• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

paying to dump timeshare / legit?

dave242

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've received an offer to transfer my timeshare. If I pay $700, Michael Simmers of TimeshareMarket.ning.com will take my timeshare off my hands. Is this legit? If so, how would you go about this?

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've received an offer to transfer my timeshare. If I pay $700, Michael Simmers of TimeshareMarket.ning.com will take my timeshare off my hands. Is this legit? If so, how would you go about this?

If you really want to dump it then I feel seven hundred not bad to just not have to hassle with it.:cool:

Now that I have said that why would this company contact you in first place? :shrug:

You can talk to them and check it out and wait for other shoe to drop that they now need more money.:crash:

Be very carful that you don't hand over your money and they just fade away and you still have your condo.

This just sounds to easy and we all know the rule when it sounds to good to be true!

PHIL:banana:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
To test whether the offer is for real, tell him that you'll do the deal, but only through a respected timeshare closing company such as JRA Services. My guess is that he will disappear quite quickly.

Giving any unknown person or company money based solely on a promise is a foolish action.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave do a search here for "postcard company" to learn more of how this sort of "offer" is little more than a scam to separate you from your money. And when the maintenance fees come due on your unsold timeshare, guess who pays them? Right - you do.

If you just want to unload your timeshare, check the ad pages here at TUG. There are plenty of people willing to take on a timeshare for free. Some are even willing to pay a reasonable amount. You conceiveably could find someone to pay you that same $700 to buy it from you instead of you paying someone to "take it off your hands."

Do your research and be smart.

Good luck!

Dave

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Most of the time, if you list it for sale on ebay for a dollar, you will have someone take it off your hands without you having to pay $700.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't do it...they love to take your money, and then nothing happens. I know a few folks who did this, just desperate to get rid of it. Like the last poster said, list it for $1...much cheaper and more effective. Good luck!
Connie

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Nightmare Scenario.

Click here in case you missed the nightmare scenario showing where that sort of thing fits into the overlapping layers of multiple timeshare scams.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, let's be very clear - Do Not pay anyone to "take a timeshare off your hands." You will be paying out the money and you will still have your timeshare.

As the others suggested, do some reading here and you will see that non one has had any luck with this type of "deal."

The advice on selling it here on TUG or on eBay is good. There are other online companies, such as redweek.com where you can sell it yourself. Price it right and someone will take it. You could also try craigslist.org for the location where the timeshare is located.

Best of luck.

Sue

dave242

TUG Member
Reaction score
another idea

First, thanks for the replies.

Naturally I've tried to donate my timeshare first but with no takers. One such place responded that I try using timeshareassistance.com which charges 1 year's maintenance fee plus $127. They need $100 up front. Anyone heard of this outfit? I am VERY wary now of scams but if it's legit I would do this.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it was me I would just list on Tug as free and buyer pays all closing cost.

This way your out without paying and someone that might take your timeshare is out only the closing fee's!

Sounds like good deal for both parties!:banana:

PHIL

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it was me I would just list on Tug as free and buyer pays all closing cost.

I'll go one step further. If you really want out and the alternative is to pay someone to take your Week off your hands, offer to pay either half or all of the closing costs yourself. You will spend less money and know with certainty that you no longer own the Week.

George

hunkyleebo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't give Michael Simmers any money. I gave him money to do an e-bay auction for me and he's not returning voice mails nor e-mails.

bruwery

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!

Do not give this man $700. Do not give him a nickel. Don't even waste a cell phone minute talking to him.

Peruse this site to find a myriad of ways to move your timeshare that don't require giving money to scam artists, several of which have been mentioned in this thread.

Your diligence - and ultimately, your inquiry at this site - likely saved you $700. Nice job!!

Last edited:

susiequeve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please listen to the advice given above. Do Not Pay hundreds of dollars to sell your timeshare. I paid 3 different companies to sell my timeshare (this was before I found TUG) and they were all scam artists. I learned the hard way. I ended up selling one of my units right here on TUG for free.