• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

People fleeing hot spots to their summer homes

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been a hot topic around here over the last 24 hours.....
A lot of coastal Massachusetts homes are summer vacation homes. In my little rural town, we know it is summer when you start to see the NY, NJ and CT license plates at the local grocery store. Here it is in March and we are seeing them already. People have started to leave places like NY and head to safer places. Makes sense, but now all the safer places are more at risk. Local town health departments are putting up advisories, if you are coming in from any of these areas you must self quarantine for 2 weeks. The reality is these people still need stock their summer homes with grocery and there is nobody that can police that.

The cape and the islands are all asking summer residents not to come, because these small area hospitals could not handle an outbreak.

Tough one for me, as I was comforted knowing I had a small local grocery store in town to go to if I needed to. Now, I see the place as a hot spot because of the influx of people from those areas. I want to say, no stay away from our tiny little town, don't bring the NY mess here!! But, I also know that if I had the choice to take my family from a high risk place to a low risk one, my car would be packed too. I cannot blame them for coming.

It all goes back to hoping the people around you, no matter where they are from do their best to limit the transmission.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree your neighbors from those hot spots areas need to stay home.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
NJ Governor told NYers not to go to their NJ Shore homes.

I think many other states are saying the same. If you can't fly, some will drive.

My daughter is in DE - she still has her NY plates. They are also staying in and not going anywhere. She is out of work now too. I told her be careful when going out for grocery - use my son-in-law's car. I don't think anyone wants to see NY plates right now. Can't blame them.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
On Long Island, many city residents are coming out east, some even renting houses. The town supervisors on the east end are rightly concerned.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DD and SIL returned to their primary (urban) residence. They figured that the supply chains and infrastructure were probably more reliable there than in the mountains.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yup. That is what is happening here in NH. Most from Massachusetts with second homes. Some come up just for the weekend and others are staying longer since they are not working or even if they are retired they feel safer up here.

I really think that is one reason the store shelves the past two weeks started to be more empty than they were. The season usually begins in May.

What can be done, though? People own homes and have the right to use them I would think even if they are not state residents.

My brother has the opposite situation. He just became a Florida resident recently. Has owned a home there for years (first a condo- now a house). He sold his LI, NY home on Tuesday and moved into a small apartment on LI. After settling in he wants to get back to the Florida house. He is keeping the apartment in NY as to be a snowbird.

I guess every person has their own story.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reasonable people will take the necessary precautions to protect themselves and others, especially their loved ones. But it is becoming more evident that not all of us are reasonable people at all.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Also a lot of people from border states like Maine, Mass and Vermont come to NH regularly to shop for supplies as there is no sales tax.

geekette

Reaction score
The idea that any locality in the continental US can avoid this by trying to “keep it out” without also having a rigorous and large scale testing and isolation strategy is probably a fool’s errand.
Especially since, no matter where you go, goods are delivered. Truck drivers go everywhere, even to Tiny Town, USA.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy, but I truly believe that travel in and out of parts of the country will be banned. Probably some sort of screening or Marshal Law. We should know in about two weeks how bad the spread is in most areas.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
also happening in our NC coastal retirement area--kids from NE bringing their families to stay with grandparents. My Mom said it's also an issue for FL where many from NE have winter homes.
honestly, I'd likely do the same--but I'd quarantine for at least 10 days and get groceries delivered. I doubt many will do that, sadly.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Especially since, no matter where you go, goods are delivered. Truck drivers go everywhere, even to Tiny Town, USA.
But that system is also under great stress now (the trucking industry) and will likely result in more delays as this plays out. A lot of coverage on this here in Arkansas given that we are home to many trucking companies and the most heavily trucked interstate runs through our state.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Better than a month ago, my siblings decided I was "hording" food … canned and frozen. Sorry, I am single and HATE grocery shopping. And I like big variety of food to select from after work. I eat my largest meal daily with my co-worker at lunch … he picks the place and does construction work.

NOW … my siblings from MILEs and MANY states away, are HAPPY that I have a variety of food for several weeks without shopping or doing drive-thru pickups. I actually had to TAKE cell phone pictures of my current stash level.

And NO, I am NOT heading to my vacation home (avatar picture). I have internet here and supplies.

