• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parent's worst nightmare [Gabby Petito disappearance]

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
I was being sarcastic. I did not know they had surrounded guns to the police after he obviously taken off. Obviously, the fact he was presumed armed and on the run was not exactly widely publicized. I did not see any news about finding a gun near the body, and yet they found his back pack (which could float) nearby.

I guess my main point is he in no way had provided closure to the family or took any responsibility for his assumed actions. He died innocent under law and scot-free.

I realize there is no wonderful outcome to the story, but it could have been better by admitting guilt, owning up to his actions, and providing real closure to the victim's family.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am sure he killed himself knowing that the murderer of his girl friend was still at large, and he could not live since that person brutally took her life and left him inconsolable.

And where exactly did he get a gun ? And, since guns do not float (generally) where is it now ?
Wrong! The killer that strangled Gabby hunted Brian down cross-country, lured him out if his parent's basement, then shot him in the swamp. Or (for those that think she killed herself), she came back as a zombie shooter and did him in.
I couldn't come up with a scenario for those that think he is the victim...her parents shot him? :crash:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I live 15 minutes from Carlton where he was found. The Audubon folks have a permit to drive through and I went with them early January. i know the whole area was hot humid and swampy until December, and filled with wild pigs as well as the other wildlife. It’s amazing they found him and the stuff

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
The NBC Miami report leads with ......
Gnawing marks found on remains likely from wild animals, report says
The other possibilities are truly frightening.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
The NBC Miami report leads with ......
Gnawing marks found on remains likely from wild animals, report says
The other possibilities are truly frightening.
What a shame, not.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
It is hard for me to understand why this was of interest to start with and why it still is to this date when so many other women are missing.

Cheers

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a copy of the complaint. The claim is that the Laundrie parents are liable because they refused to answer the Petito parents’ questions about whether Gabbie was alive, and if she was dead where her body was. There is no allegation that the Laundrie parents made any false statements. There is an allegation that Brian told his parents that he had killed Gabbie and that the Laundries were making arrangements for the son to leave the country.

Assuming the allegations can be proven, do you think that the court should rule that Brian’s parents were legally obligated to disclose Brian’s confession to Gabbie’s parents and that they should be held civilly liable for their failure to disclose that Brian killed Gabbie?

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Here is a copy of the complaint. The claim is that the Laundrie parents are liable because they refused to answer the Petito parents’ questions about whether Gabbie was alive, and if she was dead where her body was. There is no allegation that the Laundrie parents made any false statements. There is an allegation that Brian told his parents that he had killed Gabbie and that the Laundries were making arrangements for the son to leave the country.

Assuming the allegations can be proven, do you think that the court should rule that Brian’s parents were legally obligated to disclose Brian’s confession to Gabbie’s parents and that they should be held criminally liable for their failure to disclose that Brian killed Gabbie?
It is a CIVIL complaint so your question about criminal liability is incongruous.

As to the complaint itself it sets forth no causes of action, and the grounds for recovery are unclear. I know it was filed in FL, but in CA it would be subject to a motion to strike.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As to the complaint itself it sets forth no causes of action, and the grounds for recovery are unclear. I know it was filed in FL, but in CA it would be subject to a motion to strike.

I concur.
This shows that a the system can be misused for any $$ grubbing purpose.
Florida does not require anyone to do anything to aid others in distress.
Thus, Laundrie's parents had no affirmative legal duty to Pietro's patents.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
no lawyer here nor do I know one to ask , but what about -

''accessory after the fact '' a person who knowingly aids someone who has committed a crime.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
but what about - ''accessory after the fact?"

That's a criminal concept. It requires an overt act in furtherance,
more than mere knowledge. If it could be shown they actually
lied about his actions to conceal them, then maybe.
But merely saying nothing, is not.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
no lawyer here nor do I know one to ask , but what about -

''accessory after the fact '' a person who knowingly aids someone who has committed a crime.

Florida has a criminal statute covering accessory after the fact. It applies where the accessory maintains or assists or aids the criminal, with the intent that the criminal avoids or escapes detection, arrest, trial or punishment. However, parents cannot be charged as an accessory after the fact when their child is the criminal

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Florida has a criminal statute covering accessory after the fact...

As I read the statute (777.03), the parental exemption in parapgraph (1)(a) does not apply to murder per (1)(c)...
(c) Any person who maintains or assists the principal..., or gives the offender any other aid, knowing that the offender had committed a crime and such crime was a capital, life, first degree, or second degree felony, or had been an accessory thereto before the fact, with the intent that the offender avoids or escapes detection, arrest, trial, or punishment, is an accessory after the fact. (emphasis added)
-- Source: https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2021/777.03

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Dead horse ... whack ... whack

I think they do this at great peril. If they lose, they could get saddled with the defendant's legal expense.