• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paying people to be vaccinated

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Concerning who wants to be vaccinated and who doesn't, I would like to see a poll that has more demographics details. Large urban areas are more at risk than spread out areas; more mobile people can spread the virus more than those with more limited contacts and of course older people need it a lot more than younger people.

My sense is there will be enough people in the areas where it matters that want to be vaccinated to crash the virus. Being paid for the vaccine sets a terrible precedent. Politicians are very creative when it comes to spending money that has not been printed yet.
If they are going to hand out money because of the pandemic regardless, seems fair to me to require recipients to help stop the virus.

Kind of like requiring those on the dole to look for a job.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they are going to hand out money because of the pandemic regardless, seems fair to me to require recipients to help stop the virus.

There is no proof that not enough people will want to be vaccinated. Polls can be wrong and some of them were conducted when we knew veyy little about the safety and the efficiency of the vaccines. Most likely, there we will be less vaccines than willing people for months.

If you think this should be part of stimulus money that would be spent anyway, we may be in a very strange situation in the next 6-9 months. Doctors and older people (some of them with stable income and who have not suffered from any financial loss during the pandemic) will receive the cheque very fast since they have priority. Others that may have lost their jobs and have kids at home but are not in the risky category will have to wait for months until their turn comes. To me this does not look like the kind of stimulus you would want.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I would be more in favor of handing out money to get the vaccine if they do not limit by income. That sends the wrong message. Technically, I am not in favor of handing out money to people to stimulate the economy. These programs are never implemented right.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I heard in order to travel internationally you will be required to get Covid vaccine . Not sure if that is true for other countries entering the USA.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I heard in order to travel internationally you will be required to get Covid vaccine . Not sure if that is true for other countries entering the USA.
I heard there were some airlines requiring this. Can't remember which one, or ones.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
There is no proof that not enough people will want to be vaccinated. Polls can be wrong and some of them were conducted when we knew veyy little about the safety and the efficiency of the vaccines. Most likely, there we will be less vaccines than willing people for months.

If you think this should be part of stimulus money that would be spent anyway, we may be in a very strange situation in the next 6-9 months. Doctors and older people (some of them with stable income and who have not suffered from any financial loss during the pandemic) will receive the cheque very fast since they have priority. Others that may have lost their jobs and have kids at home but are not in the risky category will have to wait for months until their turn comes. To me this does not look like the kind of stimulus you would want.
Proof no, lots of deniers yes. The same people that refuse to wear masks will refuse the vaccine, IMO.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I would be more in favor of handing out money to get the vaccine if they do not limit by income. That sends the wrong message. Technically, I am not in favor of handing out money to people to stimulate the economy. These programs are never implemented right.

What???!! Absolutely no oversight, just handing out money to those that apply online, with no verification? People that feel like they do good by spending money, without thinking about the consequences? What's wrong with this?

Next thing you're going to tell me is this would lead to hundreds of millions of COVID $$, or more, going to California prisoners for unemployment. :eek: Come on, get serious!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
What???!! Absolutely no oversight, just handing out money to those that apply online, with no verification? People that feel like they do good by spending money, without thinking about the consequences? What's wrong with this?

Next thing you're going to tell me is this would lead to hundreds of millions of COVID $$, or more, going to California prisoners for unemployment. :eek: Come on, get serious!

Did you read what I wrote? I said I am not in favor of any handouts at all.

Your second paragraph is bizarre. I did not understand it at all.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Proof no, lots of deniers yes. The same people that refuse to wear masks will refuse the vaccine, IMO.
"Lots" is very vague, if you come with a documented count I will agree with you. I think I read about 85-90% compliance with the masks so if you are right you do not have to worry about it.

IMO though the 2 groups are not identical . Certain politicians were caught without masks at parties that took place inside , they were at hair saloons etc but they will be the first in line to get a vaccine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tia

geekette

Reaction score
I am against bribes for vax. I just want it to be free of cost. I'm fine with waiting my turn, there are others with much higher risk from bad outcome of the virus. I simply hope it won't be who you know that gets you a place in line but actual need.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Did you read what I wrote? I said I am not in favor of any handouts at all.

