• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Petition to get Hawaii open again. Please sign.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMHO...No matter what anyone believes, a petition like this asking for signatures and money to influence politicians is a political process and doesn't belong on TUG. Please take it to Facebook.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if Hawaii opens up, the global systems will still keep visitors away.

Not to mention, doesn't HI still have the 14-day quarantine in effect for people who arrive from out of state? So, if I were to fly there, would I not have to isolate myself for 14 days? Why would I pay to fly somewhere and then isolate myself for 14 days? Or is this petition asking the powers-that-be to end this requirement so that tourists will not face that incentive to stay away?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
No problem, we would love to break away, shades of The Man in the High Castle!

I just cruised PCH to check the beaches and saw several out of state plates, Wash, AZ and even NY, go home already!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Loved that show. I wish they didn't end it after the last season. It was so good.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
In reading the petition, it sounded like they want stay at home to be lifted for the residents since there have been few cases and deaths in Hawaii. It does not say anything about tourists. I would assume if Hawaii starts to lift the restrictions, they would start for residents first well before welcoming tourists back in.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
But I have ulterior motives for wanting things to loosen up in Hawaii because we are supposed to go to Kauai in June.

The powers that be will not open things up, and we aren't going to Hawaii, if we are not welcome. That is truth. I don't want to be harassed. Who knows if Wyndham will even open the resort in June. They may keep it closed indefinitely.

We have already had to cancel a trip to Europe (Italy for a week and a 12-day Mediterranean cruise). We were supposed to come back today. And we have a trip to Orlando 5/18-5/31 that we are going to cancel. And now Kauai 6/6-6/20. I am bummed, but I understand, too. I have been looking at some great options for coastal FL in August, but Rick has no desire to go anywhere now, with everything like it is. August is so hot in FL. So he told me to book Maui for about 4-5 weeks next year, and I am working on that.

Rick's stepmom will have to join us on Maui for a few weeks. She really wanted to go to Shearwater and kept saying it would be her last Hawaii trip. She wanted to end her trips with Kauai because it was her first experience, and it is her fondest memory of Hawaii. Waking up in the morning to that ocean view 14 years ago was a major highlight of her life. A book in her hand a pina colada on the table next to her, and she was in her happy place. She always tells her friends when she gets back from a Hawaii trip that yesterday she was having Hawaiian coffee on the lanai with an ocean view, and today she is having Folgers on her deck with a view of the neighbor's fence.

She would be bored if we took her for more than 2 weeks. I just have to work out the logistics of getting her on a plane to go back home earlier. She will be almost 93. She cannot maneuver around as much as other people. Our son would have to pick her up at the gate, get her luggage, and bring her home.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In reading the petition, it sounded like they want stay at home to be lifted for the residents since there have been few cases and deaths in Hawaii. It does not say anything about tourists. I would assume if Hawaii starts to lift the restrictions, they would start for residents first well before welcoming tourists back in.
Yeah, absolutely. The powers that be are arresting people for sitting down on the beach. This is a petition by the residents, and I admit it's poorly worded.

Kapolei

Reaction score
IMHO...No matter what anyone believes, a petition like this asking for signatures and money to influence politicians is a political process and doesn't belong on TUG. Please take it to Facebook.

i am not bothered by people discussing influencing policy one way or another If it involves timeshares. I find it annoying when they start to post about particular political parties or politicians. Particularly when they want to bash them. If you are bashing a politician or party, then you are upsetting people aligned with that party or politician. The other thing I find annoying is the attempt to minimize the USA or the people in it. The name of our country implies a basic principle — we are united.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I feel for the people who are out of work. It's hard enough to endure this pandemic without worrying about paying your bills or destroying your savings. But I have to chime in, too, that I don't think us asking Hawaii to open before they're ready is productive. This should be decided on a local level, because it is they who will have to deal with the consequences of allowing people from every corner of the world to invade their homeland.

It's easy for me because no one wants to visit Ohio.

