• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pets at Grande Vista? - Video

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've come to realize over the years that owners don't take any better care than exchangers or renters. People are who they are. For us we probably take better care of others things than we do our own. Other than fixed week fixed unit owners, it's just a rental car for owners....

The most info I have is for Disney and while DVC members often think they take better care, I've developed the opinion in that situation that renters take better care of things by a small margin than owners.
I think for MVCI there is an intermediate state - floating weeks owners who always reserve the same week(s). When we consistently went to Waiohai the week after President's week we would see a lot of the same faces. Some of them were staying 4 weeks or more and considered Waiohai to be their 'winter house'.

The only real pattern I've seen (or heard) at DVC is that the more crowded a villa the more likely there is to be effluvia on the deck or in the hall and more the likely to be noise through the walls or floor. And for whatever reason BCV seems to be worse on those issues than BLT.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think for MVCI there is an intermediate state - floating weeks owners who always reserve the same week(s). When we consistently went to Waiohai the week after President's week we would see a lot of the same faces. Some of them were staying 4 weeks or more and considered Waiohai to be their 'winter house'.

The only real pattern I've seen (or heard) at DVC is that the more crowded a villa the more likely there is to be effluvia on the deck or in the hall and more the likely to be noise through the walls or floor. And for whatever reason BCV seems to be worse on those issues than BLT.
My thoughts are different simply because unless one knows it'll be the same unit time after time it doesn't matter. Going the same week for a floating unit resort is still just a rental car IMO.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still liked Pompey Family response. Maybe the United States ADA policy board should look at or review England ADA policy. IMO.

In England there is a big difference between a pet and a service animal (assistance dog) spelled out in writing.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are different simply because unless one knows it'll be the same unit time after time it doesn't matter. Going the same week for a floating unit resort is still just a rental car IMO.
I must just be different to most then, as I look after a rental car just as well as if it were my own.
Similarly for any MVC unit or other vacation accommodation

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once when we were staying at Worldmark Seaside there was a "Service Dog" a few doors down. It was mainly left in the Room by itself and barked a lot. The Front Desk said there was nothing they could do as they Owners answered the questions correctly. So Patti and I decided that in the future we will dial 911. After all a "Service Dog" should not be barking like that unless there is an Emergency. When the couple checked out they removed all the furniture to be cleaned and cleaned the Room from ceiling to floors. They do this because the next people checking in might have a dog allergy. My DIL does have a severe dog and cat allergy. One time they checked in to a Studio at WM Seaside and within 5 minutes had to flee the Room. She almost had to use her Epi Pen. The Resort had no Records of a Service Animal ever being in the Studio. So obviously someone had snuck a dog or cat in. Even though it was a Summer Friday they were able to get them into another Studio. They shut down the original room for a complete cleaning. The Policy with WM if you get caught sneaking in a pet is to Bill you for the complete room cleaning. If you do not pay it your account is suspended. I do not know how strongly they enforce this policy.
Yes, apart from anything else, clearly not a Service Dog being left in the room.
Q29. Are hotel guests allowed to leave their service animals in their hotel room when they leave the hotel?
A
. No, the dog must be under the handler's control at all times.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I must just be different to most then, as I look after a rental car just as well as if it were my own.
Similarly for any MVC unit or other vacation accommodation
So do I but people, esp DVC people, want to take the owner issue to mean they take better care of things because they're owners. My opinion is they don't. I'm like you, I take care of things, esp other people's things. That was a point I made earlier that it comes down to the person, not whether they're owners or not.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
A friend of mine, a nurse, did a lot with service animals. She told me that even a "real" service animal can be removed if it is acting up. She also said that although papers are not required to be shown, the owner should have them. And also the dog needs to be able to perform three functions for their owner. "He makes me feel better" isn't a valid function.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Yes, apart from anything else, clearly not a Service Dog being left in the room.
Q29. Are hotel guests allowed to leave their service animals in their hotel room when they leave the hotel?
A
. No, the dog must be under the handler's control at all times.

