• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parking in Kona $8/hour

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We spent 15 days in Kona and Waikoloa recently. Very nice place to spend a vacation. We did not pay for parking during the entire stay, however, one day we almost parked in a lot that charged $8/hour!!

We spent 7 nights at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort without paying for parking. We spent 8 nights at the Bay Club in Waikoloa without paying for parking. We parked on the street near Gertrudes one night without paying for parking. While we didn't drive we found out that when you go to the Royal Hawaiian Luau your parking ticket is validated so there is no charge. We parked in the lot near the farmers/flea market in the village of Kona without paying for parking, however, the lot immediately next to that lot charges $8/hour WITHOUT POSTING THE CHARGE. We pulled into a spot in the lot and before we paid we asked some people who were at a booth how much the parking was. They said $8/hour. We went into that lot at the farmers/flea market for free and spent the afternoon in Kona. When we left we spoke to the people who parked next to us who were also leaving about the parking charges at the next door lot. They said they also pulled into the $8/hour lot and actually attempted to pay for a little over 2 hours with their credit card and the charge came up as $19!!

The real concern I have is that there is NO POSTING OF THE CHARGE. That is a rip off.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
When we left we spoke to the people who parked next to us who were also leaving about the parking charges at the next door lot. They said they also pulled into the $8/hour lot and actually attempted to pay for a little over 2 hours with their credit card and the charge came up as $19!!

The real concern I have is that there is NO POSTING OF THE CHARGE. That is a rip off.
Sounds like you had to prepay per the couple (as is the case in these pay lots or you would just leave without paying), so anyone would know the rate when parking. I have never heard of prepaying in a lot like this with controlled exit.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Sounds like you had to prepay per the couple (as is the case in these pay lots or you would just leave without paying), so anyone would know the rate when parking. I have never heard of prepaying in a lot like this with controlled exit.

To be clear; when you entered the parking lot and parked your car in a parking spot you did NOT KNOW THE CHARGE. It wasn't posted like it is in parking garages that I have seen in New York City. After you and perhaps the people in your party exited the car to find the payment kiosk and put your credit card in the machine you find the exorbitant rate for the privilege of parking in this small town. This is NOT New York City, Honolulu, or other major city where parking your car at Hotels and Timeshares cost $30-$70 a day so you expect to pay to park when you move your car and park in another part of the city. This is a very rural or suburban area that has lots of free parking and apparently some rip off parking.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I know the lot you are speaking of, its privately owned but the signage makes you think its local govt owned, a well known RIP off spot just like the "farmers market" next to it. Those aren't farmers, they buy the produce at Costco and Walmart. There is small free parking next to it and across the street behind Uncle Billy's.

It's been there as long as I've been going to Kona, 25 years. We avoid that area, I like to park in the free lot off Kaukini near the Swedish Shave Ice place down by the palace, great spot to people watch and enjoy a shave ice with chocolate macnut ice cream in the center.

Also avoid downtown when the cruise ship is there, crowded and they Jack up prices.
3c834ac28ff9d9d10f4422825d830896.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know the lot you are speaking of, its privately owned but the signage makes you think its local govt owned, a well known RIP off spot just like the "farmers market" next to it. Those aren't farmers, they buy the produce at Costco and Walmart. There is small free parking next to it and across the street behind Uncle Billy's.

It's been there as long as I've been going to Kona, 25 years. We avoid that area, I like to park in the free lot off Kaukini near the Swedish Shave Ice place down by the palace, great spot to people watch and enjoy a shave ice with chocolate macnut ice cream in the center.

Also avoid downtown when the cruise ship is there, crowded and they Jack up prices.
3c834ac28ff9d9d10f4422825d830896.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Well it might be a well known spot because to people either being ripped off or communication like you and I are doing from people who know. There is NO SIGNAGE that indicates the rip off pricing which is really what I am complaining about.

We didn't buy anything at this "farmer's market". However, we did buy some great looking local lettuce, papaya, pineapple and tomatoes at the farmer's market in Waikoloa on Wednesday in King's Shops when we stayed in Waikoloa.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
To be clear; when you entered the parking lot and parked your car in a parking spot you did NOT KNOW THE CHARGE. It wasn't posted like it is in parking garages that I have seen in New York City. After you and perhaps the people in your party exited the car to find the payment kiosk and put your credit card in the machine you find the exorbitant rate for the privilege of parking in this small town. This is NOT New York City, Honolulu, or other major city where parking your car at Hotels and Timeshares cost $30-$70 a day so you expect to pay to park when you move your car and park in another part of the city. This is a very rural or suburban area that has lots of free parking and apparently some rip off parking.
If you feel it's a rip off because they don't post the price, but you know how much it is before you pay that is your prerogative. Just avoid any lot that doesn't post prices (and any stores that require you to come in to see the prices on the items), and you'll be all set.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The lot we did park in didn't have a price posted either but it was FREE! When you are driving around in a crowded area trying to find a place to get rid of your car so you can enjoy walking around rather than sitting in a car and you see a lot you pull in expecting a reasonable charge for temporarily using a 150 sq. ft piece of land. It is a real pain in the A_ _ to have to move your car again after you find a spot and see that it is a rip off parking lot. Kona is NOT a major city it is really a very small Village. I am surprise that the County of Hawaii and the Village of Kona allows a lot to not post their charges. By the way if Davidvel shops for food requiring prices to be posted on the outside of the store like he advises before going in I guess he remain hungry much of the time!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
The lot we did park in didn't have a price posted either but it was FREE! When you are driving around in a crowded area trying to find a place to get rid of your car so you can enjoy walking around rather than sitting in a car and you see a lot you pull in expecting a reasonable charge for temporarily using a 150 sq. ft piece of land. It is a real pain in the A_ _ to have to move your car again after you find a spot and see that it is a rip off parking lot. Kona is NOT a major city it is really a very small Village. I am surprise that the County of Hawaii and the Village of Kona allows a lot to not post their charges. By the way if Davidvel shops for food requiring prices to be posted on the outside of the store like he advises before going in I guess he remain hungry much of the time!
You missed the analogy to stores not posting prices on the outside. Glad you got a free spot (even though they didn't post.) Lots of rip offs out there as lot owners can charge what they want, and ultimately what people will pay.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't miss the analogy. Supermarkets have soooo many items that it would not be possible to put the prices on the outside of the store, nor do any of them place the prices on the outside of the store. However, parking lots really only have one item to sell a 150 sq ft piece of land for some short period of time. Parking lots and garages do posts their prices. We are in Honolulu now and, while we don't have a car as usual, this city that is much larger and has a lot more to do than Kona and I know there are parking prices of $1/hour posted here. While not the only reason, my experience in Kona confirms my preference for living in Honolulu over the other Hawaiian Islands where you need a car.