• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pet Friendly [MERGED]

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
It wasn't really that they got fed up, they took advantage of a rule change by the Department of Transportation which stopped considering emotional support animals as service animals. So previously, the airlines didn't have a choice.

Thanks for clarification and education dioxide45. No wonder few know the difference between the two categories.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Well. So much for policies. I walked out on my balcony this evening at Kauai's Marriott Waiohai and saw a man walk out on his balcony being trailed by a small dog (who seemed to have no particular function as a service animal would). Just reporting.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well. So much for policies. I walked out on my balcony this evening at Kauai's Marriott Waiohai and saw a man walk out on his balcony being trailed by a small dog (who seemed to have no particular function as a service animal would). Just reporting.
You can’t tell from looking at a dog on a balcony whether it has a service function, I have been trained for ADA at my job. There are so many types of service animals - psychiatric, epilepsy, diabetic, sleep apnea, in addition to obvious ones like seeing eye, mobility, etc. Many people are short sighted and assume if they can’t see the animal performing the function that it can’t be service. And many think only big dogs are service. Small dogs are used more often for epilepsy, psychiatric, etc. because they are easier to bring to work or travel with. Not saying there aren’t those that fake service dogs - just saying you can’t stereotype or make generalizations. That’s like saying if you can’t see a person’s handicap or disability that they don’t have one.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, my remarks are only intended for the Marriott timeshare resorts which we own, and the enforcement of their current policies.
Timeshare resort owners who have invested tens of thousands of dollars do not deserve premeditated ILLEGAL visits by other guests
who brought their pets or emotional support animals, both of which are prohibited NOW at Hilton Head Marriott resorts (and others).
I am not referring to service animals.
These people know they are using loopholes in violating the spirit and intent of the policies, and still they do not care.
It's the height of selfishness, period.

So please enjoy going where your pets are welcome, but not where they are legally prohibited.
When speaking of our timeshares, it's true real estate which my family owns, and they operate under certain laws already long established,
including the phraseology in the deeded documents that "pets are prohibited".
Therefore we do not want pets there, simple as that. We leave ours at home, as we are required to.
We don't care how clean you believe they are......do with them what you like........
we simply do not want them there while we and other owners are enjoying hard-earned vacations with their children.

And no, it's not dogs WALKING on the road near me that appalls me, it's what they do WHILE they are walking.
Sorry you missed that point.
They may be cleaner than other people as you suggest (your opinion), but I don't see people defecating on the roads
and paths, do you? And invariably it's seldom cleaned up....only by a few. Unfortunately we're witnesses to that fact.
Actually - on three vacations we have seen young children defecating in the pool. The pools were closed for 36 plus hours for the cleaning procedure and inspection - leaving the whole resort with just one pool. Wonder if Marriott charged the parents a cleaning fee for that? It certainly inconvenienced the guests.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can’t tell from looking at a dog on a balcony whether it has a service function, I have been trained for ADA at my job. There are so many types of service animals - psychiatric, epilepsy, diabetic, sleep apnea, in addition to obvious ones like seeing eye, mobility, etc. Many people are short sighted and assume if they can’t see the animal performing the function that it can’t be service. And many think only big dogs are service. Small dogs are used more often for epilepsy, psychiatric, etc. because they are easier to bring to work or travel with. Not saying there aren’t those that fake service dogs - just saying you can’t stereotype or make generalizations. That’s like saying if you can’t see a person’s handicap or disability that they don’t have one.
I totally agree. I have seen a ‘small’ service dog save a child from an instant diabetic attack. Many of these dogs are a godsend to many and cost the person 35,000+ to obtain.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Actually - on three vacations we have seen young children defecating in the pool. The pools were closed for 36 plus hours for the cleaning procedure and inspection - leaving the whole resort with just one pool. Wonder if Marriott charged the parents a cleaning fee for that? It certainly inconvenienced the guests.

OMG. Really? Babies/toddlers versus ILLEGAL pets? Good luck with that argument.

Once again I'm NOT talking about service animals---- I'm trying to rid our resorts of ILLEGAL pets,
where the policy already stands that they are not allowed. If you want to go somewhere that allows all pets, that's wonderful.
There's a HUGE contingent of owners who do NOT want pets sharing the resort, especially the villas and immediate grounds where children are.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids at the resort are an obligate component, pets are not, so the argument that the toddler does more damage is irrelevant and likely untrue anyway statistically. I'm sure we all know there are legitimate service animals and that you can't always tell which ones are but you can often reliably tell which ones are not for a subset of them. IMO it's become a case of the tail wagging the dog which is why I feel the time has come to require registration, documentation and the requirement to present same. Just ignoring the issue hoping it will go way is stupid, it's only getting worse and will continue to do so. So the resorts need to start asking the questions they can ask and requiring the animals to leave that meet the criteria to do so. They also need to be aggressive with signage, emails and other documentation including possibly something to sign at check in to sign that says no pets and the consequences just like they do with smoking.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG. Really? Babies/toddlers versus ILLEGAL pets? Good luck with that argument.

Once again I'm NOT talking about service animals---- I'm trying to rid our resorts of ILLEGAL pets,
where the policy already stands that they are not allowed. If you want to go somewhere that allows all pets, that's wonderful.
There's a HUGE contingent of owners who do NOT want pets sharing the resort, especially the villas and immediate grounds where children are.
The only positive comments have been for for dogs that perform a medical assistance. And, personally, many feel like they can make that determination by, obviously, their own personal observation. I think this thread has gotten into dangerous territory.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The only positive comments have been for for dogs that perform a medical assistance. And, personally, many feel like they can make that determination by, obviously, their own personal observation. I think this thread has gotten into dangerous territory.

Personal observation can be a powerful thing. Sometimes it identifies the problem. So who is the villain?
So, let's do what seems to be the inevitable solution-----get a process whereby legitimate service animals are documented
and illegal pets are not,
and resorts can verify the authentic ones at reservation time (when they are announced and registered) and again at check-in.
Then the cheating and abuse would actually STOP (oh my gosh, say it isn't so!).

When authorities are NOT ALLOWED to ask for or seek documentation, then abuse naturally follows.

I'm assuming you would be for that, ie, a universal system for actual documentation?
(But then, the selfish who wish to bring their pets wouldn't be able to slip in--- so you'd be against that?)

"Trust but verify".......quite a wise saying......

("So, sir, you've taken and passed a test, and you are qualified to drive a vehicle? May I see your Driver's License?"
sound familiar? It works.)

Last edited:

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personal observation can be a powerful thing. Sometimes it identifies the problem. So who is the villain?
So, let's do what seems to be the inevitable solution-----get a process whereby legitimate service animals are documented
and illegal pets are not,
and resorts can verify the authentic ones at reservation time (when they are announced and registered) and again at check-in.
Then the cheating and abuse would actually STOP (oh my gosh, say it isn't so!).

When authorities are NOT ALLOWED to ask for or seek documentation, then abuse naturally follows.

I'm assuming you would be for that, ie, a universal system for actual documentation?
(But then, the selfish who wish to bring their pets wouldn't be able to slip in--- so you'd be against that?)

"Trust but verify".......quite a wise saying......

("So, sir, you've taken and passed a test, and you are qualified to drive a vehicle? May I see your Driver's License?"
sound familiar? It works.)
Your comments would be better written to your Congressperson to amend the American for Disability Act.

Reactions: jme

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
That happens all the time at neighborhood pools. It's expected and just part of having a pool that includes babies and kids. Sure it is an inconvenience, but the poop doesn't stay for entire week like dogs/cats or whatever else is brought to the resort against the regulation. Let's have some common sense.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's expected?
What...kids defecating in a pool?
Regardless of what your views are on pets, kids should not be defecating in pools.
They should be in diapers....

INNER PEACE

If you can
start the day without caffeine

If you can
always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can
resist complaining and boring people with your
troubles,

If you can
eat the same food every day and be grateful for
it,

If you can
understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any
time,

If you can
take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can
conquer tension without medical help,

If you can
relax without alcohol,

If you can
sleep without the aid of drugs,

Then You Are
Probably

The Family
Dog
Handle every
Stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Piss on it
and walk away.​

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
I have five cats, that I would love to have travel with me to Kauai etc.! But I pay my favorite pet sitter to care for them while I enjoy the warm sands of Hawaii!! I don't want pets in and out of the villas I stay out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Agree 100%. I have two cats that I love to have around me but they would absolutely hate travel. They are best left at home where they are most comfortable. I am always happy to see them when I go home.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's expected?
What...kids defecating in a pool?
Regardless of what your views are on pets, kids should not be defecating in pools.
They should be in diapers....
It happens all the time. I don't like it either, but accidents happen. I would say that it happens more often in neighborhood pools than at timeshares, but it happens at least 10-15 times each summer across our three community pools. Swimmer diapers aren't foolproof and with hundreds of people. Unfortunately it is expected to happen every year.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake

The organisation that supplied my service dog provides dogs of all sizes and breeds. One such dog is a very small cross breed and without her identification jacket on I suspect many people would not guess that she was a service dog.

When my dog travels with me she doesn't wear her jacket in the room just as she doesn't when at home, it's only worn when outside in public and when not exercising. If you were to pass my balcony and saw her she would most likely not be wearing her jacket and as such you'd have no way of establishing that she is a service dog.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Jackets are not required for Service Animals. And unfortunately they are available on the Internet for anyone to buy.

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Aruba - Divi Village (1 fixed week) and The Links (2 fixed weeks); Disney Vacation Club (Points) Home Resort - BoardWalk Villas, and Bluegreen - (Points).
DH and I are currently at MFV with my service dog. I copied this from my post ("Live from ...")

"This is no way was Marriott's fault as there are limitations under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) about questions that a business can ask a person about their service dog.

I had a bit of an incident yesterday afternoon while out walking with my service dog. My dog wears his "Service Dog" harness and is on leash when we are in public and he is working.

It was beautiful day and we were taking a walk around the property. As we neared the firepit area a dog started barking and growling at us. As he is trained, my dog ignored the distraction and we kept walking. The barking dog was being held by a person sitting around the fire pit. Next thing I know the dog charges us, barking, growling and trying to bite me and or my dog. My dog ignored the distraction and we tried to keep walking but the other dog kept circling us.

The owner kept calling the dog's name and telling it to stop. The dog ignored both commands ... obviously not a trained service animal. Perhaps an emotional support animal which is not covered by the ADA. The owner tried to catch the dog and finally did. The owner said it has escaped its harness and they were sorry.

I was so shaken I didn't respond but kept walking.

I didn't report the issue to the front desk as I don't think there is anything they could have done about the situation.

People who have dogs that aren't well-mannered, under control and, most importantly, well trained do not have the rights I am afforded under the ADA.

Please let us all be respectful of each other."

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
DisneyJen, I am so sorry this happened to you! But I encourage you to report it. Bringing an obviously-not service animal on property is in clear violation of the rules, and those selfish guests should be asked to leave, if not barred from future stays.

I’ll also mention this incidence in my notes to the staff (I’ve been on property during so much of the recent renovations, that I’ve taken to emailing punch lists and other feedback every time we check out).

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
People who have dogs that aren't well-mannered, under control and, most importantly, well trained do not have the rights I am afforded under the ADA.

Even people who have dogs that ARE well-mannered, under control, and well-trained have no right to bring them in, in clear violation of rules. I’m beyond appalled at such self-centeredness.

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Aruba - Divi Village (1 fixed week) and The Links (2 fixed weeks); Disney Vacation Club (Points) Home Resort - BoardWalk Villas, and Bluegreen - (Points).
It
Even people who have dogs that ARE well-mannered, under control, and well-trained have no right to bring them in, in clear violation of rules. I’m beyond appalled at such self-centeredness.

I agree Fi2. As others have posted, pets are happier in their home while their owners are away.

Service dogs have been trained from a young age to ignore distractions and bond to their human. My service dog will bark and paw at my DH to let him know that he (the dog) can't see me.

aliciarooke

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
bluegreen
From what I read here, this is not indicative of what happens in the real world.
Dogs are everywhere in society and if you travel to hotels that allow pets you would see
how many dogs actually stay at hotels that allow them.

It would not be a question of one floor in one building.
If one entire building was dedicated to pets at a location such as Hilton Head for example,
that building would always be full and probably have a waiting list some weeks.

People that own at the other Marriott timeshares would be eager to trade into it.
The pet industry did not become an 80 billion dollar industry for nothing...

Change is very difficult regardless of the situation.
I am not saying it will happen anytime soon.
But if a timeshare that was not doing particularly well wanted to try it, they may see their fortunes change.

Let's face reality--most timeshares today have a 0 value.
When you can rent a unit most places easily for what the maintenance fees are, why bother owning?

I saw a Marriott Surfwatch 2 BR Oceanside Platinum week going for almost nothing on ebay.
The only reason I didn't bid is that I have no trouble renting additional Hilton Head weeks every year.
There is no shortage and the price is usually the same as the maintenance fee, and I always get the exact weeks I want.

When owners start having difficulty renting the units, or owners have trouble paying the rising maintenance fees,
or start getting older and can no longer travel, than change will happen.

I agree but even a step further, why not have a designated doggy daycare to pay for nearby to give owners a break and ease of mind while touring around on the beach or attraction at hand.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, it's more than merely being concerned about dogs that are not service animals. I tend to break out with hives all over me when I am in an area where dogs have been inside. I know Marriott cleans rooms of course, but you can't remove 100% and they may not even know a pet was there. So, for true service animals, if indeed one stayed in the room before me and I got the horrible hives, I will suffer as I feel that's an inconvenience vs someone who really needed the animal to perhaps live or some other very important reason. I would never complain about that. If however it was not a service animal, and was merely a pet, it ruins virtually the entire trip as there's few ways to get rid of hives. While one can get a steroid shot, if I continue to be exposed, it's tough to get rid of. Embarrased to go out, can't stand the 24/7 itching, super uncomfortable. For those people, I don't have nice things to say so I won't.

There needs to be a good way to ban pets. (Clarifying to mean where they are not permitted).

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I agree Fi2. As others have posted, pets are happier in their home while their owners are away.

While I agree that pets should not be taken to timeshares or other accommodations that do not allow them, it’s by no means universally true that pets are happier at home while their owners are away.

Our dogs are part of our family. They travel very well. They absolutely are happier traveling with us than they are being left behind. We are absolutely happier having them with us than we are leaving them behind. Which is not to say that we don’t leave them behind.

Theres several repeat refrains on TUG that are completely untrue:
1. Dogs that travel are annoying. Nope, mine are not allowed to misbehave in public (or in private!). They are seasoned travellers. Love their crates.
2. People who travel with dogs are too cheap to board them or arrange for a pet sitter. Nope, I’m a veterinarian and can leave them at my clinic for very low cost. Yet I’d still rather travel with them if possible.
3. People who travel with dogs have a pathological attachment to their pets. Nope, some of us just have dogs that are a real pleasure to be around.

Again, I’m totally on board with the concept that we all should follow the rules. If the TS does not allow pets, then pets shouldn’t be there. All of the other justifications for pets not being at the timeshare (like “the dog would be happier at home”) are simply unnecessary.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking to go to Four Seasons Aviara.
Funny thing....dogs are allowed.