Is that the ghost of Sam Wyche I hear?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I just looked up the data and Hawaii has the lowest death rate in the nation. No wonder the locals want to open up.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this petition is showing the backing of the Hawaiian community.
Please explain why this petition only have 790 signatures?

Kapolei

Reaction score
If this petition is showing the backing of the Hawaiian community.
Please explain why this petition only have 790 signatures?

Here is my best assessment. People are grateful that we have avoided the pandemic. Families and elderly are very important in local culture. People have been very compliant with restrictions and are seeing a benefit. While the future is uncertain, I think there is a consensus that we don't want arrivals to bring the virus here. People are being patient. I expect to see some relaxation of local restrictions soon. Internet petitions have very little weight and people do not care much about them.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I just looked up the data and Hawaii has the lowest death rate in the nation. No wonder the locals want to open up.

Or, alternatively, that is why most are prepared to live with the current restrictions. They see it has had results and they are prepared to wait it out a bit longer, so that they don't end up with the much higher Covid-19 case and death rates that we see in many states in the continental USA.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, alternatively, that is why most are prepared to live with the current restrictions. They see it has had results and they are prepared to wait it out a bit longer, so that they don't end up with the much higher Covid-19 case and death rates that we see in many states in the continental USA.
Sound liked some good thought out planning by someone.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not sure what your point is here. We've known for awhile that the elderly and those with underlying health issues are the most vulnerable. FYI, in Ohio we've had 1056 deaths so far and the median age is 51. We are also beginning to see that men are more likely to die than women.

No one is immune. True the elderly and most likely to die from COVID-19, but those much younger can still get it, and then spread it to others.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
No one is immune. True the elderly and most likely to die from COVID-19, but those much younger can still get it, and then spread it to others.

Yes. I was trying to figure out what Pathways' point was. My only guess is that he thinks that younger people should not be quarantined because they're less likely to get it.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, state and local politicians are elected by voters; That's the way a republic works. But constituents can and do sway their elected officials' votes outside of elections. In fact, our governor, Mike DeWine (R) was an early proponent of stay-at-home orders, in direct opposition to the President, who at the time was still downplaying the virus. Fast forward a few weeks, and DeWine has kowtowed to the far right demonstrators by opening up many businesses earlier than most other states.

Actually I meant literally 'a little bit' as in I agreed with you except the minor point that in some states the governor is making decisions that affect the entire state instead of letting it be decided 'on the local level'. (normally not a bad thing, but in this instance, the issues were affecting the metro areas much differently than the rural areas)

If you attended 'Wine with DeWine' today, DeWine even mentioned that Ohio is a little later opening up than its next door neighbor. And Dr Acton said (before she put me to sleep as she tends to go on and on) that the decisions are going to be made on the county level with the local health departments. Now that is truly deciding 'at the local level' which I support as I believe it helps get the community to buy-in.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yes. I was trying to figure out what Pathways' point was. My only guess is that he thinks that younger people should not be quarantined because they're less likely to get it.

I don't know if they are less likely to get it but they are less likely to have a severe case and die. I know they have done studies on how many people have the antibodies and have never had the virus or thought they had the virus since the symptoms were so mild. I wonder if the did an age group breakdown on that. Perhaps those people who have the antibodies and didn't realize that had the virus are the many younger people have had the virus but were in good health and didn't even know it.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your point is here. We've known for awhile that the elderly and those with underlying health issues are the most vulnerable. FYI, in Ohio we've had 1056 deaths so far and the median age is 51. We are also beginning to see that men are more likely to die than women.

Exactly. The 'median' age is a pretty useless number when describing the deaths. The 'average' age of death is 80.

There still have have only been 22 deaths in Ohio age 50 and below, which compared to the spike in OD deaths is a very very small number. So yes, those high risk segments can/should continue to isolate. The younger group can use new practices and move forward.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thought you might find interesting the statement release by the Mitch Daniels, President of Purdue University:

“Purdue University, for its part, intends to accept students on campus in typical numbers this fall, sober about the certain problems that the COVID-19 virus represents, but determined not to surrender helplessly to those difficulties but to tackle and manage them aggressively and creatively.”

