• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bohemia97

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bel Air
Wyndham
We used to own at Play del Sol Grand in Puerto Vallarta, but "traded in" what was left of our limited time time share to buy into BelAir Collection many years ago. We are happy with BelAir and still have use of the original resort that was Playa del Sol. We have NOT tried to sell this timeshare at any point.

We were recently contacted by BUFETE JURIDICO ALCALA INFORMATION / B.C.S. TRUST LEGISLATIONS and Consulting and Investment Solutions llc stating that there was a lawsuit agains the original developer, David Kimball who now wants to develop another property. The Mexican government is requiring Mr. Kimball to compensate the people who traded in Playa del Sol to get Bel Air because there was no notarization process completed at the time of that transaction back in 2012. The compensation would be just over 20K, which was or payment to Bel Air plus interest. To get the money we must pay $2400 for that notarization process to be completed, which will be added to our 20K compensation. They want us to sign a document waiving our compensation since we have refused to pay the $2400 up front.

Has anyone else been contacted on this? Surely we aren't the only ones they are scamming, but we can't find any reference to this particular scam anywhere.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is most certainly a scam. You pay $2400 and then you never hear from them again. Give them nothing, sign nothing. They do this to make people think it is somehow legitimate and, sadly, many people fall for it.

Bohemia97

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bel Air
Wyndham
Yeah, we know it's a scam, but are curious if others have also been contacted by this group.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This scam is the "upfront fee" scam, with a different story around it. In all cases, someone convinces the victim to pay an upfront fee, and then the fake company disappears with the victim's money.

We get asked about an upfront fee at least once a week.

Jackar00

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa del Sol
Vidanta
We used to own at Play del Sol Grand in Puerto Vallarta, but "traded in" what was left of our limited time time share to buy into BelAir Collection many years ago. We are happy with BelAir and still have use of the original resort that was Playa del Sol. We have NOT tried to sell this timeshare at any point.

We were recently contacted by BUFETE JURIDICO ALCALA INFORMATION / B.C.S. TRUST LEGISLATIONS and Consulting and Investment Solutions llc stating that there was a lawsuit agains the original developer, David Kimball who now wants to develop another property. The Mexican government is requiring Mr. Kimball to compensate the people who traded in Playa del Sol to get Bel Air because there was no notarization process completed at the time of that transaction back in 2012. The compensation would be just over 20K, which was or payment to Bel Air plus interest. To get the money we must pay $2400 for that notarization process to be completed, which will be added to our 20K compensation. They want us to sign a document waiving our compensation since we have refused to pay the $2400 up front.

Has anyone else been contacted on this? Surely we aren't the only ones they are scamming, but we can't find any reference to this particular scam anywhere.
Hi there;
Yes, we have been contacted as well with a very elaborate scheme that sounded very professional and wonderful. Until they got to the part that they fee for their legal assistance had to be paid to them before they could issue the compensation cheque to us. Of course it would include reimbursement for this fee payment, but this is the only way the Mexican Govt could accept the transaction. FULL STOP! We have run across these schemes before so many times, but this one was really convincing. I am still waiting confirmation to see if an office actually exists in this Plaza Peninsula in San Jose del Cabo.
I so much want to believe it is true - but will not part with the $3400 legal fee until it can be proven.
Sure would appreciate hearing from someone that actually followed this to the end and what the result was - good or bad.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there;
Yes, we have been contacted as well with a very elaborate scheme that sounded very professional and wonderful. Until they got to the part that they fee for their legal assistance had to be paid to them before they could issue the compensation cheque to us. Of course it would include reimbursement for this fee payment, but this is the only way the Mexican Govt could accept the transaction. FULL STOP! We have run across these schemes before so many times, but this one was really convincing. I am still waiting confirmation to see if an office actually exists in this Plaza Peninsula in San Jose del Cabo.
I so much want to believe it is true - but will not part with the $3400 legal fee until it can be proven.
Sure would appreciate hearing from someone that actually followed this to the end and what the result was - good or bad.
It's a scam, don't do it.

TimeshareJosh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to join any lawsuit against Playa Del Sol. We were not properly informed when we bought 2 weeks in 2005 that they could only be sold or transferred together- making it difficult to sell. Other sales practices were inferences they were easy to sell and rent plus lots of pressure. We stopped paying maintenance 3 years ago. Now Bel Air is threatening collections.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We want to join any lawsuit against Playa Del Sol. We were not properly informed when we bought 2 weeks in 2005 that they could only be sold or transferred together- making it difficult to sell. Other sales practices were inferences they were easy to sell and rent plus lots of pressure. We stopped paying maintenance 3 years ago. Now Bel Air is threatening collections.

Read TUG Mexican forum info -

In my opinion - you have a RTU ( right to use) contract that is fully paid in a country where you do not reside.
Ignore them & do not converse with anyone ( hang up / say nothing ) .

IMO - All they can do is to prevent you from using the contract

TimeshareJosh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. We have asked them for our original sales contract as we want to know how much we paid. We were never given a copy.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Last edited:

TimeshareJosh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was contacted by a group in the Denver, CO area who were involved with a suit - so they said. When I mentioned I was in the Phoenix area the conversation ended before I got any info.
I don't expect to get any purchase price back, about $40 k, just want the contract ended.
There are lots of poor reviews on BBB about Playa Del Sol.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I was contacted by a group in the Denver, CO area who were involved with a suit - so they said.
1) Someone cold called you.
2) How did the caller get your name and contact info ?

