• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning on renting from owners a few times next year

majorfriend

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm planning on making several trips to Orlando next year and will likely want to rent from owners a few times. I see the rentals offered on these forums, but I'm sure owners prefer renting to someone they feel is reputable vs some random guy on the internet. So my question for owners is: what can I do to make you more willing to rent to me when I reach out?
Thanks!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What might make you more attractive to renters on TUG is if you were an active TUG member yourself instead of just a guest.

But then again, I don't rent out timeshares so hopefully someone who does will have some advice for you.

majorfriend

Reaction score
What might make you more attractive to renters on TUG is if you were an active TUG member yourself instead of just a guest.

But then again, I don't rent out timeshares so hopefully someone who does will have some advice for you.
Thank Luanne,
I seem to be unable to find more information about becoming a member. Is it just based on the number of posts and activity?

majorfriend

Reaction score
Thank Luanne,
I seem to be unable to find more information about becoming a member. Is it just based on the number of posts and activity?
Nevermind, I found it. That's good advice, thank you I will sign up.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
renters like repeat customers...The less need to advertise the better

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hi all,
I'm planning on making several trips to Orlando next year and will likely want to rent from owners a few times. I see the rentals offered on these forums, but I'm sure owners prefer renting to someone they feel is reputable vs some random guy on the internet. So my question for owners is: what can I do to make you more willing to rent to me when I reach out?
Thanks!

The thing that will definitely make me leery is some kind of non-standard payment terms. My listings always specify PayPal or personal check, unless it is too close to check-in to take a check. I don't like bank drafts. I don't like company checks unless it is a broker or agent I've familiar with.

I ask for a street address and mobile phone number and if I have doubts, I'll check the street address in Google Maps. Is there such an address, is it residential, etc.

One time a couple of years ago, I had guy who from California who wanted a place in a Florida resort. Kind of odd so I checked his street address and this was the result. I figured he was okay,
Renter's House.jpg

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Look on redweek and find one that is verified and protected. I have rented numerous times and it has been a perfect transaction.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
The thing that will definitely make me leery is some kind of non-standard payment terms. My listings always specify PayPal or personal check, unless it is too close to check-in to take a check. I don't like bank drafts. I don't like company checks unless it is a broker or agent I've familiar with.

I ask for a street address and mobile phone number and if I have doubts, I'll check the street address in Google Maps. Is there such an address, is it residential, etc.

One time a couple of years ago, I had guy who from California who wanted a place in a Florida resort. Kind of odd so I checked his street address and this was the result. I figured he was okay,
View attachment 22829

You should have asked my permission before posting a picture of my house. :)

Last edited: