• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

phone screen protectors

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'm looking for a screen protector for my new Samsung Note 9 on which I have a silicone case. The brand I used on my previous phone, which I really like, doesn't make protectors for this one. Amazon ratings have left me confused, so I'm looking for recommendations.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
My wife and I went from a Note 4 to a Note 9. I'm guessing that we've owned the 9 for a year or so.

The 4 had a flat screen and problems with the screen protector were rare. Perhaps it's because the 9's screen seems a bit raised above the front edge of the phone case, or because it curves at the edges, but our screen protectors for the 9 seem much more fragile and far more prone to breakage (cracking) even with minor impact. I'm on my second screen protector and my wife is on #3 (which is now cracked). We've been getting them from our local phone store at $10 a pop. She searched on Amazon and couldn't find a clear winner either.

So I'm sympathetic and wish I could help. I'll follow this thread along with you.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Completely serious here and not trying to be snarky, but do you really need a screen protector? I have found that the screens on phones made in the last few years are much better than earlier ones, and hold up very well to scratches, etc. I didn't bother putting on screen protectors for my last two phones (Samsung Galaxy and an iPhone), and I never had any issues with it. I keep my phone in my pocket, usually with my keys, and still have no noticeable scratches or damage. Plus, without a protector, the screens are much clearer.

Just a thought.

Kurt

Brett

Reaction score
Completely serious here and not trying to be snarky, but do you really need a screen protector? I have found that the screens on phones made in the last few years are much better than earlier ones, and hold up very well to scratches, etc. I didn't bother putting on screen protectors for my last two phones (Samsung Galaxy and an iPhone), and I never had any issues with it. I keep my phone in my pocket, usually with my keys, and still have no noticeable scratches or damage. Plus, without a protector, the screens are much clearer.

Just a thought.

Kurt

same here, no screen protection on my Galaxy 10e

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don’t use screen protectors on my iPhone.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Even if you put in a pocket with coins + keys, there's no need for a protector.
Here's where a cell phone holder for your car would be more useful.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
My wife and I went from a Note 4 to a Note 9. I'm guessing that we've owned the 9 for a year or so.

So I'm not the only one who skipped several versions! :) It took me a year longer than you though. The Note 4 is my perfect phone except it's become so slow and the OS is outdated.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'm encouraged to know I don't need a screen protector, although the phone was so expensive I'm afraid of something happening to the screen.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'm encouraged to know I don't need a screen protector, although the phone was so expensive I'm afraid of something happening to the screen.

I feel the same way - this is a darn expensive little thing, and a screen protector is cheap. And since we each have a phone, I feel like we're at double the risk.

So I'm paying Verizon each month for phone insurance on both my wife's and my phone. After about a year, the little on/off button on the right side of my phone got stuck and stopped working. I have no idea why that happened since I hadn't spilled anything on the phone or dropped it. Got a replacement via the insurance, so I suppose that was a win.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My son and I purchased Samsung S10 phones last year and was told not to use screen covers, the screen already has a protective coating. This was at the ATT store.

I did get a cover that goes around the back and edges of the phone for my son, younger people are more careless with phones.

I dont use anything, keep it in a separate pocket from keys. I don’t carry change, I pay for everything with google pay from the phone. I have two $20 bills in my wallet, probably been there six months now.

My wife’s iPhone 6s had a broken ringer switch on the side, apparently its common. I found a uTube video of replacing it, wow the whole phone was taken apart to get to that switch. I found you can get to the ringer mute in the software - triple tap on the home button, I didn’t even know there was a triple tap popup menu lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I disagree that you don't need a screen protector. You have an expensive phone and it is good to have protection. I recommend a glass screen protector rather than a plastic one.
I use a Zagg screen protector - www.zagg.com I have had a couple of drops which resulted in a cracked screen protector. The Zagg warranty is a good one and they make is easy to obtain a
replacement on their website. You return the cracked screen protector to them after you receive the replacement.

Richard

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I disagree that you don't need a screen protector. You have an expensive phone and it is good to have protection. I recommend a glass screen protector rather than a plastic one.
I use a Zagg screen protector - www.zagg.com I have had a couple of drops which resulted in a cracked screen protector. The Zagg warranty is a good one and they make is easy to obtain a
replacement on their website. You return the cracked screen protector to them after you receive the replacement.

Richard
I have a Zagg as well. And I have had to replace it once, absolutely no problem to do so.

Brett

Reaction score

Richard

I have a cell phone case which covers the phone and has a slight raised edge around the screen.
I just don't think the touch screen needs separate protection - IMO

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IME, you're more likely to drop your phone in the toilet as you are to crack the screen.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
IME, you're more likely to drop your phone in the toilet as you are to crack the screen.
Never have done that, thank goodness. The only phone screen I cracked is while hiking, I dropped it and it landed perfectly flat, screen side down, on a pointy rock. No screen protector would have saved it. Now when I think of it, that is the only cell phone I have ever broken in ~25 years (and that is why I never pay for the insurance -- I am way ahead in the long run).

Kurt

Brett

Reaction score
Never have done that, thank goodness. The only phone screen I cracked is while hiking, I dropped it and it landed perfectly flat, screen side down, on a pointy rock. No screen protector would have saved it. Now when I think of it, that is the only cell phone I have ever broken in ~25 years (and that is why I never pay for the insurance -- I am way ahead in the long run).

Kurt

I don't think I've ever broken a cell phone - the old ones did have a short battery life