• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Phone calls to/from Grand Cayman

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I can add International calling to my cell phone. Is there a more economical way to make calls to/from the Island? Would an international calling card be a better option? Suggestions?

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can add International calling to my cell phone. Is there a more economical way to make calls to/from the Island? Would an international calling card be a better option? Suggestions?

We used to have Vonage service at our home as our main phone number. You can take the vonage device with you and as long as you have an internet connection, the calls are free. We loved it. Unfortunately, Vonage is not available where we live now as a local number. I like to have a local number with unlimited calling at my home so we are not using it right now. We hope it gets to our area soon. I would sign up again. Vonage usually has a cheap trial offer, just make sure you can get out of it if you do not like it. We loved it..had it about 2 years and used it on a trip to Grand Cayman.
Go to www.vonage.com to check it out.

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like there is a 30 day guarantee. You can also add your smart phone to the plan..looks like no charge.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
If the resort has wi-fi you can add the free magic jack app to your phone and call home for free. I used it in Spain and it worked great but only works to US phone numbers. It didn't work for calling within Spain.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the resort has wi-fi you can add the free magic jack app to your phone and call home for free. I used it in Spain and it worked great but only works to US phone numbers. It didn't work for calling within Spain.
or skype will work if you have wifi access

dbmarch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Hyatt Windward Pointe
We use callcentric as our phone service at home. Our resort only has a wired lan. We bring a laptop with us and run a callcentric application on it. We can make calls on our laptop. Just costs us a few pennies to make and a $4 / month charge for my home service.

I can also make calls on my iphone using wifi. There is an application called "3cx". I have it configured to log into call centric. There are a number of places on 7 mile beach that have free wifi. If I am in Georgetown, i hang out at Paradise. Billy Bones on SMB has free wifi.

Just start the app, dial, and talk like you would using standard service.

Just make sure you turn airplane mode on.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you staying?

We don't have a cell phone that uses a SIM card as our daily cell, so a long time ago we bought an international cell phone and a GOSIM.com sim card. We use it whenever we're out of the country; most recently over winter break when we were in the Caymans. Overall, in looking at rates where we plan to go and typically go, the rates were cheaper than using the international plan on our daily Verizon cell phone. Never had a problem.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Where are you staying?

Thanks - staying at Morritts Tortuga. I understand their Wi-fi is pretty expensive (as well as paying extra for the electricity to run it) but I might end up paying for it. I've never had much luck using Skype, but it might be an option. I was also wondering about unlocking my phone and buying a new SIM card. I will check out some of these suggestions and would appreciate any other suggestions from those who have figured it out - thanks :)

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the morritts unofficial website (hint: forumer) a lady was kind enough to do a lot of research on sim cards. Hopefully Fosters (local grocery) will have either Digicel or LIME cards available next week for around $8-10 CI. I believe she said LIME had more towers on the island. It's probably on the Owner's Only 1/2 but if you care to go to the site and ask, I'm sure someone will copy it over to the open half. I would post it here but a recent discussion on TUG made it seem some people find such a thing objectionable. Feel free to PM if you need further 'direction'.

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just researched this for GC.
If you have an unlocked phone you can get a local SIM pay as you go card, which are sold at Fosters markets. The one near Morritts doesn't always have them but the bigger stores do. Cards are by LIME or DIGICEL and calls will run 25-40 cents a minute depending on time of day. You pay about $10 initially for the card and can 'top them up' (add more minutes) at many locations on the island, including Fosters @ Morritts (customer service).

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was also wondering about unlocking my phone and buying a new SIM card. I will check out some of these suggestions and would appreciate any other suggestions from those who have figured it out - thanks :)

How do you unlock a cell phone? Can you do it yourself or must you have your phone service do it? TIA

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - staying at Morritts Tortuga. I understand their Wi-fi is pretty expensive (as well as paying extra for the electricity to run it) but I might end up paying for it. I've never had much luck using Skype, but it might be an option. I was also wondering about unlocking my phone and buying a new SIM card. I will check out some of these suggestions and would appreciate any other suggestions from those who have figured it out - thanks :)
instead of skype you can use google voice on your cell phone. Via wifi its free international calling to anywhere from The US, and anywhere in the world to the US for 1 cent a minute.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
When will you be at Morritt's? A few friends & I will be there 3/24-4/1.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just researched this for GC.
If you have an unlocked phone you can get a local SIM pay as you go card, which are sold at Fosters markets. The one near Morritts doesn't always have them but the bigger stores do. Cards are by LIME or DIGICEL and calls will run 25-40 cents a minute depending on time of day. You pay about $10 initially for the card and can 'top them up' (add more minutes) at many locations on the island, including Fosters @ Morritts (customer service).

