• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Partisanship Isn’t The Only Reason Why So Many Americans Remain Unvaccinated

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
From fivethirtyeight.com (that refuge of troglodytes who dared to suggest that Hillary Clinton's ascension to the presidency might be doubtful):

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
From fivethirtyeight.com (that refuge of troglodytes who dared to suggest that Hillary Clinton's ascension to the presidency might be doubtful):

I read on here that the unvaxxed are stupid people who should not be allowed to use the same facilities and services as the smart people (vaxxed).

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read on here that the unvaxxed are stupid people who should not be allowed to use the same facilities and services as the smart people (vaxxed).
Did you see the part of the article that talked about education?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read where 50% of Americans have below average IQ's :(

That's only true because they normalize IQ scores to a Gaussian distribution. Raw intelligence is more like a log normal distribution, which means that more than 50% of the people have below the mean intelligence.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you see the part of the article that talked about education?
Let's not leave out the young, the poor, people of color and Hispanic Americans.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's not leave out the young, the poor, people of color and Hispanic Americans.
Interesting that you pick my comment to reply to and not the one I replied to that seemed to leave those out also. ;)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an article from today's NYTimes that says pretty much the same as the one linked in the OP...

(Sorry, WV, I'm betting that the article is behind a firewall, but thought that an article from a different source would help avoid people rejecting the OP's post.)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Unvaccinated Americans tend to be younger, less well-educated and poorer"

I am wondering how the other two variables looked if you excluded all the young people who also tend to be poorer and (for now) less educated.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
(Sorry, WV, I'm betting that the article is behind a firewall, but thought that an article from a different source would help avoid people rejecting the OP's post.)

There are those who reject ANYTHING from ANY source that contradicts their opinion. I have liberally applied the ignore button on that type of people.

Cheers

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Unvaccinated Americans tend to be younger, less well-educated and poorer"

I am wondering how the other two variables looked if you excluded all the young people who also tend to be poorer and (for now) less educated.

Are young people less educated? I would suspect that the prevalence of post secondary education is going up. Maybe the very youngest adult demographic ~18-24 or so have less degrees because they aren't done yet.

But I'd expect 25-35 has more education that 35-45 which has more than 45-55 etc. Whether those extra degrees are adding value is a separate conversation...

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are those who reject ANYTHING from ANY source that contradicts their opinion. I have liberally applied the ignore button on that type of people.

Cheers
Keep in mind that's it's not simply a matter of rejecting, "ANYTHING from ANY source". It's a matter of, if you quote a source or any information from a source,
provide a source that doesn't require becoming a paid user. I would prefer not giving my personal information to any site in order to just read one article. It's not
the cost, it's the principal. Also, as far as the "ignore button", it's your prerogative so do so. As for me, I always avoid doing that but, that's just me. I'm not going
to run away, close my eyes and choose not see what anyone says. In fact, I want to see what you have to say, not hide from it.

geekette

Reaction score
Keep in mind that's it's not simply a matter of rejecting, "ANYTHING from ANY source". It's a matter of, if you quote a source or any information from a source,
provide a source that doesn't require becoming a paid user. I would prefer not giving my personal information to any site in order to just read one article. It's not
the cost, it's the principal. Also, as far as the "ignore button", it's your prerogative so do so. As for me, I always avoid doing that but, that's just me. I'm not going
to run away, close my eyes and choose not see what anyone says. In fact, I want to see what you have to say, not hide from it.
With you on the principle. I get it, they need paid readers, but I’m selective on that. attributing source is always good, as sometimes Mr Google will find free content covering same whatever.

ignore button, for a long while I did not use it. But if I find myself too irked w little value, I use it. Life is too short. I also like different perspectives as we are all individuals. I think it would do the world good to understand the differences between reporting and journalism. Sometimes the slant is the point. Other times, it should be factual, checked repeatedly before go live. The lines get murky as it used to be news talking heads were to be unquestionably objective. Now there are a zillion shows and sites that can be thought of as news but the viewer needs to understand is this reporting or interpretation of facts. And are those actually facts?

my grandmother told me to read everything I could get my hands on. Partly to fill my head w useful bits helpful later in life (I could recognize stuff in cereal before I could pronounce it or know what it was; niacin one example). The other idea was to collect enough info to form my own understanding and parse out fact from crap. lots of noise/choices out there. It is up to each person to assess the level of credibility and I won’t throw baby out w bath water. “source” is generally a hierarchy, from ground level of person constructing story to the masthead over it.

geekette

Reaction score
I was a wait and see person on vax. By the time I was eligible, I was satisfied with the see part. Sure, I could be doomed to weird long term effects of vax but I will take that risk over the small pool of info on long term COVID effects. In a decade or so it will all seem obvious, but right now I can understand waiting to see what happens to vaxxed people.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The reason I use the ignore button is that numerous times I’ve provided information from what I consider reputable open non paywalled sources such as the CDC, FDA, Mayo Clinic, Harvard School of Medicine and others to persons to counter some absurd claim. These are met with deflection, an obscure study non-peer reviewed, some statement on Facebook or a YouTube Clip from somebody in a white coat, simply ignored or otherwise apparent disbelief. After several such episodes with a person, I chose to use tthe ignore function to block their comments since any response to counter wild and unsubstantiated statements would be fruitless and thus certainly repeat this process. They are free to continue to respond to others.

I’m not “hiding” from anything. If a person has a logical position backed by rational thought processes and sound evidence, I’m more than willing to further discuss with them. If they don’t and repeatedly demonstrated it, why waste my time?

Cheers

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't want someone who can't tell the difference between having a different opinion and dismissing your opinion.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are young people less educated? I would suspect that the prevalence of post secondary education is going up. Maybe the very youngest adult demographic ~18-24 or so have less degrees because they aren't done yet.

But I'd expect 25-35 has more education that 35-45 which has more than 45-55 etc. Whether those extra degrees are adding value is a separate conversation...
For the money part it is pretty clear I think, the younger the less affluent generally. Concerning the education, you are right, I am sure though the 18-24 YO represent an important percentage of unvaccinated people. Many of them not only think they are at a lower risk because of age, they have also worked essential jobs that older people avoided in the last 18 months, many already had Covid so they are less concerned than others. However I have not found data just about the vaccination of the 18-24 yo to back my theory.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."
– Column in January 18, 1983 The Washington Post. Based on an earlier quote by James R. Schlesinger.

Cheers

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you remember Rosa Parks?
I missed her in the article. But if you would like to discuss the role of systemic racism on vaccine hesitation.....have at it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was a wait and see person on vax. By the time I was eligible, I was satisfied with the see part. Sure, I could be doomed to weird long term effects of vax but I will take that risk over the small pool of info on long term COVID effects. In a decade or so it will all seem obvious, but right now I can understand waiting to see what happens to vaxxed people.

The long term effects can‘t be worse than women who fill themselves with hormones to have babies.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I missed her in the article. But if you would like to discuss the role of systemic racism on vaccine hesitation.....have at it.

What is the role of systemic racism on vaccine hesitation?

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the role of systemic racism on vaccine hesitation?
I am not sure it can be discussed here but research Tuskegee Airmen experiments and how race affects your health care treatment.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure it can be discussed here but research Tuskegee Airmen experiments and how race affects your health care treatment.

Yes, now that you mention it, I have read a little about how race affects health care treatment. I was not connecting that with vaccine hesitancy. It’s a good point and we should have some compassion for people of color who are hesitant to get the vaccine.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We should have compassion on everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: