• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Picture of the Day Poll

How long do we let the thread get?

• Lets see how big we can get it. Let it go on forever!!

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Starting a new one would be good so I can find pictures easier.

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • I don't care one way or another

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ok, I want to through an another idea out there. This thread has become so long with 1653 posts!! I love it!!! However, what would you think if we edited the title of this thread to Picture of the Day- 2008 and opened a new one titled Picture of the Day 2009. Since it has now been open 1 year this would be a good time to do this if we wanted to.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sure, that's a great idea! It might encourage some new folks to join us, especially since the old one has a warning about slow loading in its title. The more the merrier....

If a new one is started, Brian, can the old one be archived for all eternity?

Whatever happens, new thread or continued thread, I hope there isn't any change in the format. I love the pictures but I love the little sidetrack comments (good and not-so-good) just as much. There are many days when the picture thread is the only one I get to read and the personal commentary feeds my people-watching addiction. :rofl:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if moved to the archive forum...it would lose most of its views.

I personally dont mind it being 500000 pages long if yall can grow it that much =)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the pictures, but here's another thought. I don't know how much it adds to 'quote'(repeat) pictures when one comments on another's picture. Seems like I have to scroll past a lot of either duplicated pictures or comments. I'd like the thread to be purely pictures, with a caption (who, where, when), perhaps a short comment on how it was shot/edited (Nikon F90 1/1000 f9, Photoshop elements 6.0) or somesuch. Any chance of indexing them for searching? For instance by; date: submitted by: It seems like it would be too difficult to sort by location (Hawaii, Florida), or content (landscape, people, birds), but some sort of searchable index would be very cool.

Just my usual $.02

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Starting a new thread won't really help dialup folks much after the first few pictures are posted. You download one page at a time, up to the maximum number of posts per page you have configured in your UserPC options (5, 10, 25, 40, or 75 posts/page). Doesn't matter if it's page 247 of a long thread, or page 2 of a short new thread, you're still only getting one page at a time.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Oops, forgot to address this point..

Quoting a post that contains an image doesn't make MUCH difference in download time or bandwidth. It does tend to clutter up the page visually somewhat, though, imho.

Browsers save a copy of recently downloaded files in a cache on your local computer. When a page calls for a copy of an image that already resides in your cache, it shows the cached copy instead of downloading another one. Older files are continually purged from your cache, so eventually you'll get to a point where a new copy would be downloaded, if it hasn't been called for in a while.

Most of the time, quoted images are from the same page, or maybe the page immediately preceding it, so most of the time, the quoted image will be taken from your local cache rather than downloaded anew.