Irene - Thanks! Great info - I will check it out.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When will you be at Morritt's? A few friends & I will be there 3/24-4/1.

Pat - I will be there with you :) LOV trip -

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
instead of skype you can use google voice on your cell phone. Via wifi its free international calling to anywhere from The US, and anywhere in the world to the US for 1 cent a minute.

Wow - I didn't know that - good info :)

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you unlock a cell phone? Can you do it yourself or must you have your phone service do it? TIA

I haven't done it yet, but that was a suggestion from AT&T (my carrier) - you must call and have them do it.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen WestinStJohn VGV, SBx2 & CVx2 SVV Morritt's Seaside
On the morritts unofficial website (hint: forumer) a lady was kind enough to do a lot of research on sim cards. Hopefully Fosters (local grocery) will have either Digicel or LIME cards available next week for around $8-10 CI. I believe she said LIME had more towers on the island. It's probably on the Owner's Only 1/2 but if you care to go to the site and ask, I'm sure someone will copy it over to the open half. I would post it here but a recent discussion on TUG made it seem some people find such a thing objectionable. Feel free to PM if you need further 'direction'.
That would be my thread asking for help - and our fellow owner was very helpful.
Looking forward to it!

B2T, I suggest u read this thread, I found it helpful and i ended up buying a used quad unlocked phone - I figure with the amount of traveling I do, it will come in handy. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156833

Our very helpful fellow owner on the Morritt's Owners website has arranged with the Fosters Express to have SIM cards as described above by Irene in the store when we arrive.
I am pre-ordering a few for members of our travel group....just something to consider.

I also have Skype on my iPhone (as Chris has her magic jack) and by using the free wifi at the liquor store or possibly Dunkin Donuts??? you can also call for free or very lost cost to the US.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would be my thread asking for help - and our fellow owner was very helpful.

Our very helpful fellow owner on the Morritt's Owners website has arranged with the Fosters Express to have SIM cards as described above by Irene in the store when we arrive.
I am pre-ordering a few for members of our travel group....just something to consider.

Pat, when would I need to let you know to add me to the pre-order? I called AT&T but they couldn't unlock my phone over the phone. It seems iphones and Blackberry are a problem and can't always be unlocked. They suggested I go to the store or call the manufacturer to see if they will unlock it. If that doesn't work, I will be looking for an inexpensive unlocked phone. Where did you find yours?

robcrusoe

Banned
Reaction score
Low Occupancy Vehicles
Limit of Visibility
List Of Victims
Locus of Values
Loss of Visibility
lacto-ovo vegetarian
length of ventilation
lymphoid organ virus
Landelijk Overleg Vrouwen
Limit of Vision
Lacto Ovo Vegetarians
light, oxygen, or voltage
Logical Object Volume
Landelijke Organisatie Voor
Loss of Voltage
Lentse Ondernemers Vereniging
Low Occupancy Vehicle
Light Operational Vehicles
Legion of Valor
Location of Vulva
ladies of virtue
Legion of Valhalla
Light Oxygen Voltage
Langstrecken ORI Vereinigung
Letter of Violation
Lists of Values
Land of the Vikings

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Pat, when would I need to let you know to add me to the pre-order? I called AT&T but they couldn't unlock my phone over the phone. It seems iphones and Blackberry are a problem and can't always be unlocked. They suggested I go to the store or call the manufacturer to see if they will unlock it. If that doesn't work, I will be looking for an inexpensive unlocked phone. Where did you find yours?
Kay was able to get her phone unlocked.

If you click on the link above that I posted, on that thread is the link to where to buy the phone on ebay.

I have already 'ordered' the cards and the person assisting me is not available to get more but let me know via PM if u do want one, I am sure in my travels I will be able to get another one. I am arriving before everyone else.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Low Occupancy Vehicles
Limit of Visibility
List Of Victims
Locus of Values
Loss of Visibility
lacto-ovo vegetarian