• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parent's worst nightmare [Gabby Petito disappearance]

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been making book on this outcome since shortly after he disappeared himself from this parents' place. Sadly, there will (and are) more questions than answers forthcoming.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this has been covered, my apologies. If the Utah or Wyoming law enforcement people had been more vigilant, there's a chance both these young people would still be alive and their lives could have been redirected to a positive outcome.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was talk earlier about the publicity a blond blue eyed missing person gets and the lack of publicity for minorities. Since that post, I am reading a second novel which is featuring that idea, daughters of the Morning Star. Longmire series. Craig Johnson

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
After reading a CNN report, I think it is odd that, followed by law enforcement, and in the area the parents originally told law enforcement to search, the father suddenly veers off the path, zig-zags through the woods, the officers are left or fall behind, and lo and behold the father finds a white bag and picks it up and brings it to the officers who are catching up to him. Other officers (Were they the ones with the mother who continued forward when the father veered off?) find a backpack and remains near it, both bags containing items belonging to their son. I think I read that the area had been underwater at one time during a previous search. It will be interesting to read whether or not the bags and remains indicate that had been underwater. All the searchers; all the divers and drones. And the father walks right to it and possibly the mother to the rest? Really?

Last edited:

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
I'm no supporter of how this has been handled from the very start but, after the event, even a fool is wise.

geekette

Reaction score
After reading a CNN report, I think it is odd that, followed by law enforcement, and in the area the parents originally told law enforcement to search, the father suddenly veers off the path, zig-zags through the woods, the officers are left or fall behind, and lo and behold the father finds a white bag and picks it up and brings it to the officers who are catching up to him. Other officers (Were they the ones with the mother who continued forward when the father veered off?) find a backpack and remains near it, both bags containing items belonging to their son. I think I read that the area had been underwater at one time during a previous search. It will be interesting to read whether or not the bags and remains indicate that had been underwater. All the searchers; all the divers and drones. And the father walks right to it and possibly the mother to the rest? Really?
Early on I felt that his parents were not to be trusted. He arrives without his girlfriend, who lives at their home. Not clear on what they did, but it seems like obstruction and certainly callous indifference as to what happened to the girl. It's her van. Where is she? No missing persons report for 10 days. That's a massive problem I can't get past.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
Skeletal remains found in Carlton Reserve include ‘badly-decomposed’ skull

According to the FBI, the area where the remains and the items belonging to Laundrie were found was underwater until recently.

“Today when I walked back there, I got to see firsthand the treacherous conditions that they were working on,” Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno said during a news conference Thursday morning. “We’re talking water levels up above almost the chest area, rattlesnakes, moccasins, alligators.”

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf

The local media here reports on this everyday.
Early on I felt that his parents were not to be trusted. He arrives without his girlfriend, who lives at their home. Not clear on what they did, but it seems like obstruction and certainly callous indifference as to what happened to the girl. It's her van. Where is she? No missing persons report for 10 days. That's a massive problem I can't get past.
The daily demonstration outside of Brian Laundrie's parents house has been ongoing. The protestors have been demanding accountability for Gabby Petito's death. The general feeling based on interviews aired by the local media with these protestors is that the Laundrie parents lack of cooperation with the investigation equates to them withholding information from law enforcement.

I can't say if that is true or not.

geekette

Reaction score
The local media here reports on this everyday.

The daily demonstration outside of Brian Laundrie's parents house has been ongoing. The protestors have been demanding accountability for Gabby Petito's death. The general feeling based on interviews aired by the local media with these protestors is that the Laundrie parents lack of cooperation with the investigation equates to them withholding information from law enforcement.

I can't say if that is true or not.
I can't say if it's true or not. I would not go protest on someone's lawn. For me that would be disturbing the peace of the neighbors, and unlikely to cause the family being protested to do anything different than what they are doing.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score

Brian Laundrie timeline: Family attorney details days surrounding disappearance of Brian Laundrie

It's very confusing.

The attorney said that he reported to the FBI on September 13 or September 14 that Brian was missing and that he went for a hike and never came home. The father went to Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Sept. 13 and didn't see anything because it was dark. Both parents returned on September 14, saw Brian's Mustang with a parking. ticket on it and drove it home. At a news conference on September 16, the police chief said they knew where Brian was (i.e. at home). Brian was reported missing by his parents on Sept. 17. At the time, they told police they had last seen him leave home to go to the Carlton Reserve area for a hike on Tuesday, Sept. 14, which they later corrected to September 13.

Here is why the parents went to the park;
“Chris and Roberta decided that, since the Myakkahatchee Park was now open to the public, they would like to go into the park and walk the trails and search for Brian,” Bertolino said.
According to Bertolino, the parents got to the park around 7 a.m. Wednesday and met with the North Port Police Department. When the parents went into the park, Bertolino said law enforcement followed close behind.
“As they walked into the preserve, they walked down the path that had been searched and looked many times before,” Bertolino told us. “Now Chris started to go off the path into the woods. Chris described to me that he was searching in the woods in a zig-zag pattern, apparently law enforcement was doing the same thing and Roberta was maintaining the trail. She was on the trail.”
At some point, Bertolino said, Chris Laundrie found a white dry bag that contained what looked like some of Brian’s belongings. The attorney said Chris did not want to pick the bag up but eventually did because law enforcement crews were not nearby and he didn’t want to leave it there. Bertolino added that Chris didn’t want to yell out to law enforcement because there was a news camera close by.
“[Chris] brought [the bag] toward Roberta. He confirmed with Roberta that was Brian’s belongings and momentarily after that, the law enforcement officer came out of the woods and showed Chris and Roberta a picture of a backpack,” Bertolino said. “Law enforcement said the backpack was found near some remains.”

My comments:
  • I believe the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park was closed to the public for about a month because of the police search. There is no explanation why they only contacted the police after the park reopened. Since the police were searching the park, they could have gone with them any time during the previous month. Perhaps the lawyer thought that it might help a defense to a resisting arrest charge if they volunteered to assist in a search.
  • I am not sure, but it seems the police found the backpack and Brian's remains separately from the parents.
  • Since Bryan is dead, if the prosecutors conclude that that they don't have grounds to charge the parents with obstruction, should they give them immunity and have them testify before the grand jury so that they can ask what Brian said happened in Wyoming.

geekette

Reaction score
  • Since Bryan is dead, if the prosecutors conclude that that they don't have grounds to charge the parents with obstruction, should they give them immunity and have them testify before the grand jury so that they can ask what Brian said happened in Wyoming.

Yes, please. They need to tell.

It's not necessarily the public's right to know anything, but a young lady was murdered, and the best that authorities can get is second hand info from the parents of the likely culprit. It could be that the parents will feel better unburdening themselves. This is obviously not how they imagined they would be spending the fall months when their son and his girlfriend waved goodbye from their camping van.

Tragedy all around.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Forensic pathologist explains what was 'odd' about the scene

Richard

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this has been covered, my apologies. If the Utah or Wyoming law enforcement people had been more vigilant, there's a chance both these young people would still be alive and their lives could have been redirected to a positive outcome.
I look at this differently. Absolutely the local police in Utah botched and should have separated them, put in restraining order and send the girl home. However, if he did not kill Gabby then, he might kill Gabby months later if they were still together. If they had broken up, then his next girlfriend would be subject to the same physical abuse and possibly death. He was physically abusive and possibly suffering from some sort of mental illness.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brian Laundrie: Ex-Police Chief Questions Parents Involvement in Search After Discovery Of Remains.

Richard

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are hundreds of thousands of mild to medium intensity domestic confrontations that don't end in murder. I don't think it's fair to blame law enforcement for not immediately incarcerating one or both.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
There are hundreds of thousands of mild to medium intensity domestic confrontations that don't end in murder. I don't think it's fair to blame law enforcement for not immediately incarcerating one or both.
And many that do end up badly follow incarceration or issuance of a restraining order. There are no easy answers here.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
There are never any choices that fit every domestic situation. I've handled hundreds of these calls and each and every one are different in some way. They can be one of the most dangerous calls to respond to. We all can sit back now and say this or that should have been done and yes, hindsight is 20/20. While I may have done some things differently, I will not question why those officers did what they did. They did what they felt was best for the situation at the time and trust me, they will never stop wondering if something else should have or could have been done.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must of missed somewhere what happened in Wyoming with the police and the couple.....

I believe his parents were aware of Brian's abuse, they lived in same house before the trip

I look at this differently. Absolutely the local police in Wyoming botched and should have separated them, put in restraining order and send the girl home. However, if he did not kill Gabby then, he might kill Gabby months later if they were still together. If they had broken up, then his next girlfriend would be subject to the same physical abuse and possibly death. He was physically abusive and possibly suffering from some sort of mental illness.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if it was learned behavior from his father.....

Also, in regards to law enforcement near Zion NP, yes, the cops made the best call they could. If, however, there had been a trained social worker with experience in domestic cases called out to intervene--rather than police responding to what was quickly determined to not be a law enforcement matter (because no one was arrested or fine issued,) the outcome might have been different. As has been pointed out, these are the calls that cops like the least, so why not send someone who is trained to evaluate and handle them as their specialty?

Last edited: