• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pinestead Reef

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
So far we have used this week. We also own a less desirable Dec. week that we will explore using as flex.
To me it’s smart buying the less desirable weeks as flex as that will at least give you some flexibility. I’ve tried for years to flex into week 51 or 52 and have never been successful

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me it’s smart buying the less desirable weeks as flex as that will at least give you some flexibility. I’ve tried for years to flex into week 51 or 52 and have never been successful
We own week 42 and 51. Actually 42 gets more rci trade power than 51. 24 vs. 19. We are going back Jan 3 on a trade.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own week 42 and 51. Actually 42 gets more rci trade power than 51. 24 vs. 19. We are going back Jan 3 on a trade.

Wow, that surprises me, enjoy your time back on January 3rd...I own a memorial day week and so that is the next time I will be back at Pinestead.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I just confirmed that I will be using my Memorial Day Week at the Reef. It was lightly snowing yesterday in Michigan, so I will be looking forward to going back up the last week of May

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You all sold me. I booked an exchange through RCI for August 28-Sept 4, 2022. 1BR. Looking forward to exploring a new area.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You all sold me. I booked an exchange through RCI for August 28-Sept 4, 2022. 1BR. Looking forward to exploring a new area.

Your going to love it, this is one of my favorite places to vacation, next to VBHC, in Naples, FL. It's not high end but its clean and very homey and August is the best time to go... I own week 33 in August and I just love being up there...I so hope you enjoy it...Let me know if you want any recommendations for places to eat or things to do. My parents owned a cottage in this area when I was a kid and I spent my summers in TC and Charlevoix.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Traverse City is a hidden gem for those outside of Michigan. It has so much to offer. The beaches are great (as we say in Michigan: Unsalted and Shark Free) and there are some very good wineries to try. A trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes is a must. So much to do and see. You will love it!

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there a few weeks ago using our flex time. The hallway enclosing is almost done. Road noise has been reduced tremendously and the new AC units in the east hallway are very quiet. I just wish the social activities would resume. It is long past due.

I might also add we picked up a week 37 fixed week which gives 33 RCI trade power. Unit 122 walk in from the parking lot.

Last edited:

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. I never see those summer weeks available on RCI. Did you do an ongoing search? Usually availability on RCI ends at April and restarts in late Oct. or early Nov.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Boyne Mountain, and our cottage at Higgins lake so we love to go to Travers city its about a 55 min drive. :cool:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own at Boyne Mountain, and our cottage at Higgins lake so we love to go to Travers city its about a 55 min drive. :cool:

Northern Michigan and the UP have so much to offer. I grew up going to Burt Lake with my parents every summer. I learned how to fish for walleye (so tasty pan fried or even broiled), heading into Petoskey and walking around the Gaslight District, driving to Traverse City and, of course, trips to Mackinac Island.

If you are flying in to Grand Rapids (closest major airport to TC), I would suggest stay a night or two there before you drive up or take off. It has so much to do. If you love beer, there aren't many places better for craft beer than GR. Founder's, Perrin, and Greywind all have breweries there and they are fantastic (the same person started each and sold off the first two so he could start the third). The GR Art Museum is on the smaller side, but has some very nice displays. Just walking around the new business district checking out the shops and restaurants is worth it as well.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were there a few weeks ago using our flex time. The hallway enclosing is almost done. Road noise has been reduced tremendously and the new AC units in the east hallway are very quiet. I just wish the social activities would resume. It is long past due.

I might also add we picked up a week 37 fixed week which gives 33 RCI trade power. Unit 122 walk in from the parking lot.
Dang, I did not see that one advertised, I love unit 122. Great Purchase, congrats

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Northern Michigan and the UP have so much to offer. I grew up going to Burt Lake with my parents every summer. I learned how to fish for walleye (so tasty pan fried or even broiled), heading into Petoskey and walking around the Gaslight District, driving to Traverse City and, of course, trips to Mackinac Island.

If you are flying in to Grand Rapids (closest major airport to TC), I would suggest stay a night or two there before you drive up or take off. It has so much to do. If you love beer, there aren't many places better for craft beer than GR. Founder's, Perrin, and Greywind all have breweries there and they are fantastic (the same person started each and sold off the first two so he could start the third). The GR Art Museum is on the smaller side, but has some very nice displays. Just walking around the new business district checking out the shops and restaurants is worth it as well.
I love GRAND RAPIDS, I went to Grand Valley, still friends with the former President of the University—President Lubbers. We used to always go thru GR on our way up to Traverse City and have hot dogs at the dog pit. Unfortunately this restaurant was one of the COVID casualties and it went out of business

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dang, I did not see that one advertised, I love unit 122. Great Purchase, congrats
It was listed for $2500...offered $2000...didn't try to low ball too much. Offer accepted. Just got an e-mail from Fred. He has a week 24 and 25 listed but the asking price is $6500 plus the trade power looks like mid 20's. I'm still wondering why a week 37 would pull 33. The kids are back in school...well maybe not in MI. Maybe the color is starting? Any ideas why other than it's a great time to be there!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was listed for $2500...offered $2000...didn't try to low ball too much. Offer accepted. Just got an e-mail from Fred. He has a week 24 and 25 listed but the asking price is $6500 plus the trade power looks like mid 20's. I'm still wondering why a week 37 would pull 33. The kids are back in school...well maybe not in MI. Maybe the color is starting? Any ideas why other than it's a great time to be there!

Not sure why that would have more TPU’s than weeks 24 and 25. Most kids are back in school in Michigan either right before or right after Labor Day and week 37 is a week or two after. Maybe the start of the Fall Color but that’s still pretty early. The only thing I can think of is it’s still fairly warm weather in TC and Lake Michigan is about at its peak temperature in early September.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats, I think you got a great deal. I'm always looking to pick up another unit at Pinstead, and unit 122 is one that I really love.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's pulling high because of the fall season which for some odd reason is now becoming almost as popular as summer

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
City code for airlines coming into Traverse City is TVC....serviced by United, American and Delta, possibly a couple other obscure airlines. Been here for 45+ years, and still have not seen everything. We forget how lucky we are up here in northern Michigan. Plenty to do and see! We captured on our cell phone a young bob cat (could identify by ears and tail) stalking a black squirrel in the back yard! Fox, and bear also on the property. Anyone visiting will always remember the beauty......!

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we love seeing the Eagles hunting fish here at Higgins lake. hope to see one tomorrow. :cool:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I also got that email from Fred but I have a 2 bedroom memorial day flex week that allows me to exchange into weeks 1 thru 25 and then weeks 36 to 52, so I did not respond... I'm so trying to get another week in August. I'm hoping to score a week 32, 34, or 35

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So happy, I checked into Pinestead Reef yesterday and this morning got up early and took a lovely morning drive up the peninsula to the lighthouse and then down the other side past the Jolly Pumpkin Restaurant & Brewery. I'm so happy to be up at the reef for the week.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This has been a fantastic week at Pinestead Reef, it was a great place to "work from home" at the end of each workday, I took a walk along the beach and today we went to some winerys...It will be hard to leave on Sunday...

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This has been a fantastic week at Pinestead Reef, it was a great place to "work from home" at the end of each workday, I took a walk along the beach and today we went to some winerys...It will be hard to leave on Sunday...

What’s your favorite TC winery? It’s been a few years since we went on a TC wine tour, but we always loved Old Peninsula Cellars (the old school house) and Leelanau Cellars.