• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning a trip to the great lakes area.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I want to go to the great lakes area next September, October time frame, Illinois, michigan, Minnesota and wisconsin. I know nothing about this area. I can use my timeshares to deposit into RCI or II I also own a Wyndam and worldmark credits. I will probably go to Galena Worldmark. Other than that I'm open. We will have a car and don't mind driving 4 to 5 hours between resorts. How would you plan it or do you have any advice.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
One logistical challenge is Lake Michigan if you want to go to Michigan. To get to MI from the other states you have to drive south around the lake through Indiana. It's a pain , in my opinion -- a drive that is often filled with construction, tons of truck traffic and in some really unappealing industrial areas. If you do this, do NOT make the drive on a Fri afternoon or a Sun afternoon -- you will hit a lot of traffic during those times. There are car ferries you can take across Lake Michigan from Wisconsin to Michigan. One is pretty slow ; the other faster but it's pretty expensive.

JimmieJames1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Beach Vacation Club
Wyndham Canterbury/Nat Harbor
Lots of really nice resorts in Minnesota and Wisconsin (Wisconsin Dells, Door County, etc) and that may align you to go across the upper peninsula of Michigan to see the Mackinac bridge and perhaps stop at Mackinac Island (Grand Hotel perhaps) - not very many resorts in Michigan but maybe stay at Boyne Falls via an exchange or 'extra vacations' through RCI. I would not go via the southern route through Chicago either. Have fun planning your trip.

Jim

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to visit Door County in Wisconsin--very nice. Don't forget to eat lots of Cheddar cheese. And, have pasties in UP Michigan, fudge in Mackinac Island.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Galena Worldmark is a very nice small resort. The town itself has a cute downtown, some skiing, and a very nice distillery. It is actually part of the Dubuque, Iowa region, but also very close to Wisconsin. It would be a nice starting point to your Midwest travels, close to the Mississippi River. We have stayed there several times - It is not anything fancy, but very relaxing.

You can also travel from upper Wisconsin, into the UP and then drive down thru Michigan as kind of a different adventure. There is occasionally off season availability in Traverse City for timesharing trades. TC area has tons of wineries, fishing, and beautiful scenery.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Following the rivers and lakes will probably give you the best of our states.

Door County is the most popular tourist area with a few timeshares. You can’t go wrong spending time here.

Galena is a nice starting point, as mentioned above. Lots of unique shops and plenty of restaurants.

From Galena, consider traveling north on The Great River Road,a national scenic road trip along the Mississippi. There several wineries along the way. If you are into Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, deviate a little to Spring Green, WI to see the House on the Rock and Taliesin.

Traveling north to Lake Superior, you could choose Apostle Islands National Lakeshore or a little further east, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Pictured Rocks if best viewed from one of several boat cruises offered in the Munising/Grand Marais area.

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore on the west side of Michigan is another beauty.

When you have a path mapped out, check out www.roadsideamerica.com. It shows oddities you will encounter as you pass through various towns in each state.

Timeshares:
Several in Wisconsin Dells
Telemark in Cable, WI
Beacons of Minocqua, WI
Eagle River, WI

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the lower peninsula of Michigan, there are some timeshares in the Harbor Cove/Bay Harbor area and Traverse City area that are good places to explore for nearby regions. Traverse City would get you close to Sleeping Bear Dunes which is a very interesting place. Harbor Cove is only about an hour from the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island and is beautiful in the surrounding region.

There are no timeshares in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but Pictured Rocks is certainly worth a few days. I also love the Keweenaw peninsula in the northwest corner of Michigan. In my opinion, this is certainly worth going a bit out of your way to see.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
In the lower peninsula of Michigan, there are some timeshares in the Harbor Cove/Bay Harbor area and Traverse City area that are good places to explore for nearby regions. Traverse City would get you close to Sleeping Bear Dunes which is a very interesting place. Harbor Cove is only about an hour from the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island and is beautiful in the surrounding region.

There are no timeshares in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but Pictured Rocks is certainly worth a few days. I also love the Keweenaw peninsula in the northwest corner of Michigan. In my opinion, this is certainly worth going a bit out of your way to see.

