• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paris attacks 13 November 2015

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this was calculated to have international impact:

-An American Band Concert
-A Soccer Match with Germany (French Pres. in attendance)
-A Cambodian Restaurant

Agreed....

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our thoughts and prayers are with the French today. God bless them and guide them through this dark time.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Paris

So very sad and horrible. It's a scary world out there. Our feet touched ground in Paris on a train station platform on Nov 1 as we briefly stopped while taking the Belmond Simplon Orient Express from Venice to London. Was hoping to take my granddaughter soon to Paris. Gives one pause. In more than one way!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently finished reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Old Ben made it clear that without the support of France we would never have prevailed with the Revolutionary War. Viva La France!!

George

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason that I've never taken the "Chunnel" is my claustrophobia. Many people say that the underwater part is not that bad.

I prefer the ferry as I like crossing the English Channel via the top and watching the approach to the Continent. Have done this twice on Brittany Ferries. It was great.

In the back of my mind I've always thought that it was a prime terrorist target as well. That's a consideration, but not the main one

There are factions who would like to inflict monumental carnage/damage on both the French and British with one fell swoop.

-

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently finished reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Old Ben made it clear that without the support of France we would never have prevailed with the Revolutionary War. Viva La France!!

George

It is time for all the nations in the UN to join together and form a strike force and defeated this enemy.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this is timed to derail the big climate summit that starts in three weeks or so. The Weather Channel was filming for a special right when the events took place; Sam Champion, Al Gore, the Mayor of Paris and other high profile people were right there at the Arc de Triomphe. What triggers these actions created in the minds of crazed young men who want a world that conforms to their narrow and unforgiving perspectives. I too love Paris and the entire country and grieve today in "solidarite".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Some one has started a fire at the Calais refugee center. This facility is the current home of about 6000 Syrians and North Africans. The population is comprised of mostly young men.

My thought is if it was a vigilante group, they really screwed up because they just helped a large number of detainees to escape into Paris. If it was the detainees that started the fire, they are trying to escape for reasons of their own.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/calais-migrant-camp-on-fire-6830330

Bill

The refugee centre isn't a detention centre so it's not somewhere that people would seek to escape from. People are free to come and go as they please.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
It is time for all the nations in the UN to join together and form a strike force and defeated this enemy.

I'm afraid this isn't the sort of thing that can be defeated by force. It was believed that the Taliban could be defeated and that would solve a problem. Likewise Al Quaeda and ISIS. When you have an unlimited number of people willing to sacrifice their lives and kill others based on a twisted interpretation of a religious text there will always be a problem irrespective of what they call themselves.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Russians, Europe, the US, and many other countries have already joined the fight. Who else do you have in mind?

The ones that could have influence would be the moderates of that particular mindset (parsing my words carefully here). As long as these idiots actually believe they are going to heaven to be with their 90 virgins, when do you think it's going end? The moderates need to speak up against these lunatics, but unfortunately they do and say basically nothing. Somehow they need to feel some responsibility here, but we live in a current society where everyone is on pins and needles about speaking against this "mindset", so we'll just wait for the next episode, I guess, and bring more of them over here.

Sorry, but I'm really getting tired of the hollow words by our leadership (both past and present).

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Russians, Europe, the US, and many other countries have already joined the fight. Who else do you have in mind?

The ones that could have influence would be the moderates of that particular mindset (parsing my words carefully here). As long as these idiots actually believe they are going to heaven to be with their 90 virgins, when do you think it's going end? The moderates need to speak up against these lunatics, but unfortunately they do and say basically nothing. Somehow they need to feel some responsibility here, but we live in a current society where everyone is on pins and needles about speaking against this "mindset", so we'll just wait for the next episode, I guess, and bring more of them over here.

Sorry, but I'm really getting tired of the hollow words by our leadership (both past and present).

Somewhere in the complicated maze regarding calling Daesh what it clearly is to those outside this belief (faith), the mere act of calling them out makes one an infidel. Their false advocacy somehow will be dealt with by Allah. There's no pain too great (supposedly) to impose a change. They are apocalyptic and closed. I thought it was 72 virgins- not sure, don't care.
The only way is to be better than they are, including those that follow that book.

My heart and prayers are with the family and victims.

An old French girlfriend had called me from France on 9/11/01 sobbing in sympathy for all those in the USA, too bad I lost her number. Vive la France

Last edited:

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of France. What a tragic situation.

Dori

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Angela Merkel is having second thoughts about the welcome mat she has extended to the many thousands who cannot possibly all be vetted.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The stadium could have been much worse - from the Wall Street Journal:

PARIS—At least one of the attackers outside France’s national soccer stadium had a ticket to the game and attempted to enter the 80,000-person venue, according to a Stade de France security guard who was on duty and French police.

The guard—who asked to be identified only by his first name, Zouheir—said the attacker was discovered wearing an explosives vest when he was frisked at the entrance to the stadium about 15 minutes into the game.

While attempting to back away from security, Zouheir said, the attacker detonated the vest.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacker-tried-to-enter-paris-stadium-but-was-turned-away-1447520571

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Chunnel

One reason that I've never taken the "Chunnel" is my claustrophobia. Many people say that the underwater part is not that bad.

I prefer the ferry as I like crossing the English Channel via the top and watching the approach to the Continent. Have done this twice on Brittany Ferries. It was great.

In the back of my mind I've always thought that it was a prime terrorist target as well. That's a consideration, but not the main one

There are factions who would like to inflict monumental carnage/damage on both the French and British with one fell swoop.

-

It was my first time through 13 days ago and I had not prepared. I had no idea how it worked. We had to leave our train at Calais and board a big bus, drive awhile and then get off and go through British Immigration and get back on. Then we waited in one of many lines with the A/C running full blast. Our bus was in the outside lane. Hubby and I were sitting backwards in the bus and I was looking at all the razor wire fencing with "no man's land" in between fences and hubby was telling me he thought someone had snuck through the Chunnel from the Calais side just the week before. Oh great! When we started moving again I could see metal walls right up against us and every now and then small windows near ground level but I only saw concrete paving out them. Then the bus shut down. I panicked. I thought we were driving through the Chunnel and had broken down in it. I didn't know we had driven into a "container" of sorts that would be pulled by an engine. The A/C had been blasting because it was to be turned off for the duration of the trip through. It did get warm before we got out. I don't recall feeling the movement through. Just wanting it to be over! I think the ferry next time.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Germany Probes Paris Link After Arrest of Man Smuggling Arms - by Johannes Koch / News/ BloombergBusiness/ bloomberg.com

"German authorities are investigating whether a man arrested in the southern state of Bavaria last week has ties to the perpetrators of Friday’s terror attacks in Paris after discovering assault weapons and explosives in his vehicle.

“There’s a link to France but it hasn’t been established that there’s a link to this attack,” Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere told reporters in Berlin on Saturday. Officials found “very dangerous weapons” in the man’s car and a Paris address entered into the navigation unit. “Whether there’s a connection is being investigated,” de Maiziere said..."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What Paris's Night of Horror Means for Europe - from the Economist/ News/ Europe/ The Economist/ economist.com

"THE series of terrorist attacks in Paris last night, which appear to have claimed the lives of up to 140 people, was the nightmare scenario that Western intelligence and security agencies have been warning against for years. Ever since a commando-style raid by a jihadist group in Mumbai eight years ago that killed 166 people and lasted for four days, there have been fairly regular instances of similar plots either being uncovered or turning out to be false alarms. But as the IRA once grimly warned: “You have to be lucky every time; we only have to be lucky once.”

What has clearly greatly increased Europe’s vulnerability to such attacks is the continuing civil war on its doorstep in Syria and the emergence of Islamic State (IS) as an even more potent magnet for would-be jihadists than al-Qaeda (AQ). While so-called “core” AQ in the badlands of Pakistan’s tribal areas has withered under assault from America’s drones, IS has gone from strength to strength. With its rampage through Iraq last summer, its pretensions to establish a caliphate and its slick exploitation of social media to publicise its successes and brutalities, IS has radicalised, recruited and trained many thousands of young European Muslims, not least in France..."

20151114_eup509.jpg

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Three Teams of Coordinated Attackers Carried Out Assault on Paris, Officials Say; Hollande Blames ISIS - By Adam Nossiter, Aurelien
Breeden and Katrin Bennholdnov/ World/ Europe/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"PARIS — Three teams of Islamic State attackers acting in unison carried out the terrorist assault in Paris on Friday night, officials said Saturday, including one assailant who may have traveled to Europe on a Syrian passport along with the flow of migrants.

“It is an act of war that was committed by a terrorist army, a jihadist army, Daesh, against France,” President François Hollande told the nation from the Élysée Palace, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State. “It is an act of war that was prepared, organized and planned from abroad, with complicity from the inside, which the investigation will help establish.”..."

Richard

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rick Steves

Rick Steves:

After Friday’s horrifying events in Paris, as we keep the victims and their families in our prayers and marvel at how violent hatred can express itself, it’s natural for those of us with travels coming up to wonder what is the correct response. Let me share my thoughts:

I have two fundamental concerns: what is safe, and what is the appropriate response to terrorism.
About safety, I believe this is an isolated incident. Tomorrow Paris will be no more dangerous than it was the day before that terrible Friday the 13th. I also believe that security in Paris and throughout Europe will be heightened in response to this attack. Remember: There’s an important difference between fear and risk.

About the right response to terrorism, I believe we owe it to the victims of this act not to let the terrorist win by being terrorized. That’s exactly the response they are hoping for. Sure, it’s natural for our emotions to get the best of us. But, especially given the impact of sensational media coverage, we need to respond intelligently and rationally.
In 2004, Madrid suffered a terrorist bombing in its Metro, which killed 191 and injured 1,800. In 2005, London suffered a similar terrorist bombing in its Tube system, killing 52 and injuring 700. These societies tightened their security, got the bad guys, and carried on. Paris will, too.

I’m sure that many Americans will cancel their trips to Paris (a city of 2 million people) or the rest of Europe (a continent of 500 million people), because of an event that killed about 150. As a result, ironically, they’ll be staying home in a country of 320 million people that loses over 30,000 people a year (close to 100 people a day) to gun violence.

Again, our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Paris, the victims, and their loved ones. And it remains my firmly held belief that the best way for Americans to fight terrorism is to keep on traveling.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
After Friday’s horrifying events in Paris, as we keep the victims and their families in our prayers and marvel at how violent hatred can express itself, it’s natural for those of us with travels coming up to wonder what is the correct response. Let me share my thoughts:

I have two fundamental concerns: what is safe, and what is the appropriate response to terrorism.
About safety, I believe this is an isolated incident. Tomorrow Paris will be no more dangerous than it was the day before that terrible Friday the 13th. I also believe that security in Paris and throughout Europe will be heightened in response to this attack. Remember: There’s an important difference between fear and risk.

About the right response to terrorism, I believe we owe it to the victims of this act not to let the terrorist win by being terrorized. That’s exactly the response they are hoping for. Sure, it’s natural for our emotions to get the best of us. But, especially given the impact of sensational media coverage, we need to respond intelligently and rationally.
In 2004, Madrid suffered a terrorist bombing in its Metro, which killed 191 and injured 1,800. In 2005, London suffered a similar terrorist bombing in its Tube system, killing 52 and injuring 700. These societies tightened their security, got the bad guys, and carried on. Paris will, too.

I’m sure that many Americans will cancel their trips to Paris (a city of 2 million people) or the rest of Europe (a continent of 500 million people), because of an event that killed about 150. As a result, ironically, they’ll be staying home in a country of 320 million people that loses over 30,000 people a year (close to 100 people a day) to gun violence.

Again, our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Paris, the victims, and their loved ones. And it remains my firmly held belief that the best way for Americans to fight terrorism is to keep on traveling.

I can't say it better. Our travel plans will not change.

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Nice post, Beags.

I had a fun conversation with a co-worker of mine just yesterday as he was telling me about the trip he and his wife had planned for Paris, leaving next Friday and staying for a week. We talked about the sites they were planning to see; I shared what my wife and I enjoyed on our trip a few years ago. A really nice conversation.

I just saw today on Facebook that they cancelled their trip. I fully understand and not really sure what I would have done in their position, but it makes me sad (and angry) that, in this case, the terrorists won.

Sigh...

Kurt

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice post, Beags.

I had a fun conversation with a co-worker of mine just yesterday as he was telling me about the trip he and his wife had planned for Paris, leaving next Friday and staying for a week. We talked about the sites they were planning to see; I shared what my wife and I enjoyed on our trip a few years ago. A really nice conversation.

I just saw today on Facebook that they cancelled their trip. I fully understand and not really sure what I would have done in their position, but it makes me sad (and angry) that, in this case, the terrorists won.

Sigh...

Kurt

I would have done the same, but reschedule for maybe after Christmas. Not for fear, but rather that Paris will be disrupted for awhile until things settle down a bit. It might also be difficult to capture new accommodations as good locations are heavily booked for near term stays.

For me, I have reservations for September 2016 and we're good to go.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Manhunt Underway as Investigation of Paris Attacks Widens - by Aurelien Breeden and Adam Nossiter/ World/ Europe/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"PARIS — The Paris terrorist attacks were carried out with the help of three French brothers living in Belgium, the authorities said on Sunday, as they asked for the public’s help in finding one of them.

The French authorities said they were seeking Abdeslam Salah, 26, and described him as dangerous. The police warned the public: “Do not intervene on your own, under any circumstances.” Belgian officials said that his brother Ibrahim had died in the three-hour massacre on Friday night, which killed at least 132 people, and that another brother, Mohamed, was detained on Saturday in the Molenbeek area of Brussels..."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
International Manhunt for New Suspect in Paris Terror Attacks - by Henry Chu and Alexandra Zavis/ World/ Los Angeles Times/ latimes.com

"An international manhunt is underway for a suspect in the deadly terror attacks that struck Paris, officials said Sunday as the investigation expanded well outside France.

The French National Police identified the suspect as Abdeslam Salah, a 26-year-old man born in the Belgian capital, Brussels. He is one of three brothers believed to have played a role, according to French news reports, though it was not immediately clear what that might have been.

Belgium officials said that two of who authorities believe were at least seven assailants had lived in and around Brussels, and information from the Balkans suggested that one of the attackers might have entered Europe as a Syrian asylum seeker..."

400x225

Richard