• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Photinus carolinus or snycronous fireflies

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
2 years ago was looking out over a 2 acre field here in N. E. Ohio and the fireflies were lighting as if they were strings of Christmas lights. I thought at first I was hallucinating again but no, the light show was synchronized.

My wife had read about this occurrence in one of her murder mysteries so we looked it up on Google.

Sure enough, they exist! I've done a little reading and I was lead to believe that there are only 2 places in the world that this type show can be seen, Smokey Mountain Natl Park in Tn ad somewhere in Asia.

Well, add the Cleveland Ohio area to that list. There is supposed to be only one species of firefly to do this and they aren't supposed to be found in this area.

Someone is lying to us, either other species do this or their range is further than the scientists know about.

Has anyone else seen a show like this, either in Tn. or elsewhere?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
2 years ago was looking out over a 2 acre field here in N. E. Ohio and the fireflies were lighting as if they were strings of Christmas lights. I thought at first I was hallucinating again but no, the light show was synchronized.

My wife had read about this occurrence in one of her murder mysteries so we looked it up on Google.

Sure enough, they exist! I've done a little reading and I was lead to believe that there are only 2 places in the world that this type show can be seen, Smokey Mountain Natl Park in Tn ad somewhere in Asia.

Well, add the Cleveland Ohio area to that list. There is supposed to be only one species of firefly to do this and they aren't supposed to be found in this area.

Someone is lying to us, either other species do this or their range is further than the scientists know about.

Has anyone else seen a show like this, either in Tn. or elsewhere?

Hi John,

I have seen firefly light shows but not the synchronous light show you describe. However, you might have seen my previous Tug thread from about 2 years ago - 14 Fun Facts About Fireflies - there's a link in the article that discusses synchronous light shows in more detail.

Also, you probably saw my more recent Tug thread on fireflies - The Beautiful Flight Path of Fireflies . From these pics I would say the place in Asia is Japan.

Best regards,

Richard

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes and no Richard, I saw the recent post, not the earlier one. Thanks for posting them again here.

It's interesting to me that when a field gets paved over they don't migrate, they just disappear.

The season is just about over down south. It hasn't started here yet.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/fireflies.htm

I don't know how it played out last year, we went on vaca during the mating season. I will try to get videos if I can find someone to video it that I won't have to kill to keep the place a secret

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't remember ever seeing fireflies. It's something I would like to see.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's true as far as I know, that they don't exist out here in the arid West. Back in my trucking days in the East and Midwest, I remember splattering them on the windshield and had the light just glow like a glow-stick for several seconds afterwards. Never saw any displaying that I'd call synchronized though.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to see them as kids in KS, MO, and AR I believe (never one here in ID so far). But no memory of the synchronous displays.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we used to catch them as kids in the Chicago 'burbs, and place them in mason jars with holes poked in the lids. They're amazingly easy to catch with your bare hands. They used to light up all over our back yard and in village parks. Never saw a synchronous show, though. That must be cool.

-Bob

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw the first fireflies of the season last night. a few stationary in the trees and a few flying around the field.

The field was mowed yesterday, maybe that kicked them up or maybe it killed them off.

I'll be on watch every night for a couple weeks now. I'm looking into a cheap video recorder, something I've been wanting for a while anyhow.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Science in a Twinkle of Nighttime in the South - by Alan Blinder/ U.S./ The New York Times.com

A firefly ritual of summer becomes part of a multiyear quest by researchers to measure whether urbanization threatens the insects.

FIREFLIES1-sfSpan.jpg

Spencer Black
Fireflies seen at Shining Rock Wilderness Area in East Fork, N.C.

Richard

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did not see my synchronous show develop this year if it did. The fire flies were late in starting and the numbers were getting larger each night until we left for vaca on July 4th.

The area I view them in is darker than the surrounding areas because it's surrounded by trees on three sides and this helps protect the "cove" from light pollution.

I do feel there were fewer this year than two years ago but I'm not sure if it was the grass mowing pattern or other factors.

I will start a log next year and not go on vaca at the critical times, I really want to see that show again.

Thanks for the link.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Dark Side To The Firefly's Flare - From Weekend Edition Saturday/ National Public Radio/ Animals/ npr.org

"Entomologist Sara Lewis talks about Photuris, a species of firefly that lures males of other species in and eats them..."

Richard

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Dark Side To The Firefly's Flare - From Weekend Edition Saturday/ National Public Radio/ Animals/ npr.org

"Entomologist Sara Lewis talks about Photuris, a species of firefly that lures males of other species in and eats them..."

Richard

Once again I did not get the magnificent show of a few years ago, maybe all my males got eaten,

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A Surreal Synchronized Wave of Light
By Katy Koontz/ North America/ USA/ Nature & Outdoors/ Travel/ BBC/ bbc.com

"Although there are about 2,000 species of fireflies in the world, synchronous fireflies – ones that can coordinate their flash patterns – exist in just a handful of places on Earth.

And to see their most dramatic light display in the western hemisphere, you’ll need to head to the US, to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.f

“We have 19 species of fireflies in the Smokies,” said Becky Nichols, a park entomologist who has studied the phenomenon for the past 20 years. “They all have their own individual flashing pattern, but Photinus carolinus is our only synchronous species.”

Four species of synchronous fireflies can also be found in the jungles of Southeast Asia (particularly in Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines), but “they don’t fly and flash the way they do here,” Nichols explained. “They [fireflies in Southeast Asia] perch on trees and flash. And they’re completely synchronous,” meaning they flash both on and off together, as opposed to those in the Smokies that flash in a wave effect. Congaree National Park in South Carolina has a different species of synchronous fireflies, Nichols added, “but their synchrony is not as dramatic as it is here.”...."

p04nm71d.jpg

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fireflies in the Great Smokey Mountains Light Up at Once - Here's How to See Them
By Meredith Carey/ Conde Nast Traveler/ Travel Intel/ Tips and Service/ cntraveler.com

"It's almost that time of year again.

Synchronous photinus carolinus—say that five times fast. While the name of that firefly species may be hard to say, an early summer trip to see them just got a little easier. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park recently announced the viewing dates for 2017's week-long firefly season, where thousands of fireflies, also known as lightning bugs, sync up their light patterns. Though the Great Smoky Mountains play host to 19 species of fireflies, this specific type (the photinus carolinus) of lightning bug is the only breed of fireflies in the U.S. to be able to blink their bioluminescent butts all at the same time, making for quite the spectacle in the national park that straddles North Carolina and Tennessee...."

GettyImages-479328536.jpg

Getty
The fireflies in this specific area of the Great Smoky Mountains are the only lightning bugs able to sync up their light patterns.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Illuminating the Secret Language of Lightning Bugs
By Jason Bittel/ Science-Nature/ smithsonianmag.com

For these light-up lovers, each flash in the night could mean sex or death.

If you're deep in the Southern Appalachian Mountains around dusk and spy a hazy blue circle crawling across the ground, take note: you just might be in the presence of a ghost. A blue ghost firefly, that is.
When most of us think of fireflies (or lightning bugs, as we call them in the North), we picture yellow and green-flashing orbs against a darkening summer sky. But the truth is, there’s an astonishing amount of diversity among these bioluminescent beetles. Over 2,000 species of lightning bug sparkle and flicker on this Earth, with more than 125 species living in the United States. And each one speaks its own language...."

fhdpbx.jpg

Every species lights up the night in its own unique sequence of patterns, colors and flashes. (Aflo Co., Ltd. / Alamy)

Richard

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I miss fireflies. We don't have them here. We were down on Galveston Island in May and I saw them flashing over the salt marsh around Jamaica Beach. :)

taffy19

Reaction score
I wished I could see this in reality but I have seen it at Disneyland in Anaheim.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I loved seeing them again last summer while camping in Cade's Cove in the Great Smoky National Park. I had forgotten how much we enjoyed them as kids growing up in Virginia.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why the Lights Are Going Out for Fireflies.

Richard

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have them in our backyard in Virginia in the summertime. We called them yellow lighting bugs. Thank for sharing this awesome story on fireflies.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See fireflies magically light up this national park.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned