• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Palm Beach in July? Really?

markbernstein

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be more of a rhetorical question than anything.

It's been a while since I needed to care about the weeks calendar at Oceana Palms, where we own Gold. We traded for DC points in 2011, and we're going there (for the first time) this November. But we'll probably want to go somewhere else in 2013, so I'll be evaluating our options for both DC points and a week-based trade.

For the latter, I went to Interval to look at the TDI. My assumption going in was that the best reservation to make in Gold season would be the week leading to, or including, Memorial Day. Nope. The highest Gold rating went to week 25, with weeks 26 through 29 just below it. I figure that as July 4th week, followed by the rest of July.

So, does Interval have this right? Do people really like to go to Palm Beach in July? Seems awfully hot to me.

cigarboo

Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else, but for me, end of June to July is when I would like to go to Palm Beach. My kids are out of school and the beach is beautiful there. School vacation is always peak time. I don't bank on spring break because the weather might still be chilly for the beach. In the summers, even if it's rainy, I can pretty much ensure hot weather for the beach and pools.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got two units for Ocean Point this 4th of July week. Can't think of a better time of the year. It will be HOT, but that is what I want in the summer. A beach is only a vacation to me if the ocean is warm enough to swim in, and the summer is when that is a sure thing. Also, 4th of July week is the best year of the summer, so why wouldn't that have a high trade demand. If you do not have kids or your kids have been away from sports for a while, you cannot discount how popular the last two weeks of July are for families. The last two weeks of July can be the only break families get from sport schedules all year (outside of Christmas). Baseball ends a week or two after 4th of July and football and soccer practice usually doesn't begin until August 1st or so.

Absolutely a July week at any beach in the Summer is going ot be in very high demand -- if not one of the most demanded times of the year!

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got two units for Ocean Point this 4th of July week. Can't think of a better time of the year. It will be HOT, but that is what I want in the summer. A beach is only a vacation to me if the ocean is warm enough to swim in, and the summer is when that is a sure thing. Also, 4th of July week is the best year of the summer, so why wouldn't that have a high trade demand. If you do not have kids or your kids have been away from sports for a while, you cannot discount how popular the last two weeks of July are for families. The last two weeks of July can be the only break families get from sport schedules all year (outside of Christmas). Baseball ends a week or two after 4th of July and football and soccer practice usually doesn't begin until August 1st or so.

Absolutely a July week at any beach in the Summer is going ot be in very high demand -- if not one of the most demanded times of the year!

Yea, I never understood the whole thing of people wanting to go to Florida beaches in the winter with the weather being iffy and may not be warm enough to swim in. But I can appreciate the "snowbird" types that want to escape the harsh winters of the Northeast and Midwest and I guess 60-70 degree weather on the beach is better than -10 degrees at home.

Lardan

Reaction score
Going to BeachPlace Towers and Ocean Pointe in June, our favorite month to go, but we live in Florida.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a gold at the Ocean Club in Aruba. I wouldn't go any other time. Too crowded during the winter months. We are going to be there for two weeks (I traded my Barony Beach silver for a week) for a total of two-weeks, June 23-Jul 7. :cheer:

We were in Ft. Lauderdale in December 2010. It was cold much of the week. Wouldn't do that again.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to BeachPlace Towers for this past July 4th week. Fantastic fun.
Summer is platinum at BeachPlace.

Warm weather but not hot. The coast is always more temperate than inland places like Orlando.

Also, the II demand index is influenced greatly by school calendars.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, does Interval have this right? Do people really like to go to Palm Beach in July? Seems awfully hot to me.

Mark, we are with you. I guess when you are from the North you want to escape in the winter and enjoy the warm summer weather at home. Even now living in NC we plan to vacation in ME/MA/RI or MI during the summer months. I'd prefer to head to FL or Aruba in January!

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent my summers as a kid(which was in the 1970's) vacationing on Sanibel Island. We would go for about 10-12 days, loved it. The alternate summers we would go to the OBX. We once stopped at WDW and stayed at the Contemp. for a night. Orlando in July is just brutal, but not on the coasts.

Well I've got a family member, who refuses to do FL in the summer. We've usually do DVC Vero Beach for spring break, usually a few days of wearing a windbreaker and we break around Easter. Vero Beach is a tough internal booking at the 7 month window for summer.

Spotted a a few June 2brs at Ocean Pointe and a Hyatt Beach House that peaked my interest in II, but got shot down. Off to Beaver Creek for ballet, mountain biking and white water rafting.

markbernstein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, it makes a lot more sense now. I forgot to take the temperature of the ocean into account. And I do know about school calendars, but didn't give that enough weight. Thanks, everyone!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea, I never understood the whole thing of people wanting to go to Florida beaches in the winter with the weather being iffy and may not be warm enough to swim in. But I can appreciate the "snowbird" types that want to escape the harsh winters of the Northeast and Midwest and I guess 60-70 degree weather on the beach is better than -10 degrees at home.

I cant figure out why people want to come to Florida in the Summer. We Floridians are trying to get out of town then. Its too damned hot

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score

A few MLK weekends when we've been at WDW, it was like -20 at home. Yep that upper 60's weather and wearing shorts felt great!

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cant figure out why people want to come to Florida in the Summer. We Floridians are trying to get out of town then. Its too damned hot

Yea, the thing with me is that I live in Washington, DC metro area. Our winters are not too harsh except for the occasional nor-easter snow storm we get ever 8 years or so. Our winters are relatively mild compared to folks in the greater northern states. Rarely does it get below zero here and adverage temps are in 30-40s. We do get our cold days, dont get me wrong.

But for me to go to FLA in the winter and it be 60 degrees, I would be upset. 60's is not shorts weather for me so I would still feel a chill. And I'm not going to the beach to look at the water for 7 days and not get in it. Again, I know 60s may be on the low side and the weather may be much nicer the further you go south on average, but if i really wanted to escape to sun time in the winter, I would go to Aruba.

JBRES1

TUG Member
Reaction score
markbernstein; So said:
Last year before I deposited me Ocean Pointe Gold week with II, I called II to ask what week they would like to have.
Was told that the week that covered July 4 th would be about the best I could give them for the summer months, followed by the last week of July.
I get the July 4 thing, but is wasn't till I looked at my youngest kids summer plans that the last week of July became clear. The last week of July is for the most part the time of year that my family can all travel without worry of missing summer school, summer sports, and the start of fall practice for the high school sport programs.
My sons baseball ends the week of July 20th, my one daughter needs to be back at school on August 1st, and my middle daughter needs to be back to school by Aug 6 th.

Jim Breslin

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sis and the 3 boys spent July 4th in Ft Lauderdale two summers ago with me. I brought the boys their return plane tickets after my sis told me NO WAY was she doing back to back weeks at the beach (Ocean City, then FLL).

She did back to back and had a great time. The 2 boys (15+17) had been there before on individual trips with me (happy to be back), the 9 yo boy's first trip, everybody had their own bed, and sis & I had private BDRs. The weather was cooler by 10+ degrees each day from the DC area (where their Dad was at work) and the breeze off the ocean was just pleasant. She had spent 3 summers in college working in Boca - 25 years earlier. She liked not cooking & just walking to eat dinner; going to Key Largo; 10,000 Island Park; fireworks on the beach; afternoon at the pool with icy drinks.

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We spent last Labor Day weekend in Key West. It was a couple degrees cooler than DC was - high 80's. We had a great time. I haven't found Florida beaches to be any hotter than Md or Delaware beaches in summer except the Florida beach water is much warmer and I love it.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I practically live at the beach in the summer here in FL. It's just too hot to stay home. I'd much rather be at the beach where at least you get a sea breeze and can jump in the ocean if it gets unbearable. Us Floridians only do beach in the summer. We leave the winter weeks to you polar bears. :cool:

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should be quiet about how great the Florida beaches are in the summer. I don't want my summer Florida trades to dry up. :)

On a personal note, I hope I never get too old where I can't understand why beach resorts would be so popular in the summer. Summer is for the kids and families! I especially do not want to be one of those people who act like children are poison whenever they jump into a hot tub or pool. Who cares if a little kid accidently splashes you. 9 out of 10 times, the little kids are just so full of joy from swimming, they have no idea they are splashing anyone.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing HHI (Grande Ocean) and Fort Lauderdale (BeachPlace):

Hilton Head Island
July II demand index of 150
July average high 89 average low 74
July water temp average of 85

Fort Lauderdale
July II demand index of 120
July average high 90 average low 75
July water temp average of 86

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor

Not this native Floridian! We're going to BeachPlace in Ft. Lauderdale in May because we'll be in Key West in July. I love Key West in the summer (or any time of year) and I can't imagine spending a week at the beach in the winter.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Maybe we should be quiet about how great the Florida beaches are in the summer. I don't want my summer Florida trades to dry up. :)

I think you're right. ;)

Florida is a Terrible, terrible idea in the summer.
Stay away, go north, go anywhere but Florida.
It's just awful down here in the summer. :p

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Living in Kansas where temps can excede 100 in July, the Florida beaches are a welcome alternative. Since you live in Michigan, I can understand why FL is more appealing in the brutally cold winter months. When we lived in the Cleveland area snow belt, we never left the area in the pleasant summer months. We now enjoy mountain areas in the summer to get away from the Midwest heat and humidity, but plan to enjoy a Gold week at Oceana Palms next year. It is all relative.

As a fellow Oceana Palms Gold week owner, I will never trade my week for DC points. They are among the worst DC point values in the MVC system: high MF with low DC points. I can get more points for my Ocean Pointe silver week which has much lower MF. If you don't plan to use your week, I suggest reserving a high demand summer week to trade in order to get value. I personally love the resort and plan to use it every year. We usually travel in late Oct or early Nov for one last beach week before winter. The weather this past year was rather windy and the surf was rough, but we usally experience pretty good weather. I think you will enjoy your trip. We plan to be there the first week of Nov this year, and I will be happy to provide suggestions for the area.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I think you're right. ;)

Florida is a Terrible, terrible idea in the summer.
Stay away, go north, go anywhere but Florida.
It's just awful down here in the summer. :p

absolutely right, and thanks for being so brutally honest.......the beaches are covered in sand, your ears are whistling from the breezes, people are walking around half naked, and the darn pools are all full of water. wouldn't even consider it.

RedHook

Reaction score
I'd prefer to head to FL or Aruba in January!

Florida in January? Do you know how schizophrenic the weather is here in the winter? Literal example that I'm living right now: we had a freeze warning Sunday night/ Monday morning with temperatures falling to 34 degrees. Two days later, we are in the mid-80's. No way I would plan a beach vacation around that.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida in January? Do you know how schizophrenic the weather is here in the winter? Literal example that I'm living right now: we had a freeze warning Sunday night/ Monday morning with temperatures falling to 34 degrees. Two days later, we are in the mid-80's. No way I would plan a beach vacation around that.

We've had spring break trips(around Easter) to Vero Beach that have been like that. One day in the 80's, next day upper 60's and gusts up to 40mph. I'm having a problem getting around the :eek: airfare for a week on the beach when 3-4 days I'm wearing long pants and a windbreaker.