• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning our second trip to D.C! Things not to miss?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We are headed to D.C. for 7 nights during Spring Break! Kids are ages 17 and 14. We were there in 2014 for 6 nights and I feel like we barely saw anything :) because there is SO much to see and do.

Are there absolute must-do or must-see things that you recommend? What happens during Cherry Blossom season?

This is what I have planned so far:

--Flying into National, renting a car
--Staying at Old Town Alexandria (I'll request a courtyard view soon)
--Just ordered 4 SmarTrip cards with $28 loaded

--Capitol Tour
--National Archives tour (docent-led)
--Kennedy Center tour and free concert
--Library of Congress, no tour available, so just show up

In 2014, this is what we were able to see/do:

--Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles
--White House tour
--Bureau of Printing and Engraving tour
--Natural History Museum
--Air and Space Museum
--American History Museum
--American Indian Museum (nice cafe)
--Walk from Smithsonian to Washington Monument to Lincoln Memorial
--Self-tour of Capitol

Some things I was thinking about for this year:

--National Zoo?
--Shenandoah National Park? Or is that waaay too far?
--Spy Museum?
--Holocaust Museum, if my sensitive daughter can handle it

I'd love some suggestions. I didn't overplan for this trip on purpose (yet). But a few more ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ford's Theatre and Mount Vernon are both great.....if there are any art lovers in the family, the Phillips Collection is wonderful. Walk around the tidal basin and enjoy the cherry blossoms...if they are in bloom that is!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I would skip the car if most of your days will be metro to DC most days, and just take a taxi to Alex. Shenandoah National Park is an easy drive out--1.5-2 hrs with no traffic each way. But, there's so much to see/do in DC, I wouldn't spend a day doing that. I would see Spy Museum, Holocaust, and the free zoo is pretty good. I went to SD zoo this summer, and while the cable car, etc. was great, our free zoo with pandas is pretty good. If you really want a great side-trip, Willimsburg is 3 hrs away and fantastic for your ages. I would leave in AM, and spend the night and come back the next pm. Baltimore is an hr away, and you can take a train commuter there from Union Station for about $10 each way. There is an excellent children's Discovery museum and a fabulous acquarium and science center all in the same area. This is where our 8th grade goes for their big field trip. If you are going to get a car, then I would add Mt Vernon, as well.
So, what you have + spy, Holo, zoo, and if no car, then add Baltimore by train. If car, then add Mt V. DC is a great place to visit. Have a wonderful trip.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I second the above. I live here....the car is not needed--or just for a day or 2.

Baltimore for the aquarium and maybe science center (can't remember the age rec'd for the kids museum) is good. But, the area is very quaint/touristy/quaint. Be prepared to get hit with lots of $$$ spending opportunities.

The duck tour is popular with many--I also like the hop-on-off bus. The bus is good transpo and good info. Cherry blossom season is really VERY peak season in (tourist) DC. Be prepared for lines/crowds/people. Not bad, but just be prepared (dinner reservations especially).

I live by Shenandoah. It's amazing in the fall. If you don't live near any kind of mountain (hill) you might like it. But, the 1.5 hour drive to SNP--followed by the 1+ hour drive in the park....and then 1.5 back will be tiring. I-66 is not fun for non-commuters. It can get hectic. If you really want to drive, consider Mt Vernon, National Colonial Farm (below National Harbor) or drive up to Antietam. That's worth seeing if you're interested in Civ. War.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the suggestions!

I am looking at tickets to Ford's Theater, Mount Vernon, and the Newseum right now. What tour is a good tour at Ford's Theater? It looks like I have to buy them via Ticketmaster and for some reason the prices aren't loading. Some tours come with the theater walkthrough and some don't. They appear to be self-guided, or are there ranger-led tours also? Do you recommend that we purchase the audio component? I brought up Ticketmaster with another browser and it lists prices of $10.25 with audio and a ranger-led talk in the theater.

Last edited:

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the tour with the audio and theatre tour and really enjoyed it...I think you'll get more out of it that way and it's still inexpensive!
I agree that you can do without a car...we live close enough that we drive to Alexandria, but then we usually park the car and don't get in it again until time to go home!

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another question about Ford's Theater. It looks like there is a 30-minute show there called "One Destiny," and it includes entrance to the museum, but not the Petersen House. The site is very confusing, but I think the museum and audio plus the show but without the Petersen House is $16, and museum and audio and Petersen House and a ranger talk without the show is $10.25.

