an EOY weeks resort in Massanutten makes a nice companion unit. Summit EOY would have MF's of under $500 per year. You can find ones where you pay every year and get a 4 BR lockoff every year or you pay every year and one year you get the 2BR full kitchen side and the other you get the partial kitchen. If you prepay your MF early you would get an additional 10-17 points boost every year and around 20-25 per 2 BR side you deposit or could choose to use those with points for deposit, I think getting around 65,000 for each 2 BR. You also get the advantage of the $159 exchange fee into other VV affiliates using your weeks account using VV affiliate tpu's. I usually make a few getaways to Massanutten fairly last minute so for under 9 tpu's and a $159 exchange fee it just about makes up for the per bed resort fee.
These are the kinds of things I need to get my head around before I jump in but this information will help me come up with some sort of equation to get the most time at the nicest places for the least amount of money. Really it comes down to using the purchase price as the buy in and the maintenance and exchanging fees to get the best deal per week.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
So I am going to try to buy peak weeks in Massanuten, and/or Grandview for RCI points, or Kahana and/or Grandview for the RCI TPU's. My intention is to leverage the points or........ My question is which of these approaches will require me to spend the least amount of money afterwards when I am making the arrangements for where we are going to stay.
All I can add is that Tug has some true timeshare arbitrage experts , so keep reading and asking questions.
There is a thread somewhere on lowest cost TPU traders and I have seen posts mentioning under $ 10.

One added concept is finding a good trader that is duel affiliated - and thereby getting access to all the Intervals properties as well.

Last edited:

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to update anyone who cares. I am in the process of having a 122000 rci point week transferred to me at Grandview Las Vegas. $835 a year MF and it looks like I can also get 119000 remaining rci points transferred to me that have not been used as well. 2 bedroom unit is basically free but I am paying the transfer fees. So hopefully this is the beginning of leveraging those points into extra time at other resorts.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Just to update anyone who cares. I am in the process of having a 122000 rci point week transferred to me at Grandview Las Vegas. $835 a year MF and it looks like I can also get 119000 remaining rci points transferred to me that have not been used as well. 2 bedroom unit is basically free but I am paying the transfer fees. So hopefully this is the beginning of leveraging those points into extra time at other resorts.
Free? Excellent!! You may want to pay for tug membership so you’ll have access to sightings and get the most out of your points

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free? Excellent!! You may want to pay for tug membership so you’ll have access to sightings and get the most out of your points
I think I should show up as a member now. I joined but hadn't logged back in again since joining.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think I should show up as a member now. I joined but hadn't logged back in again since joining.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages

You scored a good deal. The MF to points ratio on the 122K units are about the best that can be had at .68 cents (that is a fraction of one cent, not 68 cents) per RCI point. Great value as a trader.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding your overall strategy... I'm not sure of the value of having both an RCI weeks account and an RCI points account. Paying two membership fees adds up.