Plus, in NJ … drivers of motor vehicles are NOT allowed to pump their own gas. Are the rest of you, being careful at the gas pumps?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby filled up last week and yes used gloves. (We wiped down all grocery with lysol wipes and washed all our fruits and vegetables too with soap and water).

Since we are not going anywhere. We will be good for a long time.

I told him to also use gloves when bringing in the garbage pail. We try to take it out once instead of twice a week.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
… drivers of motor vehicles are NOT allowed to pump their own gas. Are the rest of you, being careful at the gas pumps?

Now there's a service I miss. The days when the attendant would come to the window and ask how much would like? Can I check the oil for you?

Those were the days. ;)

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Here in NJ, the same warning is being spread by the governor and others. See the article below from today's Asbury Park Press.

I have my primary home in North Jersey and a condo at the Jersey shore (about an hour drive away), where we have been for the past 8 days. I understand the arguments on both sides but being a NJ state resident and paying property taxes in both places I feel I have that flexibility and right to stay at either place. In fact, we have been patronizing small businesses here that are still open and they appreciate the support. My wife and I both agree that if either of us starts to feel ill we will return to North Jersey where our medical professionals are located. Since we really can't see and meet with any of our family and friends, it doesn't really matter where we staying "home".

NOT WELCOME?
Tension grows as North Jerseyans fleeing coronavirus flock to Shore summer homes

The Patrisso family of West Caldwell purchased their second home in Ship Bottom seven weeks before superstorm Sandy struck in 2012. They live there throughout the year now and consider themselves part of the Long Beach Island community.

l Mindy Patrisso, 46, the wife and mother, calls LBI her “happy place,” where the family looks to “escape” whenever possible. “So honestly, it had nothing to do with the virus,” she said of the family’s presence at the Shore amid the global pandemic.

The migration to seasonal destinations is happening all over the country.

Image_4.jpg

“Our house is open year round, we pay taxes, we pay a mortgage, we just love it down here,” Patrisso said. “We love supporting small businesses as well. So, it was just a no brainer to come down and, kind of settle in and, and you know, figure out the new normal.”

Patrisso, who is a licensed clinical social worker and school social worker, said she first became aware that there was opposition to such thinking on Saturday.

That’s when Gov. Phil Murphy, himself a Jersey Shore resident, urged second- home owners to stay away.

“I urge those who have homes at the Jersey Shore to NOT go to them at this time,” Murphy tweeted. “The local infrastructure, especially the health care infrastructure, is not prepared for the influx of part-time residents. Please stay at your primary residences.”

Murphy’s comments came a day after authorities in both Long Beach Township and Ship Bottom warned those who do not live full-time on Long Beach Island not to relocate to the Shore during the present crisis.

“I’m not going to lie, it bothered me,” Patrisso said. “We take care of everything we need to and support the economy down here. So it’s fine when we do that during the summer, but now we’re being told not to come. But I do see both sides of the story as far as containing the virus.”

The influx of second-home owners — along with some tourists — to the Shore has ratcheted up the ongoing tension that exists between full-time Shore residents and summer visitors, only this time with a global pandemic as a backdrop.

Fights between full-time residents, second-home owners and regular Shore visitors have erupted on social media sites normally filled with photos of Shore sunsets or sale notices from local businesses.

A sign appeared at the foot of the Route 72 bridge from Stafford to Long Beach Island: “Bennys: Go Home. Locals: Stay Home.” Benny is a derogatory term many permanent residents of the Shore use to refer to visitors.

Several Jersey Shore mayors argue that beachfront communities are not prepared for an influx of visitors who have arrived more than two months before the traditional Memorial Day start of the summer season. They also fear people relocating to the Shore may bring COVID-19 with them.

“I can understand them wanting to escape the higher-density populations up in New York and North Jersey, but we are not prepared for them now,” said Lavallette Mayor Walter LaCicero. “Even on my block, I see half a dozen homes that are lit up at night that normally wouldn’t be.”

LaCicero pointed out that beachfront towns have limited numbers of police officers and emergency service workers in the winter, and if even one person contracts COVID-19, it could leave departments woefully shortstaffed.

Towns such as Lavallette typically hire additional special police officers during the summer months.

“We don’t have a whole lot of depth,” LaCicero said. “If we lose a couple of police we have a problem.”

Lavallette and nearby Mantoloking recently moved to temporarily ban rentals through vacation rental sites like Airbnb and VRBO during the pandemic.

The migration to seasonal destinations is happening all over the country, from North Carolina’s Outer Banks to ski towns in Vermont: the Washington Post reported that Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker recently warned homeowners with property on Nantucket or Martha’s Vinyard to “stay on the mainland.”

Seaside Heights Mayor Anthony E. Vaz said while he feels sorry for secondhome owners, the Shore’s infrastructure isn’t prepared for an influx of people, especially if some of them might get sick.

“You’ve got to feel for people who have secondary homes. They are coming down for the fresh air down here, but they are coming down here and we don’t have the facilities,” Vaz said. “We don’t have the hospitals, we have one food store, one Acme in Ortley Beach. We’re not equipped like we are in the summer.”

On Tuesday, Seaside Heights shut down its beach, concerned that tourists could be drawn to the area to stroll on the sand.

Vaz said that closing down the beaches is meant to serve as a disincentive for people who might be considering violating Murphy’s executive order directing New Jersey residents to stay home.

“I’m getting calls from locals, ‘Can I still jog down there? Can I still take a walk?’” Vaz said. “Yes, for now, you can still do that. In a couple of days, if we see too many people coming down there, that could change.”

Asbury Park Deputy Mayor Amy Quinn said while the city has not seen an influx of second-home owners coming to town, there are ongoing concerns about crowds coming to the boardwalk.

On March 20, people packed boardwalks in Asbury Park and many other parts of the Shore, lured by unseasonably warm temperatures that topped 70 degrees. Quinn said the city will not hesitate to shut down the boardwalk if crowds continue to flock there.

“We are monitoring it,” Quinn said. “If we have to shut it all down, we will shut it down.”

Like Mindy Patrisso, second-home owner Donovan, whose summer home is on the barrier island in Brick, said he was annoyed by Murphy’s remarks and cannot understand the concerns of barrier island mayors.

“I do object to the governor making a statement like that,” said Manhattan resident Donovan, who asked that his last name not be used. “We’ve owned a home for almost 10 years here. We pay taxes. Our neighbors have no problem with us being here.”

Donovan said he and his wife brought their children — ages 9 and 6 — down to their beach house from their Manhattan apartment “because social distancing is impossible in New York City.”

“It’s safer here,” he said. “They’re not playing with other kids outside. We’re socially distancing, and you can’t do that in a co-op in New York City. They would be locked up in an apartment.”

Noting that he pays more than $20,000 a year in taxes, Donovan said he found Murphy’s statement “obnoxious.”

“Why am I treated like a secondclass citizen?” he asked.

Mantoloking Mayor E. Laurence White said that while second-home owners have every right to stay in the borough and utilize their properties during any season, he fears that some of the young people now staying in town could put the older population at risk.

“There are a lot of younger people here now, and they don’t have the danger that the older people have,” White said. “Everybody is potentially a carrier … our population like many of the other barrier island towns, is elderly and at tremendous risk.”

Patrisso said the argument by local officials that the local health care infrastructure cannot support the additional population — in the event of a significant outbreak — is open to debate, since the state is geographically small enough that the system will be overwhelmed regardless of where New Jerseyans are riding out the crisis, she said.

“Whether it’s South Jersey, North Jersey, Central Jersey — it’s everywhere,” Patrisso said. “You know, God forbid I were to get sick or someone in my family, we would take every measure to get to a place that could accommodate us.” Moreover the only criticism she has seen to date is from people online — not from full-time residents in the community.

“So, we have seen some of our neighbors, who are year-round down here and they are just so welcoming and so kind,” Patrisso said.

Patrisso is married and has two 14year-old children. All of them keep busy at the residence with their careers and the children, who are in the eighth grade, with their online schoolwork.

“It’s more work than a regular day,” she said. “It’s a lot. (The children) fire up their Chromebooks in the morning — 8:00 a.m., Google classroom. … They start getting their assignments — they’re twins, so they’re able to kind of work with each other. I’m doing my work, virtually as a school social worker.”

So we’re all kind of on our devices and really trying to focus. And for me and for my family, I feel like we’re in a better place,” Patrisso said “... I’m not going to say it hasn’t been hard. It’s been difficult. … There’s been rough moments of just getting overwhelmed and trying to figure out the schedule for the day and navigate through this whole new lifestyle. It’s been a little challenging.”

When the family is not working, they take a lot of walks, she said.

“You know, walking on the Island is just so peaceful, there seem to be more cars in driveways than typically in March,” Patrisso said.

Jean Mikle: 732-233-6195, or jmikle@gannettnj.com Erik Larsen: 732-682-9359, or elarsen@gannettnj.com

Image_0.jpg

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless movement is restricted the virus will keep spreading. Close the bridge and tunnels to all but he most nessesary.

Brett

Reaction score
I know North Carolina closed the outer banks to everyone but residents - many people have second beach homes there

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Better than a month ago, my siblings decided I was "hording" food … canned and frozen. Sorry, I am single and HATE grocery shopping. And I like big variety of food to select from after work. I eat my largest meal daily with my co-worker at lunch … he picks the place and does construction work.

NOW … my siblings from MILEs and MANY states away, are HAPPY that I have a variety of food for several weeks without shopping or doing drive-thru pickups. I actually had to TAKE cell phone pictures of my current stash level.

And NO, I am NOT heading to my vacation home (avatar picture). I have internet here and supplies.

Plus, in NJ … drivers of motor vehicles are NOT allowed to pump their own gas. Are the rest of you, being careful at the gas pumps?

We haven't needed gas any since we can't go anywhere. Too bad because the prices are way down.

I am with you about "hoarding" food. I always like to be able to "shop" in my own pantry and freezer so I can deceide what I would like to cook each day.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
On Long Island, many city residents are coming out east, some even renting houses. The town supervisors on the east end are rightly concerned.

Long Island is a mess right now. I know many people who have or had the virus already. My niece was staying with her father, who lives with a nurse, nurse and father tested positive, before they knew it they sent my niece back home to her mother, who let her play with the neighborhood kids. Round and round we go. People.just.don’t.get. It.

Do you know the amount of teen attitude I’ve been hearing bc my kids can’t bike ride with their friends and cousins? I don’t care.

My stepfather wanted to go out to get a can of beans today so they can make pasta fagioli. I’m like “eat what’s in your house!”

People aren’t getting it. Really, they aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless movement is restricted the virus will keep spreading. Close the bridge and tunnels to all but he most nessesary.
Bingo. People are going to freak out, but it has to happen. Three weeks ago people were still trying to go to the movies, two weeks ago, people were still meeting in large group gatherings, last week people were still ignoring social distancing, this week people are still violating orders to stay home. People who are leaving infected areas and going to vacation homes have no clue that they are virus free. They are unbelievably self centered and irresponsible. It's just a matter of time before law enforcement, National Guard, and active duty Military are involved.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Long Island is a mess right now. I know many people who have or had the virus already. My niece was staying with her father, who lives with a nurse, nurse and father tested positive, before they knew it they sent my niece back home to her mother, who let her play with the neighborhood kids. Round and round we go. People.just.don’t.get. It.

Do you know the amount of teen attitude I’ve been hearing bc my kids can’t bike ride with their friends and cousins? I don’t care.

My stepfather wanted to go out to get a can of beans today so they can make pasta fagioli. I’m like “eat what’s in your house!”

People aren’t getting it. Really, they aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
. I understand the arguments on both sides but being a NJ state resident and paying property taxes in both places I feel I have that flexibility and right to stay at either place.

Most respectfully, the thing people are not getting is the more people move around, the greater the rate of transmission of this virus. I live on an island that sees a significant increase in our summer population. Our jurisdiction is stopping all traffic entering our island and advising that they are required upon entry to self isolate for 14 days. Self isolate does not mean stopping for groceries or a six pack. Public health now has a 1 800 number to report people who are not self isolating. After 1 week of some not heeding this advice, public health has now commencement enforcement actions against non-complaint individuals. We have not yet had a single case of community transmission. We are trying to keep it that way.

People need to stop thinking only about themselves and what their rights are. Individual actions affect all of us.