• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

People fleeing hot spots to their summer homes

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
(We wiped down all grocery with lysol wipes and washed all our fruits and vegetables too with soap and water).

How did the mushrooms, onions, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, and celery do?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
People need to stop thinking only about themselves and what their rights are. Individual actions affect all of us.

Most respectfully as well. It's been said that the rights of every person are diminished when the rights of one person are threatened. We all have a right to choose and to take away a person's freedom of choice, even his freedom to make the wrong choice, is to manipulate him as though he were a puppet and not a person.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
WVBaker: Your comment is both respectful and fair.

One of the central tenets of democracy is adherence to the rule of law. The opposite in anarchy.

As individuals in a democracy we are not completely free to do whatever we wish. I have a tendency to drive fast, but we have laws against that because my driving too fast causes a risk to others. Where exactly the balance lies between the exercise of individual freedoms and the protection of the public is a balancing act managed by our legislators. Different jurisdictions make different choices as illustrated by the distinct difference in gun laws between Canada and the USA.

This relates to the management of the spread of this virus. If public health officials direct people to self isolate/quarantine themselves for a certain period, that is what they are required to do pursuant the relevant public health statutes in their jurisdiction.

Where does this balance lie? We see different answers to that question in different jurisdictions. The Outer Banks in NC were closed to outside visitors by order of their Governor (easier to enforce with one road in and out). POTUS wants everything open by Easter. Different public officials may chose to exercise their powers differently.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I saw friends of ours that live in Naples post on Facebook that they ran into a couple yesterday that had just flown in from NY. She heard them tell a cashier yes, for sure we will self quarantine right after we grocery shop, see some of the sites and get food from a few of our favorite take out places...

Ugh, I get so frustrated when I read stuff like this because its like these people feel this self quarantine does not apply to them especially if they are just flying in at RSW from NY the epicenter...

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did the mushrooms, onions, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, and celery do?

I am not sure if you are asking seriously, funny way or sarcastic........really hard to tell from reading posts/texts etc. unfortunately.

I will play/answer.

We buy what we normally buy - and will buy more or less what we can wash and try our best to wash most of it/what we can. All we can do is try. If someone just coughed or sneezed, blew their nose, before entering the store, they might be touching apples, squeezing produce, etc. as they normally would. This is just a little preventive measure.

We don't eat cabbage -
Onions - have the skins that one does not eat
Lettuce/mushrooms in package - so yes, we washed the package - we also take skin off mushrooms - normally we just wipe with a paper towel
Celery - we also buy in bag - but open on one end. Yes, it can be washed, drain and wrap with paper towels - put in refrigerator.

Some other sample vegetables we bought - eggplants, zucchini, peppers - yes we washed
Bananas, cantaloupes, apples, pears - tangerine bag - opened it and yes we washed

Can this be done 100% - No - do I have a choice of what I want to buy and feel comfortable with buying - Yes

This is what we do - BUT

If anyone has any additional tips - something we are not doing - we will give it a shot. Again, all we can do is try. :)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
WVBaker: Your comment is both respectful and fair.

One of the central tenets of democracy is adherence to the rule of law. The opposite in anarchy.

As individuals in a democracy we are not completely free to do whatever we wish. I have a tendency to drive fast, but we have laws against that because my driving too fast causes a risk to others. Where exactly the balance lies between the exercise of individual freedoms and the protection of the public is a balancing act managed by our legislators. Different jurisdictions make different choices as illustrated by the distinct difference in gun laws between Canada and the USA.

This relates to the management of the spread of this virus. If public health officials direct people to self isolate/quarantine themselves for a certain period, that is what they are required to do pursuant the relevant public health statutes in their jurisdiction.

Where does this balance lie? We see different answers to that question in different jurisdictions. The Outer Banks in NC were closed to outside visitors by order of their Governor (easier to enforce with one road in and out). POTUS wants everything open by Easter. Different public officials may chose to exercise their powers differently.

Here's one very interesting issue with blanket shelter in place orders. :ponder:

Think for just a moment about all of those that are deemed "essential" employees. We expect or require that these individuals report to work each day, while others, for the good of society, remain sheltered in their homes. Even those who may work for a business that has not been determined to be essential, but does remain open, in disregard for any "order". And there are those that do. As you can read, some have said they will call and report these individuals to the various authorities. One must assume this is done based solely on sight because, they're certainly not going to approach that person and demand to know why they're not "sheltered in place". Do we expect all those "essential" employees to report to work and then when the end of the day comes, go home and remain there. You know, for the good of society.

Where does this balance lie? We expect these people to leave their house, report to work, service our needs and when the day is over, go home and stay there, for the good of society. We no longer need you or your help so, go home.

Brett

Reaction score
Here's one very interesting issue with blanket shelter in place orders. :ponder:

Think for just a moment about all of those that are deemed "essential" employees. We expect or require that these individuals report to work each day, while others, for the good of society, remain sheltered in their homes. Even those who may work for a business that has not been determined to be essential, but does remain open, in disregard for any "order". And there are those that do. As you can read, some have said they will call and report these individuals to the various authorities. One must assume this is done based solely on sight because, they're certainly not going to approach that person and demand to know why they're not "sheltered in place". Do we expect all those "essential" employees to report to work and then when the end of the day comes, go home and remain there. You know, for the good of society.

Where does this balance lie? We expect these people to leave their house, report to work, service our needs and when the day is over, go home and stay there, for the good of society. We no longer need you or your help so, go home.

We expect those essential employees to behave like everyone else - buy groceries, go to the drug store, Home Depot, etc. then go home and stay home .... until the next day

Last edited:

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages

Where I live that is exactly what is happening. All food and beverage establishments are closed except for take out (order and paid online or phone - you pick-up and they put the food in your trunk). The shopping mall is closed.

It is killing my business. We are bleeding $21K per week.

I support what our public health officials are doing. If they have overestimated our required response, there will be substantial unnecessary economic damage.

If we underestimate the required response, thousands of people will unnecessarily die.

The balance is me vs us. All societies and people differ in culture and attitude resulting in different answers to the balance. In this situation, I think tthe best outcome for me is to think about us.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We expect those essential employees to behave like everyone else - buy groceries, go to the drug store, Home Depot, etc. then go home and stay home .... until the next day
And i am, after work i go directly home and sleep. Then take care of things at home eat lunch do some yard work. On the way back to essential work i fill up gas, may stop for a few groceries and report to work. Rinse repeat, all week. I did this for weeks before the Governor shut down the state for the next three weeks. This is what reasonable grown men do to help the country and there fellow man/woman out.

Brett

Reaction score
And i am, after work i go directly home and sleep. Then take care of things at home eat lunch do some yard work. On the way back to essential work i fill up gas, may stop for a few groceries and report to work. Rinse repeat, all week. I did this for weeks before the Governor shut down the state for the next three weeks. This is what reasonable grown men do to help the country and there fellow man/woman out.

good, the Guv'nor commends your patriotic essential service duty to the country

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is also what many grown Women are doing every day. Most nurses are female. We should not overlook them.
Of course, i was speaking for myself, my Daughter is a nursed aid to home bound seniors.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would actually prefer the hospitals/fire (any one who comes in contact with a lot of the public) put them up in empty hotels for the time being. Make it safer for everyone.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would actually prefer the hospitals/fire (any one who comes in contact with a lot of the public) put them up in empty hotels for the time being. Make it safer for everyone.
That felt like a kick in the stomach. Do I understand correctly that you would like essential employees to do their job in the midst of this health crisis and then, instead of going home to the comfort of their home and family, they can go stay in a hotel room.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
right now, sadly, I expect that many drs and nurses might prefer that to the risk of infecting their family.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That felt like a kick in the stomach. Do I understand correctly that you would like essential employees to do their job in the midst of this health crisis and then, instead of going home to the comfort of their home and family, they can go stay in a hotel room.

Yes or at least give them the option. I would not want to infect my family if I was in that situation. Have a shuttle bus pick them up and drop them off. Supply them with food.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I wanted to go to our place up in the mountains but they closed fishing , National Parks and all of the State Land until mid April. I get it, they want me to stay home.

I did go to the County Waste Disposal area to toss out a load of yard waste and was actually scolded by the lady at the scales for being non-essential. Even though there was only a few dozen people out there unloading yard waste she was right that it was not essential. I get it, they want me to stay home.

The hardest part of being told to stay home is the staying part, but here I are, rrrrr.

Bill

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We live at the southern edge of 'cottage country' north of Toronto. Many people from Toronto are fleeing up to their cottages or ski chalets, which in many cases are 4 season homes, to wait out the shelter in place or their quarantine. The mayors of the small towns up here are pleading with people to stay away as the small town hospitals can not handle the possible influx of sick people and they don't want possible infected people shopping in local stores and spreading the virus to the locals.
It is believed that a resident's family from Toronto came to visit this cottage country nursing home and caused this outbreak. https://www.cp24.com/news/two-resid...-of-covid-19-16-staff-test-positive-1.4870658 The sister of a woman I worked with is one of the staff members testing positive with only minor symptoms so far.

~Diane

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Brother is in the opposite situation. He is currently winding up a couple of months at his Florida home and is debating whether to return to his primary residence in rural Pennsylvania...

George

geekette

Reaction score
I wanted to go to our place up in the mountains but they closed fishing , National Parks and all of the State Land until mid April. I get it, they want me to stay home.

I did go to the County Waste Disposal area to toss out a load of yard waste and was actually scolded by the lady at the scales for being non-essential. Even though there was only a few dozen people out there unloading yard waste she was right that it was not essential. I get it, they want me to stay home.

The hardest part of being told to stay home is the staying part, but here I are, rrrrr.

Bill
We were advised somewhat over a week ago to report non-compliance.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our county has been relatively untouched by the virus. However, a neighboring county is ravaged- and is under harsh 'lock-down' orders. So they pile in the car and come here where they can shop 'safely' and we have a Costco that they don't. The Costco alledgedly has 'senior hours', but they are not enforcing them. When they open, it's a mad rush to the door. I went there earlier, and the parking lot was filled with cars from the affected county! I just drove off. It isn't worth the price.

geekette

Reaction score
My city has been on Level 1 Emergency/Travel Advisory for weeks, and I've had no essential trips necessary, so grocery crowding is for me witnessed via local news broadcast. I don't understand it, honestly. It's not helping things.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Brother is in the opposite situation. He is currently winding up a couple of months at his Florida home and is debating whether to return to his primary residence in rural Pennsylvania...

George

In MA today the governor specifically addressed this. Snowbirds need to quarantine for 12 weeks upon their return.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
California tourist towns demand outsiders stay home. ‘Someone is going to get shot’

Interesting discussion about shuttering AirBnB's but nothing about people visiting their second homes from LA and Bay Area which also makes up a large population in Tahoe.