• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Petition to get Hawaii open again. Please sign.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

They ask for money, but you don't have to pay anything to sign the petition. I am sure they do not care about mainlanders much, but I signed it anyway.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club

They ask for money, but you don't have to pay anything to sign the petition. I am sure they do not care about mainlanders much, but I signed it anyway.

Seriously?? Maybe we should just petition the FDA to approve drugs we think we need. We see how good they are on TV after all... And we should be entitled to our vacations too, this being a democracy and all.

This is one of the stupidest voter petitions I have heard about, and I live in San Francisco!! [Sorry rickandcincy23; I know you did not draft this idea and not challenging your right to sign anything you believe in.]

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Our friends on Oahu are suffering because of the lack of tourism.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Even if Hawaii opens up, the global systems will still keep visitors away. Here are just some items.

Airlines reduced to almost zero. Most can’t reach Hawaii without air travel.
Fear. Sadly, people are afraid to be near anyone. Thank you Media.
Money. 30 million unemployed just in the US. That’s a lot of people who can’t afford to vacation.

They have to open up slowly and smartly for it to bear fruit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I feel for the people who are out of work. It's hard enough to endure this pandemic without worrying about paying your bills or destroying your savings. But I have to chime in, too, that I don't think us asking Hawaii to open before they're ready is productive. This should be decided on a local level, because it is they who will have to deal with the consequences of allowing people from every corner of the world to invade their homeland.

It's easy for me because no one wants to visit Ohio.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I feel for the people who are out of work. It's hard enough to endure this pandemic without worrying about paying your bills or destroying your savings. But I have to chime in, too, that I don't think us asking Hawaii to open before they're ready is productive. This should be decided on a local level, because it is they who will have to deal with the consequences of allowing people from every corner of the world to invade their homeland.

Mahalo for defending Governor Ige on keeping the state closed to visitors. On Hawaii Island there were four arrests specific to visitors violating the 14-day travel self-quarantine. This is significant as we have had very few visitors due to the elimination of non-stop flights from the mainland. Of course, these are only the people who were caught.

The state will begin opening some businesses in the next few days, real estate companies, car and truck dealerships, automated service providers, mobile service providers, one-on-one service providers, and all public and private golf courses will soon be able to begin regular operations. It think it is the right approach to get services for residents up and running before opening services that may bring visitors to our islands before the state is ready.

I understand the need for tourism for the local economies to get back to business, but if the locals get sick, there is no business and families will suffer more than they are now.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
This should be decided on a local level, because it is they who will have to deal with the consequences of allowing people from every corner of the world to invade their homeland.

Missing the mark here a little bit. Decided on the local level doesn't mean by the residents who are affected (losing their homes, bankruptcy, hunger), it means the politicians who will only be affected during the next election.

(Can't help myself here: more people died from drug overdoses in the Cincinnati area last weekend than have died from Covid in the entire state of Ohio from day one in the 40 and under age group. And adding the 50 yo and under age group to that and it's not many more - Total - 22)

The state will begin opening some businesses in the next few days, real estate companies, car and truck dealerships, automated service providers, mobile service providers, one-on-one service providers, and all public and private golf courses will soon be able to begin regular operations.

Might as well open them all now. They are not going to have many customers anyway. Sort of an 'automatic' social distancing result.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are so many incorrect statements in that article and holes in their reasoning

Not sure I buy the 80 Degree heat paragraph, with you there. What of the statistics quoted are incorrect?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not sure I buy the 80 Degree heat paragraph, with you there. What of the statistics quoted are incorrect?
I wasn't speaking to any of the statistics. I was objecting to the statement about quarantining those over 70. That assumes everyone over 70 is infected and that those under 70 are not in any danger.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't speaking to any of the statistics. I was objecting to the statement about quarantining those over 70. That assumes everyone over 70 is infected and that those under 70 are not in any danger.

Got it. 70 is kinda pushing it. There are a number of high level academia pushing the '50 and under' number. There are very few deaths statistically from age 50 and lower unless they have preexisting conditions. They say let anyone under 50 get back to work. All those who choose can still self isolate.