Not every cold call is by a scammer BUT every scam I read about on TUG starts with a cold call .

When I mentioned I was in the Phoenix area the conversation ended before I got any info.
I don't expect to get any purchase price back, about $40 k,

just want the contract ended.

1)You have defacto ended the contract by not paying since 2020 .
2) The contract Is / was a RTU MexIcan contract . Typically they are for 25 or 30 years & there is no underlying deed.
3) The ability to use collections to get MF from anyone residing outside Mexico is (IMO) based on the hope that threats and harassment will
result in payment.
4) Any conversation on your part with a collection call is a negative . Hang up and block the number.

jwootenjr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts, Tahiti Vacation Club

Hello, I just received a similar, much BIGGER indemnization and compensation offer in this scheme. Here’s what I have learned.

I received emails from a legal firm in Baja, Mexico, followed up with an hour long call in which the rep answered every question I could imagine.
This firm was selected by a very large Mexican construction firm that now owns all the former Playa del Sol properties. The legal firm was reportedly selected to mediate between this new owner, the Ministry of Tourism, and all owners who were defrauded by Playa del Sol, which had changed its name, and subsequently went out of business. The main owner of Playa del Sol is now DEAD! The scheme to defraud was designed and orchestrated by an American team, registered in Mexico.

This Mexican legal firm has selected the Realty Department of Gateway Industries, in Missouri, to facilitate communications with U.S. owners who were defrauded. I don’t know if similar realty firms have been selected to correspond with defrauded owners from across Canada, the UK and other countries. I have also received correspondence from the designated Realty’s team leader, and from Gateway Industries’ legal department in Missouri. The Realty’s team leader has stated several owners contacted have accepted and successfully closed their compensation and indemnization offers, but he is legally prohibited from offering proof. Gateway’s legal team has denied my authorization to share my contact info with owners who have reportedly closed their deals, in an effort to verify what the Realtor reported.

The lawyer in Mexico says the Mexican government requires the new owner, a major construction company, to secure notarized indemnization releases from no less than 51% of owners who were defrauded. Not sure if this is a global or less than global (e.g., US only?) requirement. The up-front fee to participate in this offer is for the Mexican government’s reportedly stringent notarization process, which is quite different from the rather lax US notary process. It apparently requires the Notary Officer to register several documents with various entities, and to clear the path for funds to be released. This includes notification of the U.S. Treasury of the pending funds transfer so owners will not be suspected of laundering money, and will not be taxed on their ‘reimbursements’. According to Mexican law, the notary fee is 10% of the value of the transaction being processed. In this case, it is 10% of the construction company’s amount offered, and formerly agreed by the defrauded owner. The realty company in Missouri would reportedly ONLY receive its 6% commission from the defrauded owner AFTER the owner is compensated via international wire transfer. So the total cost to the timeshare owner would be 16% of the final offered and accepted amount. Moreover, owners can pay the notary fee either via this legal firm, or return to Puerto Vallarta and pay the selected Notary Officer directly.

So this entire deal appears to be the Mexican government’s recognition of the ‘stakes’ defrauded owners retain in these properties, and the need to acquire their ‘legal releases from ownership’ from a majority (51%), and to indemnify the new owner of these properties (the construction firm) from any future legal action against it. If so, God bless the Mexican government!

Playa del Sol reportedly submitted fraudulent versions of the purchase contracts to the Ministry of Tourism. So the initial offered amount from the construction firm is very likely based on erroneous records in the Ministry. The mediator thus urges owners to submit to his company, copies of their contracts so this firm and the Ministry of Tourism can jointly ascertain what owners actually signed and paid, including any/all subsequent fees paid to Playa del Sol (e.g. special assessments) and its successor, Bel Air. Moreover, the mediator is urging the construction firm to INCREASE its offer to include a more accurate, much higher rate of inflation over the years of ownerships, plus allowances for “Civil and Moral compensation”. The latter is for the financial and mental stresses owners experienced, as well as their missed ‘opportunity costs’ to have used their money for other, more productive purposes! With these changes, my offered amount increased by ~570%. Of course, I remain highly skeptical.. But of any of this is true, it could signal the increasing desperation of the construction firm to reach the 51% threshold demand from the Mexican government, a requirement that reportedly is blocking the new owner from initiating any work to redevelop/upgrade all of the properties it has acquired.

In case this may be what’s happening, in my next exploratory communications with both legal groups, I may suggest they aggressively seek permission from the construction firm and the Ministry of Tourism to find much more effective ways to CONVINCE doubtful/highly skeptical owners, of the legitimacy of this scheme! Otherwise, defrauded owners (like me!) will lean on the ‘once burned, twice shy’ and the ‘if it walks, quacks and looks like a duck, IT’S A DUCK!’ adages.

jwootenjr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts, Tahiti Vacation Club
FYI, the Missouri Secretary of State’s office and website (sos.mo.gov) says Gateway Industries, LLC, is registered as a residential and commercial cleaning company, not as engaging in real estate. The Missouri Real Estate Commission rep says it has no real estate company listed under the name, Gateway Industries, LLC.

So a Mexican legal firm has connected with a Missouri residential and cleaning company to hawk a financial reimbursement deal to timeshare owners who were defrauded in their Playa Del Sol purchases in the early 2000s!!