• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pictures from Our Acapulco Trip - Mayan Palace

marcmuff

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just put (on my webshots site) four albums of pictures of our trip to Acapulco and the Mayan Palace. Click on the webshots URL below and then click on "Newest" when you get to my albums. :cool:

I don't know when (if) I will get a review done, so if you have any questions, just ask here.
plum.gif

laynemiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We have been to Mexico several times, but not to Acapulco. How did you enjoy it? We're always looking for new locations to visit.
Layne

Cheryl17

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also enjoyed looking at your pictures. Thank you for sharing them. Could you tell what buildings were being demolished and what was being built?

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Acapulco for first visit???

Muriel,
Your pictures look great. We are going to Acapulco for 1st time in January. I have posted a question about Acapulco. Any tips you can share will be greatly appreciated. Is it as safe at PV and Cancun? What should we be sure to see and waht should we avoid? Is the water safe to drink? Is the dress casual there like in PV and Cancun? Thanks Muriel!
DonnaD.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DonnaD said:
Muriel,
Your pictures look great. We are going to Acapulco for 1st time in January. I have posted a question about Acapulco. Any tips you can share will be greatly appreciated. Is it as safe at PV and Cancun? What should we be sure to see and waht should we avoid? Is the water safe to drink? Is the dress casual there like in PV and Cancun? Thanks Muriel!
DonnaD.

We are also going in January and will be at MP January 15-22. When are you going? If you are there the same time perhaps we can have a mini tug get together.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Murial great pictures. Looks like you got a room with a very nice ocean view. I think I remember that your first room was bad and you asked to be moved. I want to make sure I can get something with a great view like yours and if need be I will tip the check in clerk to get a room with a view.

I am also looking forward to a trip review so hopefully you will post it before we go in January. Thanks for the information you provided so far regarding cabs VS renting a car and other tips for Acapulco will be greatly appreciated since this will be our first trip to the MPA. :)

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good job

Those were wonderful pictures.

Nancy :eek:

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw em this time. Very nice. How come there are always cats everywhere we go? Maaybe because they know we love them. shaggy

Sylvia W

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great pictures!! Just what I needed to rekindle my flame of enthusiasm for out trip to the Grand Mayan in April. With moving my Mom from hospital to a retirement home, our trip plans and Spanish lessons (CD in the car to and from work), had been pushed to the back of out thoughts.

Sylvia

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
marcmuff said:
I have just put (on my webshots site) four albums of pictures of our trip to Acapulco and the Mayan Palace. Click on the webshots URL below and then click on "Newest" when you get to my albums. :cool:

I don't know when (if) I will get a review done, so if you have any questions, just ask here.
plum.gif

Wonderful pictures! Thankyou for shareing. Ben

marcmuff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

It was our first trip to Acapulco and our first time in the Mayan Palace anywhere. I posted earlier that we got our 1-bedroom on Saturday in a very bad location - Room 139 - Construction going on outside the patio door. We all (4) stayed there Saturday night. I also had a 2-bedroom reserved for Sunday. They were going to put us in Rooms 121 and 122 - they are on the gound floor in the building they are demolishing - about 4 units down from the destroyed units.

I offered to pay more or do anything to get an ocean view - so she finally talked to her supervisor and, if I agreed to give up the 2-bedroom unit (I had to sign off on that), they would give me a room with a partial view. We were on 6th floor in the Uxmal Building. I don't believe they care much for RCI exchangers. LOL. The advantage to having the unit Sunday to Sunday was that we could stay in the room after the others checked out at 10 a.m. Saturday. We left about 1:30 p.m. The staff still can't figure out why we were leaving early and why they couldn't clean the room as usual--even though we checked out at the main desk.

I hope you who are going in the near future have good luck getting an ocean view. You need to be persistent and even take a tour if necessary. There is plenty of paperwork you can take and show the sales people when they start telling you a bunch of lies and that you don't know what you are talking about.

We probably won't go back to Acapulco because the air fare is more than Cabo or Mazatlan, but I wanted to go at least once. My husband said he wouldn't go to another Mayan Palace. Like I said there was no hot tub and the pools closed at 7 p.m. - and there was no swim-up bar.

They only asked us once if we wanted to take the "tour" - not sure what they were offering, but I was holding out for cash. LOL. They never called back and I didn't want to appear too eager, although I had plenty of ammunition - paperwork from EBay, Cheap Rentals on RCI, etc.

I was able to convince one man we met on the shuttle not to buy at MP. He was staying at the Sea Garden. He did a google search on the internet at the store while I was there and came up with a whole page of "Mayan Palace Lawsuits". He was eager to tell them "no way".

I talked to someone who was staying in higher rooms in the "demolition" building (Units 521 and 522, I think) with her parents who were owners. Guess they had an ocean view and she said the noise didn't bother them. The only way to get from that building to the pools etc, inside the grounds was to go out to the road and come in through the main gate or the "north" gate, which is where we caught the taxis.

From looking at the map they gave us, it appears that it is the Bonampak Building they are demolishing. I don't know where the Marisco Restaurant was located, but it was closed when we were there.

I don't know if the new construction is for the Mayan Palace or not. The building just to the north of our building looks almost completed and it is tall (as you can see from the pictures). Also they filled that "round thing" with water while we were there, but don't really know what it was. Maybe a huge hot tub. By the way, there was no "hot tub" outside at the MP and the pools closed at 7 p.m.

The Grand Mayan building is really nice. The Brio on the lower level has a spa and steam room and exercise room, etc. We didn't use any of that.

Donna: I think it is okay to drink the water there, but we didn't like the taste of it, so we bought bottled water at Wal Mart and once at the Mayan Store (near the Sea Garden - free shuttle to get there). I think it was abut 40 cents for a 500 ml bottle at Walmart and 50 cents at the store. There was one bottle in the bathroom and we used that. I think they charged 120 pesos for that. Coke Lite (bottle) was 90 cents at the Mayan store and (I think) 60 or 70 at Walmart.

We went to Walmart several times. $5.00 taxi there and back - it's best if they wait for you or come back because the other taxis don't bring you directly back to the "north" gate where we caught the taxis. That gate (probably the employees' entrance) was only a few hundred yards from Unit 139 where the other couple stayed and the ice machine was right across from their unit. Inside the small building where the ice machine was there was a laundry room and they also sold ice cream bars and cones, etc. there. We got ice cream three nights when we were playing cards.

I mostly wore shorts and tops or sundresses over my swimsuits the whole time we were there. You can't get into the Mondo (in the Grand Mayan) with a swimsuit, however, even if it isn't wet. I wanted to go to the Cyber Cafe, but only had a swimsuit and coverup, so they wouldn't let me in.

When we went to the El Mirador to see the Cliff Divers I wore a long skirt and top. The men wore shorts - We ate at La Perla Restaurant there. It was $39 per person for the 3-course dinner and show. The food was wonderful. We paid our taxi driver (taxi number 1212) $40.00 and he took us there (about a 35 minute drive) and was there to take us back. We even had to make a stop at Wal Mart on the way home.

That is the only time I left the resort area except for the trips to Walmart. We bought souvenirs (even clothing - shorts, tops, t-shirts) at Walmart. I don't enjoy the beach vendors and definitely didn't want to go downtown to the market. They did have a few beach vendors in front of the resort but nothing I wanted to buy.

They were selling jewelry (beads) and key chains, etc. at a table right where they do the ceramic painting and I bought a few things there.

pump.gif