Daniels notes at least 80% of the Purdue community is 35 years old or younger and that “all data to date tell us that the COVID-19 virus, while it transmits rapidly in this age group, poses close to zero lethal threat to them.”

Daniels acknowledges the virus poses a serious health risk to older demographic groups, especially those with underlying health conditions, and the Purdue community includes people who have such health conditions.

He discusses using innovation to ensure learning continues in the most favorable setting for students and the most protective setting for those at high risk. He mentions reduced class sizes, more online instruction and virtual lab work, and using Purdue’s own laboratory for testing students and then quarantining and contact tracing

Daniels says that the shutdown was necessary but has come with real costs. He notes that “a return-to-operations strategy is undergirded by a fundamental conviction that even a phenomenon as menacing as COVID-19 is one of the inevitable risks of life” and that “closing down our entire society … comes at extraordinary costs, as much human as economic, and at some point, clearly before next fall, those will begin to vastly outweigh the benefits of its continuance.”

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you attended 'Wine with DeWine' today, DeWine even mentioned that Ohio is a little later opening up than its next door neighbor.

I actually did attend, as I try to do most days, although I confess that 2pm is a little early for me to start hitting the bottle. And since you also attended, you know that while he did say that Ohio was a little later opening up than its next door neighbor, he mentioned Indiana only as the exception to his larger statement, that Ohio was opening up EARLIER than most of its neighbors.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thought you might find interesting the statement release by the Mitch Daniels, President of Purdue University:

“Purdue University, for its part, intends to accept students on campus in typical numbers this fall, sober about the certain problems that the COVID-19 virus represents, but determined not to surrender helplessly to those difficulties but to tackle and manage them aggressively and creatively.”

I heard this. While I understand his stance, we shall see if it makes any difference. Much is out of his control because he has to sell this idea to the governor, students, parents, and staff. Universities are especially vulnerable right now, IMO:

1) Tuition is so expensive, and many students (or their parents) won't be able to pay those fees now because they've lost their jobs.
2) If a 2nd or 3rd wave comes round, schools may be closed again (at the governor's order) and revert back to virtual learning. As a consumer, do I want to pay full freight up front with this risk looming?
3) Dorms, which are essential for opening, as well as being huge revenue-generators for the university, will also ensure the spread of the virus. It's one thing to expose a 20 year old. It's quite another to have him go to class and infect his professor, go to lunch and infect the cashier, or go back home and infect Grandma at Thanksgiving.
4) The job market for most graduates will remain scarce as long as the virus is disrupting the economy (and its impact may be felt for years beyond that), so there's no rush to get a degree.
5) State funding will dry up as it's diverted to paying record unemployment and crisis management programs.

Obviously, much is unknown at this point, and we will get a lot more data in the next few weeks as broader testing becomes available and as more states open up businesses. IMO, Mr. Daniels' announcement is hopeful, but premature.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard this. While I understand his stance, we shall see if it makes any difference. Much is out of his control because he has to sell this idea to the governor, students, parents, and staff. Universities are especially vulnerable right now, IMO:

So true. He's a great salesman, glad I'm not in the group he's selling to!

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
while he did say that Ohio was a little later opening up than its next door neighbor, he mentioned Indiana only as the exception to his larger statement, that Ohio was opening up EARLIER than most of its neighbors.

Correct. Puts him in a great position to watch what happens from both directions and then pivot if needed.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I happen to think that petitions are very helpful. They allow a person to vent, to feel they are doing something. It is cathartic. That it doesn't actually change political policy (usually) is not the point. It's an outlet and if it helps people FEEL they are being heard, more power to it. I'd much rather see people signing a petition than marching on the steps of the capital.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
In fact, they (younger people) are also as likely as an older person to get very sick. They just have better capacity to survive it. But, to the extent that they are more likely to NOT have symptoms, they are just that much MORE likely to unwittingly spread the infection. We cannot ignore the role of young people in a pandemic, even if they are not the ones dying.