• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pemex gas station rip-off by SJD airport

Garry

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This post refers specifically to the first Pemex gas station that you will encounter south of the SJD airport as you head towards San Jose del Cabo. On two occasions I have topped up at this station and both times I have been ripped off.

On the first occasion, I was physically blocked by one employee at the station as a second employee started to fill the vehicle, such that I could not see that the pump was set at zero when the fill started. I had filled the car the day before and only drove it from Cabo to the Pemex station, about 45 kms. I had expected a maximum of 8 litres to top it off. Instead, it took over 30 litres according to the pump. Not much I could do about that so I paid the ridiculous amount and chalked it up to experience.

On the second occasion, just last Saturday, I went into the station with my eyes open. Before I released to gas cap cover, I was out of the car and made sure the pump read zero. Again, I had personally filled the tank the day before at Costco and expected only a nominal amount to top it off. It took about 8 litres or so, at a cost of 199 pesos. I handed the pump operator 3 - 50 peso notes, 2 - 20 peso notes and dug in my pocket for the last 9 pesos. Amazingly, now the operator only had 2 - 50 peso notes, not the 3 I had counted out to him, plus the 2 - 20 peso notes I had originally given him. He was now joined by two other station employees and proceeded to show them the bills he now had in his hand. Additionally, the pump now read that I owed 499 pesos, 300 pesos more than the amount I had watched pumped into the vehicle. Together, they wanted the new amount and attributed my questioning them about the changed amount as my possible misunderstanding the conversion to pesos - not sure how that worked, not that I cared. I called them on the change, paid the 59 pesos that they originally claimed I owed and told them I was not paying any more. I drove away with no further argument from them.

When I turned the car in, I spoke with the agent about my experiences and he advised that he often received similar complaints about this station - it was not unusual in his experience. Just thought I'd give other folks a heads up to be careful at this station.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
They did get me once. It kind of pisses a guy off but if you just think of it as a charity the world has a way of giving it back with interest. I'm definitely no condoning what these rats did.

Bill

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I had a kid palm a $20 bill the last time I filled up there as well. Keep smaller bills and count it out in front of them. They are con artists for sure.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. Don't feel bad. We've got taken as well. I feel like every time we fill up, we're on heightened alert for all the different scams (which are many). We're out of the car taking note of the pump, count out the pesos as we pay, and we're not afraid to make a scene if they mess with the the pump or palm pesos. It's turned into an inane end of vacation game for us.

Rascalsmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read your post before going to Cabo so I was on alert but we still got stung today! Filling rental car in the way to the airport- Hubs got out to talk to the guy. Our card “didn’t work”. So they tried mine which also “didn’t work”. So we paid in cash. I had a strong instinct they were scamming but no one took me seriously! By the time we landed in the USA each card had been hit with over 10K fraudulent charges. Odd things - the guys card reader had a cloth over it. Maybe so he could see the screen. Guys friendly to an abnormal degree. Also we were hit with the same fraud on my Amex which my husband had in his hand as an alternative. They must have used some other type of skimmer for that - my regular wallet has RFID protection. Fortunately we have our fraud controls set narrowly and they called us to verify the charges and we were able to block them. Avis car rental specifically recommended that station when we picked up our rental car. They may work together.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! That’s just crazy, @Rascalsmom! So sorry to hear that happened to you and your husband. It’s such an ugly way for a trip to end. I suspect you’re right about the car rental agent being in cahoots with the gas station. I’m glad you caught the fraud early. You have good instincts!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I’m flying down tomorrow and renting a car. I’ll fill up someplace in San Jose the night before we go back to the airport so we can avoid this place. I‘d like to avoid snapping a young man’s wrist for trying to rip me off.