• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

panama city what to do

tfezell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I chose a 1bd room fixed week 20 at Ocean towers or a 2bdroom float at landmark holiday beach resort - seems a bit hard to book week you might want, but would it trade better? I have a week 21 in the same area, could possible get a 2 week vacation in the panhandle fixed if I take the one bedroom, or take a chance on gettting a desired week in a 2 bedroom. Price is about equal. all timeshares I own are fixed, not used to having to jockey for the week I want. I want one of these, just don;t know which one.

rmatarrese

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go with 2BR float

I would always go for a 2br over a 1br for trade value. Assuming the float is not limited to fall and winter. However, you must be very disciplined and able to preplan well in advance if you go with a float week. If you want to wail till late winter to pick your vacation week, then don't go that route. All the prime weeks will be gone. If you can plan a year to 10 months in advance, than the float is certainly a better deal. Week 20 is not a great week. Sure it is warm, but that falls right at the end of school and because parents will not take kids out of school during the final weeks, demand is very low. Summer weeks are the key for PC. Spring break weeks 12-15 are good too. But May is still a lot better than hurrican fall or freezing winter.

tfezell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea, the float is early weeks 1 - 22, and 36 -50. Not the most desireable, but I prefer spring and fall at the beach over summer. I talked to the resort about how they do the float system, doesn't sound very desirable. You have to call a year and a week, on a Friday morning, before the date you wish to use. You must call at 6:00 am PST, and she said most available units for that week are taken witin 15 to 30 minutes after the start time of 6:00 am. They have a lot of fixed week owners, so best I could understand is that there are not a lot of units available to choose from. I would rather have a 2 bedroom for use and trade, but not if I can only get a nasty week. I don't really want to have to work that hard to use a week. I may pass on both and wait on a deal that I can not live without.

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
We own a July fixed week at Landmark and all the weeks from Memorial Day to Labor Day are fixed. There are a few fixed weeks during the other times but not many most are floating. I see them pop up once in a while. I never see a summer week available on RCI. Most of the owers use or rent them and don't give them to RCI. The float weeks you posted is the best floating weeks I have seen. Some floating weeks do not include that many weeks.

I have 2 albums on my photo site of Landmark:

http://picasaweb.google.com/EHophop8

Last edited:

tfezell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks hop, the other resort is further down the beach, more in the heart of things so to speak. And being week 20, I know a lot of graduation parties go on in PC. I don't know that I want to be at that location then.
So you enjoy your Landmark resort and think that I would be able to get a decent week using their float system?

bookworm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea, the float is early weeks 1 - 22, and 36 -50. Not the most desireable, but I prefer spring and fall at the beach over summer. I talked to the resort about how they do the float system, doesn't sound very desirable. You have to call a year and a week, on a Friday morning, before the date you wish to use. You must call at 6:00 am PST, and she said most available units for that week are taken witin 15 to 30 minutes after the start time of 6:00 am. They have a lot of fixed week owners, so best I could understand is that there are not a lot of units available to choose from. I would rather have a 2 bedroom for use and trade, but not if I can only get a nasty week. I don't really want to have to work that hard to use a week. I may pass on both and wait on a deal that I can not live without.

You might consider picking up some Wyndham points so you can do direct internal reservations at the new Wyndham resort on Panama City Beach which I've heard is quite nice. You can also choose then to reserve 3 or 4 days instead of 7. This is a very easy reservation method. Availability is wide open as of right now for next May - even presidential units. The only downside in my perspective is that the newest resorts require a lot of points to book - high MFs. Right now in the neighborhood of $800 MF for a one bedroom and $1100 MF for a two bedroom in prime season with my points. However that includes all trading fees and RCI membership. The same points can be used to book at various Destin resorts where available (quite a bit fewer points).

Just an idea to offer.

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks hop, the other resort is further down the beach, more in the heart of things so to speak. And being week 20, I know a lot of graduation parties go on in PC. I don't know that I want to be at that location then.
So you enjoy your Landmark resort and think that I would be able to get a decent week using their float system?

I don't have any weeks with floating so I can't really say how it would work for you. Like I said before you would have all the weeks except summer where I have seen other floating weeks with lesser weeks. We bought ours a couple years ago and we are enjoying it and it's an easy drive for us on I-10 from Houston.

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a 2 bedroom float at the Landmark. We were there during Spring Break last year and it wasn't too bad. You have to be 25 (give or take a year), to check in so that limits springbreakers a little. When we drove farther towards town, it was a nightmare but by the Landmark it is fine. We have had some trouble booking weeks. Basically for some weeks you need to call exactly when the phones open. Two years ago I faxed a request, mailed a request and called 10 minutes after the phones opened. I still couldn't get a reservation. The lady told me they only had 6 two bedroom units available to book for that week. It was the week of Memorial Day. All in all, we like the Landmark. The view is wonderful and the people are friendly. It may not be the most fabulous unit, but it is clean and well maintained. It is much better now that they have remodeled. It is a "homey" resort. Many of the same people year after year. It seems to have a little bit older group. We like it. We have gotten some good trades with it through II also. It is RCI and II. Debby

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some of the Holiday weeks could be fixed also therefore leaving less availablity for floaters. I found many of the fixed summer owners are older and have owned for 20 to 25 years and use it every year.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
like my Landmark - haven't stayed there enough - II will give me 2 weeks for it so I generally trade it to them.

have gotten spring break weeks - twice - one it was used by my nephew (with my SIL) - other time he cancelled at the last minute so rented it.

was told anything after labor day until memorial day is floating.

haven't tried for holiday weeks - don't like crowds.

the views are just beautiful.

besides do family things on most holidays - since my family is in different states - that can be a drive.