• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paying people to be vaccinated

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an interesting survey question of Smerconish.com for the day.

Do you agree with former Congressman John Delaney that the U.S. should pay every American $1,500 to take a COVID vaccine?

The obvious argument in its favor is to increase participation in the vaccination program. But, Delaney adds that it could also serve as a (the) economic stimulus to reinvigorate the economy. I am not sure where I stand, but, as said, find the question interesting.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Who is paying medical group or government?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Never has a stimulus hurt so good.

While I like the concept, what happens if some long term side effects of the vaccine are subsequently discovered? For all of the good news from the three potential vaccines, they still have yet to be proven safe in the long term.

I do agree Roger - this is an interesting question to consider.
COVID-19 has introduced some unique challenges and it will similarly take some unique solutions to address.

Let me offer a similar question / thought:
How long would such a program run - in other words, how long could one wait and still get the reward?
I would be tempted by such an offer, but not to the point where I would want to be at (or near) the head of the line.

But as I type that, the thought occurs these same people who took the shot just to get the $1500 just became a test group....I would want to be later (perhaps as late as possible) to this offer.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not think the government should pay people to take the vaccine. As far as I know, the government has not paid people to take other necessary vaccines so why start with Covid? It sounds like manipulation to me, like a huge science experiment on people. It should be voluntary like all other vaccines. If we force people to take the Covid vaccine, then we should force them to take all vaccines. There is such inconsistency with Covid. Covid will become manageable in the future. It is not a death sentence now so why force people to submit to a vaccine they may be uncomfortable taking.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would make people take it or restrict what they can do if they do not take it. No sporting events, kids not able to enroll in school, public transportation, flying, cruises, leaving the country, entering the country, working in schools, medical field and throw in a few more.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The proposal is that it be part of a Federal stimulus package.

I like the idea. I think there has been woefully inadequate stimulus spending. I also think there is a clear societal benefit from rapid and widespread vaccine uptake. Combining the two in this way is appealing.

I wouldn't mind means-testing it to phase out for folks with incomes above $X, if that helps get it passed. (I write that knowing that there is almost no reasonable value of $X that would include me in the payment group.)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have always thought that most people do not get away with doing the wrong thing. The consequences of doing the wrong thing usually catch up, imo. To me, paying people to participate in a vaccination program is the wrong way to get people to to do the right thing.

The problem with the new vaccine is this isn't an end all solution to Covid 19. These vaccines help prevent Covid 19 symptoms and do not block or kill the virus meaning a person that is inoculated can still catch Covid 19 after taking the vaccine. This could end up similar to a yearly flu shot, imo.

Bill

Last edited:

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I actually agree with the economic stimulus and including income phase-out, tying it to vaccination could be a slippery slope towards experimenting on people based on economic class.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are we so concerned about who won't take the vaccine? I think it should be free and available to whoever wants it as quickly as possible. But why do we care who else becomes vaccinated:ponder:......(I am VERY sorry and sympathetic for our front line medical staff and the tireless work they do.....but I will assume they will at least be at the front of the line to receive a vaccine......so although they will work HARD in a VERY difficult job....if they choose to become vaccinated their job won't automatically present such a serious COVID death threat; or at least a reduced threat to less than 5% (I will also assume they will continue to use PPE).

As far as anyone else choosing not to take the vaccine. I'm not really sure why I should be so terribly concerned (except that I'm human and sick people make me sad)......but IF many; or a large group of people refuse the vaccine... I'm hoping my name will move higher to the top of the priority/availablity list. My family (7 children & grandchildren) are mainly believers in scientific data and expert research and I would encourage them to also be vaccinated as soon as possible (because many are younger....further down on the list of vaccine availability/priority, the more people that refuse the vaccine the faster the list will hopefully open up for younger people or those of us without an identified immune deficiency).

If the vaccine is accepted and/or not taken according to political lines/beliefs :ponder: :shrug:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Why are we so concerned about who won't take the vaccine? I think it should be free and available to whoever wants it as quickly as possible. But why do we care who else becomes vaccinated:ponder:......(I am VERY sorry and sympathetic for our front line medical staff and the tireless work they do.....but I will assume they will at least be at the front of the line to receive a vaccine......so although they will work HARD in a VERY difficult job....if they choose to become vaccinated their job won't automatically present such a serious COVID death threat; or at least a reduced threat to less than 5% (I will also assume they will continue to use PPE).
Many hospitals mandate that health care workers have up-to-date vaccines as a condition of working. I imagine this would apply to the covid vaccine.

Those of you living in the US are lucky. You'll have it probably a couple of months before we get it in Canada since regulatory approvals take so long up here.

I'll be getting a jab as soon as it is available - no need to pay me. I'm just waiting for an offer of $1500 to eat my broccoli...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
[DELETED. Calling a foremost expert "stupid" says a whole lot more about you than it does about him, and TUG isn't the place to raise that particular ridiculousness.]

Last edited by a moderator:

SusanRN

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with the new vaccine is this isn't an end all solution to Covid 19. These vaccines help prevent Covid 19 symptoms and do not block or kill the virus meaning a person that is inoculated can still catch Covid 19 after taking the vaccine. This could end up similar to a yearly flu shot, imo.

Bill
Dr. Fauci apparently made that statement on October 26th -- a long time ago in terms of what we now know about the Pfizer and Moderna/NIH vaccines, which have been shown at this point to produce effective antibodies (e.g., to *prevent* Covid) in about 95% of recipients. Prevent disease, not prevent symptoms. And there is additional evidence of reducing symptoms in those who got Covid anyway.
And, yes, it remains to be seen how long the antibodies will remain in the system. Researchers will continue to measure that to obtain more definitive information. Could it end up as an annual vaccine? Possibly...remains to be evaluated.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
As someone who has already gotten the Moderna Vaccine in the trial, do I get the $1500?

Cheers

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I like the idea. I think there has been woefully inadequate stimulus spending. I also think there is a clear societal benefit from rapid and widespread vaccine uptake. Combining the two in this way is appealing.

I wouldn't mind means-testing it to phase out for folks with incomes above $X, if that helps get it passed. (I write that knowing that there is almost no reasonable value of $X that would include me in the payment group.)

Now this sounds like a science experiment for the poor esp if they exclude high income people. Only bribe low/middle income people with money to be guinea pigs for the wealthy. Terrible optics.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
As someone who has already gotten the Moderna Vaccine in the trial, do I get the $1500?

Cheers

Thank You !! How are you feeling ?

Bill

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score

Totally agree. The stimulus payments will get approved in January, but getting a check should be contingent on getting the vaccine. The only problem is that lots of people need the money now and the vaccine is not available now.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Now this sounds like a science experiment for the poor esp if they exclude high income people. Only bribe low/middle income people with money to be guinea pigs for the wealthy. Terrible optics.

Employing this same logic, you would close plasma centers as well....

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The most recent Medcram on the various vaccines.

I was a Mercy Man at 6 years old. Luck was with me, the long term bad side effect didn't get me.

I won't be one again for a mere $1500. . . .

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Employing this same logic, you would close plasma centers as well....

No, that is not a life and death situation and donating blood is not risky like taking an experimental vaccine.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am going to take it first chance I get. Stimulus or not. By the time we are able to receive in April/May, most side effects will be known since the first doses in Fall 2020.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Concerning who wants to be vaccinated and who doesn't, I would like to see a poll that has more demographics details. Large urban areas are more at risk than spread out areas; more mobile people can spread the virus more than those with more limited contacts and of course older people need it a lot more than younger people.

My sense is there will be enough people in the areas where it matters that want to be vaccinated to crash the virus. Being paid for the vaccine sets a terrible precedent. Politicians are very creative when it comes to spending money that has not been printed yet.