The rest of the country will begin opening up this weekend. Malls in many states. People will continue to die from this, but the hope is at a lower daily rate.
HI is dreaming if they think they will keep this out, unless they plan to keep the state closed for the next 12 months. If they do that, I shudder to think of the deaths they will deal with from collateral causes.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The rest of the country will begin opening up this weekend.
Not all of it. My state has a stay in place through May 15. I don't think, we're the only one. In fact by doing some checking, we're not.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not all of it. My state has a stay in place through May 15. I don't think, we're the only one. In fact by doing some checking, we're not

Correct. Definitely not all of it. The beginning will be slow of course. Simon Malls says 10 states, 49 malls this weekend. Can't imagine they will have much business. but who knows.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Cindy,

I signed and I donated a few bucks -- I don't know if any of this makes a difference, but I do hope that Hawaii (and San Diego, and ....others!!) open sooner rather than later. The world is different now -- masks/social distancing/isolation -- and I am hopeful that we don't destroy the economy too. Fingers crossed!

Best,

Greg

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Our friends on Oahu are suffering because of the lack of tourism.

Wow, there are alot of people suffering because of this virus. Some have lost jobs, some have businesses that are going broke, some can't pay their bills, some are or were very ill, others have died or had loved ones that died. The only thing that we all can agree on is that we all want this virus to be over. However, that is NOT going to happen tomorrow.

The extremes to moving forward go from: Keep things closed until milestones and testing can reach a certain level which may be impossible to reach for a very long time, to open up everything tomorrow. Luckily, our leaders are not taking either one of these extremes paths. The leaders in Hawaii need to be move forward keeping the safety and health of the people and visitors in mind as well as the economy. Taking one of these extremes is not going to be taken nor worth discussing.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

LOL, Amen!

I left there almost 50 years ago, never wanting to return.

Springfield South High Wildcats, Class of ‘72. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score

Why? They don't want us there. I'll stay in the US along with my vacation dollars and they can open all that industry they think they will be profitable with. LOL

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This large group of petition signers that are on Oahu are marching on the capitol in Honolulu Hawaii depends on tourism. Other states don't depend on it as much, but there are other states that are hurting, too. SC, FL, CA, AZ, MO, MA, many others, and even Colorado, my home state, needs to fill the hotels and the resorts in the mountains and elsewhere. That is why Governor Jared Polis opened things up in a careful and slow fashion, and good for him. I usually am not a fan of his, but I sure am becoming a fan.

Hotel taxes bring in a lot of revenue, and so do visitors with deep pockets (I am not one of the deep pocket spenders, but I do my share of enjoying attractions and restaurants during our travels).

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Why? They don't want us there. I'll stay in the US along with my vacation dollars and they can open all that industry they think they will be profitable with. LOL
Not sure if you knew, but last I checked Hawaii is in the US. ;)

Kurt

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

You'll stay in the U.S.? Did Hawaii leave the Union?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This large group of petition signers that are on Oahu are marching on the capitol in Honolulu Hawaii depends on tourism. Other states don't depend on it as much, but there are other states that are hurting, too. SC, FL, CA, AZ, MO, MA, many others, and even Colorado, my home state, needs to fill the hotels and the resorts in the mountains and elsewhere. That is why Governor Jared Polis opened things up in a careful and slow fashion, and good for him. I usually am not a fan of his, but I sure am becoming a fan.

Hotel taxes bring in a lot of revenue, and so do visitors with deep pockets (I am not one of the deep pocket spenders, but I do my share of enjoying attractions and restaurants during our travels).
Yes Cindy, other states are hurting. New Mexico cancelled all of the major events this summer. This will hurt us very badly as well as hurt all of the merchants and vendors who participate. For the International Folk Art Market some of those people make more in that three day period that they do the rest of the year.

Last edited:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

Yes, hotel taxes bring in revenue as do visitors who spend here. But again I will state that if the hotels open and the staff needed to support the opening get ill and pass it to their family, this state will never recover. We had an outbreak of one employee at McDonalds in Kona and it spread quickly to 32 people which were employees or family members of employees.

As to Colorado, we have a neighbor who has home both here and in Vail. He came here in December and is not leaving due to the outbreaks in Colorado. His plan is to go back possibly in July. All of our other neighbors who have homes in Europe and the mainland, have also decided to stay put and not travel. The state is safe now but will not be once tourism begins again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If it were my call, I wouldn't open Hawaii until they can screen visitors before they even get on the airplane.

This is why:
Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 3.56.32 PM.png

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hey, I visit Ohio! A friend in Cincinnati, a friend in Hilliard, a sister in Akron, and many friends in Cleveland. :D

Ohio has the best Amusement parks in the world.

I wouldn't mind some criteria before being allowed to fly to Hawaii. If somehow it were possible to know that I bring with me no risk, what's the argument against?