• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parking at Orange Lake River Island

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hey Tuggers,

Planning out the details of our May trip to OLCC River Island. We're flying into MCO Orlando, and wondering about how to get to the resort from the airport. Is there some kind of shuttle service available, or is a rental car a better way to go? Does OLCC charge a parking fee? There will be four of us, and we're going to want a car for at least a few days of the week we'll be there. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just get a rental car for the week at the airport and drive to the resort. Anyone with experience there have any advice to share? Thanks!

Dave

lucillec

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
i would rent a car...there is a shuttle service..but i believe with the cost it is worth having your own car. there are no parking fees at OLCC. There are shuttles to the parks for a cost as well, but the convenience of having your own transportation and on your on schedule is worth the cost. THey do have car rentals at the resort...put from what i recall, a bit on the high side. have you been tothe OL website? there is a transportation dept..they can provide details to you. Enjoy your stay there...RI is very very nice.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Lucille. (And Marty, for your email.) I'll go for the car, and relax. This vacation is all about kicking back with no heavy plans. I've heard such great things about RI, I can't wait to see it!

Dave

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back Way

What time in May are you going? If it is around Memorial Day, the traffic can be bad, but there is a back way.

I got this from Dick Taylor

You're looking for the way from Rt 192 to Sherberth Road to the Animal Kingdom area and Osceola Parkway.

Continue west on 192 (Irlo Bronson Highway) going under the Route 429 overpass (which is just after OLCC) and get into the left lane at the next traffic light. Turn left onto Black Lake Road and continue to where it ends at Sherberth Road. Turn left onto Sherberth. This road winds along to the intersection with Osceola Parkway (Animal Kingdom Lodge is to the left and entrance to Animal Kingdom Park as well as the way to World Drive is to the right. From that point just follow the signs to the parks (it's a left turn to get onto World Drive to go to Hollywood Studios, Epcot and the Magic Kingdom so you'll probably want to get into the left lane after you go past the Animal Kingdom Park area).

You can also get to Sherberth Road without using Black Lake Road by staying on 192 and continuing to its intersection with Sherberth. When 192 traffic is light that can be just a tiny bit faster. But then 192 traffic isn't always light.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What time in May are you going? If it is around Memorial Day, the traffic can be bad, but there is a back way.

I got this from Dick Taylor

You're looking for the way from Rt 192 to Sherberth Road to the Animal Kingdom area and Osceola Parkway.

Continue west on 192 (Irlo Bronson Highway) going under the Route 429 overpass (which is just after OLCC) and get into the left lane at the next traffic light. Turn left onto Black Lake Road and continue to where it ends at Sherberth Road. Turn left onto Sherberth. This road winds along to the intersection with Osceola Parkway (Animal Kingdom Lodge is to the left and entrance to Animal Kingdom Park as well as the way to World Drive is to the right. From that point just follow the signs to the parks (it's a left turn to get onto World Drive to go to Hollywood Studios, Epcot and the Magic Kingdom so you'll probably want to get into the left lane after you go past the Animal Kingdom Park area).

You can also get to Sherberth Road without using Black Lake Road by staying on 192 and continuing to its intersection with Sherberth. When 192 traffic is light that can be just a tiny bit faster. But then 192 traffic isn't always light.

We check in May 16th, so hope to beat the Memorial Day crowds.

Great information to know. Thanks! I'll put this in the trip file. I don't have much experience driving in the Orlando area, and need all the help we can get. (It was well before I knew about timesharing: Last time we were in Orlando was right after 9-11, when they couldn't get people to fly there. We got r/t airfare from Seattle to Orlando for $125 each, and great prices on a week's stay at a really nice Renaissance hotel, and discounted 4-day Park Hopper passes to WDW. Disney was deserted, but everything was open. No lines anywhere - it was excellent! The whole trip for two cost about $1200 for the week - total. It was great!) This time will be different, because it's all about a quality timeshare experience. Looking forward to it!

