• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Palm Desert golf

sandcfort

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Points
Hello all,

Thinking of heading to the Palm Desert resorts or Canyon Villas in Arizona. Do any of the three Palm Desert resorts- Springs Villas, Springs Villas 2, or Shadow Ridge offer discounted golf packages?
Does Canyon Villas offer discounts at Wild Fire?

ex: Hilton Head offers discounts on the Heritage Golf Collection all you can play fee, or cart fees only if staying at Heritage Club(?), or Manor Club in Williamsburg VA offers cart fees only at Fords Colony for owners (including points).

Any recommendation on which location is best or worst?

Thanks

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We prefer Palm Desert over Scottsdale, but both of them are very nice. Of course, you can visit Sedona from Scottsdale, which would be less than two hours away.

I know that you get a discount at the Marriott golf courses in Palm Desert, but I am not sure of the details. It may be best to contact them directly for details. I always check golfnow.com for potential deals at those courses as well as others in the area.

Enjoy which ever location you choose.

Best regards.

Mike

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about going there now to play golf? If yes, I would highly discourage that idea.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
To add on to my prior post and b2bailey's post, the summer is terribly hot. I was assuming you would go in the fall or winter time. However, the green fees in Palm Desert are heavily discounted at all courses starting the last week of May or first week of June. Some of my friends and I would go there for a week during the first week of the discounted fees and enjoyed playing. We would usually tee off around 9am. It would be around 100 degrees when we finished, so it wasn't too bad. And the golf is cheap.

Mike

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Desert are golf fees are significantly lower than Scottsdale/North Phoenix and Palm Desert courses are generally nicer for similar courses. The discount offered by the resorts are not cheaper than if you book through sites like Golfnow and Teeoff. If you book through the hotel/resort concierge you will end up paying more.

Now, if you go for an owner's update at Marriott, you can get 4 rounds of free golf, paying only for the cart fees of something like $25 per person. You will have to grin and bear it for 90 minutes.

A little known secret is a public course in the Palm Desert area, called Cimarron which is in excellent condition. It has both 9 holes and 18 holes. Cheap and good and it cannot be beaten. We also enjoy playing at both the Westin Mission Hills courses and JW Marriott Desert Springs courses. They are a little pricier.

Enjoy.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
The course at Shadow Ridge is very nice and very challenging. There are a lot of great courses in the area and there are plenty of deals to be found. I have not been to Scottsdale in many years but own at Shadow Ridge so go there and play often. As mentioned by VacationForever - Cimarron is a very good course as well.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Following this thread as we'll be at Desert Springs I in mid-November. Which courses would be the best for somewhat higher handicap golfers? We like nice, scenic resort-style courses, but want to keep the challenge realistic so as not to slow down play.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Following this thread as we'll be at Desert Springs I in mid-November. Which courses would be the best for somewhat higher handicap golfers? We like nice, scenic resort-style courses, but want to keep the challenge realistic so as not to slow down play.

Cimarron will be cheap and good, and great for higher handicap. While it is not in a resort setting, it is still pretty and enjoyable.

The Palm Course is a little easier than the Valley Course in Desert Springs. Both are beautiful but Valley Course as the name depicts, has alot of valleys throughout the couse and while beautiful, I find it a little more challenging. You don't really know where the ball lands. Start with the Palm Course.

I have not played at Shadow Ridge courses but have played plenty many times at the courses at Westin Mission Hills as well as Desert Willow. We love having so many great courses to choose from.

Enjoy!

We will be spending 2 weeks in Jan/Feb and plan to put in alot of rounds when we are there.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas

Cimarron will be cheap and good, and great for higher handicap. While it is not in a resort setting, it is still pretty and enjoyable.

The Palm Course is a little easier than the Valley Course in Desert Springs. Both are beautiful but Valley Course as the name depicts, has alot of valleys throughout the couse and while beautiful, I find it a little more challenging. You don't really know where the ball lands. Start with the Palm Course.

I have not played at Shadow Ridge courses but have played plenty many times at the courses at Westin Mission Hills as well as Desert Willow. We love having so many great courses to choose from.

Enjoy!

We will be spending 2 weeks in Jan/Feb and plan to put in alot of rounds when we are there.
Shadow Ridge is a great course for all handicap levels *except* for a few holes! 18 has a creek running down the Fairway with water next to the green. It is a tough hole for any handicap from any of the tees! It has quite a bit of water for a desert course as well.