Precisely! If you require a service dog then there is reason for doing so and with few exceptions that dog needs to be with you at all times, that's the wole purpose of one.

As others have pointed out, whilst establishments cannot deny entry to a sevice dog they do have the right to have it removed if it is causing a disturbance or annoyance to other customers. I can take my dog to a restaurant and she will go straight under the table and remain there without soliciting attention, begging for food or anything else, most people don't even realise she's there. The hardest part is telling people that they can't pet her.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know 2 people who have “emotional support“ dogs. These are simply their pets, and they have had a doctor write some note for them so they can travel with their dog and not pay the fees associated. I do NOT support this fake issue. I do support genuine service animals for those who need them. The problem is that legally the resort can’t do much.....They can’t ask too many questions...

We were at Grande Ocean and a person had their dog off the leash, it was peeing on the activity lawn where the games are. We commented that no pets were allowed, thinking they might not be aware...and the vulgar owner cursed us and told us it was a service dog. Most service animals are kept on the leash.....and really, the cursing indicated him being on the defensive...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
The only solution is for everyone to bring their dog, cat, horse, rabbit etc. Hotel management definitely know the difference between service animals and therapy/emotional support pets. They are choosing to do nothing. They will act when half of the resort is filled with fake service animals.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Resorts, Hotels, Restaurants, etc do not have to allow "Emotional Support" or "Therapy Animals" as they do not qualify as "Service Animals."

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Most service animals are kept on the leash.....and really, the cursing indicated him being on the defensive...

All service dogs are kept on a leash whilst working and usually accompanied by a harness or jacket to inform others of their role. My dog and others that have been trained to the same standards has been trained not to toilet whilst wearing her jacket. A decent owner knows when it is appropriate to allow their dog to toilet or is able to pre-empt and thus take them somewhere suitable. What you witnessed was, as you rightly suspected, a pet being falsely described as a service dog.

I really don't understand why the US doesn't adopt the same registration and certification requirements as most other countries do when it comes to service dogs, it would do a lot to eliminate this problem. Most staff are too polite to ask too many questions about an alleged service dog's eligibility because it often involves asking quite personal questions therefore it's easier just to accept the guest's word at face value. Formal identification would make this process so much easier.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most staff are too polite to ask too many questions about an alleged service dog's eligibility because it often involves asking quite personal questions therefore it's easier just to accept the guest's word at face value.
While I agree with most of your post the questions the staff may ask are limited by law. From the ADA FAQ referenced upthread...

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A
. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I agree with most of your post the questions the staff may ask are limited by law. From the ADA FAQ referenced upthread...

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A
. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.
The suggestion though is that this situation has got out of control and it really is time for a change in the legislation to better protect those with genuine service animals whilst addressing the problem of those bringing fake service animals.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The suggestion though is that this situation has got out of control and it really is time for a change in the legislation to better protect those with genuine service animals whilst addressing the problem of those bringing fake service animals.
It is time, however, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. If passed, someone will come along and challenge the law because it violates HIPAA. Then an injunction will be put in place where the new law can't be enforced. Then it will drag on through the courts for years and years and the final outcome, potentially at the Supreme Court, could be that it violates the Due Process Clause of the US Constitution. The whole thing is scraped and we are back to where we are today.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is time, however, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. If passed, someone will come along and challenge the law because it violates HIPAA. Then an injunction will be put in place where the new law can't be enforced. Then it will drag on through the courts for years and years and the final outcome, potentially at the Supreme Court, could be that it violates the Due Process Clause of the US Constitution. The whole thing is scraped and we are back to where we are today.
That is probably one good reason why I primarily stay in the European and Asian resorts, where the problem very rarely arises and if it does it gets addressed quickly and effectively.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
God Bless America. :-(

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is probably one good reason why I primarily stay in the European and Asian resorts, where the problem very rarely arises and if it does it gets addressed quickly and effectively.
It happens but it's fairly unusual. Certainly not enough of an issue where it should affect one's vacation choices.