The UP of Michigan is a great place to hang out for a few days. If you are going to go to Pictured Rocks, I would suggest spending at least one night in Marquette. No resorts, but many hotels. It’s a college town, but it the “Capitol” of the UP. Great places to visit around Marquette is Sugar Loaf Mnt, the Black Rockscof Presque Isle Park (if brave enough, you can cliff dive/jump into Superior). If you are into old movies, you can visit Big Bay (45 minutes North). The events of the Jimmy Stewart movie Anatomy of a Murder took place. The bullet hole is still there where the murder (Lumberjack Inn) and where the movie was filmed (Big Bay Inn).

If you like craft beer, Blackrocks and Ore Dock Breweries are very good. There are so many good restaurants, but the Portside Inn is a great place for casual food. Get their breadsticks.

Heading east near Sault St. Marie, Tahquamenom Fall s is really impressive and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum has an awesome Edmund Fitzgerald display. You can sit on the beach and watch ships heading toward the Soo Locks. A trip to Mackinac Island is a must. You can bike around the island (no motors cars are allowed, have some fudge, and grab a drink at The Pink Pony. A trip around Historic Fort Michilinacinac is fun if you are a history buff. They have an active archeological dig on site.

Traverse City could be a post if it’s own, but the wineries are a must (we LOVE the Old Mission Peninsula Winery). The Apache Trout Grill is great. You take a trip on the Tall Ship Manitou. They gave dinner cruises, ice cream cruises and even an overnight cruise.

Going further south along Lake Michigan, Grand Haven and Saugatuk are worth a visit as well.

If you need anymore ideas on Michigan, ask me. I’m a life long Michigander who has lived all around the state.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weighing in again -- as lifelong midwesterner, I made my virgin trip to Door County last weekend. It was really really wonderful. It absolutely exceeded my expectations.

After reading the various comments here, I would recommend focusing in on the northern areas of the states you are considering. I have been to Galena many times. It is "just ok" when compared to the other destinations that people have mentioned here.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The UP of Michigan is a great place to hang out for a few days. ... the Black Rockscof Presque Isle Park (if brave enough, you can cliff dive/jump into Superior). ..

Oh dear God, this brings back a painful memory of a very.....very...bad decision on my part.

Hot August day. Maybe even touching 90 in the UP that day.
Finally getting out of car.
Walking toward a dock.
Bare feet starting to burn on dock. Not happy. Start to even run a bit
Solution evident - jump in water.
Relief imminent. Anticipation of refreshing plunge.
And then......as I jump.....I realize no one else is jumping.....I wonder why...

Introduction to 55 degree water.
Would like to jump backward (back on dock)...not possible.
Twins retreat instantly. Heat prostration gives way to hypothermia (or so it seems)...
All of the sudden, near 90 degrees doesn't seem so bad...
Lake Superior wins again.

Delexed

TUG Member
Reaction score
HICV at Lake Geneva is a good base to explore Madison/Milwaukee/Chicago if you don't mind driving.

marjeans

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an older resort that we really like...Fox Hills Resort in Mishicot. You probably could get as an extra vacation pretty reasonable. It is 10 minutes from Two Rivers WI which has a beautiful beach (Neshotah Park) right on Lake Michigan. It is about 15 minutes from Manitowoc which has lots of activities. Bicycle trail from Two Rivers to Manitowoc is trailed and along the lake...Beautiful. it is about one hour from the start of Door County (Sturgeon Bay) and a nice drive. The resort has a huge indoor pool our grandchildren love. It has a 27 hole and 18 hole golf course. It is about 25 minutes from Green Bay which is a fun city to check out (Lambeau Field) and about 1 1/2 hour from Milwaukee. It is in a small little rural town but close to many cities. Highly recommend the supper club "Machuts". Family owned for years, great food and drinks, reasonably priced. Have a great trip.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Fox Hills Resort is also 35 miles from Whistling Straits in Kohler, WI. The 2020 Ryder Cup is being played on that course Sept 25-27, 2020...if you are into golf.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fox Hills Resort is also 35 miles from Whistling Straits in Kohler, WI. The 2020 Ryder Cup is being played on that course Sept 25-27, 2020...if you are into golf.
I bet that week got snapped up pretty quick

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Breezy Point and Quadna resort in Minnesota usually have vacancies. Bayfield area in Wisconsin and North Shore (from Duluth, MN) are my favorite weekend trips.