Are the Petersen House and ranger talk okay to skip? Doesn't seem like it offers these two things with the show.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spy Museum - (near Chinatown, also a neat place to visit)
Postage Stamp Museum - (part of the Smithsonian)
Newseum - (haven't made it there yet)

Lots of good restaurants on King St. in Alexandria. Some in Restaurant.com and some not. Ditch the car; the DC Metro system is great and driving/parking in DC is tough if not familiar.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another question about Ford's Theater. It looks like there is a 30-minute show there called "One Destiny," and it includes entrance to the museum, but not the Petersen House. The site is very confusing, but I think the museum and audio plus the show but without the Petersen House is $16, and museum and audio and Petersen House and a ranger talk without the show is $10.25.

Are the Petersen House and ranger talk okay to skip? Doesn't seem like it offers these two things with the show.

The tickets that included One Destiny were sold out when we went, but I would like to have seen it!

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The tickets that included One Destiny were sold out when we went, but I would like to have seen it!

Okay, just purchased Ford's Theater tickets with audio and One Destiny included. I think we can walk across the street to the Petersen House after the show. The ticket only allows museum entry 30 minutes before the show starts...seems like not enough time to see the museum thoroughly. I wonder if they will let us go backwards?!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a full week so maybe a day trip to Annapolis will be too much

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I would definitely go to Arlington National Cemetery. Also, you can take the ferry from Old Town over to National Harbor.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
When we stayed in Alexandria and went to Mt. Vernon we went by the Metro train and then a bus to get there. It was a good way to get there. For the return trip we came back by a great little ferry boat that we caught on the Mt. Vernon grounds and it landed back in Alexandria for a nice walk back to the timeshare. Two of our kids were about the same age as yours and we all enjoyed Mt. Vernon very much.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds like a full week so maybe a day trip to Annapolis will be too much

Yes, getting full now ! We'll skip a day of driving to SNP, but DH wants to go to Udvar-Hazy again so will need a car for at least one day unless there is a better way to get there.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
National Cherry Blossom Festival and Parade

Visitor Centers

NATIONAL CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL®
HEADQUARTERS AT UNION STATION
50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
March 14 – April 19; 10 AM – 7:30 PM (Mon-Thurs);
9:30 AM – 7 PM (Sat); 10 AM – 6 PM (Sun)

TIDAL BASIN WELCOME CENTER
Paddle Boat Parking Lot
1501 Maine Avenue, SW
April 2 – April 17; Open Daily, Noon – 5 PM
(Sun-Thurs); Noon – 6 PM (Fri-Sat)

Visit the National Cherry Blossom Festival
tent in the Paddle Boat Parking Lot

DC VISITOR INFORMATION CENTER
Walter E. Washington Convention Center,
801 Mount Vernon Place, NW 202.789.7000
Mondays – Fridays, 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM

METRO: Mt Vernon Sq/7th St-Convention Center, Green/Yellow lines

National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade April 16

Can’t make it to the Parade? Make sure to catch the Washington, DC
area local broadcast on Saturday, April 16, 2016 from Noon – 2 PM;

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, getting full now ! We'll skip a day of driving to SNP, but DH wants to go to Udvar-Hazy again so will need a car for at least one day unless there is a better way to get there.

You can easily METRO to Udvar-Hazy. There is a shuttle service for the location. Use METro Triplanner.

Don't forget: parking at UH is $15. If you're using Smarttrip cards for this trip remember: passes are $14 a day, $28 a week for the day pass (google it). The one-way fare to UH is $9 otherwise....SO, consider the week pass for everyone.

Take the Metro silver line to the end (Wiehle-Reston) and bus 983 is the loop to UH Smithsonian. Look it up on Tripplanner check the 983 line for hours of operation. It's a fairly long trip, but the drive can be very long as well (traffic) and has tolls (depending). IF you don't know, the beltway has HOV/express lanes with tolls and so does 267. Rental cars may have ezpass on them. If not careful, you could end up with $40 worth of rental car 'toll' fees without trying. They don't price them 1 for 1.

I'd ditch the car. Tysons corner has a great mall. Nice middle stop for shopping starved kids. Great restaurants etc.. Tysons Galleria. Also, the new Laser IMAX at UH is amazing. Queue early; good seats a must.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, just purchased Ford's Theater tickets with audio and One Destiny included. I think we can walk across the street to the Petersen House after the show. The ticket only allows museum entry 30 minutes before the show starts...seems like not enough time to see the museum thoroughly. I wonder if they will let us go backwards?!

They did when we were there....we ended up spending well over an hour in the museum after our initial tour. Sounds like you have a great trip planned....enjoy!

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some more ideas that are easy to get to via metro.

Eastern Market on Saturday if you can do it. Great farmers market and some other flea market type stuff.

National Art Gallery - on the Mall

National Portrait Gallery - right across from the Verizon Center; grab lunch in China Town

Baseball game at Nat's Park

You must go to the zoo (just had to throw that in)

National Cathedral

Martin Luther King Memorial (I think it is new since you were here last)

Georgetown to shop, look around, visit the college, have lunch on the waterfront at Fishers, Farmers and Bakers. About a 15 minute walk from the metro or take a cab.

Pick a couple of embassies, maybe ones where your ancestors are from and set up time to go there. Talk to the people, get some cool stuff from that country. Most of the time they are helpful and friendly.

I like the Baltimore idea, but I wouldn't do it if it rains. Everything is outside around the Inner Harbor and all of the mentioned things are spread out over a mile or so. Add Fort McHenry (star spangled banner...) to the list if you go. Fells Point is interesting also. Same with the Babe Ruth and Poe museums if you want to fill up time. Just be careful. You can be in a nice area and then in a war zone by accident in Baltimore. Very, very rough parts of town right near the Inner Harbor.

One last thing. On the U Street Corridor you can get a half smoke at Ben's Chili Bowl. Research U Street and the Shaw neighborhood to see what it was like in 50-70 years ago. Very cool place that's been revitalized. There are a few really famous people who were born and lived there.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can easily METRO to Udvar-Hazy. There is a shuttle service for the location. Use METro Triplanner.

Don't forget: parking at UH is $15. If you're using Smarttrip cards for this trip remember: passes are $14 a day, $28 a week for the day pass (google it). The one-way fare to UH is $9 otherwise....SO, consider the week pass for everyone.

Take the Metro silver line to the end (Wiehle-Reston) and bus 983 is the loop to UH Smithsonian. Look it up on Tripplanner check the 983 line for hours of operation. It's a fairly long trip, but the drive can be very long as well (traffic) and has tolls (depending). IF you don't know, the beltway has HOV/express lanes with tolls and so does 267. Rental cars may have ezpass on them. If not careful, you could end up with $40 worth of rental car 'toll' fees without trying. They don't price them 1 for 1.

I'd ditch the car. Tysons corner has a great mall. Nice middle stop for shopping starved kids. Great restaurants etc.. Tysons Galleria. Also, the new Laser IMAX at UH is amazing. Queue early; good seats a must.

Thanks for the tips! I spent a long time reading the Metro website and couldn't find weekly passes before...just daily...I'll look again, but already purchased SmarTrip cards for four at $30 each, loaded with $28 each plus the $2 card fee (can't find my cards from two years ago so when I do find them, we will have eight...:rolleyes:). I'll look at the website again for the weekly pass...I wonder if they would let me exchange the ones I just bought?! Sigh :(.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thanks for the tips! I spent a long time reading the Metro website and couldn't find weekly passes before...just daily...I'll look again, but already purchased SmarTrip cards for four at $30 each, loaded with $28 each plus the $2 card fee (can't find my cards from two years ago so when I do find them, we will have eight...:rolleyes:). I'll look at the website again for the weekly pass...I wonder if they would let me exchange the ones I just bought?! Sigh :(.

No Worries.... you can add the pass online or just wait until you get to the very first Metro Station you ride. Go to the machine and buy the passes with your Smartrip card. You must have enough value on the card to pay for the pass. I'd wait until I got there. Just read up on the passes so you purchase one that works for you. Also, you'll need just a bit more on the cards to allow for paying for fares that are not covered by the Metro week pass (like some buses) or overage for use during peak rush hour.
http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm

smartrip_small.JPG

One Day Pass $14.50 or
Pass available on SmarTrip® cards is valid for one day of unlimited Metrorail travel; no time restrictions. Pass expires at the end of the operating day: 3 am on Friday and Saturday, midnight on Sunday through Thursday. Existing SmarTrip® card users may purchase this pass by logging in to their account online or by adding it to their SmarTrip® card at any Metrorail station Fare Vending machine. New SmarTrip® users may purchase a SmarTrip® card pre-loaded with this pass by clicking the Buy Online button.
7-Day Fast Pass $59.25

Pass available only on SmarTrip® cards for 7 consecutive days of unlimited Metrorail travel. Existing SmarTrip® card users may purchase this pass by logging in to their account online or by adding it to their SmarTrip® card at any Metrorail station Fare Vending machine.
7-Day Short Trip Pass $36
Pass is activated the first time it is used. It is valid for seven consecutive days of unlimited rides on WMATA Metrorail for trips costing up to $3.60 when peak fares are in effect. During these times, if your trip costs more than $3.60, the additional charge will be deducted from the SmarTrip® card's Stored Value. There is no charge for rail trips at other times. A positive Stored Value is required to enter the Metrorail system.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new Civil Right Memorial and The Vietnam Memorial.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Take the Metro silver line to the end (Wiehle-Reston) and bus 983 is the loop to UH Smithsonian. Look it up on Tripplanner check the 983 line for hours of operation.

I looked up the weekly pass...$36 each for short distance and $59.25 each for any distance. Kings Street to Wiehle-Reston is $5.90 during peak one way. Is the bus transfer to the 983 included? That would be $11.80 each person x 4.

Looks like I can add a weekly pass to our already existing $28 SmarTrip cards (should be arriving in the mail soon since I ordered them on Friday), but it will cost at least an additional $36 each. So I have to figure out whether we will use at least $36 each in fares for short distances up to $3.60. Guessing we will take the Metro every day to at least Smithsonian, which is $3.45 peak one way, and at least once to the zoo (Is that Foggy Bottom, I have to look it up), but Foggy Bottom is $3.65 peak one way.

I wonder if I can upgrade my $28 to a $59.25 any distance weekly pass, or if I will need to just keep that as a balance and add the weekly pass. Most likely the latter. If I go over the max $3.60 on the short distance pass, they deduct the difference from the balance.

I suppose I need to plan out the trips. If we *only* went to Smithsonian every day for 6 days RT, that would be 6.90 x 6 = $41.40. Not sure which stop is Ford's Theatre yet :confused:.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I looked up the weekly pass...$36 each for short distance and $59.25 each for any distance. Kings Street to Wiehle-Reston is $5.90 during peak one way. Is the bus transfer to the 983 included? That would be $11.80 each person x 4.

Looks like I can add a weekly pass to our already existing $28 SmarTrip cards (should be arriving in the mail soon since I ordered them on Friday), but it will cost at least an additional $36 each. So I have to figure out whether we will use at least $36 each in fares for short distances up to $3.60. Guessing we will take the Metro every day to at least Smithsonian, which is $3.45 peak one way, and at least once to the zoo (Is that Foggy Bottom, I have to look it up), but Foggy Bottom is $3.65 peak one way.

I wonder if I can upgrade my $28 to a $59.25 any distance weekly pass, or if I will need to just keep that as a balance and add the weekly pass. Most likely the latter. If I go over the max $3.60 on the short distance pass, they deduct the difference from the balance.

I suppose I need to plan out the trips. If we *only* went to Smithsonian every day for 6 days RT, that would be 6.90 x 6 = $41.40. Not sure which stop is Ford's Theatre yet :confused:.

Whew. that makes my head spin!

First: The Smartrip is just a debit card (RFID) with built-in discounts. You put money on it and then buy fares/passes with it. You simply touch the turnstile, or the vending machine to use the card. Fares/passes purchased with the card are automatically discounted. You can add money to the card at any time, but you can not (easily) get the money back. Don't over-load the card unless you'll use it. You can add value to the card at the front (outside) of the metro or inside the turnstiles (exit fare). Harder to find working/available exit fare machines, so avoid this.

If it were me....you already know you are going to use at least 30% of the weekly pass value (short pass) in a single day. I would buy it and add a little amount of fare over the pass for transfers that might not be covered and for peak fares (which I'd avoid). I would not buy the pass until I was standing at the Metro station ready to go.

I don't know if the Fairfax connector fare is included in the pass, discounted by the pass or ? It's $1.25 if not included (each way).

Hope this helps. It's been my experience that each person spends more than $6 a day if they use the metro. Just a guide.