• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Palm Springs area issues "lockdown" order - How can we go to WMH or WDW?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Springs area has issued a shelter in place lockdown order. How can we go to WMH or WDW?
Shouldn't Vistana be required to issue unrestricted staroptions?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Springs area has issued a shelter in place lockdown order. How can we go to WMH or WDW?
Shouldn't it.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Call Vistana and see what their response is

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
We are here now. Very empty, but there are others. We stayed because of a major issue with our house we have no kitchen, here we have a kitchen And utensils.
same overall rules if we were home, stay inside; and the weather here is better than SOCAL right now. Nice to be able to walk outside, everyone is respecting space. Some folks are at the pools.
Staff has been great and we have extended our stay and not have to move rooms ( ironically able to use restricted options}. When they did our tidy the room smelled of ammonia, which we are ok with.
grocery stores same as at home. Hotel parking is empty.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
AFAIK, Palm Springs is the only city to issue a shelter in place order:

Palm Desert (WDW's location) and Rancho Mirage (WMH's location) have not issued this order. I'm not commenting on whether they should or shouldn't. We're in Palm Desert this week ourselves. The resort we're at (Desert Breezes) is very quiet, but it's still been a pleasant stay. Just lounging around.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple of other notes:
Golf course is open
Pool still open
( my guess is that will change)
Hotel is at 6% capacity according to staff
Guess villas are 25% ( estimate)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you call to cancel you can get restricted Star Options, so I am not sure what's the question. There is no exception given. Short notice cancellation = restricted SOs. Resorts are not closed.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you call to cancel you can get restricted Star Options, so I am not sure what's the question. There is no exception given. Short notice cancellation = restricted SOs. Resorts are not closed.
But this.

The world is on the same level of travel restriction as Iran.

How do I get to this open resort (Mexico in my example) ?
b8daa9eec431e04953ec85046321350a.jpg
219f87481f3a1c5348f23e1563a87119.jpg

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good point on Mexico, plus probably will put restrictions on that boarder soon. Still will allow you to cancel, just restricted options. Argh....

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Being an owner means that we take the risk of whatever happens to the property. If my water pipe bursts, I need to pay to repair. In the case of timeshare, if my week cannot be utilized, I am on the hook for it. This is different from booking a hotel where you are merely a guest and if it is refundable cancellation, you can cancel and walk away.

Giving leeway to an owner who lost a week to freely share a week with another owner means there is not enough weeks for both to share at a later time.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being an owner means that we take the risk of whatever happens to the property. If my water pipe bursts, I need to pay to repair. In the case of timeshare, if my week cannot be utilized, I am on the hook for it. This is different from booking a hotel where you are merely a guest and if it is refundable cancellation, you can cancel and walk away.

Giving leeway to an owner who lost a week to freely share a week with another owner means there is not enough weeks for both to share at a later time.
Yet deposited weeks in II slush around for years. There is plenty of capacity in the systems to absorb banked star options over the next three years.

I sincerely hope, based on your points above those working at the timeshare resorts continue to get paid, not furloughed. Otherwise our timeshare management companies are taking out of both sides of their mouths.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point on Mexico, plus probably will put restrictions on that boarder soon. Still will allow you to cancel, just restricted options. Argh....
So the state department is telling me not to travel. Does my travel insurance kick in to pay the MF / foregone star options or does it still exclude because pandemic.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yet deposited weeks in II slush around for years. There is plenty of capacity in the systems to absorb banked star options over the next three years.

I sincerely hope, based on your points above those working at the timeshare resorts continue to get paid, not furloughed. Otherwise our timeshare management companies are taking out of both sides of their mouths.
There is alot more leeway in II as there is plenty more capacity, hence we see lots of getaways, 2-for-1 and free ACs posted into the accounts. Within internal system of each brand there is definitely less room to work with. Unless a resort is closed, workers are unlikely be furloughed. If they are indeed furloughed I do hope that the cost savings is passed back as surplus back to the operating costs which will result in lower MF the following year.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is alot more leeway in II as there is plenty more capacity, hence we see lots of getaways, 2-for-1 and free ACs posted into the accounts. Within internal system of each brand there is definitely less room to work with. Unless a resort is closed, workers are unlikely be furloughed. If they are indeed furloughed I do hope that the cost savings is passed back as surplus back to the operating costs which will result in lower MF the following year.
So let me deposit my restricted week into II

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So let me deposit my restricted week into II
Yes. My dear friends have to cancel their Princeville stay and I have been in discussion with them and we agreed that the best course of action is for them to deposit as 2 weeks (lock off) into II to extend the use/trade to end of 2022.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. My dear friends have to cancel their Princeville stay and I have been in discussion with them and we agreed that the best course of action is for them to deposit as 2 weeks (lock off) into II to extend the use/trade to end of 2022.

Is this a reservation within 60 days? I don't believe that they can deposit restricted Star Options into II.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are booked into WPORV for April 11-18 and are likely cancelling to comply with the governor's request to stay away (and perhaps dodge a restriction on domestic air travel that would strand us there). We can get a credit for air and cancel the rental car and there's May availability, although our villa will likely be in an undesirable location since it'll be a close in booking (a minor issue, I understand, but still annoying since we booked a full year out).

My question: if we rebook and there's still an issue with getting there or back, can we cancel and still have the restricted SOs to try again later in the year?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a reservation within 60 days? I don't believe that they can deposit restricted Star Options into II.
It is within 60 days and a home resort stay. Even though the SOs are restricted, the underlying week(s) can be deposited into II. It makes a difference as to whether there is an underlying home resort week or not.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now with shelter in place in California, will hotels and villas be allowed to stay open?

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is within 60 days and a home resort stay. Even though the SOs are restricted, the underlying week(s) can be deposited into II. It makes a difference as to whether there is an underlying home resort week or not.

I stand corrected. That may be what we end up doing with our SOs if we can’t decide when to go to Kauai. Right now I can flip the first week (we are there for 2, not one) to the other side of the second week to satisfy the governor. But I worry about what happens if (when?) he extends the requested moratorium.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Before the shutdowns they didn’t have to. Now I feel they need to be more flexible. Although, if the resort is open the resort it open and in their eyes they intent of you using your ownership is to go for the resort

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Hotels are still open. So I’m sure TS are as well. Most likely for current guest only.

The only hotels that are being used as potential shelters are not resorts. The State actually took over a hospital in NoCal so I’m sure if there are any foreclosed facilities, State will purchase.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
AFAIK, Palm Springs is the only city to issue a shelter in place order:

Palm Desert (WDW's location) and Rancho Mirage (WMH's location) have not issued this order. I'm not commenting on whether they should or shouldn't. We're in Palm Desert this week ourselves. The resort we're at (Desert Breezes) is very quiet, but it's still been a pleasant stay. Just lounging around.
Amazing how much can change in one day. Since this was posted yesterday, now all of California is on lockdown. Desert golf courses were trying to hold out but most if not all are closed now. Some of the nicer restaurants are offering great deals on take out and delivery. You can't beat the weather this time of year and there's nobody around.