Dave

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would rent the car. By the time you figure in the cost of the shuttle both directions for each member of the party, the car rental is less expensive plus you have the freedom of movement. I have been at OLCC on Memorial day for the last 6 years - I don't think traffic has been very bad but then again, I don't get up first thing in the morning and venture out into rush hour traffic to be at the parks by 9. The quickest shortcut is actually through the toll road that goes through OLCC (exit OLCC East Blvd, take a right onto 192, take a right on Western Beltway, and then take a right at the first exit - Disney's Western Way) but it costs you a dollar. The Sherbert/Black Road is quick enough except for two issues on 192. Taking a left onto 192 can take a long time and taking a left off 192 can take a long time - something that must be done if using the Sherberth/Black Lake Road shortcut. I have found it sometimes quicker to just continue on 192 until you get to World Drive but the key is how much traffic as if there is a lot of traffic, then 192 seems to have a lot of stoplights that only seem to turn red when there is a lot of traffic.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
More good info. Thanks! I'm taking a GPS along, so will plan to let it teach me how to get around.

Does OLCC operate a shuttle to WDW or the other parks? I'm remembering a parking fee at WDW, (am I right?), which I'd rather not pay if the four of us will be inside the park all day long. Easier to let them do the driving, and save the rental car for those other excursions.

I've reserved a full size SUV for the week. (Four adults with lots of luggage - seemed like a good idea to get a larger vehicle.) There's talk of going to Cape Canaveral, and also maybe heading to the Gulf Coast. Glad I'm getting unlimited miles! ;)

Dave

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Gary, you are so right. We just returned on Saturday from Orange Lake. We took the exit on Hwy. 429 and paid the dollar and got off at the first exit. The roads were totally empty! We took 429 to and from Animal Kindgom and it was so easy. There was a lot of traffic on 192 during Xmas week, so it was worth spending that $2.00 to travel via 429. This was our first time using this highway.

If you want to do an easy timeshare tour, check them out. We got $50.00 each to use on property for the restaurants and Marketplace. River Island Grill was the best restaurant. The food was great.

Oh, parking at the parks is $12.00 per car/per day.

Last edited:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
The toll road is fairly new, thanks for the information. You could call OLCC and find out the current price of the shuttle, when we checked a number of years ago and it wasn't cheap.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You could call OLCC and find out the current price of the shuttle, when we checked a number of years ago and it wasn't cheap.

I was looking over the OLCC website last night, and seem to recall they said the shuttle from the airport was $17 per person each way. With four of us traveling, that's $136. Yikes! That rental car is looking better all the time!

Dave

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gary, you are so right. We just returned on Saturday from Orange Lake. We took the exit on Hwy. 429 and paid the dollar and got off at the first exit. The roads were totally empty! We took 429 to and from Animal Kindgom and it was so easy. There was a lot of traffic on 192 during Xmas week, so it was worth spending that $2.00 to travel via 429. This was our first time using this highway.

If you want to do an easy timeshare tour, check them out. We got $50.00 each to use on property for the restaurants and Marketplace. River Island Grill was the best restaurant. The food was great.

Oh, parking at the parks is $12.00 per car/per day.

Going back to OLCC from WDW is actually quick. You can head towards the Animal Kingdom. Once on the road that leads to the Animal Kingdom, stay in the left lane. You don't want to go to the Animal Kingdom but rather the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The road will veer left just before the Animal Kingdom toll road. Take this left and head toward the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Stay in the left lane and at the light (Sherberth Road), take a left. You keep driving until you hit a light and take a right (192) or just before the light, take a right on Black Lake Road. It is easy to miss this turn as Sherberth takes a sharp right at this point and the turn onto Black Lake is at this turn. The turn is probably, 100 - 200 feet from the stoplight so if you miss getting onto Black Lake, just take the right at the stoplight. Once on Black Lake Road, continue until it hits a light and turn right (192). Black Lake Road runs parallel to 192 but at the end, it takes a sharp left and crosses 192. The light is at the end of the sharp left turn.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Oh, cool. I didn't realize this short cut. I do know about Black Lake Rd., but I always made a right at the end onto Hwy 192. I will keep this for future reference when going to my resort, Summer Bay. I could have saved my $2.00 on I-429, but it was all clear.