• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parent's worst nightmare [Gabby Petito disappearance]

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
I always thought that cases like these, and even ones where coverage is local are rather strange. They have a funeral for the person and thousands of people show up. Did these people really have all these connections to the individual or the family? Would the same people have shown up if it were not for all the TV coverage? It just seems that society as a whole clings to these things in an odd way. If I didn't know the person or have any personal connection to the family, I certainly wouldn't show up at the memorial or funeral for their child. Same kind of goes for the people who have put up money for Brian's capture. It seems there is enough coverage and resources already on this, that if someone saw him they would be willing to turn him in for free. That reward money could be better spent elsewhere on other cases.

I also find the term "America's Daughter" in referring to Gabby to be very strange. I don't doubt she was loved by many and what happened is sad and is tragic. That said, the term doesn't seem to sit right.

When a case like this becomes national news and the funeral is open to the public, as this was, many show up simply because they feel a connection. Either a connection to the victim or a connection to the crime. I doubt that as many would have shown up if it were not for the national news coverage, only because not as many would have been aware of the incident. Many had no connection to the family at all but, only wish to pay their respects. Like you, I wouldn't have shown up however, I would never question why anyone else did. That's a question that only they can answer and there is no right or wrong answer.

As for the reward money, l applaud all who have done so. It will bring in many tips and information that may not have been offered if not for the money. Again, not my money and I don't question why people do that. Perhaps we should also question why perfect strangers are willing to help others via "Go Fund Me". Same concept, people just feel the desire to help in any way they can. In this way, it happens to be financial.

The "America's Daughter" tag, as with, "White Women Missing Syndrome", needs to be directed to our news organizations. One can only speculate why this case, above all others, deserves such nationwide attention. People keep asking but, we keep asking the wrong individuals. Ask the program directors of the news organizations. They are the ones that participate in that decision.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
When a case like this becomes national news and the funeral is open to the public, as this was, many show up simply because they feel a connection. Either a connection to the victim or a connection to the crime. I doubt that as many would have shown up if it were not for the national news coverage, only because not as many would have been aware of the incident. Many had no connection to the family at all but, only wish to pay their respects. Like you, I wouldn't have shown up however, I would never question why anyone else did. That's a question that only they can answer and there is no right or wrong answer.

As for the reward money, l applaud all who have done so. It will bring in many tips and information that may not have been offered if not for the money. Again, not my money and I don't question why people do that. Perhaps we should also question why perfect strangers are willing to help others via "Go Fund Me". Same concept, people just feel the desire to help in any way they can. In this way, it happens to be financial.

The "America's Daughter" tag, as with, "White Women Missing Syndrome", needs to be directed to our news organizations. One can only speculate why this case, above all others, deserves such nationwide attention. People keep asking but, we keep asking the wrong individuals. Ask the program directors of the news organizations. They are the ones that participate in that decision.
It's an interesting question. Many feel the national media is not generally a very right leaning body, but regardless, is the implication that they are in fact racist? No one can question the disparity in the numbers, but the question is why?

It is hard for me to fathom that there is a conspiracy to bury missing person stories of the opposite: ugly non white men, or something in between.

It's also hard to believe that media outlets would refuse to publicize quirky missing person cases that are not cute young white girls. Maybe I'm naive.

geekette

Reaction score
One hard question is that assuming Brian admitted to his parents where Gabby's body was hidden, and Brian said that he didn't want the parents to tell the police, should the parents have told the police anyway. Hopefully, none of us will be in a position where we will have to make a decision like that.
Not a hard question. I would tell the police.

It's not about Brian, it's about Gabby. And doing the right thing.

What Brian "wants" doesn't enter into it. He gave up the luxury of having what he wants.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I feel the connection with Gabby after watching her vanlife video, the police video and reading about how she worked multiple jobs to save up for the trip. She could have been anyone's daughter, and hence the label given to her as America's daughter. I don't believe I am racist and I am not white either. To me it is media's BS to say it a "white girl" story.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Personally I feel the connection with Gabby after watching her vanlife video, the police video and reading about how she worked multiple jobs to save up for the trip. She could have been anyone's daughter, and hence the label given to her as America's daughter. I don't believe I am racist and I am not white either. To me it is media's BS to say it a "white girl" story.
Hear hear! And WTHECK about the media complaining about other stories not getting covered...isn't it the media that decides what is given coverage time?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hear hear! And WTHECK about the media complaining about other stories not getting covered...isn't it the media that decides what is given coverage time?

The on-camera news anchors often have no front-facing say at all in the stories/segments that are aired, and for most of them adding personal commentary from the anchor desk would put their jobs in jeopardy. Those decisions are made behind the scenes by producers and oftentimes, the owners. (The best and most widely reported example I can think of to make this point, because of the coverage it generated at the time, is the political commentary that all on-air anchors at Sinclair News outlets were forced to recite as if it were news during the 2018 election. PLEASE don't take this as me commenting on the content itself or whether I agree/disagree with it. This isn't a play to take the thread into "contentious" content territory but simply a well-publicized example of on-air anchors not having a say in what they recite from behind the desk.)

Walter Cronkite got away with it because of his cache after the one and only time he ended a broadcast editorializing the Vietnam War. Gwen Ifill's "Missing White Women Syndrome" commentary during a journalism conference was initially met with outrage such that her bosses didn't immediately support her, but it resonated with enough people that her cache saved her job. Dan Rather, Peter Jennings and Tom Brokaw anchored hours of coverage on 9/11/01 and delved into personal commentary that (unbelievably) was met with some resistance, but of course the circumstances combined with their cache caused that resistance to be completely dismissed.

Commentators/Editorialists are different - they're hired and paid for their opinions as much as for their projectability and likability from behind the camera, although most do have to run their storylines by their producers. Like most I want my news anchors to give me just the news and save the commentary/editorializing for the talking heads shows, except for during extraordinary circumstances. But away from their anchor desks, on the talking heads shows and in their social media feeds - news anchors' opinions are as welcome as any others.

Now back on topic about Gabby Petito, I find the entire three-ring circus to be a tawdry result of America's fascination with reality TV. Most of the people glomming onto it have done so because they want to be a blogger just like her, and they'll move on to the next and the next and the next as if they're contestants in a show called "America's Next Most Self-Absorbed Obsession." Also, I completely agree with Gwen Ifill. ;)

Last edited:

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
If we raise the question about "White Woman Missing Syndrome", does it exist at major news orginazations solely because of some nefarious reason? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

If we look at the top executives of just a few, if not the leading news organizations, would such an act be permitted or even condone to take place? I doubt any of these women would allow such thing to take place. Here are just three.

Kimberly Godwin is an American television executive. In April 2021, Godwin was named president of ABC News making her both the first black person and first black woman to lead a major broadcast news network.

Rashida Jones, an African American, will become president of MSNBC, and the current president, Phil Griffin, will step down after 25 years at the cable news channel, NBC Universal News Group Chairman Cesar Conde announced Monday. Jones, who will take over at MSNBC on Feb. 1, is a senior vice president at NBC News and MSNBC, where she leads breaking news and major events coverage. She also oversees MSNBC's daytime and weekend programming. She will become the most prominent Black woman in the cable news industry.

Wendy McMahon is president and co-head of CBS News, the CBS Television Stations and CBS News Digital. She began her new role in May 2021. During McMahon's tenure at the ABC Owned Television Stations Group, she oversaw the creation of a Race and Culture team as well as the multi-cultural series, Our America.

Just perhaps, could these top executives and leaders in their field, be more concerned about their network ratings?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
OK - that makes sense...

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
The one person who would benefit from ivermectin for deworming.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
It is now up to $170K. https://outsider.com/news/trending/gabby-petito-case-170000-now-reward-info-brian-laundrie-location/

I asked my husband if it is legal for a reward to say "dead or alive" like old cowboy movies.... he said yeah.... NO.

At least give him partial credit.

If a wanted poster declares “Dead or Alive”, no, it doesn't give you the right kill the person. At least without legal consequences. Of course, if that person was to be resisting in some way, particularly in a way that threatened your own life, you could kill them and claim self defense. Also, if no one was around to witness, whose to say the dangerous criminal you killed didn’t actively threaten your life in an imminent way to cause you to defend yourself?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are very sorry that Gabby died. We are sorry for her Family. But it may seem harsh but we are done with it. Can't read the online News without hearing more about it and mostly speculation. Do you realize how many First Nation women, Native American women, Black women, and Asian women disappear every year and do not get 1/10,000 of the publicity. Is all the publicity about Gabby because she is a Blond, Cute, White Womn.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
We are very sorry that Gabby died. We are sorry for her Family. But it may seem harsh but we are done with it. Can't read the online News without hearing more about it and mostly speculation. Do you realize how many First Nation women, Native American women, Black women, and Asian women disappear every year and do not get 1/10,000 of the publicity. Is all the publicity about Gabby because she is a Blond, Cute, White Womn.
Always a good question. Perhaps you should ask the three women executives at the noted major news networks listed above.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is becoming a sad side show at a three ring circus..

Last edited:

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
If it results in just one more killer being made to pay for his crime, it can become a full blown three ring circus as far as I'm concerned.