Your second paragraph is bizarre. I did not understand it at all.
Sorry the sarcasm did not come through. Surprised you haven't heard bout this:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I'll happily get the vaccine without having to be paid to do it. But I don't want to be first, and I won't stand in a long line to get it done. I might consider sitting in a line of cars, but not for more than 90 minutes on a non-hot day. As it is it seems to take close to an hour to get a shot at Vons or CVS on a regular day.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I used to pay my kids $10 to get vaccinated (after they were old enough for that) - it was worth every penny! I'd tell them: You can put up a fuss, or you can cooperate and get $10 bucks - your choice. They choose $10 every single time! Also, worked very well for haircut bribes for my son. Yes, it was bribery - and it worked!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to pay my kids $10 to get vaccinated (after they were old enough for that) - it was worth every penny! I'd tell them: You can put up a fuss, or you can cooperate and get $10 bucks - your choice. They choose $10 every single time! Also, worked very well for haircut bribes for my son. Yes, it was bribery - and it worked!

A little different as $10 to a kid is for wants not needs. Money for a lot of people now is for needs.

geekette

Reaction score
But that was from your pocket to your kids. This is not that, it is hundreds of millions of people from some phantom pot of dough, and I don't think $10 would do it for any anti-vaxxer.

however, I wouldn't mind if you bribed me $10 to get my hair cut.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I heard there were some airlines requiring this. Can't remember which one, or ones.
Qantas (Australian airline) just announced they will be requiring it. Kinda moot at this point since travel to Australia is nearly impossible.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Qantas (Australian airline) just announced they will be requiring it. Kinda moot at this point since travel to Australia is nearly impossible.

Really misleading headline since it is an “intent” not a requirement now.

Pretty good click bait but still good info.

Cheers

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I read that India may offer a free set of dishes after part 2 of one of the potential vaccines.
I chose to get my flu shot at CVS for the $5 coupon off a $20 purchase.
There are less costly ways to incentivize folks to get vaccinated for Covid than a huge monetary payout.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Plasma centers are illegal in many places. Paying for blood is very ethically fraught.

I am not familiar with their status in Canada, but they are common here in the United States.

geekette

Reaction score
I am not familiar with their status in Canada, but they are common here in the United States.
Yes. When I was in college, there were a handful of people I knew that treated these donations like a part time job. Plasma is used in cosmetics, among other things. To me, it makes sense to pay the donor when the donated product will be used to generate profit.

I have been a blood donor since they first brought the truck to our high school. Never any $, of course, I did it because I could and it would help others.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a blood donor since they first brought the truck to our high school. Never any $, of course, I did it because I could and it would help others.
Me too. Just donated on Monday. Once in a while we get a t-shirt or something. :whooopie:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Concerning who wants to be vaccinated and who doesn't, I would like to see a poll that has more demographics details. Large urban areas are more at risk than spread out areas; more mobile people can spread the virus more than those with more limited contacts and of course older people need it a lot more than younger people.

My sense is there will be enough people in the areas where it matters that want to be vaccinated to crash the virus. Being paid for the vaccine sets a terrible precedent. Politicians are very creative when it comes to spending money that has not been printed yet.
I work professionally in market research. Currently , one of my projects is for one the Pharma companies that is making a covid vax. We are doing a pretty in-depth project for them to understand what are the motivational "hooks" to get someone to vaccinate. Obviously, different people have different motivations. Our client wants to understand these differences and then understand what the best way to market to those and how best reach them.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I grew up poor and was selling plasma twice a week to buy groceries and beer back in the 80's during college. Never got any kind of government assistance and it never occurred to me to ask for any. If they were paying for taking vaccines back in the day all the college kids would have lined up for the free money. Some of them would have figured out a way to get vaccinated more than once for the $$$. Covid is spreading quickly on college campuses and my daughter and all of her friends have already had it. They are not at high risk for death. They barely had any symptoms and most found out that they had it due to contact tracing (not symptoms) and quarantined together in groups (no point being alone if you all have it). Their only complaint was lack of smell or taste. Three of my cousins also got it, two got pneumonia and the other was asymptomatic. One of my coworkers sons tested positive and the whole family got quarantined. Mom and son tested positive but the father and daughter never did. The son had a fever for one day and mom never did.

My wife and adult kids get the annual flu shot but I do not. My wife and kids usually get the flu anyway and I do not. Perhaps it is my blood type or immune system. I have food allergies, skin allergies, and get kidney stones but generally don't have to deal much with cold or flu. My blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, and weight are all perfect for my age and height. My first impression is that I don't want or need the vaccine. Surely their are a lot more people that are at higher risk than me so let them take it.

However if I were to get paid $1500.00 to take the vaccine I would probably take it before the incentive runs out. Also if it is required in order to travel to Hawaii or to Mexico I would take it because my love for the beach exceeds my concern that the vaccine might be wasted on me. Without financial incentive or travel restrictions requiring it I might never get the vaccine.

To be clear I am not in favor of the government paying people to take the vaccine or forcing them to take it. I am all about free will and choice !!!!

Last edited: