• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pardon a rant (or why I vacation in Mexico)

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Many, many, many, many rubber bands around your wallet and in your front pocket at all times (and not in a loose outside pocket either).

Be smart.

Since my experience, in addition to front pocket wallet, When traveling, I have also stashed another wallet in my briefcase with one credit card and some cash.

I indeed learned my lesson.

Mike

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2012/01/49-kidnappings-per-day-occurred-in.html

http://insightcrime.org/insight-latest-news/item/1560-tracking-the-evolution-of-kidnapping-in-mexico

http://www.solutionsabroad.com/en/security/security-category/kidnapping-in-mexico.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ping+mexico+tourists&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Kidnapping

Incidents of “express kidnapping”, where individuals are forced to withdraw funds from automatic teller machines (ATMs) to secure their release, particularly in urban areas is increasing. The use of ATMs located inside shopping malls during daylight hours may reduce the risk.

Kidnapping for financial gain also occurs in Mexico and there have been allegations of complicity by police officers. We recommend discretion when discussing your financial or business affairs so as not to present yourself as a prospective target.

Virtual kidnapping by phone is a common scam in Mexico. If you receive a call from someone demanding payment for the release of an arrested or kidnapped family member you should not divulge any personal information but take the phone number of the person calling and report the call to the nearest police station.

Express Kidnappings

While kidnap for ransoms have become a special concern in Mexico, the rate of express kidnappings is also increasing at alarming speed. Express kidnappings are short-term abductions wherein a victim is apprehended and usually taken to multiple ATMs and forced to make withdrawals. In some cases, the victim is held until midnight, when the ATMs reset themselves, in order to withdraw more money. In rare cases, this process is repeated for several days until the entire account has been emptied. The typical express kidnapping lasts for a matter of hours and is settled for a few thousand dollars. Carjacking can evolve into these kidnappings. Targets are often chosen by the way they are dressed, the vehicle they drive, or by the facilities they frequent, such as expensive restaurants.
Virtual Kidnappings
Virtual kidnapping has become another alarming trend in Mexico. Criminals who commit these kidnappings do not actually kidnap anyone; instead, they merely convince their target’s loved ones that the individual is in their custody. Virtual kidnappings rely on the element of surprise and demands for a ransom within the hour, giving no time for families to consider their options or contact authorities. Ransom demands can range anywhere from $50 to tens of thousands of dollars; as no one is actually kidnapped, ransoms are generally significantly lower than real kidnappings for criminals to target a wide range of victims, including middle class citizens and ensure immediate payment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11459463

In my original post, it is this type of sensationalizing I was talking about concerning Mexico. My guess is you can find similar tabloid style blogs around the world from extraneous groups with agendas. Most go unnoticed and unbelieved but whatever is posted about Mexico from such non descript organizations like CLPH and Borderlinebeat become gospel.

BTW, from the U.S. Department of Justice: "797,500 children in the USA (younger than 18) were reported missing in a one-year period of time studied resulting in an average of 2,185 children being reported missing each day." Just think what I could do with this information to discourage families in Europe from visiting the USA.

Mike

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
We were also accosted by the gypsy children in Rome. I ended up hitting one of then with my guide book when they wouldn't leave us alone. While in Madrid last year there was a sign inside a Starbucks warning of purse thieves. We met a woman who had her purse strap slashed on the Metro. Before the trip I bought a great purse that has meshing in the straps so it can't be cut. Also has hooks on all the zippers to lock them to the side and a big locking hook so you can attach it to a chair.

I love Mexico and have never felt unsafe. I also enjoy walking around New York city even at night by myself. Maybe I'm just nuts. :rofl:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I love Mexico and have never felt unsafe. I also enjoy walking around New York city even at night by myself. Maybe I'm just nuts. :rofl:
No, I don't think you're nuts -- on the contrary, I think your outlook on the world is refreshingly adventurous. Life is too short to live in constant fear. I kind of feel sorry for those who are so easily persuaded by sensationalized stories of Mexico to the point where they vow to never travel there.

But then again, it just leaves more opportunities for us! :whoopie:

Kurt

BC Bum

Reaction score
Yes, it's a conspiracy by the world press to destroy the Mexican tourist industry- of course! NZ, Australia, UK- they all are jealous of the Mexican tourism juggernaut and want it stopped. Hence the fabricated sensationalized stories.

I'd give some hard facts and stats from the Mexican Justice department, but they're really not that reliable since they are pretty much part of the problem. And the Mexican press- well if you do any investigative reporting and ruffle anyone's feathers, you'll most likely disappear as well.

If you're position is that Mexico is as safe as the US I can't even bother talking to you. Next you'll be telling me based on the statistics Afghanistan is safer that the US.

And yes I do know someone who was kidnapped in Mexico and held for ransom.

e.bram

Reaction score
Poster are talking comparing resort areas in Mexico to downtown major cities in Europe. Nobody mentioned Mexico City, or if they dare visit a walk downtown there.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Once again; no one participating in any 'is it safe in Mexico or not?' thread will convince anyone else away from their preconceived entrenched position. If you believe Mexico is a 'safe' tourism destination, your opinion isn't changed. If you believe Mexico in a 'unsafe' tourism destination, your opinion isn't changed either.

Congratulations.

Jim

BC Bum

Reaction score
That's right-these threads rarely change anyone's mind. For the record, I never said Mexico was unsafe. I've been going there for thirty years and I will continue to go. I love the country and the people. I said that the kidnapping problem is spreading. I do see a trend of crime becoming worse and it does concern me.

But the knee-jerk reactions that you get whenever the words crime and Mexico are in the same sentence are ridiculous.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Poster are talking comparing resort areas in Mexico to downtown major cities in Europe. Nobody mentioned Mexico City, or if they dare visit a walk downtown there.

Ok - where do you think you're safer? On the beach in Waikiki or on the beach in Cancún or Puerto Vallarta?

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Ok - where do you think you're safer? On the beach in Waikiki or on the beach in Cancún or Puerto Vallarta?

Basically the same from my perspective - except Cancun and Puerto Vallarta are a heckava lot closer and a lot less crowded.

Mike

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was so reluctant to take my first trip to Mexico in 2007; I was just going for the weather and the luxury accomodations. A funny thing happened....I fell in love with the culture, the food, the people, the history, the sidetrips! I've gone back each winter and try to stay longer each time (timeshare part time, vacation rentals or small hotels to supplement). I finally started converting my US$ to pesos on the third trip and have even learned a little Spanish and will attempt to learn more. When I hear people talk negatively of Mexico and I ask them if they've never been (and the answer is no) I tell them "that used to be me before I gave it a try". :whoopie:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I was so reluctant to take my first trip to Mexico in 2007; I was just going for the weather and the luxury accomodations. A funny thing happened....I fell in love with the culture, the food, the people, the history, the sidetrips! I've gone back each winter and try to stay longer each time (timeshare part time, vacation rentals or small hotels to supplement). I finally started converting my US$ to pesos on the third trip and have even learned a little Spanish and will attempt to learn more. When I hear people talk negatively of Mexico and I ask them if they've never been (and the answer is no) I tell them "that used to be me before I gave it a try". :whoopie:

Well said, Neesie; There is a famous saying at Toyota that has helped change the world of product manufacturing. That saying is "you don't understand unless you have gone to Gemba." This means that you must go see for yourself before you truly understand. Too many people listen to others who themselves listen to others; in such situations, the truth is seldom found.

Mike

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

Where's the "Like" button???

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm flattered.....

Where's the "Like" button???

I'm flattered...;)

And now as I'm planning my winter vacation to Cancun and Riviera Maya I have friends wondering why I want to go to Cancun. All their knowledge is based on tv reports of nightclubs and partying college students! We are a 50-something couple who can't wait to lounge on sugar-white beaches, wade in the Carribean sea, eat at gourmet restaurants in Cancun and at street vendor stops in PDC, hop on a bus to Chichen Itza, ferry to Isla Mujures, snorkel at Akumel and explore Isla Holbox to name a few things. We'll be there for about 3 weeks of Heaven.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm flattered...;)

And now as I'm planning my winter vacation to Cancun and Riviera Maya I have friends wondering why I want to go to Cancun. All their knowledge is based on tv reports of nightclubs and partying college students! We are a 50-something couple who can't wait to lounge on sugar-white beaches, wade in the Carribean sea, eat at gourmet restaurants in Cancun and at street vendor stops in PDC, hop on a bus to Chichen Itza, ferry to Isla Mujures, snorkel at Akumel and explore Isla Holbox to name a few things. We'll be there for about 3 weeks of Heaven.

And again, Like, Like, Like! We rarely drink, have never been to a nightclub, and worry about teens and young adults drinking, drinking, drinking. They seem to survive it....but that's not my idea of a vacation, and there ARE some lovely family resorts that don't have that 'vibe'.

Deer Path

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with your point on them giving Mexico a bad name to tourists. We have not been to Europe but go to Mexico 3 times every year. Cabo, Mazatlan and Cozumel and we really love Mexico and have not had a problem. We have many people question us about going there because of the crime but we always come back with the point that there are many cities and places in the USA that we would not feel safe.

No matter where one goes you have to use common sense and pay attention to your surroundings.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
So true. How many tourists are killed in the US every year? Some guy has been running around D C with a hammer for a few weeks, yet I can't get my family to go to Mexico. Ridiculous!

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rarely drink, have never been to a nightclub, and worry about teens and young adults drinking, drinking, drinking. They seem to survive it....but that's not my idea of a vacation, and there ARE some lovely family resorts that don't have that 'vibe'.

I could understand locals losing patience with tourists. Drunk and disorderly groups must be very difficult to tolerate.

Last edited: