• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pay MF with old Amex SPG or old Chase Marriott Card?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I know there are bits and pieces to this in various threads, but most talk about the new card.

I think both generate the same number of MR points, but before I push $10K+ to one or the other, I just needed a peer review. ;-)

FWIW, most of our spending is on the Amex SPG (or Chase SR).

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I know there are bits and pieces to this in various threads, but most talk about the new card.

I think both generate the same number of MR points, but before I push $10K+ to one or the other, I just needed a peer review. ;-)

I pay all of my MF (also around 10k) with the Marriott Premier Plus card. At 6x it’s an easy decision for me (I don’t have the SPG AMEX CARD).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
The old Marriott card only gets 5 points per $. I haven't upgraded either. I don't think you can convert SPG to Marriott for 3 times the points anymore. So what does SPG get you?

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
SPG AMEX card gives 6x points for all SPG and Marriott Reward hotels purchases, but not sure if that applies to Vistana MF. I charged 1 of my 3 weeks to my SPG AMEX Card 2 days ago. I will know after I get the next statement. I did read somewhere on TUG that someone else got 6x for Vistana MF, so I figured I would give it a try.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, my understanding is that the SPG card gets 6X, but I didn't try it. I think 3X on my Chase Sapphire Reserve is probably a better deal.

My SPG card renewed this past July without the free night's stay, and so keeping it has been a thorn in my side. I haven't used it since before July and still had to pay the fee for absolutely no benefit. The free night would make it worthwhile, but not without that free night. I don't keep cards that have no value at all.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I don't think you can convert SPG to Marriott for 3 times the points anymore. So what does SPG get you?

If you haven't combined your SPG account to your MR account, then you still get the 3x conversion. I just converted my 33k SPG points and got the 100k added yesterday to my MR account.

If you've already combined, and have the other Marriott Visa, then yes, might as well use that and close the old AMEX SPG to avoid the annual fee. I'll be closing my SPG card soon (or downgrading if they let me like Chase does. Worse on your credit to close a high limit card too.)

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
We only have the old Chase MR card. I plan to put all my $10k in MFs on it, for 5x MR Pts. I believe the old card still gets extra nights credit as well, which help count towards Suite Night rewards and Lifetime status. We don't yet have SPG AMEX, so no great alternative for us.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is full of conflicting information, so does anyone have a definitive answer? Has anyone used the old SPG AMEX card to pay maintenance fees after they combined their Starwood and Marriott Rewards programs? Did you get 6X the dollar paid in points?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
FWIW, the chart above tracks with what AMEX SPG just told me. The 'old', still available AMEX SPG card @ $95/yr gets 6x points for Marriott/SPG hotel spend.

As noted in another post, I was tempted to put it on my Chase Sapphire Reserve, but I can use the 60K points to upgrade some travel certificates acquired during last August's buying spree.

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
Ok, I used my OLD AMEX SPG card to pay for Vistana Signature Flex maintenance fees (I have 2) back in August, and they earned 4x bonus points, listed on my Amex bill under tab “Bonus Points Earned” as line item “SPG and Marriott” . Not 3x and not 6x as someone noted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I paid my Vistana Maintenance Fees last month with the old AMEX SPG card and got 6x bonus points in my new merged rewards account.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Ok, I used my OLD AMEX SPG card to pay for Vistana Signature Flex maintenance fees (I have 2) back in August, and they earned 4x bonus points, listed on my Amex bill under tab “Bonus Points Earned” as line item “SPG and Marriott” . Not 3x and not 6x as someone noted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Vistana Signature Flex MFs earned a total of 6x points. It earned 2x points as everything does and it earned 4x bonus points because of the Marriott affiliation. This gives you the 6x earning.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Your Vistana Signature Flex MFs earned a total of 6x points. It earned 2x points as everything does and it earned 4x bonus points because of the Marriott affiliation. This gives you the 6x earning.
Yes! So funny. Bonus points are different from base earning. So controller1 is correct.

The conflicting information is basically misunderstanding the difference between base earn and bonus earn.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
FYI: I'm sure most of you know this but for those that don't, they are coming out with a new SPG card soon. I called to cancel my SPG card since i have the Chase MR ones and don't care about earning SPG points anymore. My annual fee was coming up and I wanted to downgrade to the AMEX every day card. Since our card is 'co-branded' you can't downgrade. (only Amex Plat to Amex gold or Amex gold to Amex everyday if you want to avoid the annual fee). I can't switch to the Hilton card either..so either cancel it, pay the fee and keep it, or wait for the new card and be 'exclusively invited' he said.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort

Does anyone know the difference between the old Chase Marriott card and the new Chase Marriott Card? I've heard conflicting information so we kept the old credit card for now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
FYI: I'm sure most of you know this but for those that don't, they are coming out with a new SPG card soon. I called to cancel my SPG card since i have the Chase MR ones and don't care about earning SPG points anymore. My annual fee was coming up and I wanted to downgrade to the AMEX every day card. Since our card is 'co-branded' you can't downgrade. (only Amex Plat to Amex gold or Amex gold to Amex everyday if you want to avoid the annual fee). I can't switch to the Hilton card either..so either cancel it, pay the fee and keep it, or wait for the new card and be 'exclusively invited' he said.

OK, but what did you do?