• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pet Friendly [MERGED]

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Is there anybody else who would like to take their dog to a Marriott resort? We agree with the sign at one of the (non—Marriott) resorts we have been to that said “Dogs are generally more respectful to our property than people”. We would really like to start a movement to ask Marriott to have at least some dog-friendly units. Interested? Please contact me at hkjudy at Gmail dot com.
The problem is the dogs aren't in control, the people are. Look at all the fake ADA dogs on planes (as well as horses, cats and chinchillas) taking advantage of the truly needy, and the "I'm important and what I want is all that matters" folks. The disrespectful types will let their dogs pee and poo in the room and blame someone else.

Nope, not a precedent I want to see at MVC resorts. And we have two dogs and two cats... My prediction is your movement won't move much here.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
Is there anybody else who would like to take their dog to a Marriott resort? We agree with the sign at one of the (non—Marriott) resorts we have been to that said “Dogs are generally more respectful to our property than people”. We would really like to start a movement to ask Marriott to have at least some dog-friendly units. Interested? Please contact me at hkjudy at Gmail dot com.
Not interested in me or anyone else having a dog at any Marriott resort or on a plane I may be flying on to get there.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have five cats, that I would love to have travel with me to Kauai etc.! But I pay my favorite pet sitter to care for them while I enjoy the warm sands of Hawaii!! I don't want pets in and out of the villas I stay out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a thread not too far down on this forum about the amount of fake service dogs, etc at the resorts. I love my dogs, and I have to pay a person to stay in my home when I am away because one of my dogs has separation anxiety. As much as I would love to bring them if it were an extended stay, I wouldn’t put them through the plane trip for a week. And I have a noisy neighbor at home that constantly has a barking dog, I don’t really want that on vacation too, sorry.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pets are not allowed at any MVC resorts.
As Owners, we all agreed to this when we signed up to buy our weeks or points.
We should all accept and respect this rule.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I totally agree. For many people it’s not a question of whether or not they like dogs, but a health issue. My Hubble is really allergic to dogs (I knew when I married him it’d be a choice of a dog or him, and so far he’s won out); seriously, for some people there’s no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog, and the animal dander in the room would make for a miserable vacation.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We own one resort in Breckenridge specifically because it allows dogs and yes, I would not mind if MVC allowed dogs, even though it’s unlikely we would take ours secondary to the hassle of flying with pets.

in general, there are few issues at the resort we own which allows dogs. Of course there are a few pet owners that do t respect the rules, but those are likely the same people who disregard other rules.

It is highly unlikely MVC will ever allow pets, and I’m fine with this rule. There is likely many more that own MVC at this point t because they don’t allow pets than owners who would like to take their pets.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only would I not want pets at the resorts but I feel they need to be far more aggressive in preventing the ones that sneak in now. I'm not opposed to having specific units for pets but with weeks, points, view types, unit sizes, etc; it'd be almost impossible at many Marriott's to have designated units. Other timeshares have tried or explored the option but realized it's not very popular and extremely difficult to do in general. In addition, the info I've seen suggests that rentals with pets are far more expensive to maintain, I see no reason to think it'd be otherwise for a timeshare.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
As much as I love dogs, especially our family dogs, I, too would say no. It's not so much the dogs that I object to, but like davidvel said, it's dog owners. It only takes one irresponsible dog owner to wreck someone's vacation. If just one owner was gone (i.e. at a theme park) all day, the dog would be alone in the villa, probably barking anxiously at every sound they heard.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you want your dog to go through that?

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Some times I have to stay at Towneplace suite. I can immediately tell if a dog has been in the room. I'm not interested in that for our timeshare investment. Our daughter inlaw is so allergic to dogs, she gets hives just going to a home that has dogs-even if the dogs aren't there. I don't think it would be that bad in a timeshare, but there is no way they could clean them enough. I love dogs, have had dogs, but not on vacation.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My former DIL was highly allergic to Cats and Dogs. She had to carry a couple of Auto-injectors at all times. Once we got them a Studio in WM at Seaside Oregon. Within a couple of minutes of getting in the Room she started to have a reaction and had to flee the Room. They went to the Front Desk to complain. Their recorded not show that a "Legal Declared Pet (Assistance Animal)" had ever been in the Room. They were able to find them another Studio.

Once when we were at Seaside a Condo down the hall had a declared "Assistance Animal Dog" that they left in the Unit for hours and it would Bark forever. Patti decided next time that happened she was going to call 911 reasoning that there must be an emergency if the dog is barking forever.

We did see how they cleaned a Unit after an Assistance Animl was in a Unit. They removed all the furniture for cleaning and thoroughly cleaned the Unit from ceiling, down the wall, the floor, and all the cabinets in the kitchen.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me add that extremely few timeshares allow pets and frequently condo's with short term rentals only allow them for owners but not renters. Sometimes people try to talk about "how much money the timeshare companies could make" but if that were true you'd see some go that route so I doubt it's true. Maybe those that want it could ante up $1000 per year per membership for the option. Then if enough sign up as a preregistration, it might be workable then.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Consider all the joy you would be taking away from your pet when you walk in the door coming home from vacation.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On my last visit to Ko-Olina, there was a couple there with a small dog. No attempt to masquerade as a service animal, though I'm certain that's how it was able to be there. Once, when it was frantically barking at me, it was all I could do not to say -- "That must be such a comfort for you."

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Let me add that extremely few timeshares allow pets and frequently condo's with short term rentals only allow them for owners but not renters. Sometimes people try to talk about "how much money the timeshare companies could make" but if that were true you'd see some go that route so I doubt it's true. Maybe those that want it could ante up $1000 per year per membership for the option. Then if enough sign up as a preregistration, it might be workable then.
Just like with taking pets on aircraft, people will figure out a way to avoid the fee. People don't want to pay more to take their pet, they want to take their pet for free and have the associated costs spread across all the owners.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just like with taking pets on aircraft, people will figure out a way to avoid the fee. People don't want to pay more to take their pet, they want to take their pet for free and have the associated costs spread across all the owners.
If you're saying it's a lost cause then I don't agree though it may be an uphill battle. As in anything else rules are there to keep relatively honest people honest, dishonest people will always try to find a way around what ever rule is in question. But they are by definition, dishonest. My point about the additional fees was related to the OP about wanting to start a movement and I'd say sure, pony up the money if it's important.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is fun. The answer is NO. I almost wonder if OP just did this to incite a riot.

I think the best place to take dogs are places that are dog friendly. Near me, I can rent a cabin, go to the beach, or stay in a National Park and camp with a dog. Those are good options. I don't own a dog, but my son does, and traveling with the dog is a huge pain in the neck for him.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Threads merged.] <-- SueDonJ

This has to be a joke, right?

sign at one of the (non—Marriott) resorts we have been to that said “Dogs are generally more respectful to our property than people

This has to be one of the signs that 'Dr Rick' throws into the trash can in a Progressive commercial.