• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paniolo Greens or Wyndham Kona Resort- or somewhere else?

cttay217

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all the craziness going on with travel right now, we have decided to forego our planned cruise in Europe this summer and will now be looking to go to Hawaii instead. I was able to reserve a week in Kauai on Marriott points and now looking for a week on the Big Island. We will not be using timeshare time, we are used to larger accommodations so I am looking at these types of accommodations. ( paying out of pocket). I have been able to reserve a week at both Paniolo Greens and the Wyndham Kona Resort- both look nice, although Paniolo Greens is half the price. Since it seems we are going to lose some money with this cruise, I am trying to be economical when possible but also don't want to make a poor decision solely based on cost. This trip will be DH and myself, as well as my son who is 16. For this trip, we will really just looking to have some quality family time - relax at the resort, visit the beach, volcano and maybe snorkel. I should probably also add that should everything continue healthy (fingers crossed), I will be 5 months pregnant, as well, so this will be the last big trip for a while and the last one for the 16 year old as an only child! We do not need a lot of bells and whistles, but also want to have a nice trip. Anyone have any strong feelings toward either of these properties or is there somewhere else that might even be a better fit. Open to all recommendations....

Last edited:

ared505

Reaction score
Hi, we go annually to Waikoloa so know the area fairly well. Paniolo Greens is quite a bit inland and 30 min north of Kona. It's a converted apartment complex around a golf course in a residential community with small shopping center. It's great on the budget but, IMHO, would not deliver the Hawaii beach experience you are probably hoping for.
You'll probably want some boating activities. I recommend Adventure X Boat Tours. We've done whale tours with them for years. Whales won't be around for you, but they have other tour types, e.g. dolphins, manta rays, etc.
I hope you have a great time. The Big Island is a very different landscape from typical Hawaii but has loads to offer.
-Alice

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We loved our time at Paniolo Greens. It is a little upland and a drive from Kona. Patti noted that the local grocery store had better prices than the Safeway in Kona. Do not shop at the Grocery Store at the Queen's Shopping Center in Waikoloa. In addition to all the normal snorkel trips you can do a night snorkel trip to swim with the Manta Rays. We greatly enjoyed this. I was the last one back to the Boat. They had to drag me back. We used Sea Quest south of Kona. They also do day snorkel trips to Two Step and Captain Cook's.

At Paniolo Greens if you are not a Member you have to pay extra for AC. They have 2 Bedroom Units on the First Floor and the Second Floor. The First Floor are all on 1 level. The Second Floor 2 bedrooms are on 2 floors with the bathroom upstairs.

cttay217

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we go annually to Waikoloa so know the area fairly well. Paniolo Greens is quite a bit inland and 30 min north of Kona. It's a converted apartment complex around a golf course in a residential community with small shopping center. It's great on the budget but, IMHO, would not deliver the Hawaii beach experience you are probably hoping for.
You'll probably want some boating activities. I recommend Adventure X Boat Tours. We've done whale tours with them for years. Whales won't be around for you, but they have other tour types, e.g. dolphins, manta rays, etc.
I hope you have a great time. The Big Island is a very different landscape from typical Hawaii but has loads to offer.
-Alice
Thanks for the quick follow up- I was suspecting that this may have been the case with Paniolo Greens and appreciate the feedback. Is there anywhere in Waikoloa that you would recommend?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I had friends stay at Paniolo Greens and they too thought that it was a bit too remote. They are

I've stayed at Kona Coast 2 a number of times and enjoy the timeshare resort. It is about 5 miles south of Kona-Kailua which is convenient for restaurants. Also, it is within walking distance of a shopping center with a grocery and pharmacy and a few restaurants. They have optional AC for about $10 a day (a good investment). Staff are friendly and responsive. Grill/bar on site.

I mention the Kona Coast 2 because it is a timeshare and is fairly roomy and it is part of Shell Vacation Club as is (I think) Paniolo Greens and is likely to be priced similarly.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
It amazes me how many States do not have a mail in option. I know CA is testing the week prior to help relieve the rush.
Thanks for the quick follow up- I was suspecting that this may have been the case with Paniolo Greens and appreciate the feedback. Is there anywhere in Waikoloa that you would recommend?

We are HGV members and own at Kings Land in Waikaloa beach resort. We love Kings Land, but all of the HGV resorts in Waikoloa are solid. You should be able to find these on Hilton.com or rent from an owner on Tug, Redweek, etc.

Another great place to look for rentals in Waikoloa is: https://www.waikoloavacationrentals.com/

Chris

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I agree the grocery store in Waikoloa Village has better prices but I love Island Gourmet in the Queen's Shops for certain things. I'm addicted to their poke, and they have a nice selection of seasoned meats, great for grilling.

cttay217

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback- I sort of thought that Paniolo Greens might not be a fit for my son. I think I will keep the reservation Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort and keep looking to see if I can pick up a last minute rental in Waikoloa Beach. I really appreciate all of the insight....

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are Shell Owners and after staying in the past at Kona Coast and Holua Resort, both Shell properties will be staying for a week at Paniolo Greens. The main reason is that we need two units and it's far less than the other two, and it is closest to the South Kohala Coast. We will have stayed for a week in a rental at Mauna Lani Resort and don't want to move far. I'm not a fan of staying in Kailua-Kona, although Kona Coast is on the south end and nice.

It's closer to areas we like to spend time on. The northern end of the island is older than the south, therefore it has more vegetation, although you wouldn't think so when you land at KOA in the huge lava field.

Paniolo isn't fancy, but overall I think it would be a good choice for you.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Paniola Green because it is less than 15 minutes away from the best beach on the island

perktd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own weeks at Kona Coast II, Shell points, and Worldmark points. I have stayed at Kona Coast I, Kona Coast II, Holua, Wyndham Kona, and Paniolo Greens and enjoyed them all even though I have preferences. I also own a condo in Waikoloa Resort. If you are looking to rent for your stay on the Big Island you should broaden your search beyond the timeshare resorts. Because Hilton, Marriott, Wyndham etc. have sophisticated marketing programs of a major scale they are able to charge premium rates for their accommodations. You should also look at condo's on VRBO or other sites as you might find a much better deal on a rental. You should be able to find a condo of similar quality to Hilton Grand Vacation Club in Waikoloa Resort for 70% or less of the Hilton price. It is a little more work as individual condo's are furnished and supplied differently, but look at the pictures and read the reviews and you can get a very good idea what to expect. I am not criticizing timeshare and I have used mine for many years. I'm just saying when you are going to pay cash rent you will benefit by comparing similar alternatives. In Waikoloa Resort alone, there are 5 timeshare properties and 7 condo properties that are all nice even though some have advantages over others. Don