• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paris travel questions

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Hi, we are planning our first trip to Paris for late April/ early May (including the May 1st holiday) with another couple and would like some suggestions / advice as we make some specific plans:
- is the hop on, hop off tour busses a good way for first timers to see Paris? We plan to do that on the day we arrive after overnight flight. Any specific company to use? Some pre purchased tickets include “skip the line “ access to the Louvre or other Museums or attractions. Are these the way to go?
- Eiffel Tower- daytime or nighttime? On our own or with a tour group for skip the line access? What are the different levels of the tower? We do not wish to climb many levels of stairs.
- Moulin Rouge- best way to get tickets? A group plan like through Marriott Moments or other group? Best seating suggestions?
- River Siene dinner cruise- many options and boats . Suggestions for the better ones?
- day trip to Versailles- on our own or with a tour group I.e Marriott Moments?
- any other MUST See suggestions.

I know all have their preferences but any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
How many days ? Hop on Hop off buses are good for hitting the top tourist spots. Good for day 1 to get a feel of the city, but I would not depend on them for all my transport. I have used the metro pass and museum pass to be able to "self direct" my tour plans. https://en.parisinfo.com/what-to-see-in-paris/paris-pass/transport-travel-card-paris-visite. For me, the ability to use the metro when I want to go where I want (with in the zones I bought) is great.

If you haven't booked your hotel yet, try to make sure you are near a metro location if you want to use the pass. I have been to the top of the eiffel tower and not really worth the wait. It is worth visiting for a selfie nearby, but for me the top was nice but took too much time. The view from sacre coeur is wonderful and free. Same for Moulin Rouge - at least for me, shows are expensive and may be iconic, but I'd rather have 5 fantastic meals in little restaurants for the cost. Versailles is a bit of a haul from Paris, but that is really worth it. I don't like tour groups as, while they can offer info and take questions, the structured keep moving modus operandi annoys me. That's me though. Musee D'Orsay is a wonderful museum. No pictures tho. The louvre is photo friendly. Notre Dame is a must see as well. I personally like the catacombs, but that is not for everyone. Same with cemeteries. I am a bit of a fan of the gothic and Paris has fantastic cemeteries.

Paris has great food and wine, I like the prix fixe mid day meals as my big meal and a smaller supper. That's just me.

What ever you do, enjoy, it's a fantastic place to visits.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Thanks Tombanjo for the prompt and useful response. We will be in Paris only 5 nights and thought of the bus for the 1st day to get the lay of the land.
We are staying at the Marriott Hotel on the Champs Ellysee which I thought was a good location. Too late to change now.
Some very good tips we will certainly consider (like not going up the Eiffel Tower). Thanks,
Brian

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks..... We will be in Paris only 5 nights and thought of the bus for the 1st day to get the lay of the land.
Brian

The hop on hop off bus is worthwhile - especially as an overview . Sit on the upper level to see more .
We hopped off near Eiffel Tower & walked around , but crowded - went to a nearby side street & had mid day dinner at a 5 table restaurant .

We spent Easter weekend (3) days / mid April 2014 .
Bring a windbreaker and sweater etc in a knapsack - so you can layer - based on weather .

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
buy metro pass on second day. Metro George V is a five minute walk from Marriott Champs Elysees. Lovely location, walk to arc de triomphe, probably hop on/off bus locations there.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We did a HO/HO bus on Day 1 in London, so it should be fine for Paris.
You could hop off at the Eiffel or a museum (we rode the metro).
Get a city or museum pass which lets you skip the lines for the Louvre.
Eiffel Tower: It won't be very crowded that early in the tourist season.
We rode the elevator all the way to the top. It has glass walls & sways.
-- We loved it.
River Seine: I'd do a short-ride, not a dinner cruise. It's not that scenic.
Versailles: You can take a regional train on your own. Its a short walk.
Moulin Rouge: You may want to do a tour (Viator/Greyline) for transit.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
The Paris metro and busses are great. The metro will get you around fast, and the busses will give you a collection of inexpensive tours at a slower pace. Read about passes at https://www.ratp.fr/en/titres-et-tarifs and read about bus routes good for sightseeing at https://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/paris-7-public-buses-that-are-great-for-cheapo-sightseeing.html -- in fact, visit eurocheapo for a lot of suggestions.

If your trip is all or mostly in the same Monday-to-Sunday week, and you're planning on taking the Metro to or from either airport, consider the weekly Navigo pass. For shorter stays, or if your visit is not in the same calendar week, the Paris Visite is better. For the Navigo, bring photos of your head, about 2/3 the size of a US passport photo. You can make them in the machines in the airport too, but that takes several minutes.

For Versailles, you definitely need to be there a little before they open. The garden opens at 8, the palace at 9. Buy tickets online beforehand so you can skip that line, but the security line must be endured and in our experience it was nothing at 9, but mobbed by 10. To avoid all that, take a tour in English, booked online now so you can get the time you like. No line for tickets since you have them already, you enter through an entirely different gate from the mob, the security line is almost nothing, you get a very good tour, about 90 minutes I think, and then are left in the palace to continue yourself. Versailles is closed on Monday. If you go on the RER train, note which of the three stations you want (Versailles Château Rive Gauche) and if you're buying separate tickets for this, buy a round trip one so you don't have to buy your return ticket in the smallish, crowded Versailles station.

Versailles is huge, and I haven't even mentioned Marie-Antoinette's village, which is charming beyond all belief and worth a half-day by itself if the weather is good. A 5-day visit to Paris probably won't permit a second day at Versailles, but they have a 2-day ticket that's a deal. And the website is extremely helpful. If, for some reason, you arrive at the Versailles station not-very-early and without a tour booked, there will be a young person offering tours on the steps of the station, and there's a tour office across the street. These will be a little more expensive than my suggestion above, but will get you in without as much wait as going by yourself.

The Eiffel tower line is now complicated by the security situation, so we didn't go up. It's fun to watch, and it's beautiful at night, especially from Trocadero Park just across the river, so you can see it all. If you eat near there, and do it at American times (6-7pm), you can find plenty of non-reserved availability. We ate at La Terrasse des Vedettes, which has indoor and outdoor seating, good food, unstuffy service, and reasonable prices.

Have a great time! Contrary to rumor, we found everyone very nice. The non-European French (immigrants from Africa and all over the world) are particularly pleasant, and everyone is delighted if you greet them in even three words of French.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
We liked l'orangerie museum, saw my first Picasso there and they have Monet's Water Lillies "in the round". It's in Place de la Concorde.

For something different take the Metro out to La Defense, the Grand Arch is in perfect alignment with the Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre pyramid.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
The Hop On/Hop Off bus can be a good way to get a feel for the city on an initial visit, especially if you are jet-lagged on your first day. But I agree with others, I would not use it for general transportation. If you wish to use the "skip the line" feature check to see if it only applies on the day of your ticket validity. If so, maybe pick one venue, such as the Louvre.

For getting around, the Paris Métro and bus network is fantastic, but also get out and walk. It is a fantastic walking city, like London, Rome and NYC. With only 5 days, and one of those a visit to Versailles (definitely recommended) and another on the HOHO, you will probably stay within zone 1 for the other days.

In that case, consider getting Metro t+ tickets, rather than a Paris Visite card. IME, you really need to take multiple trips each day on a Paris Visite card to make it worthwhile. IMO, it is much more flexible (and usually cheaper) to purchase a 10-ticket carnet (pronounced "car-nay") for 14.90€ (versus a single ticket of 1.90€). You also don't need separate passes for each person. Just tear off a ticket for each person for each trip. Each ticket is good on any day for multiple transfers within a 2-hour time limit. You can use the tickets anywhere in zone 1 on the Métro, buses or RER. You can always buy another carnet, if you use up the first one. You can purchase them from ticket booths or vending machines in any station and at many retail locations.

In five days you will be pressed to fit everything in. Over the years, I have spent in total almost a month in Paris and still have not seen everything I want, if that is even possible. But a Seine river cruise is highly recommended to give you another perspective on many of the city's great monuments. While a dinner cruise is enjoyable (Paris is the City of Lights), a shorter day cruise might be better this trip.

A trip up the Eiffel Tower gives you a good vista of central Paris, even at the first level, but I recommend going to the second level. The very top (third level) is quite small. If you have a fear of heights, like my DW, not recommended to go to the top. You will not likely have time in your short visit to go both in day and at night, due to the lines. I would recommend during the day, but come back to see the Tower in the dark, since there is a light display on the Tower for 5 minutes every hour on the hour after sundown. I particularly enjoyed seeing it from the right bank of the Seine.

Another must see, that also has a great view of the city, is the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur. You will have seen it from the Eiffel Tower viewing platforms and now you get to look back and see the Eiffel Tower and the rest of the city from a different perspective. It is also a beautiful church. And you can use your carnet ticket from the Métro on the Montmartre funicular to get there from the Métro station.

If you choose to go to the viewing area from the Dome on the top, be forewarned there are no elevators. It is about 300 steps to the top, not counting the steps to get to the ground-level plaza, if you choose not to use the funicular! Another great vista point in Paris is the top of the Arc de Triomphe. You get great views down all the radial arms of major streets that converge on Place Charles-de-Gaulle (Place de l'Étoile). It is also fun to watch the maneuvering below of the traffic as the vehicles enter, circle, and exit the traffic circle around the monument.

I love both the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay. They are very different. You will have to choose which you might prefer.

The Louvre is an ancient palace with Old Masters and antiquities and is so big, you cannot possibly cover it in one visit. One of my favourite parts in the Louvre is the Galérie d'Apollon, a spectacular hall in its own right, where the former Crown Jewels of France are located, together with many exquisite masterpieces of metalwork and jewels.

The Musée d'Orsay is much more modern and bright inside, with its large expanses of glass. It is a much more recent and beautifully executed transformation of a former rail station, now holding the works of the Modern Masters. And with respect to photography in the Musée d'Orsay, it is now permitted again, as long as you are not using flash or a tripod. General photography was only banned from 2009 until 2015.

With all the other things to see in Paris in a short visit, you will not likely get to all of these spots. Also, there are many other places we haven't even touched on. There is so much to see: wandering in the Tuileries and Luxembourg Gardens and surrounding areas, the Paris Opéra (both old and new), Notre-Dame, Place Vendôme, Place des Vosges, the Marais, Parc Monceau, the Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe to the Tuileries and so much more. The list goes on and on.

There is so much to see and do in Paris. You can only start to chip away at it in 5 days. Enjoy your visit.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We generally don't use the Hop on Hop off buses enough to pay for them. Usually get on with good intentions but then find that we can get about ourselves without hunting the next stop and waiting. The exception would be on dreary rainy days or when we are very tired. Then we might just get on one and ride the whole route to take an area in.

You could check on Trip Advisor and see if there are any small group or private tour guides to hire for Versailles. It's been a very long time since we were there but well worth it. I wonder if they have head sets now to provide guidance. So many places that used to have tour guides do not any more.

I agree with Tombanjo. The Catacombs and cemeteries are really cool! Our teenaged daughter really loved them.

We also loved the Flea Market! https://www.parisperfect.com/plan-your-trip/things-to-see/markets/paris-flea-markets.php. Encountered our first ever Turkish toilet there. It's been a conversation topic ever since. :)

Enjoy! It's a beautiful city!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Hop On/Hop Off bus can be a good way to get a feel for the city on an initial visit, especially if you are jet-lagged on your first day. But I agree with others, I would not use it for general transportation. If you wish to use the "skip the line" feature check to see if it only applies on the day of your ticket validity. If so, maybe pick one venue, such as the Louvre.

For getting around, the Paris Métro and bus network is fantastic, but also get out and walk. It is a fantastic walking city, like London, Rome and NYC. With only 5 days, and one of those a visit to Versailles (definitely recommended) and another on the HOHO, you will probably stay within zone 1 for the other days.

In that case, consider getting Metro t+ tickets, rather than a Paris Visite card. IME, you really need to take multiple trips each day on a Paris Visite card to make it worthwhile. IMO, it is much more flexible (and usually cheaper) to purchase a 10-ticket carnet (pronounced "car-nay") for 14.90€ (versus a single ticket of 1.90€). You also don't need separate passes for each person. Just tear off a ticket for each person for each trip. Each ticket is good on any day for multiple transfers within a 2-hour time limit. You can use the tickets anywhere in zone 1 on the Métro, buses or RER. You can always buy another carnet, if you use up the first one. You can purchase them from ticket booths or vending machines in any station and at many retail locations.

In five days you will be pressed to fit everything in. Over the years, I have spent in total almost a month in Paris and still have not seen everything I want, if that is even possible. But a Seine river cruise is highly recommended to give you another perspective on many of the city's great monuments. While a dinner cruise is enjoyable (Paris is the City of Lights), a shorter day cruise might be better this trip.

A trip up the Eiffel Tower gives you a good vista of central Paris, even at the first level, but I recommend going to the second level. The very top (third level) is quite small. If you have a fear of heights, like my DW, not recommended to go to the top. You will not likely have time in your short visit to go both in day and at night, due to the lines. I would recommend during the day, but come back to see the Tower in the dark, since there is a light display on the Tower for 5 minutes every hour on the hour after sundown. I particularly enjoyed seeing it from the right bank of the Seine.

Another must see, that also has a great view of the city, is the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur. You will have seen if from the Eiffel Tower viewing platforms and now you get to look back and see the Eiffel Tower and the rest of the city from a different perspective. It is also a beautiful church. And you can use your carnet ticket from the Métro on the Montmartre funicular to get there from the Métro station.

If you choose to go to the viewing area from the Dome on the top, be forewarned there are no elevators. It is about 300 steps to the top, not counting the steps to get to the ground-level plaza, if you choose not to use the funicular! Another great vista point in Paris is the top of the Arc de Triomphe. You get great views down all the radial arms of major streets that converge on Place Charles-de-Gaulle (Place de l'Étoile). It is also fun to watch the maneuvering below of the traffic as the vehicles enter, circle, and exit the traffic circle around the monument.

I love both the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay. They are very different. You will have to choose which you might prefer.

The Louvre is an ancient palace with Old Masters and antiquities and is so big, you cannot possibly cover it in one visit. One of my favourite parts in the Louvre is the Galérie d'Apollon, a spectacular hall in its own right, where the former Crown Jewels of France are located, together with many exquisite masterpieces of metalwork and jewels.

The Musée d'Orsay is much more modern and bright inside, with its large expanses of glass. It is a much more recent and beautifully executed transformation of a former rail station, now holding the works of the Modern Masters. And with respect to photography in the Musée d'Orsay, it is now permitted again, as long as you are not using flash or a tripod. General photography was only banned from 2009 until 2015.

With all the other things to see in Paris in a short visit, you will not likely get to all of these spots. Also, there are many other places we haven't even touched on. There is so much to see: wandering in the Tuileries and Luxembourg Gardens and surrounding areas, the Paris Opéra (both old and new), Notre-Dame, Place Vendôme, Place des Vosges, the Marais, Parc Monceau, the Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe to the Tuileries and so much more. The list goes on and on.

There is so much to see and do in Paris. You can only start to chip away at it in 5 days. Enjoy your visit.
Thanks Canuktrvlr for a great revjew.

Another must see, that also has a great view of the city, is the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur. You will have seen if from the Eiffel Tower viewing platforms and now you get to look back and see the Eiffel Tower and the rest of the city from a different perspective. It is also a beautiful church. And you can use your carnet ticket from the Métro on the Montmartre funicular to get there from the Métro station.

Thanks Canuck Travlr for a great review!!

Richard

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks Canuck Travlr for a great review!!

Richard

You're welcome, Richard. And thank you.

You could check on Trip Advisor and see if there are any small group or private tour guides to hire for Versailles. It's been a very long time since we were there but well worth it. I wonder if they have head sets now to provide guidance. So many places that used to have tour guides do not any more. /QUOTE]

The last time we were there they had audio guides available. It was terrific, since you could go at your own pace and listen or re-listen to the narrative at each station. I understand from friends who have visited Versailles more recently that they now offer a smartphone app that includes the audio guides and an interactive map. You can download it ahead of time off the website. Talk about progress!

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Everyone, thank you very much for all of the great recommendations, ideas, tips and cautions. Yes, I realize we won’t nearly be able to cover all of the ground needed in a short 5 night stay in Paris. From your recommendations i have a much better idea of priorities and logistics to make the most of our time there.
We do intend to do a lot of walking around Paris. I work in NYC and I walk all around mid town every day during lunch time so I know that is the best way to see a city. I want to make sure we stop at plenty of cafes, drink lots of coffee and wine, eat croissants and cheese and people watch too!
We can’t wait to finally see this beautiful city!
Thanks very much again all and keep the suggestions coming!
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We also loved the Flea Market! https://www.parisperfect.com/plan-your-trip/things-to-see/markets/paris-flea-markets.php. Encountered our first ever Turkish toilet there. It's been a conversation topic ever since. :)

Enjoy! It's a beautiful city!

LOL!!! Yes, the Turkish toilets. We ran across them for the first time one year when driving from Paris to Lyon. It was a small roadside rest station on the autoroute. I was fine, but my DW decided she could wait until we got to one of the main rest centres. :eek:

It has also been a topic of conversation more than once over the intervening years. :D

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Other previous Tug Threads: 13 Places in Paris You Need to See Before They Get Too Expensive

Paris Tours

36 Hours in Paris: On the Seine

Paris - Public Outdoor Urinals

Tourists Frustrated As Eiffel Tower Closes in Peak Season

The 'Mona Lisa' May Leave the Louvre for the First Time in 44 Years

and not from a Tug Post: 66 Things to Do and See in Paris
By Sarah Lindig/ Culture/ Bazaar/ harpersbazaar.com

"From the classic landmarks to the lesser-known gems, we've rounded up some of the most entertaining, most exquisite, and most quintessentially Parisian attractions and activities the city has to offer....."

90c7be36-7ec0-48af-bc29-cd00991f9c44.jpg

Richard

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we were in Paris we used the Metro a lot. We would plot where we wanted to go that day. Then use the Metro to get close. We did a lot of walking. You can buy packets of tickets at most Tobacco Shops. We skipped the Louve. We did do the Musee d'Orsay and Musee l'Orangerie. I can sit and enjoy the Water Lilies for hours. It helped that we had spent a day the week bedore at Giverny. In the d'Orsay go to the top floor and work your way down. We stayed in Vincennes at the Royal Regency. We also enjoyed Sacre-Coeur. We took the steps up and then walked down the side streets. Also greatly enjoyed Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle. A quick street meal near Notre Dame is Baguttes split and cooked with hot dogs and cheese.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
What we've done in London, Paris and Prague is do a search along the lines of "music in historic places". Our best find that way was Vivaldi's Four Seasons at Saint Chapelle in Paris one year. The performances allow you to linger in a venue you might have toured fairly quickly, and sitting for the performance in a historic building, often at night, is fabulous.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
...The last time we were there they had audio guides available. It was terrific, since you could go at your own pace and listen or re-listen to the narrative at each station. I understand from friends who have visited Versailles more recently that they now offer a smartphone app that includes the audio guides and an interactive map. You can download it ahead of time off the website. Talk about progress!

That is good news. I hate being rushed through when I am enthralled with a place and its history, though it is nice to be able to ask questions of a tour guide.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
That is good news. I hate being rushed through when I am enthralled with a place and its history, though it is nice to be able to ask questions of a tour guide.

That sounds awesome! So we should bring our headphones... great tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk